[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Studio Setup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hi /p/

I work at a design agency and we want to start and do some photography in house. At the moment we're just using my 2xYungnou flashes and a couple of cheap softboxes, which give decent enough results for small jobs.

My boss has given me a budget of £1,000 to get a decent rig but I don't have the first clue about proper studio lighting. What should I invest in?

Pic related is what we currently use for small jobs/headshots/portfolio work. We still hire professional photographers for big jobs but we want to start doing stuff inhouse for clients with little budget.

Cheers.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 970x573px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 970x573px
>>2927183
Also forgot to say we need a decent tripod head which can shoot downwards which needs to be factored into that budget.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width970
Image Height573
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2927183
What you need is strobes rather than speed lights. You can plug them into the mains and they sync/recycle a lot faster than a standard flash.

Depending on what you want softboxes are probably more versatile than umbrellas.

https://www.pixelz.com/blog/lighting-equipment-101/
>>
>>2927185
forget that

you will not find tripod heads that can act as a video head + head that will allow you shoot down. The cheapest ones are up the $700 price tag
>>
>>2927183
You can make a home setup for 400 pounds (only in Stands, paper/background) Then you will have to spend (if you are poor and go cheap) 400€ x 3 in 3 Alienbees which you will have to fly to the US just to buy since they dont ship to the UK and you will want to avoid taxes by bringing them with you in the plane in order to have a decent studio at home.
If not your only option is buying shitty brands out of Amazon, like a real poor amateur person. Even if thats the thruth, you dont want to show your inner you to the upcoming models or clients that may see your setup. If you have a macbook pro or an iPhone, you should get anyways a set of B1s and thats it, stop acting inmature. I masturbated today two times already.
>>
Alien bees or something similar.
>>
>>2927757
>>2927838
Anything that isn't an Alienbee?
>>
>>2927183
Get a big 110cm reflector from ebay. They are like 20 bucks or so and you can use it a whole bunch of different ways.
If you buy a reflector holding arm to the top of the light stand, then you can adjust the angle. Pretty decent shit.
>>
>>2927881
Elinchrom offers good quality for reasonable price. Other than that there is a sea of no brands or lesser brands, but buying that stuff is a gamble not worthing the money saved.
If you got by with speedlights you might consider the new RX One: 100ws is not much for strobes but is still 3 to 4 times a speedlite. 2 light kits are about €550.
For the tripod I'd say Manfrotto, good quality but not stupidly overpriced. They are pretty rugged so you can buy used confidently if you find some deal.

>>
>>2927987
>3 to 4 times
my bad it's 2 times. 3-4 times is a 250ws unit.
>>
File: metz-bl900-10.jpg (82KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
metz-bl900-10.jpg
82KB, 800x533px
>>2927881
>>2927987
if you find elinchrom expensive you could consider Metz mecastudio line, that is the cheapest thing I found with a well known brand stamped on it.
>>
>>2928003
Buy Alienbees better than a Metz bl900 who nobody uses and cares about

All pros use B1's, there must be a reason. You will never become a pro photographer without using B1s sadly. Its just a must, like owning an iPhone or showering or not looking obese.
>>
>>2927987
How much cost the Elinchrom and can you buy a cover/external case kit to make it look like prophotos? Im gonna work with people who will judge me on set because of the setup, and they only know prophoto as a brand thanks
>>
>>2927185
you will not find any tripod / head / option to move the camera like that on a tripod for less than 300€ if you are lucky. Since you are in the UK and will get taxed in the ass if ordering in the US which is not an option, you are forced to pay at least 300€ if you want to order today online such an item to be delivered to your door. Sadly there is no cheap option or Aliexpress possibility to obtain a tripod + setup to hold a camera like that. 300€ only the accessory to allow such movement, then add 400 more for a cheap Manfrotto as they already recommended you. But anything bellow 800€ for a Manfrotto is like buying one of those iPhones that are coloured and made out of plastic. It screams you are cheap, a wannabee, "a half made man". So buy a good tripod as you would buy a good car.
Forget about lights with only 1000€, thats what 1 good light would cost you, and you will need 3, because a 2 light setup is, once again, a wannabe, half made men thing. Like for Christmas eve serving only frozen pizza for dinner for the whole family. It's food yes and perhaps delicious, but it's cheap, not in price, but in attitude, to eat that for Christmas. Instead eat the typical festive food that your mum made. Understand? Same thing. It's your equipment, what you are going to serve in the table, serve it right.
>>
>>2928007
>All pros use B1's, there must be a reason

Yeah, it's because Profoto spends a fuckton of money to sponsor "firstname lastname photography" photographers so that they will in turn go and shill profoto double time on social media to all the other aspiring wannabes.
>>
Truth is. It doesn't really what lights you use as long as they give you the power/features you need.

Light is light. You get 'special expensive' light. If it's 250w it's 250w.
>>
>>2927753
>>2928040

$700? 800€? Oh wow.

>>2927185

Look, you have office space so you don't need a portable solution like a tripod with a boom arm, particularly not at those prices. Go down to your local hardware store and buy some 1/2" conduit piping. You'll need three 5 foot lengths, four 1 foot lengths, two 90 degree elbows, two T-joints, two U bolts, an L-bracket from the bracing section, a 1/4"-20 thumb screw about 1/2 long and a rubber washer-.

Connect the three 5 foot lengths and elbow joints to form a large "C". Attach the T-joints to each side but rotate it so the side joins are perpendicular. Attach the 1 foot pipes to the T-joints then stand it up. It should look and work like a short clothes rack.

To attach your camera to the rack you will need to drill attachment holes to the L-bracket for the U-bolts then on the other wing drill a hole for the 1/4" camera mounting screw. Attach the L-bracket to the rack, put the screw through the hole and put the rubber washer on the other side. Instead of T-joints you could attach the rig to long dollies with wheels instead and wheel the rig around. I estimate the rig would cost you no more than $100 and should be doable in an hour or two by anyone who is even slightly handy with basic tools.
>>
>>2928369

Another alternative that is a little less stable is a counterweighted microphone stand with a boom arm and a 5/8"-27 female to 1/4"-20 male adapter so you can attach a camera to the boom arm. On Amazon I'm seeing one with wheels for about $180 and another $6 for the adapter.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 640x758px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 640x758px
>>2928369
>>2928372
You can just get a Manfrotto one for £80. Not sure why people are quoting $700.

CommentScreenshot
Image Width640
Image Height758
>>
>>2928007
Alienbees are not avaible in Europe you dumb ass.
Plus the construction quality is abysmal.
Elinchrom is pretty well established among pro photographers in the continent, they don't make the fanciest stuff around but their products are solid and very well made.

Equipment MakePhase One
Camera ModelP40+
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image Width5428
Image Height7245
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:03:17 12:28:04
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceOther
Focal Length80.00 mm
Image Width2500
Image Height2500
>>
>>2928653
ate there cheaper options ? like Chinese brands for such a thing? does it go ti thw tripod head or do you know of a head compatible with such thing?
>>
>>2928739
what would be Elichromes Alienbees/B1s be? thanks
>>
>>2929050
It replaces the tripod head on the tripod.
>>
>>2929050
I've already got a decent Manfrotto tripod so this would just replace the head.
>>
How about something like this? Can always buy a third strobe later on.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-elinchrom-d-lite-rx-4-4-softbox-to-go-set/p1593856
>>
>>2928046
>firstname
Charles
>lastname
Lewis
Prime example of shilling/whoring for brands
>>
Alienmemes are mediocre at best. All the real pros use Elinchrom.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.