[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Carrying Your DSLR With You

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_1504 resize.jpg (804KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1504 resize.jpg
804KB, 1080x720px
Guys - Got a discussion...
As has been said "the best camera is the one you have with you" -

Does anyone carry their DSLR with them at all times/damn near always? If so, what do you carry? Special lenses/batteries? What kind of case do you keep it in, if any?

Been thinking more and more about getting the pancake 24mm for my T6i and carrying it a lot more. Not that I'd never use my other lenses but I find myself in many photo ops I wish I could grab. And before you say anything phone camera is not an option really right now it's shitty as fuck.

Let me know what you all do.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS Rebel T6i
Lens Size18.00 - 55.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.0
Lens NameEF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:09:03 11:54:41
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1080
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed224
Color Matrix135
>>
I carry my 6D and Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC around most days. Then again, I do get paid to take photos, so like I have a choice otherwise.
>>
>>2926711
Yeah, I'm definitely under the hobby-tier photographer. I'm just trying to get a feel for it. I'll probably start doing it but I need to evaluate the bag I'm carrying. I'm not carrying a camera bag into work and I'm not carrying a DSLR in my shitty laptop bag that is barebones just enough to protect a company issued MS Surface.
>>
It's a constant debate for me, like I went on a short work trip to Charlotte, NC and decided I wouldn't have time to shoot and sure enough just around my hotel there were a few things I would have loved to shoot and my smartphone didn't have the ability to do it (timing a light rail train coming by, shutter lag on my Nexus 6 made it impossible) so I missed a bunch of cool shots.

Occasionally I'll be driving and see something cool and think "fuck I wish I had my camera" too - usually birds or something.

At the same time I generally don't just carry my camera around on my daily commute because I generally don't use it or just do snapshits without much thought. Sometimes on my drive home I'll see an interesting scene and think about it with different light, plan it, etc and come back. Especially for landscapes.
>>
>>2926718
>>2926791
Best way to about things like this is top plan ahead and see if it's really worth bringing a camera, especially a DSLR.

Especially when traveling, I plan ahead and see if I want to bring a 70-200mm f/2.8 or maybe I can just go about with a 35mm prime. etc.
>>
>>2926708
I always carry something with me.
Either polaroid, Om2n, k-3, olympus stylus 80. Depends on the day. Also bring a lomo diana f+ to work for dank mf snaps =^}
>>
>>2926791
I'm kind of in this boat. I'm like, "Oh yes I could potentially have some sort of photo op" but then it's also like "but I want to bring ALL of my camera stuff, and I really don't wanna damage my camera."

Which, I know, if you're afraid to put your camera out there somewhere to get your shot, you shouldn't be doing it but still I mean, it is a $700 piece of equipment.
>>
>>2926832
>I mean, it is a $700 piece of equipment.
With a jaw dropping depreciation rate that will be worth fuck all in 4 years time.
>>
>>2926708
hell no
way to heavy and conspicuous
im weak and care too much about the opion of others and id feel like a pretentious hipster

as a grill you can do it; as a guy only as a tourist

i carry a minox 35 or a t4 in a pocket, seldom carry a dslr or slr and whenever only with a pancake

whenever i want to use a tele it has to go into my rucksack until i reach my destination
>>
>>2926708
Mine (D810 with 24-70mm) is either on me or in my vehicle. More the former than later.

Life is too short to give a shit about what people think, and a shoulder strap makes carrying easy as fuck even for manlets.
>>
>>2926708
Nope, phone with a clip on lens or a dirt cheep camera that I don't mind getting stolen or broken.
>>
>>2926708
I don't take it on the daily commute because why would I?

But on holidays and trips I bring it nearly all the time.
Usually with just one lens.

I have a rather good strap, but I also throw it in my backpack.
No special padded cases because they are pointless.
>>
>>2926708
I don't carry my DSLR casually every day unless I already had it with me for a shoot. But I do carry my Fuji x10 with me everywhere. It doesn't really fit in my pocket so I have it on a small strap, but it's still small enough that people don't notice even when I go to take a shot.

Just find a small, quality camera that you can pocket or won't find annoying to carry around and soon enough you'll just be used to always having it without feeling weird.
>>
>>2926708
I always make it a principle to have a camera on me and ready to shoot at all times. Until I recently bought a Nikon F2 I've been using a DSLR as my EDC. I am trying to get something more compact like one of those Olympus point and shoot 35mm cameras. But as of now my EDC is my Nikon F2 with a Nippon Kogaku 50mm f/2. When i get my FM back it will probably become my EDC then.
>>
>>2927139
How do you like your x10? I've been looking at them for a while because they are so cheap. I really want an Olympus XA, but it might be nice to have a digital camera as an EDC instead.
>>
File: _DSF9079.jpg (578KB, 900x1200px)
_DSF9079.jpg
578KB, 900x1200px
>>2927150
I picked it up for that very reason, found it on ebay for super cheap. Now I love this little thing and I end up taking way more photos with it. It sounds like it has a smaller sensor, but the images come out great.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX10
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:09:17 09:57:24
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness7.0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length8.30 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2927153
Do you have any color photos you could share of it? Or just general work you have done with it.
>>
I carry my Konica IIIa everywhere. It's not exactly pocketable, so I carry it in a shoulder bag together with a wallet and assorted junk.
>>
>>2926862
Yes, sure, but my goal isn't to re-sell it, my goal is to get my money's worth out of it. I still paid that money and I want to get good use getting ///different/// photos, and generally, different or interesting photos don't come planned. There are two types of good photos, I guess I'm trying to say. The kind you plan and compose perfectly ahead of time, and the kind where you just have to capture the moment and that's what makes it interesting, because said moment is hard to plan for, but when it's there you have it and you know it. I know the latter sounds a bit like a soccer mom but it's true, sometimes you just need to have a good camera waiting to capture what happens.
>>
>>2927196
Same here, all my cameras are big 1kg+ ordeals, so I go around with a sizable messenger bag that I can lug all my stuff in, camera included. In retrospect I probably should've gotten a bigger one.
>>
Also then, if I'm not deciding to bring my DSLR everywhere (though I did just buy the 24mm pancake and I do like the compactness) - I have a Polaroid a310 I got from a thrift store a long time ago that I literally don't give two shits about. Would it be worth carrying around? It is awful compact but I'd probably be better with the (even as it is, half-functioning) camera on my HTC M8. Shitty camera when it is working properly, even worse when it isn't..The Polaroid is compact and already pre-beat up so I could give less than a shit about losing it. I'd be more upset about losing the eneloop aaa's I'd probably buy for it or the SD card than the actual camera.

What's a good compact digital I can spend fuck nothing on that's still good/has some settings on it? I like my DSLR for those reasons but I feel like I'd be giving a lot of that up with a compact or phone camera.
>>
>>2927827
Fuji has some pretty remarkable compacts for dirty cheap. x10, x20
>>
I carry my mju/gr1/t4 in my backpack with me daily and then maybe the F3 or the QL17 G-III when I want to shoot some portraits.

Thinking of getting a D600 or a Ricoh GR for that digital snapshitting with lower light as I am an ektarfag
>>
>>2926708
Not a DSLR, I carry a Canon G9X, almost all the time. It fits in my pants front right pocket and I can easily forget about it, yet it's with me whenever I might need.

It's not as good as a bigger camera can be, but it's still really good, and I can take it with my 10x more often than I would bother to otherwise because it's so small and light (~200 grams), and it beats a camera phone, mostly in low light situations.

Honestly I asked many people about it and I'm shocked at how many people told me that if they don't have their DSLR then their backup is their phone. You'd think more people would want an actual decent camera that shoots manual and RAW and with decent IS as backup.
>>
>>2927970
I never even thought to look at modern compacts as I always assumed that phones were "good enough" for a backup, especially if I ever got a new phone that had a properly working camera...But the raw thing is something I didn't even think about, I don't know why but I now assume every camera shoots raw period. That is quite a pretty little camera for a p&s.
>>
>>2927139
>>2927150
>>2927153

X20 owner here, I can vouch for it. I've gone on multiple vacations feeling totally comfortable leaving my D300 behind. Fantastic little cameras. It's just a damn shame Fuji killed it. The X30 was a definite step in the wrong direction, and the X70 is really only for fixie hipster streetshitters. I would pay a kingly ransom for a modernized X20, with the OVF innovations of the bigger siblings but keeping the metal build and compact body instead of that bloated chinky EVF-only X30 bullshit.
>>
>>2928084
to me the really important part is how manual it is, which is so important to make things come out right mostly in low light
>>
I carry my camera with me everywhere I go. Even on routine things. You never know when you're going to come across something interesting. Fuck what pedestrians think. You're never going to see these people ever again.
>>
>>2928361
how big/heavy is it and how do you carry it?

t. same with pocket camera
>>
>>2926711
There's always the choice to kill yourself, Ray Neal Caird.
>>
I have a D750 so no. If I'm going somewhere new then I will, but I'd say 90% of the times I leave the house I don't bring it. I have thought about getting something like a Ricoh GRII though.
>>
Yep. Carry it a good deal of the time and if not, it's usually not far away (in car, office etc).

Full kit contained in Lowepro bag. 6D, 17-40 f/4L, Samyang 14mm, 50mm f/1.8, NiSi 100mm filter kit, Sirui W2204 tripod, plus a whole bunch of other misc stuff like batteries, remote shutters, threaded round filters, etc etc.
>>
>>2928211
I'm thinking about ditching one of my DSLRs and getting an Olympus XA2 for my EDC when I shoot film and a X10/X20 for my digital carry. I just need something small. I also wanted to ask how are the manual controls on it, handling wise?

>>2928361
I always make it a point to have something other than my phone on me considering my M9 has a horrible camera. I definitely get weird looks going into a grocery store of gas station with a DSLR on my side though.
>>
>>2928762
The manual controls are decent; the exposure comp wheel is really handy. The thumb roller controls aperture and the circular roller around the d-pad controls shutter speed. If you spring for the X20 it will also display aperture, shutter speed, and metering arrows in the OVF. I don't think the X10 has any info at all in the finder. For that reason alone I think it's worth it to spend a little more and get the 20.

It's a little too big to comfortably carry in a pocket but after much searching I found the Manfrotto Nano VI beltpouch is a perfect fit for the camera with a wrist strap and a few spare batteries. You'll definitely need extra batteries because it's a lot of camera running off just a little capacity but the NP-50 batteries it uses are dirt cheap, only a few dollars each for the generic ones and less than $20 for OEM.
>>
>>2926708
During winter, I kept my 28mm or 50mm on my 350D in my coat pocket.

Now that I have a bigger camera and it's summer, I plan on making a Nylon holder that I can put on the front of my belt.
>>
File: 1471896212122.jpg (19KB, 235x193px) Image search: [Google]
1471896212122.jpg
19KB, 235x193px
>>2927839
>2/3" sensor
>>
I don't carry it around because when I'm not in a mindset of taking photos, I won't notice anything really interesting and worth photographing, even if I have a camera with me. I've never taken a good shot wandering around with my camera, only when I'm geared to get gud pics.
I do keep it close whenever I'm going on a trip though, even if it's a trip that starts at morn and ends at eve.
>>
File: 20160927_002259.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160927_002259.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2926708
I have the same camera OP. I have a small camera bag that will fit my camera+kit lens and my 70-300mm comfortably. I don't take it to work, but if I'm walking my dog or going out for the weekend it's easy to grab quickly.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSAMSUNG-SM-G891A
Camera SoftwareG891AUCS2API2
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2016:09:27 00:22:59
Exposure Time1/10 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Brightness-3.0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length4.20 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Unique Image IDC12QSJB01SB
>>
70d with a sigma 35mm prime, near most everyday. That being said I dont use it a lot just in general, although there have been a couple of times that I've been on a commute to or from school and I've taken a pic that makes it worth it.
>>
>>2926708
>"I have to go to the store"
>bring DSLR with 4 lenses, backup flash cards and batteries, remote shutter, various ND filters, lens hoods
>>
A7II with Zeiss 35mm f2.8

Rather small combo, wrapped in a soft pad it fits in even my smallest of messanger bags. It is a huge step up in prformnce from my NEX-3.

I bring it everywhere pretty much. Don't always take it out. In fact, it probably goes unused more days than used, but nice to have just in case.

I will probably switch my everyday lens with the Voigtlander 40m f 1.4 when my adapter comes in later this week (hope,ully).
>>
I've pretty much always got my 6D and the Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron with me.

Its nice to have but I'll admit something even smaller would be cool for just walking around.
>>
>>2934514
I have the same camera, Is the 70-300 lens good?
>>
File: 20160722141339_IMG_1832_1.jpg (1MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20160722141339_IMG_1832_1.jpg
1MB, 1920x1280px
>>2934932
It's not an L lens, but I find I pretty good for what I paid for it. It's easier to carry around than an L lens at least

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 750D
Lens Size70.00 - 300.00 mm
Lens NameEF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Image Created2016:07:22 14:13:39
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length300.00 mm
Image Width1920
Image Height1280
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
ISO Speed RatingAuto
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeAI Focus
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed224
Color Matrix130
>>
File: 20160927_162207.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20160927_162207.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>2934514
Of course you never know when something interesting might happen. Saw these guys today.
>>
Carry it anytime I don't have plans later that day where it would be annoyin to have (bar, restuarant). Some of my best shots were on days I didn't want to bother bringing it.
>>
File: IMG_2450 resize.jpg (531KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2450 resize.jpg
531KB, 1080x720px
>>2934932
>>2935047
OP Here

I did not buy mine WITH the Canon 70-300 - But later decided I wanted a zoom lens

After doing some reading, I decided that the Sigma APO DG 70-300 would fit my bill and would overall be better value. So far I'm really happy with it for a ~$150 lens. And it has a red ring so >muh red ring (even though that's just signifying the APO coating NOT a super high end lens like Canon L glass)

Pic related is a snapshit taken with it out on a walk with my gf. I spent about 0 time actually composing or aiming the shot and actually didn't even stop walking and I think it performed quite well. Yes it's not a masterpiece photo but it managed to capture it just fine in my opinion.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS Rebel T6i
Lens Size70.00 - 300.00 mm
Lens Name70-300mm
Image Created2016:09:25 17:26:14
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length300.00 mm
Image Width1080
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure ModeTv-Priority
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
ISO Speed RatingAuto
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeContinuous
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed212
Color Matrix135
>>
>>2934514
>camera kept in bag
>never know when something interesting might happen
Like you getting a photo in focus?

Before carrying your camera everywhere, please learn to take a photo
>>
>>2935835

Focus is over rated.

But in this case, I thibk it is more of his phone camera being trash.
>>
I chuck my Nikon D7200 with an 18-105mm lens in my backpack most of the time.
>>
i always have my stylus epic with me. usually dont take my bigger cameras out unless im doing something cool or going out for the purpose of shooting photos.
>>
>>2935830

Delete this garbage.
>>
1dx with sigma 50mm/1.4A.
take it almost everywhere.
beaten to shit and still kickin
>>
>>2936037
no
>>
File: 202403.jpg (323KB, 1476x1423px) Image search: [Google]
202403.jpg
323KB, 1476x1423px
yes of course
>>
>>2937669
here i'm out for a casual stroll w my gear

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3X
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
PhotographerLonna Tucker
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Color Filter Array Pattern1046
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Image Width6048
Image Height4032
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2010:09:15 09:35:47
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Exposure Bias1 EV
Subject Distance2.51 m
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width900
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
Yeah I take a camera pretty much every time I leave the apartment, even if it's just to walk the dog or something. Usually either a film compact or the GR in a jacket pocket. If I take a bag I'll take both and often switch the GR with X-T10 & XF27mm.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.