[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Absolute beginner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Hey, /p/, im new to photography and not a very art inclined person. ive started taking pictures just to practice composition and balance and stuff, but find myself sorta struggling to know what to look for and how to improve, so im wondering if anyone here can suggest good beginners guides?
ideally free ones since i am about to spend a bunch of money on a camera. (well, a couple hundred, but im poor)

pic semi related, i want to take pictures of nature and people.

also, id use a picture of my own, but i dont not have them on my pc
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+photography+guide

Have fun.
>>
If you have a local library go check out and browse the photography section in non-fiction. I started with a couple of books aimed at introductory photography classes for design students and branched out into books that deal more deeply with composition.

As for cameras, you don't *have* to buy a dslr/mirrorless system, but that will give you more control over your image and more camera to grow into. It depends on what you want. If you are buying into one of these systems, expect to spend $300 minimum even if you are going for used gear. I would recommend a pentax K-50 on the grounds that it has two control wheels so that you can control aperture size and shutter speed without having to press extra buttons. This feature is not on entry level nikon and canon bodies, but then again, it depends. I like shooting in manual mode rather than letting the camera decide everything for me. Remember though that you can get good compact cameras that can take great pictures for less money. The only downside of this is that you don't have the same amount of features and interchangeable lens systems (especially if you are shooting wildlife where having zoom is a must).
>>
already spent a long time googling it, and found some, but i didnt find much that seemed useful. thats why im here.

thats a good idea, will check library. will most beginners books be pretty good?
my friend is getting rid of her canon 350d, so i was going to just buy that from her for $150 aud with a couple spare lenses. it seemed like a good deal?
>>
cambridge in colour
>>
Try Youtube lots of good vids helping out a beginner, just find some that works for you. Tony northdrup has some good videos covering the basics.
>>
>>2941846
Try FARTing

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/fart.htm
>>
>>2941864
Yeah there isn't too much variation between books--they all have to teach the basics of light and form. Browse a couple and find one or two that seem to click with you. As for the camera, that's a 10 year old camera. Sensor tech has advanced quite a bit since then, but if it has a couple of lenses it might not be a horrible deal to start you out with.
>>
awesome! thanks everyone!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.