[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What sort of aberration is this? Coma? It looks like a slight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: towers.jpg (117KB, 406x401px) Image search: [Google]
towers.jpg
117KB, 406x401px
What sort of aberration is this? Coma? It looks like a slight halo.

Why does it so often occur on the edge between buildings and sky?
It was taken with a glorious 85mm 1.8G - so its not like it was a shitty unsharp lens.

Can digital cameras just not compensate for the sudden change from building to sky?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D600
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern830
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)45 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:10:04 20:43:22
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length45.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width406
Image Height401
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2940166
Depends, the sharpest may be around 5.6-8 or even 11 in some cases. You need to shoot multiple photos of the same spot to see sharpening in the edges. The center will always be more sharp than the edges.
>>
I think its "edge contrast halo" from what i'm reading online.

It appears that they are a side effect of almost ANY sharpening on digital photographs. Photoshop sharpens by increasing edge contrast, so it makes the dark darker, and the light lighter. Sometimes the light getting lighter is incredibly obvious.

If thats the case Photoshop needs a "maintain contrast" sharpen setting. I'm going to have to manually correct it...

#digitalproblems
>>
>>2940170
>side effect of almost ANY sharpening

It's not a side-effect.
It's what sharpening purposely does.
>>
Issue resolved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU19UXuR1vM
>>
>>2940170
>Photoshop needs a "maintain contrast" sharpen setting

"sharpness" is local contrast.
It's not to be confused with resolution.
>>
>>2940170
t. clueless under 21 film shooter
>>
>>2940175
That's a lot of work to fix a problem he caused himself.

Couldn't he just apply some kind of mask to sharpen the bark without sharpening the tree against the sky?
>>
>>2940166
>glorious 85mm 1.8G
There's nothing glorious about that lens except that Nikon users, like Canon users, are typically extraordinarily ignorant of lenses outside of their own ecosystem.

That lens is trash.
>>
File: pe.gif (2MB, 209x213px) Image search: [Google]
pe.gif
2MB, 209x213px
>>2940182
>t.
>>
File: stan_nose_pinch.png (214KB, 432x458px) Image search: [Google]
stan_nose_pinch.png
214KB, 432x458px
>>2940184
Heres your hat and coat, please close the door on your way out.
>>
>>2940166
shoot raw.
it's called oversharpening.
>>
>>2940184
no need to get mad because your sony has no lens.
>>
>>2940184
It is a very good for the money and indeed very sharp.

In fact, using such a sharp lens is probably what contributed to the problem.
If the source is already sharp, and you add a lot of sharpening in post, then no wonder you get halo's becasue what else can be done to make an already sharp edge even sharper?
>>
>>2940170
>#digitalproblems

>he doesn't use an unsharp mask in the darkroom.
pleb.
>>
>>2940197
>If the source is already sharp, and you add a lot of sharpening in post, then no wonder you get halo's becasue what else can be done to make an already sharp edge even sharper?
Knowing how to sharpen a selection instead of THE WHOLE FUCKING IMAGE like a turbopleb, for one.
>>
>>2940202
If you don't have a sharp lens, it's perfectly sensible to sharpen the entire image.

And from what I understand OP didn't do it on purpose but had sharpening switched on by default.
>>
>>2940211
>If you don't have a sharp lens, it's perfectly sensible to sharpen the entire image.
Sure, if you like noisy skies and other traits of absolute beginners.
>>
>>2940199
USM is even more destructive than traditional sharpening.
>>
>>2940220
wow, you're really negative and edgy. you stand out in a bad way
>>
>>2940228
I though USM was the traditional method for film?
What other techniques are there?
>>
>>2940259
Deconvolution
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.