[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lens care

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (122KB, 842x394px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 842x394px
Is there any way for me to coat my own lenses? Say if I were cleaning vintage lenses and wanted to coat the elements to eliminate ghosting
Is it possible?
Is camera lens coating any different from RX lens coating?
Could I just buy this stuff online and apply it myself?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width842
Image Height394
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2931704
Commercial coating applications are quite complex and are performed using specialized machinery.

If a low cost, low quality coating exists, it would be in dunk or spray form. You'd have issues with getting an even coating.
>>
>>2931704
Even if you found the equipment and chemicals to do it, you can't just coat the front and rear elements. It's like how manufacturers implement low dispersion lens elements only at certain areas to optimize cost to performance ratios.
>>
>>2931704

WARNING: Do not try this at home.
>>
>>2931704
I've wondered about this in the past so I've finally got round to doing a bit of research (for you).

I've just deleted what was turning into a tl;dr essay on the subject. Let's just say no and getting a firm to do it will cost a fortune.
>>
>>2932172
Can I pay you to follow through with that tl;dr essay? Curious how you'd convey the notion of precisely 1/2 wavelength nanometer-thick coatings in layman terms.
>>
>>2932296
You need a vacuum and shit.
>>
>>2932296
Here's a video instead. Skip to 2:50.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X6tNJpJY_A

They are applying aluminium here but will use the same or similiar machine the coat the corrector plates for their maksutov range with an AR coating.
>>
...French onion dip will coat nicely... ...or, Fruity Pebbles...
>>
>>2932653

>the carbon meme

I used to work with the stuff, in QC. Let me tell you: Unless it's something you have to carry, and weight is the #1 issue, get alu.
>>
>>2932663
...what
>>
>>2932729

The OTA in that video is naked carbon fiber, because CF is a fashion statement nowadays, instead of being functional. It is used in all sorts of applications that don't make sense.

Most if it is Chinese, and shit quality. Shit weave, shit resin. But that's because people want it, and without the additional expense... expenses that usually go toward better material, craftsmanship, and quality control.

Just saying. I remember when CF was an ugly necessity, and it was gel coated to hide it. Now it's a fashion meme to the point that people want it bare, and even put fake CF decals on things.
>>
>>2931704
>cleaning vintage lenses

Simply don't.

Coating was invented when they discovered old lenses performed better than clean new ones.
ie: lenses get coated over time just from being exposed to the air.
>>
>>2931723
You're full of shit.

All lens surfaces get coatings, even when it has hardly any effect.
It's a better safe than sorry kind of thing.
The only choice is between cheap and more expensive coatings, but even the cheapest coatings are way better than using naked glass.
>>
>>2932764
wut?
>>2932773
Depends a lot on the process and the coating in question.
>>
>>2932809
>wut?

What is there not to understand?

Uncoated lenses perform better when they get older because a thin film naturally forms onto them.
Cleaning old lenses removed this natural coating.
>>
>>2932838
You're a Retard.

>capital R intended
>>
>>2932839
>I don't know the history of lens coatings.
>therefore you must be retarded.
>>
>>2932663
>get alu
I did, but they didn't do CF tubes at the time.

>>2932734
>CF is a fashion statement nowadays
Dall Kirkham type telescopes and fast astrographs need perfect collamation. It's a problem with them and if CF helps then so be it.

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/ODK/odkoptimiseddall.html
>The tube is constructed from Carbon Fibre sandwich design. Very, very strong to avoid flexing and zero expansion to ensure the focal plane does not change over long photographic exposures.

As for weight, it's a big issue. Tell me you wouldn't want to shave a few pounds off your C14 here and there.
>>
>>2932854
https://mhcocm.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/a-brief-history-of-optical-coatings/

You sure know your history well...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.