[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

10k shopping spree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

File: jackpot-018.jpg (271KB, 1648x1207px) Image search: [Google]
jackpot-018.jpg
271KB, 1648x1207px
My gf's boss has offered her a gift - free camera gear worth 10k - and I need your advice!

She can get either any full frame body and any two lenses or any crop sensor body and any three lenses.

The total price can't exceed 10 grand.

Also, it ha to be Canon gear.

What should I tell her to get? She has to choose by 9pm EST.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
Image Width1648
Image Height1207
>>
The boss is fucking the hell out of your girlfriend.
>>
>>2940696

Haha no he's just super rich. Seriously help me :o

I figured

1) 7D + all three f/2.8 zooms or

2) 5D + 24-70mm + 70-200mm
>>
>>2940699
>canon
>>
>>2940700

What?

I shoot Nikon, but I don't know anything about Canon so I'm asking y'all
>>
>>2940699

>super rich
>buying your attractive girlfriend 10,000 dollars worth of stuff "just cause"
>holds a position of authority over her

dude, please.
>>
>>2940699
Your pricing must be fucked all to to hell.

You can get a 5D3 with the 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 50mm 1.2 L, and the 16-35 f/2.8 all for $9K, and still have enough extra money to buy additional batteries, etc.

What does your girlfriend do again, besides sleep with her boss?
>>
>>2940708

She works for a multinational conglomerate. The gift comes from a person who hasn't even met her - not even in the same country. All the work is remote. Gifts like this are just part of the Asian culture.
>>
>>2940716
What is she going to be using the camera for? That's probably the most important aspect.
>>
>>2940715

The price is a secondary consideration, actually. It's just the body type (full frame or crop) plus number of lenses that really matters.

OK, and yes, for the sake of ending the jokes, she's sleeping with the entire management team and I'm a massive cuck. Now please help me choooose!
>>
>>2940718

Travel photography. Her last trip was to the Himalayas. Visits lots of local culture and villages too, so it's not all landscapes.
>>
>>2940715
>You can get a 5D3 with the... 70-200mm... and the 16-35 f/2.8

This sounds like a really balances combo.

She can grab a 50 f/1.4 out of pocket later.

Is the 16-35mm really good? Theres no Nikon analogue. Sounds like a weird, non-pro lens
>>
>>2940722
>>2940720
Ah, cool.

For mostly landscapes, I would personally go with the 5DSR(or 5DS) with 11-24 f/4L(or the new 16-35 L III, and either a 24-70 or 70-200, depending on her wants and needs, then, she can pick up some of the cheaper fast primes herself.

For a more versatile platform I would also look at the new 5D MKIV, which will have better DR and high ISO performance, better auto focus, more FPS, better handheld shooting due to less MP, and cool features like wifi connectivity and geotagging built right into the camera.
>>
>>2940724
The 16-35 is insanely sharp, and the 11-24 even more so at the same focal lengths. Personally, because I'm a vain piece of shit I would go for the 11-24 solely based on price knowing I could pick up he cheaper lenses out of pocket later. The ultra wide performance of those two lenses are pretty spectacular for landscape.
>>
>>2940730
>>2940728

Thanks for your responses. I'm checking the reviews and apparently the 16-35 f/4is actually better than the f/2.8. Or so photozone concludes.

I'll check out the 11-24 now.

>5D mark iv

Weirdly this isn't available to her. Only the old but still good mark iii. So I guess it's down to that or the 7D (is that the top cropped body?)
>>
>>2940736
No problem. As far as the 16-35 f/2.8 goes, version III was just announced and will start shipping at the end of the week. I'm interested to see the performance of it.

Not surprising the 5D4 isn't available, it was just released? Interesting though, does she contract for Canon or a company that does a lot of work for them?

Since it falls within the price, I would check out the 1DX MKII. It's capable of pretty solid imagery, but not so much in the realm of landscape with the lower MP count.
>>
>>2940743
>1DX MKII

Holy mother... The specs on that beast are unreal. She could get that, and be down to two lenses, but i think that that's best for sports and action photography.

Now I'm thinking that the 5D + the newest 16-35mm + 70-200mm is the way to go. Nice and balanced.

Carrying a third pro lens will be too heavy considering the terrain and the lengths of her days.

She works for a private media company based out of singapore but she's being sponsored by both UNICEF and Canon. Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I'll still be peeking in this thread over the hours to see if anyone has other ideas. Cheers.
>>
1Dx
24-70mm
or 35mm + 50mm
>>
>>2940769

That's ok, but not enough range. I could do:

7D + 11-24mm + 35mm f/1.4 + 70-200mm

That way she gets awesome ultrawide landscape shots, low light shots and a telephoto for great portraits and some wildlife.
>>
>>2940774
1D shits all over the 7D and to me the 7D feels a little plasticky.
Does she shoot landscape a lot? I can't figure out what to use 11mm on FF for, sounds way to wide to me. Widest I'd go personally is 24mm.
Does she even shoot wildlife? If not a 70-200 is not a good choice, even more considering that it's a rather stupid zoom range in my opinion. I'd rather go for a tele prime.
>>
>>2940695
She should get the best camera Canon has like Canon 1D X. Its awesome.

As for the lenses, you should get these:

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Lens (this zoom has latest, most advance optical elements)

Lensbaby Velvet 56mm f/1.6 SE (amazing for portraits)

Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Lens (awesome for details)

Sunex 5.6mm f/5.6 SuperFisheye (widest angle you can get, awesome for capturing the enviroment)

Samyang 500mm f/8.0 (she is a woman and probably cant carry huge telephoto lenses, this one is not the sharpest ever but its the most compact)
>>
If she's a photographer (hobbyism included), she'll decide for herself already. So I'm gonna assume she's not, and therefore won't like any of them 1dx and D5 and that stuff.

Have her buy an x-pro2 and a set of wide angle, standard, telephoto primes; a couple of spare batteries; 2x 32G of memory cards; a leather half-case; and the most decadently expensive standard zoom lens (24-70 range equivalent) there is. The Fuji X platform is good, light, useful, and second only to MF gear and Leicas in being deliriously expensive while not being a mainstream DSLR system.

Dunno how close that gets to $10k. That's so big a chunk of change that I don't really know. Maybe stick a bunch of hard disks, a colour-calibrated display, an editing computer, and various other duds in there as well such as a properly ladylike camera bag, and maybe insurance as well.
>>
>>2940794
Oh, and a couple of flashes, some wireless trigger stuff for off-camera work, reflectors, and so forth. Photobooks. Online courses and in-person workshops.

Time off work for getting good!

Fuck, asians are crazy. Bet all of this, if real, is gonna just end up as a status symbol.
>>
>>2940794
I'd suggest the same but as OP wrote the offer seems to be restricted to Canon equipment.
>>
File: 1307008270581.jpg (57KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1307008270581.jpg
57KB, 604x453px
>Buy 10k in canon gear
>sell it for 9.8k
>Buy whatever the fuck
>>
>>2940798

Yup it has to be canon gear.

OP here.

I think it's best to get the 7D plus three dream lenses.

So far I'm thinking

11-24mm f/4 USM L
35mm f/1.4 USM L II
70-200mm f/2.8 USM L IS II

It's mostly for travel photography.

These lenses cover landscape, low light and portraits/action/wildlife, respectively

That 70-300mm DO lens is amazing. I've never seen such a compact telephoto. It's like the size of a small can of beans. For travel, that's a serious benefit. But it's slow (no action shots or bokehlicious portraits), so it's a damned tough call.
>>
>>2940790
>1D shits all over the 7D and to me the 7D feels a little plasticky.
>Does she shoot landscape a lot? I can't figure out what to use 11mm on FF for, sounds way to wide to me. Widest I'd go personally is 24mm.
>Does she even shoot wildlife?

She does wildlife and landscapes. Lots of travel photography. So it's not in a controlled environment and so zooms are very convenient and desired.

Im thinking of sticking with the 7D. The 1D is a monster but she can only then get two lenses. Better to get a top tier cropped body with three lenses.

I always thought full frame was overrated. I look at my D750 shots vs my D7100 shots and, really, there's no discernible difference, except in the size of my wallet.
>>
>>2940797
>Fuck, asians are crazy. Bet all of this, if real, is gonna just end up as a status symbol.

She'll get good mileage out if this, don't worry. Taking shit tons of photos is part of her job.
>>
>>2940794
>>2940793

Sorry guys, has to be all canon gear only. No sigma or lensbabies or Samyangs. A shame. But canon is sponsoring her so dems the rules.
>>
>>2940720
>she's sleeping with the entire management team and I'm a massive cuck. Now please help me choooose!

Just FYI, word at the watercooler is that she's doing guys in other departments, subordinates, even the IT assistants.
>>
>>2940820
>get fantastic wide L lenses
>put on crop body

Sacrilege
>>
>>2940824
Well then. Why isn't she picking it all out herself? Too little of a gearfag?

Just take the x-pro2 suggestion and pick out the Canon equivalents. Full-frame body, L glass, nice tripod, a bunch of lighting gear. Tons of mileage, right?
>>
>>2940874

Hey man, L glass on a cropped sensor let's me take advantage of the sweet spot factor. Why go FF for all that shitty softness and vignetting?
>>
>>2940885
>Well then. Why isn't she picking it all out herself? Too little of a gearfag?

Yup.

Well, what two lenses would you recommend for a FF body, given that she's a travel photographer?

16-35mm and 70-200mm?
>>
>>2940927
Using a $3K Ultrawide lens specifically meant for FF cameras is retarded on a crop sensor. Like stupid retarded.
>>
>>2940930

Lel you're right, but she already has a 5D mark ii. She can slap the wide angle on that and use the telephoto on the 7D for extra reach. Also, the total resale value is higher if I choose 3 lenses plus a 7D than if I chose 2 lenses plus a 5D mark iii.
>>
>>2940934
Sucks she can't get the 5D IV, would be a nice bump in improvement over the MKII
>>
>>2940934
If resale is the big issue, why not just get the 1DX MkII?
>>
>>2940946
>1DX MkII?

Sadly that's not an option anymore. She just told me that the 5D mark iii is the only FF on offer.
>>
>>2940943
>Sucks she can't get the 5D IV, would be a nice bump in improvement over the MKII

Definitely. 5 years is an eternity in camera years1
>>
>>2940695
>Also, it ha to be Canon gear.
*has

You can't even do that right.

>What should I tell her to get?
Morals and a good work ethic.
>>
>>2940699
24-70 is overrated.

5D
11-24
70-200
and a nifty-fifty to fill the gap.
>>
>>2940993
>24-70 is overrated

Confirmed for not owning a 24-70.
>>
File: angry-pepe.jpg (7KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
angry-pepe.jpg
7KB, 236x236px
OP here

This is the most fucked up conclusion ever.

I told her to get the

5D Mark III
16-35mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 II

Boom. Solid set up. But somehow - I don't know how or why yet - she ended up with a FUCKING SONY system.

A7s II
24-70 f/4
70-200 f/2.8

I know even less about Sony than Canon so I read some reviews. Those lenses are just shit. Well, mediocre as fuck. Slow AF, shit bokeh, shit borders...

The A7S is, from what I can see, alright, but for travel photography, 12 MP is just retarded. Good bye landscapes. And the ergonomics... And the chaotic menu layout... WTF. A measly 300 shots per charge? Really?

I think I have to dump her. I can't be with someone this retarded.
>>
>>2941228

your whole relationship is a literal meme.

also her jap boss is fucking her via skype.
>>
>>2941229
>also her jap boss is fucking her via skype.

Yeah, I saw the mpgs
>>
>>2941228
>300 shots
>Sony A7
Good luck friendo, Sony has the worst battery life of just about any mirrorless camera
>>
File: IMG_3584.jpg (130KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3584.jpg
130KB, 900x600px
>>2941228
C U C K E D

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width900
Image Height600
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2941228
But I thought she was being sponsored by Canon?

The A7S II is aight, nothing special when it comes to photography, but I wouldn't have even considered it for travel photography, or if I wasn't planning on using the video functions. Shooting on the move the batteries suck awfully bad. When I was out of town, I couldn't keep the 5 batteries I had charged to save a life.

Gay.
>>
>>2941243
>but I wouldn't have even considered it for travel photography
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>2941247
It's a 12MP camera whose batteries can't even last two hours of shooting. I bought one, and it was a joke on anything other than video recording.
>>
>>2941269

Sony doesn't even include a charger. They expect you to charge the batteries while they're still in the camera. It's so stupid.
>>
>>2940716
>The gift comes from a person who hasn't even met her - not even in the same country.
I hate to break it to you, OP, but your GF is a camwhore. Mr. Yamamoto wants her to have better gear for their streaming sessions.
>>
>>2941228
>shit borders
HOLY FUCK OP'S DATING ISI!
>>
-1DX-mark ii for photojournalism, 5ds for landscape
-Canon 24-70 mkii
-Either canon 70-200 mk ii or 16-35 f2.8 depending on whether she does more photojournalism or landscape.
>>
>>2941296

You got it spot on. But she went Sony instead.

>>2941228

She's an idiot. All that money, thrown in the furnace.
>>
>>2941296
Too late, OP's skank has already been blacked by a Sonygger.
>>
>>2941300
>Sonygger

Lol I was wondering what the pejorative was for Sony. I only know lolympus. What's Pentax?
>>
>>2941301
credit to isi for coining sonygger.
only a southerner could.
Pentax is bento box, as they are aimed at children.
>>
>>2941307
>sonygger

Seriously, I'm still cracking up over that.

>Bento Box

Eh, we gotta come up with something better than that. Hey adults like Bento boxes too
>>
>>2941301
>What's Pentax?

Tampax
>>
>>2941316
No, anon...
Pentax with a Tamron lens is a Playtex Tampon.
>>
How could OP fuck up this bad?
>>
>>2941301
>What's Pentax?

Plebtax
>>
>>2940820

OP you are a retard or a troll.

5d MK4
24-70 L II
70-200 LII
35mm 1.4 LII
40 2.8
>>
>>2941341
>5d MK4
>24-70 L II
>70-200 LII
>35mm 1.4 LII

I recommended all of that in various configurations except the 24-70mm and the mark IV. 16-35mm is better for her needs and only the mark III was available. I know my shit, nigga. Not my fault she's retarded and got Sony.
>>
>>2941344
Break up with her. How do you expect her to raise your children if she can't even get the basics right.
>>
>>2941354
>Break up with her. How do you expect her to raise your children if she can't even get the basics right.

Break up with her. How do you expect her to raise her and her boss's children if she can't even get the basics right.

FTFY
>>
>>2941370

Kek
>>
>>2941370
I doubt the boss would let some random whore get pregnant, probably snipped or forces her via the coat hanger option.
>>
>>2940722
>>2940824
>>2940928
>>2941228
>Travel photography.
Is that what she does for a living, and gets paid by a multinational to do? Fucking how?
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.