[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys use Aperture mode for your shoots?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 2

Do you guys use Aperture mode for your shoots?
>>
>>2937011
Yeah
>>
>>2937011
Yes. Usually cause my shutter speed doesn't matter most of the time and the only thing I care is making sure my exposure is okay and I can't be arsed to go in manual settings to constantly do that shit. If I were doing my own thing then I'll go manual but if I need to be quick then I'll go aperture priority mode
>>
I would never go M because it's pointless
>>
>>2937033
How so?
>>
Time for birds in flight
Manual for macros
Aperture for everything else
>>
>>2937035
There's literally no need for it
>>
>>2937037
Except for unusual shit like.. sunset timelapse or sport event or something. Otherwise yeah, aperture priority for anything else.
>>
I usually keep full manual, but I keep my side piece in aperture mode. When I need to whip it out and don't have time to check settings, it comes in handy.
>>
>>2937042
Got any reason for keeping it full manual?
>>
>>2937045
not him but if your using a manual lens and the camera hasn't a clue what aperture your using its easier to just adjust aperture press the metering button/shutter speed adjust.

but then the metering isn't always spot on for some reason.

that's my excuse for using m all the time anyway

but unless you have a good camera with two spinny adjusts theres no point using m you just have to press loads of buttons to go in and out of aperture and shutter selection.

one thing that i hate about all affordable new lenses no fucking aperture ring.
>>
>>2937045

I started out using film lenses because they were cheaper, so manual is something I'm used to. Even now, I have a fast manual lens on my DSLR for street shooting, but I switch to an electronic lens for wider shots. Even then, I can change aperture and shutter using the dual dial controls on my camera body, so it's easier for me to adjust metering on the fly.
>>
>>2937056
>but unless you have a good camera with two spinny adjusts theres no point using m you just have to press loads of buttons to go in and out of aperture and shutter selection.

Pentax bodies are good with this. The dials make changing such things quick and easy.
>>
>>2937011
Manual for panoramas or when I'm trying to capture lightning bolts.

Aperture priority for everything else.
>>
>>2937076
lmao i only use pentax film and digital. only one dial though
>>
>>2937088
Why not aperture for panoramas and time bulb for lighting bolts?
>>
I usually shoot full manual just because I often forget I have auto controls. kek
>>
I used to when I used a DSLR. Now on my mirrorless I keep the histogram up in manual mode and spin my shutter speed dial to place it wherever I want. Automatic exposure is good, but histogram exposure is perfect every time. It reminds me of the experience of using a manual film camera. If your exposure is bad, you fucked up, not the camera.
>>
Manual, I have double dials but I'm not very good so I want to keep practicing with adjusting shit to make my images better.
>>
Manuel is shit
>>
>>2937011
All the time.
>>
>>2937109
Stitching
>>
>>2937109
With panoramas, you'll mostly always want all your frames to have the same settings so they stitch seamlessly. If you need more dynamic range you just bracket your panoramas and blend everything together after stitching.
>>
been shooting manual which keeps me focused on good lighting
>>
Aperture priority about 80% of the time. ISO at auto limited to 6400, lowest shutter 1/60.
>>
>>2937011
Yes. Only absolute idiots use manual any time except when they have infinite time for adjustments. (Like some macro shot of a fruit basket)

It is physically impossible for a manualfag human being to decide what settings to use, move one dial a few times, move another dial (or menu) a few times anywhere near as quick as the chip can pull off the same task.

And if the manualretard needs to change aperture, shutter AND then set iso manually, that'll take at minimum 10x longer, if not 50x.

And god forbid the hipster retard has a manual focus lens that adds yet another physical task and wait time to each shot after all the other steps.

In the time it takes to decide the settings for one manual shot, someone not stupid can decide which of the exposure triangle to leave as variables and which to fix.
That same quick decision then can result in dozens of good shots without changing settings, unlike manual where every exposure change halts the process, just turning your body towards or away from light and now you missed the precious moment or captured it out of focus because you had too many steps to nail what really mattered in time.
>>
>>2937263
>i cant guess lighting or know what these numbers mean for photos and anyone who even attempts to fool me into thinking someone can have a grasp over what three simple values have on exposure is a hipster and a liar.

get a fucking life you cuck.

for the hundred or so years people have been using cameras in the mainstream only for the last 20ish has there been auto or even semi auto cameras.

manual is fine and dandy and personally i like having control over what im getting, also you feel more involved in the shooting process. you have to know how the camera works. you have to know what your doing to get a good shot.

125 shitter speed, iso 100/200 and adjust the aperture for whatever the light is doing works 9/10 and if it don't you just look at the photo and adjust whatever needs adjusting.

literally just as fast as auto mode. and max 1 sec more if you need to adjust something. and if you need to take fast photos you can always use av.

you fucking idiot.
>>
>>2937263
>physical task

i bet you call sex a physical task.

are you really this unpassionate and anti fun about the subject your shitposting about on this niche webo forum ?

if this is a jimme rustle 3/10 by the way.
>>
Nah, I'm not a super pleb.

I don't need a computer to help me take my snapshits.
>>
yes. You don't need to be worried about your shutter speed the whole time. Just learn how to stand still
>>
I shot in aperture priority most of the time. Unless I'm doing astrophotography or sports.
>>
>>2937263
It's faster for me to set a shutter speed for each photo than adjust EV comp for each photo, because I can set the shutter speed before the moment happens, and many shots in the same light won't require me to touch a thing. Where auto exposure will drift around annoyingly
>>
Aperture Mode + Auto ISO = perfect shot
>>
aperture for urban
manual for landscape
>>
manual everything cause RB67pleb
>>
Always manual. Last time I touched my camera's mode dial was four years ago.
>>
Aperture mostly, manual/bulb for astro and long exposures for 30s or more.

Don't think i've ever used shutter priority.
>>
>>2937313
I wish mine could be set to auto iso.
>>
>>2937334
Not at all anon
>>
>>2937011
Ap for dslr, full manual on mirrorless.
Zero point in dialling in a manual exposure on a dslr, you're gonna chimp for exposure anyways, shoot, chimp, adjust exp comp.

Whereas mirrorless have a wysiwyg display so you can skip the guesswork and chimping.
>>
>>2937313
>>2937390
Min. Shutter Speed is a nice feature as well, it's a good way to make sure your camera doesn't fuck up and randomly jump up to 2 seconds shutter.
>>
>>2937399
>moment is unrepeatable
>I'll just chimp and try and get it again even though the moment has passed because I'm too stupid to determine my own exposure
You may as well just not take a picture. Your DSLR has a spot meter and it has an EV bar in the OVF. Unless you are severely disabled there is no reason to shoot in aperture priority and chimp.
Digital photography has made people lazy and people who started with digital are just being fed bad habits when they begin.

>>2937334
Don't worry anon, you're far from being a pleb
>>
>>2937431
>real photographers don't check exposure.

Yeah i can spot meter, take an average, etc. What i won't know until I've chimped on a dslr is if anythings blown/crushed, is the focus spot on, did my model blink, is my flash doing what i wanted.

I can do this all on mirrorless without moving my eye from the viewfinder. And i don't need to look at spot meters or ev readings.

I started on film and would chimp on Polaroid backs before digital was a thing, i found those photographers that would "wing it" came back with poor results.

There's nothing "lazy" about checking exposure by chimping, nor is it a bad habit. It's a great habit to make sure you get the exposure you want and that there's no other issues with your image.
>>
>>2937438
PPPPPPP desu
Doesn't apply to everyone. Most of what I could say are covered by the P's above. You may also want to try taking more than one shot though. Using strobes and speedlites, sure. I get that.
>I don't need to loot at spot meters or EV readings
Dang, you're right. Use a bit of common sense and by not being blind you can use the spot meter to mostly pre-determine the result (once more, because you decided to bring up flash).
Papa Ansel said it so it must be true.
Either way, I'm still gonna call you a lazy old bastard. Let the little computer do all the work for you and ramp up that EV dial.

Most interesting here is that despite the fact you were capable of holding the shift key at the start of a sentence you couldn't follow through later on when using "I".

All that has nothing to do with the fact that chimping is a notoriously bad habit that is to use a more appropriate word this time around, misused.
>>
>>2937443
>photographer from film only era gives advice
>people still follow it despite the technology having moved on

I also used to work as an assistant for an expensive wedding tog, i would have to sprint from the church to the lab with 30 rolls in my pockets that had to be developed straight away and all the formal shots checked to see if anything needed reshooting. In other words, if you were good enough, you still chimped either by polaroid or by lackey in the film era.
>>
>>2937457
>photographer from film only era gives advice about light
>people still follow it despite light, aperture and time all performing in exactly the same way as they have previously
>>
>>2937431
>moment is unrepeatable

Reminder that you will never witness anything unique or interesting in your lifetime.

You will never make an interesting picture from pressing the shutter at some incredibly interesting and unique moment in time.

The guy coming in 10 minutes later with a more expensive camera will take a better picture than you just did.
>>
>>2937462
Processing doesn't perform the same way.

You cannot recover completely blown highlights on digital.
ETTR is a thing now.
>>
>>2937427
I wish my camera had this feature
>>
>>2937463
I was believing you until I read the last paragraph
>>
>>2937465
>2016
>not being able to think for yourself and lacking the free will to have any creative control over your own images
>>2937463
friendly reminder that the only way to solve this is by locking yourself away in complete isolation so that you can shitpost on taiwanese tricycle imageboards about cameras or by ending your life.
>>
>>2937468
lol so mad
>>
>>2937462
>implying advice given from someone that had a handful of exposures he could take every day, and no way to process and view them on site is applicable to modern photography
>>
>>2937011
Mostly aperture priority unless the situation doesn't rely on timing where I sometimes switch to manual as well as in the case where I need to take multiple shots with the exact same settings(although AE lock helps with that, too). I usually shoot with aperture priority and manual ISO but switch to auto ISO with a range limit for easier shooting in more time constrained situations. Rarely shutter speed priority and even more rare the P mode. The rest of the modes I never touch.

Aperture priority with whole scene metering and exposure compensation is fast and takes care of most situations. I shoot mirrorless and usually have histogram visible in the EVF which aids a little.
>>
N
>>
>>2937547
What's that? A Nigger mode? Or Nikon mode? Oh well, I guess they're the same
>>
>>2937040
>sport event

muh 70-200L for sports. no need for M there
>>
>>2937011
Yes during daylight pictures, manual for nighttime pictures
>>
>>2937575
What would a nigger mode consist of?
>>
I shoot full manual 24/7
>>
>>2937278
I like you, I like what I'm reading.
>>
Manual is more fun but for real life purposes I always use aperture mode.
>>
>>2937476
>He thinks Ansel lived in a world where instant photography was not a thing
>He thinks advice given by someone who honed his craft is useless
>muh digital advancements
>muh shitty digital highlights
It even went over your head that Ansel was brought up jokingly. Chow down on the Autism pills buddy.
Light, time, space and physics all perform the same as they did in the 1900's and even the medieval ages. Metering using the zone system works because it is an objective measurement that allows the user to have control over their end result, even with digital.
>>2937470
This is shitposting at it's finest.
Literally: JE NES COMPRENDS PAS m80. Learn to take a bit of humour, I know it can be hard for some of the older non-anime fan, normie 'togs to take sometimes but look at where you are.
>>
I shoot 90% Program auto. There's literally no reason not to.
>>
>>2937109
These two answered the question as far as panos are concerned

>>2937210
>>2937208

As for lightning, the bulb setting is just a setting for shutter speed. In fact it's only available on manual mode - the two are not exclusive of each other.
>>
>>2937011

Yes, mainly because I'm too incompetent to capably use manual mode for shutter speed.
>>
>>2937900
Cute
>>
>>2937700
i like to have a good amount of iso/aperture control so A for me
>>
A with manual ISO on my Fuji, only use the shutter speed dial if I use flash.

P on the GR, just program shift if I want a bigger/smaller aperture for a shot.

For film I use manual because it's all I have on most cameras.
>>
>>2937700
The reasoning for A is that aperture always changes how the picture looks (via DoF), while shutter speed only matters when it drops below a certain threshold and causes blur.
>>
>>2937033
I went M yesterday because my DSLR went batshit crazy and couldn't expose properly, but otherwise, I use A.
>>
>>2937011
Yes.

Iam using a Fuji Xpro2 and iam usually setting my apeture on the lens, also the iso is set manually and i correct the shutter speed with the exp. comp. dial... thats what works best for me.

The only occasion when i go fully manual is when i do cont. shooting and the meter might change something between shots. then i spot meter for my subject and set it manually, so the background cannot change the exp. between shots.
>>
>>2938034

I get that. I shot in aperture priority for like ten years.

Then I tried program mode, found out that it usually picks the same aperture I would have (and if it doesn't, program shift is just a wheel scroll away), and generally saves me a fuckton of time.
>>
Shit
>>
I use Av like 95% of the time, its just the most useful mode.
>>
I use both aperture priority and manual equally.

I almost always ETTR, so either I do Av with exposure locking, or M by adjusting aperture, then 1/focal length shutter speed and bump up ISO just before highlights start clipping.

That said, I use M mode when I'm at an environment where light is very controlled and/or I have access to a light meter, like a studio or a concert stage.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.