[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lens suggestions for street photography? Preferably under $200

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_8710.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8710.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Lens suggestions for street photography? Preferably under $200
>>
Just use your fucking kit lens. Learn how to google shit. Fuck.
>>
>>2921840
I want suggestions from people who have first hand accounts of their lenses and can give me insight on which ones they prefer. I've owned the fucking kit lenses for over a year now and I'm tired of their shitty oversensitive focus rings and want a fixed lens better than a fucking 18-55mm and a 55-200mm. Google just throws out random articles and I don't want to spend hours looking at 20 different articles saying 20 different lenses are the "best lens" for street photography. If you don't have any suggestions to give me then kindly fuck off, prick.
>>
>>2921870
If you can't figure it out yourself, then you need to keep using your kit more. Keep it locked at various focal lengths for extended periods of time and see which you prefer. Typical street photography focal lengths range from 24mm-50mm, wide to standard range.
>>
>>2921870
I like my Sigma EX DC HSM 10-20mm it was about 300 I think so a bit out of your price range but it's a nice lens. Not sure if you want a wide angle but it's a nice lens that can capture a lot of shit. 10mm on a crop sensor still feels fucking wide as fuck.

I'm able to get an entire car in from the side whilst being about 5 feet away from it.

Low light performance is "OK" but if you have decent lighting you can get good pictures. Pretty quick and quiet focus too.

But if you're going to try and be discreet just get a small/compact point and shoot with a high megapixel count or something, or use your phone.
>>
50 mm f 1.8 is good but I find that there is a ton of situations where I'm wishing I had a different lens.
>>
>>2921893
Me again, like I really like shooting with wide angles because it makes the pictures feel so much more "present" I don't like correcting the slight distortion it gives (has a bit of fisheyeing around the 10mm end) because it gives a feel like you're there almost. I don't know. I like it.
>>
>>2921870
lol kys faggot
>>
Any 50mm equivalent prime will do.
>>
>>2921890
I prefer 35mm, I've started shooting film recently and fell in love with my 35mm lens
>>
>>2921870
If you dont want to spend the time to look up and read about what lenses to use, then you'll always be a lazy piece of shit photographer. Die in a fire.
>>
>>2921897
Agreed. Which, is why I told this dumbfuck to use his kit lens 18-55mm. You have the ability to run up to 55mm and close to wide angle with the 18mm. If youre going out shooting random shit, and you dont really know what youre doing, 18-55 and call it a day.
>>
>>2921838
35 mm F1.8

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:02:15 23:26:21
Exposure Time1/80 sec
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating5000
Brightness-4.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2000
Image Height1353
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2922166
>35 mm F1.8

This. It's like $200 and it's sharp as hell and good optics overall. It's also really small and you can take shots more discreetly.

I wish Nikon made pancakes. That would be the ultimate.
>>
my 50mm is pretty good for dat BOKEH but you have to get pretty far away. of all the lenses i have they each serve there purpose but the kit lens works pretty good for everything
but i was thinking about getting a 24mm or 35mm
>>
Nikkor 50-105mm
>>
>>2921870
wew lad, good job owning the kit lens for over a year now
>>
I really like shooting street from the hip with a 24/1.4, but that's really out of your budget.
>>
Joining the choir: 35mm 1.8.

Got it as my first lens after the 18-55mm kit, and after that I only ever looked back when I needed 18mm for some stupid reason.
>>
>>2921838
Get an 18-55 or settle for a 35mm prime
>>
>>2921838
i have the same camera. sold my 18-55 to get the 35mm f1.8g. completely worth it. that was what i used when i went travelling. also have a tamron 18-200 which was $200 which i dont use at all because the 35mm is just soo great overall
>>
I have a 55 mm f/1.8g from Nikon. I bought for like 220$ but you can probably find it for less now. It autofocuses great and can be manually adjusted after af decision is made. Really great way to pick a subject, then specific details on a subject. 50 mm is said to be best distance for street photography just because artsy. But it also depends on what you do in street photography.
>>
File: K1600__DSC2239.jpg (487KB, 1805x1200px) Image search: [Google]
K1600__DSC2239.jpg
487KB, 1805x1200px
>>2922166
Also my choice. Sharp af.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3200
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern840
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:09:12 17:45:11
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
CommentMORITZ
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2921838
the 35/1.8 is slightly too long. Get a manual-focus 24/2.8 for like €150
>>
>>2923316

I don't usually go for these type of photos but this one is nice.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.