[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pentax K1, or other recommendations?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (298KB, 3610x2026px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
298KB, 3610x2026px
Hello /p/. I am looking into purchasing my first DSLR. I've only ever shot film in the past, or cheap Canon Rebel digitals. I'm really wanting to invest in a good, accessible FF system which can replace my old equipment.

I am seriously considering the Pentax K1, based on the design, IQ, features, but primarily it's price-point as compared to Canon, Nikon, and Sony.

I am wondering your thoughts and suggestions on both the camera, Pentax K-Mount system, and also what reasons there might be to wait and invest into a Nikon/Canon/Sony system, and why, etc.
>>
>>2935140
if you're buying used canikon, pentax K-1 might end up not being that much of a good deal, but you are buying into unique pentax stuff such as godlike ergonomics, legit weather sealing and built like a tank, pixel shift (if you're doing still stuff like landscape or taking hi-res of paintings/architecture/food/misc macro), and being the only hipster within a 100-mile radius that actually owns a digital pentacks camera

it's hard to give you an actual recommendation without knowing what the fuck you need/want from a full frame dslr
>>
I do a lot of travel photography, but also tend to take lots of architectural photography, like pic related.
>>
>>2935176
also people
>>
>>2935140

I own a Pentax K5ii (cropped sensor) and I couldn't be happier, looking to upgrade to the K1 as quickly as possible. Great in low light even with ISO jacked up and with the K1 having astrotracer I'm totally sold as I mainly do nightscape photography. Weather sealing is unreal especially with a DA WR lens.

Downside to Pentax DSLR is there aren't many lenses (compared to canon or nikon) and if you want a decent one they are very expensive.

K-Mount is great for using old Pentax SLR lenses though if you're into that.

Nothing hipster or shameful about buying a Pentax.
>>
>>2935140
All the good features of the K-1 coupled with some godlike FA primes like the 31mm Limited or the 43mm Limited are the actual selling points.
Pentax K-mount is designed over the years to adapt the older lenses without any hassle or adapters, be it screwdrive AF or manual focus. You put on a manual aperture lens and it automatically switches into Av mode and meters without any interaction.
Meanwhile the modern AF lens directory is getting expanded with many great third party lenses coming or available already.
What the K-1 is not good for is professional sports photography but some users reported decent tracking performance on some tele lenses. Still tracking is behind the competitions standards.

If you don't really need FF then getting a K-3II is also a good option, even better lens directory with the full DA crop lens line.
Same toughness and sealing as the K-1 but smaller and lighter. My K-3 is performing superbly and I've been shooting it in thick rain with the sealed kit lens. Also for the price of a good pro canikony lens you can by a trio of superb DA Limited pancakes.

GODDAMN GOOK MOOT FIX THE SERVER ISSUES ALREADY!
>>
>>2935177
What you do is called tourists pictures. Just because there are buildings and humans in it doesn't mean you are doing architectural and people work.
>>
>>2935336
it is what 99.999% of Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji etc... owners do. Also with FF where the brand offers.
Cameras are not exclusively for professional photographers. If anon thinks he needs a new camera he will go out and buy one, no matter what you think about it. Because what you think is insignificant.
>>
I agree with the anon above. The Pentax limited primes are why you want to buy the K1. Besides, the K1 is really well priced compared with canikon FF pro bodies. I have no regrets switching from Nikon to Pentax.
>>
>>2935336
sounds like you're jelly m8
>>
>>2935140
>>2935176
>>2935177
By all means the K-1 is an amazing camera, but if you are traveling you might want to think about one of the crop sensors for weight/size reasons. Pentax K-1 with the 24-70 fast zoom weighs 4 pounds (1.8kg) and is pretty hefty, whereas the K-70 with the 16-85 zoom (which is one of the best crop sensor lenses they offer) is going to be physically smaller, less conspicuous, and weigh only ~2.5lb (1.2kg). But if you want small and inconspicuous you might as well just buy a mirrorless.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.