[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help buying a camera

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (339KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
339KB, 1280x1920px
Hey, so I'm trying to pick up photography as a hobby (never owned a good camera before, only ever used my phone) but I'm not sure what I should get. I just bought a Canon Powershot SX410 IS for 200$, and it would have been great, but I've found that you can't manually adjust the shutter speed- something I need to do for action shots.
I want to mainly do photos of wildlife and landscape, so I need to be able to zoom fair distances, and take fast-shutter photos (which needs to be manually adjustable). I'm currently looking at another Powershot or maybe a Nikon Coolpix
My budget is about $200, any suggestions? (Pic related, I'd like to be able to get photos close to, if not exactly that)

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera Softwarehttp://wallup.net
Photographerhttp://wallup.net
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1280
Image Height1920
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 4,21,16-Rocky_Mountain_Fire_2016.jpg (225KB, 1000x555px) Image search: [Google]
4,21,16-Rocky_Mountain_Fire_2016.jpg
225KB, 1000x555px
>>2926826
its just a little above your price range but the d3300 from nikon is freaking amazing for the price. the body alone is maybe $220? but its a normal DX frame camera. if you buy the kit for $400 you get 2 lenses that are pretty fantastic to start out with. Ultralight, perfect for hikes, stunning quality for what it is.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016-09-16T22:51:30+20:00
Image Width1000
Image Height555
>>
>>2926845
I really can't go over 200. My original price range was 150-170 and so I'm pushing it as it stands,
>>
>>2926879
coolpix p530s are around that price.
>>
>>2926826

For $200 your only good bet is to cruise your local Craigslist page and maybe eBay for a month or so. Google the cameras you see in your price range and assuming everything looks legit buy something you get a good deal on.

Honestly though, $200 is not going to get you anything better than a phone except in a few small instances that probably don't apply. Save up 3-400 and you will be in a better place, otherwise you aren't getting anything better than a phone.
>>
File: 17151023887_24d19473ec_b.jpg (147KB, 572x800px) Image search: [Google]
17151023887_24d19473ec_b.jpg
147KB, 572x800px
Canon Powershot S series or G series would do you well. The latest models are out of your price range but go back a few models and you should be able to find used ones easily within your budget. Full manual controls and at least with the S series, you can change the settings around so it basically acts like a dslr (ring around the lens can be used for focus, or aperture, etc). Low light and high iso performance will be pretty mediocre but I think either option would suit you well.

Pic related: Canon Powershot S90
>>
File: 17356560942_9989a5f624_b.jpg (207KB, 686x800px) Image search: [Google]
17356560942_9989a5f624_b.jpg
207KB, 686x800px
One more S90 shot. I usually had the camera set up for the ring around the lens to be aperture and the dial on the back of the body to be shutter speed. Worked really great for me as my only digital camera for about 5 years.
>>
I'm just going to tell you straight up, this is an expensive hobby. Cheap gear is low price for a reason--it has limitations. Limitations that you will run into quickly as you progress. Sometimes the best choice is to wait a bit until you have the funds to buy gear that better fits your needs. That is your case right now. Wildlife requires a pretty good zoom lens and the ability to control your shutter speed. Landscape requires you to have a sharp lens and complete control over your manual settings, often using a tripod for stability while you set longer exposure times with smaller apertures.

For what you want, you are talking about a dslr camera. Ideally you would want a Pentax K-50 or a Nikon D3300, but for your budget you might have to compromise and get a Pentax K30 or a D3200 to get it with the kit lens. The Pentaxes have slightly better value imo and have the k mount lens system (you can get a lot of pretty good quality vintage pentax lenses that are still compatible with their cameras today online for good prices) but it's probably up to what you can get. Start checking craigslist and ebay. You'll be able to grow better into an SLR. I did some of quick searching for you to show you some options I might recommend (although at this point you are almost better off buying a new K-50 or D3300 kit for $400, at least your savings here you can put towards other equipment like lenses or a tripod).

K-30 body - $230 + 18-55 zoom lens $80 (both these are weather sealed, which might be an advantage for being outdoors)
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/328867-sale-pentax-k30-sale.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Pentax-DA-L-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-AL-WR-weather-resistant-/262627435723?hash=item3d25d0a4cb:g:C6QAAOSw-kdX1y2N

or a D3200 for $295
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D3200-Body-DX-VR-18-55-Lens-Low-Actuations-3910-Perfect-Extras-/381775822253?hash=item58e39cbdad:g:sAsAAOSw9IpXyOfI

sorry for not answering your original budget of $200
>>
>>2926951
OP, I hope you have read this advice. It's super helpful, as photography really is an expensive as fuck hobby. What has been said here is worth reading. Start with baby steps.
>>
yh>>2926951
this is good advice...but not everyone wants a dslr and photography surely doesnt HAVE to be expensive if you dont want it to be.

OP already stated the powershot they bought would have been pefect if it only had manual controls. i agree with >>2926915
Look into both of these Canon series. If you want a small camera with a fixed lens dont listen to these gearfags suggesting you MUST get a dslr. they are probably the same people that mock people using dslrs for snapshits.

>hurrdurr the only camera option if youre remotely interested in photography is a dslr
>hurrdurr fags using dslrs for snapshitsh
>>
>>2926826
Im also starting, i got a bridge camera, samsung wb1100f. Is not a dslr but it has some zoom, also while im learning on composition, lights, an the view of the camera, is good for learning, well ar least for me and its arround 180 bucks
>>
I'm assuming you're an amerifag, if so I suggest getting this:

>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D-D3100-14-2-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-TWO-LENSES-/122137335282?hash=item1c6ff3d5f2:g:ThQAAOSwZVlXsG89

The body is the older model but still a great camera for a beginner, and you're getting two lenses.

Stay the fuck away from bridge cameras
>>
>>2926881
That seems to be my best option at the moment.
>>2926897
>>2926951
I appreciate the advice and I understand what you mean, but I don't want to dive head first into photography because it's not something that I'm absolutely enamored with, and I don't want to spend $500+ on something I'll only use once a month.
>>2926915
Looks like a viable option, but I personally want a larger camera body (I have fairly large hands) and something that "feels" more like a photographer's camera and not a thick credit card.
>>2926981
I'll keep my eye on this one and do a little more research on it. Thanks.
>>2926986
If I can find this on a non-auction I'll definitely reconsider.

Thanks /p/ for your help so far
>>
Like >>2926974 pointed out, the PowerShot I have would work fine for what I want to do, as I've already tested it, it just doesn't allow me to manually adjust shutter speed for shots of quick moving objects (like my dogs).
If I could get the same camera with adjustable shutter speed I'd be fine.
>>
>>2926951
How would a Canon G5X shoot photo's with the information you just explained?
>>
>>2926826
I got a Sony A3000 for £100 with bag, lens extra battery and SD card.
EVF isn't the best but hey you have full control and some nice features. Interchangeable lenses with the ability to use cannon or Sony lenses from the past 30 years etc.
One good thing about the EVF is you get to see how all the settings effect the image.
>>
>>2927128
>I don't want to dive head first into photography
Ok, cool. The reason I gave you the advice is that you didn't specify your level of interest. I'm pretty passionate about landscape photography--naturally you're going to get a response like that. Maybe go with the suggestions of other anons, then.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.