[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Product Photography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Collection.jpg (2MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Collection.jpg
2MB, 1800x1200px
I am a co-founder of a motorsports apparel company and we are trying to improve our content. It is just the two of us in the company right now so we don't have the money to hire a professional or models.

How should I go about taking lifestyle pics of our products? I have a little /p/hoto experience and an A6000 with the 18-50 kit and a 55-200 sony zoom.

Any help is appreciated.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.16
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)45 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:06:21 22:41:24
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Brightness2.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceTungsten
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length30.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1800
Image Height1200
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
You have three options:
1. A chair to kick.
2. A noose.
3. A running car in a garage.
>>
>>2922320
This stuff doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would ever really be good in a lifestyle shot.
I mean, personally, I'd expect to see these very cheap in a Kmart kids area but maybe that's just my part of the world.
In which case, sell them to Kmart and let them put a kid in it for their catalogue.
Otherwise, I guess you could take photos of people wearing them while they're sitting down having a drink watching a race.
I really can't picture how you'd do this with people in black shirts though without it looks g really cheap.

I don't mean to offend you and I'm no fashionista by any means. Just my thoughts.
If you do the same design in White or grey, I'd use that for shooting productshots
>>
Find someone to model the clothing, friend, family friend, whatever, buy a 30mm/35mm f/1.8 for the A6000, find a nice background that's relevant to whatever you're selling, shoot portrait shots.

Clothing shot on it's own won't stand out enough, it needs to be on an actual person.

Also the 16-50 is complete shit and soft as anything unless stopped down to f/8 or so, which is kinda useless for anything other than landscape.
>>
>>2922332
Also, who is your average customer and how do they buy these? I would imagine they might sell better track-side than online in which case, there's not really any need for a lifestyle shot. If it's for online, I'd just be getting people similar to your target customers to wear the shirt and take photos either trackside or even just on a grassy mound somewhere that looks like they're watching a race
>>
>>2922333
Yeah I know the kit is a shit lens so a fast prime is going to be my next purchase.

Thanks for the feedback. We've been trying to get away from just shooting the apparel itself for both the marketing imagery as well as the content on the site.
>>
>>2922333
I'm annoyed by your gearfaggot recommendation to OP to go buy more gear shit instead of using the 2 lenses he's already got, as though any difference in quality as a result of his lens choices will make any difference compared to lighting.
>>
>>2922334
We just started back in May so we're online only at this point. For 2017 we're looking to hit some major races with product to sell at the track.

It's expensive to go driving around to all the tracks and keep all the inventory so we're focusing on online sales through the end of the year
>>
>>2922299
The way you make money is just to be at racetracks. If you were in the infield for the run up to and during the Indy 500 weekend you would make a ton of cash because these are way better than most of the shit people are trying to push out. And I think race fans aren't the type to get their stuff off the internet for the most part.
>>
>>2922336
The kit 16-50 truly is complete shit. Lighting won't make an ounce of difference with it, the shallow DOF needed for portrait/product shots simply isn't possible with it.

The 55-200 would probably work out okay, but a 35/50mm prime is going to work out a while lot better and is an extremely valuable bit of gear for the long term.
>>
>>2922389
>Product
>Shallow DOF

Every fucking time
pls stop
>>
>>2922340
I appreciate the advice here and you're on the right track but desu we're not looking for business advice, I am trying to get better at product photography here
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.