[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Choosing telescope

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: images (1).jpg (9KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9KB, 210x240px
Ok. Here is the story. I have budget of about 200£. Thinking of buying starter telescope for photography.

Is any of telescopes below worth considering. Or would you recommend different one and why.
Once again keep it below 200£

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ3

Skywatcher Explorer 130M (EQ2)

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive

Also would motor drive help or cause problems with photography (added vibrations for example)

Thanks

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationUnknown
Metering ModeUnknown
>>
Deep sky or planetary?

Motor drive is virtually essential.
>>
>>2932330
Deep sky if possible with any but novice to a strong photography so gathering info before I buy anything.
>>
"astro photography" not "strong..." Stupid phone.
>>
>>2932336

Light gathering ability will be your #1 priority for deep sky, so generally speaking, bigger is better. You'll also want a good motorized mount though, so be sure it's decent build quality. A shitty mount will ruin your night.

For your budget, you seem to be on the right track, although you could probably find something much better in the used market. If I had to choose between these 3, I'd go for the Skywatcher. Celestron makes some excellent scopes (I have 3 Celestrons) but in this lineup, the Skywatcher seems to be a bit better quality, and doesn't have a fixed finder which is nice.
>>
File: IMG_20160901_2159244.jpg (711KB, 1200x1617px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160901_2159244.jpg
711KB, 1200x1617px
>>2932329
One thing I learned from people on astronomyforums.net about doing astrophotography is your gonna need a good tracking telescope honestly I dunno if you can find a telescope that will work for that under $1,000 USD I mount the main two parts is a good tracking mount other wise your limited to short exposures and by short i'm talking less then maybe 5secs to like 1/5sec I also heard your gonna need a telescope that is like a ED optics I believe and even that OTA will run you like $400 just for the tube you could check out some used stuff maybe on a site like astromart but honestly if your new to telescopes look for an astronomy club near you and talk to them someone clubs will allow you to even loan their telescopes at least the local astronomy club down here where I am has that kinda program. the other thing is your possibly gonna want a refactor telescope the reflectors are hard as fuck to get focus on I mean it's possible but then your limited to just planets I mean shit even then your better off buying like a telescope then another $120+ on a CCD or astro camera because to be honest I think your better off using a camera like the NexImage 5 you connect into your telescope I have a website called juststargazing.com for all my astronomy stuff.
I got this goto mount from my local astronomy club the day I joined the president of the club got from from a donation and gave it away on September 1 2016 club meeting I got and it's the best thing I got for astronomy.
>>
>>2932329
>Once again keep it below 200£
I really wouldn't recomend any of those 'scopes. The main problem is the mounts, they're really flimsy, will only accept very basic single axis drives and have no polar alignment. Can't you wait a bit and save a some more money? In the long term you will really regret buying any of them.

You see some real bargains on Gumtree and places like that sometimes, "used once, astro is hard", or check out:
http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

If you can find an extra few quid or wait a while this is a good 'scope for astrophotography. With dual axis drives it's above your budget (£360) but is miles better:
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/enhanced-dual-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq3-2.html
>>
>>2932385
>>2932550
>>2932591

Thanks for all your comments.

Unfortunately due to location (north of Scotland - north from Inverness ) there is no second hand offers and most online seller want stupid money because "Highlands are not UK mainland"

Will look into any local astronomy clubs.
> keep it below 200

I want to check is it something for me + added issue of Scottish weather. It is raining. Is there a point investigating more if main issue would be weather.

I do know that price = quality but investing 1000+ just to try it is it something for me is not an option. Would invest that money in better lenses for my camera.

>>2932591

Will definitely look in to this one. 200£ is a guide and I can wait.
>>
>>2932600
>Highlands
>Scottish weather
Do you have dark skies? I've just about given up on deep sky because of light pollution. I'd rather have 13 days of rain and one clear dark night.
>>
>>2932621
I do. Light pollution would be last of my worries
>>
File: DSC_0154-1.jpg (2MB, 4608x3072px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0154-1.jpg
2MB, 4608x3072px
>>2932329
These are my babies. The black one I've had better luck taking pictures with but honestly I heard you need a good mount and tracking to be able to get long exposure I did pictures on my juststargazing.com most of my pictures were taken with my 80eq or my Nikon D 3100

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern828
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:09:22 21:06:36
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Auto, Return Detected
Focal Length19.00 mm
CommentJustStargazing.com
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width4608
Image Height3072
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypePortrait
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2932600
>I do know that price = quality but investing 1000+ just to try it is it something for me is not an option. Would invest that money in better lenses for my camera.
While I agree with your prudence, this is a case where cheaper stuff might break you from something you'd otherwise enjoy. Cheaper stuff is far, far more difficult to get setup, aligned, and actually find objects with. I don't think that it's necessarily a good idea to jump in at the higher investment levels, but do know that there's a massive drop-off in the difficulty the higher you go (it never really gets easy, but it gets far easier).
>>
>>2934732

You huggable motherfucker, you.
>>
>>2934741
Friend, you've been in the woods a bit too long.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.