[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird cameras

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

What is the strangest camera you own or have ever come across?
>>
>>2937654
My uncle's neighbour has a camera collection, one of his most prized ones is a weird East-German camera which takes pictures at a 90° angle and uses some proprietary exotic film format. According to him, it was used by the Stasi to spy on people, even though it's by no means a miniature camera.
>>
Swing lense panoramic camera
>>
I don't think I have come across anything too strange irl. Went to an antique shop before they closed and gandered at a dark green 8mm beater, maybe it was used in a war? Think the tripod was made of wood.
>>
File: pxl2000.jpg (36KB, 469x326px) Image search: [Google]
pxl2000.jpg
36KB, 469x326px
bought a PXL2000 years ago, never used it but had plans of circuit bending it.
>>
Nothing truly weird.
Lomokino: hand crank movie camera from Lomography. 1 minute of 5fps on 35mm film

Canon Dial 35: shoots half frames and auto advances via a spring drive cranked by that knob on the bottom.

Also built a camera out of a flatbed scanner
>>
File: p187343672.jpg (83KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
p187343672.jpg
83KB, 500x400px
>>2937654
I want one of those Kodak cameras that shoots two images for a stereoscopic 3d effect. Saw one in the film Love by Gaspar Noé and I thought they might be fun.
Also, I made a paper pinhole camera.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePENTAX Corporation
Camera ModelPENTAX K10D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.6.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)67 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2009:08:03 12:28:21
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length45.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeMacro
>>
>>2937960
>>2937954
Are you all building off of years of knowledge of cameras or are their resources you use when building your cameras? I know a pinhole is pretty simple but a flatbed camera sounds really interesting.
>>
File: IMG_20160424_223014674.jpg (151KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_223014674.jpg
151KB, 1024x576px
>>2937976
Well a bit of both, I mean, the concept of camera obscura it's pretty simple and while I'm no physics expert I know enough to make them myself.
Besides that, I found a couple of great patterns for funny looking paper cameras that actually work with film so I decided to craft one or two.

As a bonus for this thread, I read an article about someone who converted a hole in a downed tree into a pinhole camera or some shit like that.

Equipment MakeMotorola
Camera ModelXT1563
Camera SoftwarePicasa
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:04:24 22:30:14
Exposure Time333/9991 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/2.0
BrightnessUnknown
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Focal Length4.67 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1024
Image Height576
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
Unique Image ID20354936fb5b19de0000000000000000
Geodetic Survey DataWGS-84
>>
>>2937954
>Also built a camera out of a flatbed scanner
Nice, was it difficult? Shouldn't be much more than disable the lamp, put it in a box and put a lens in it, right?
>>
>>2938083
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=flatbed+scanner+camera
>>
File: IMG_0682.jpg (55KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0682.jpg
55KB, 500x330px
>>2937976
I think I just saw some website where someone built a scanner camera and I just approximated what they did. Pretty simple in concept really. A camera is just a box with a opening in one side that casts light onto the opposite surface. A flatbed scanner just reads whatever is placed onto its scanning surface. So just build a box with a hole on top of the scanner, and you got a camera.

I built bellows (2 nested boxes) out of black foamcore and mounted a magnifying glass lens in it. To alter my the aperture, I cut various sized holes in cardboard and held them it in front of the lens when shooting. Thinking back, if I understand things correctly, i suppose it was more or less an f2.5-f5 lens.

I built it on a Canoscan scanner since they were turning up at Goodwill at the time for under $10 each. Nice thing about those scanners is they're bus powered, so with a laptop you could take it anywhere. And I used XSane to shoot. Focusing was trial and error. I always wanted to go back and figure out focusing distances that I could mark on the bellows, but never did.

Further work would've involved disabling the lamp on the scanner and modifying xsane to ignore the lamp warning. But that was more technical than I was willing to undertake, and it worked well enough as is.

Pic. Canon dial 35 since I forgot to post it earlier.

Image Width500
Image Height330
>>
>>2938083
Not absolutely necessary to disable the lamp, but you will get better results. With the lamp on you get soft focused images. So I guess it's a hipster holga scanner camera.

I kind of want to revisit it, plus with those cheap Windows tablets available now, I can make it even more portable than when I tried it with my netbook.
>>
>>2938102
If you leave the lamp on won't you just get a ton of light pollution from the inside of the box?
>>
>>2937949
I always wanted one.
>>
>>2938122
Compared to the amount of light coming in through a 3 inch wide lens, not a whole lot.

>>2938049
Was the hole used as the lens, or by hole do you mean the tree was hollowed out? I remember seeing a website or book where someone turned everything, including things like fruit, into a pinhole camera. As noted earlier, a camera is just a box with a hole. Anything you can hollow out, you can make into a camera.
>>
File: The-Reveal-front-10.jpg (792KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
The-Reveal-front-10.jpg
792KB, 1000x667px
>>2938532
Found the article
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2016/05/site-specific-pinhole-cameras/
Apparently they just use leaves or shit already perforated as the lens.
Searching for it I found this one as well (pic related) which is lovely
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2016/05/a-subterranean-camera-obscura/

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Width5616
Image Height3744
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:05:18 20:59:20
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/7.0
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length20.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto Bracket
White BalanceAuto
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.