[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi looking to convert some of my older photos to digital for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: scanner.jpg (21KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
scanner.jpg
21KB, 475x475px
hi looking to convert some of my older photos to digital for sake of archiving them while its still possible to.
can /p/ recomend any makes of scanners? any i should avoid?
Available budget is about £50 [$66/59.07 Euro]
>>
Do you own a camera with a macro lens?
>>
>>2920110
>Have you heard of our lord Jesus Christ?

OP, run, now.
>>
>>2920112
The budget is £50.
His other options are a cheap flatbed scanner and the thing from OP picture, which is essentially a shitty smartphone camera with a macro lens inside a box.
>>
Do you have a dslr?
>>
>>2920106
> can /p/ recomend any makes of scanners?
Reflecta RPS 10M.

Or DSLR/MILC with macro lens.

> any i should avoid?
Cheap shit without even a film strip feeder, never mind any scan quality.

> Available budget is about £50 [$66/59.07 Euro]
Even halfway decent scanner software costs twice as much (vuescan).

Do this later when you have a minimum amount of money.
>>
>>2920106
>>2920113

horrible reviews. avoid at all costs...

https://www.amazon.com/SLIDES2PC-Photo-Negative-Slide-Converter/product-reviews/B001DCGMR4/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0
>>
These little slide converters are pretty terrible. My parents recently bought one (against my better advice) and it's awful, substantially worse than what I get with my flatbed. The slides come out looking like they were photographed with a flip phone camera from 2005.
>>
>>2920106
I have a wolverine f2d film scanner and it's okay, I'm honestly just going to move to shooting on my digicam so I can capture in raw and higher resolution
Brand new my scanner was 99, you might be able to find it cheap used
Alternatively buy a flatbed
>>
>>2920106
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/slide-copy-adapters/es-1-slide-copying-adapter-for-52mm-thread.html

Nikon slide copy adapter + extension tubes and speedlight
>>
buy a second hand backlit flat bed scanner, epson canon or some shit

dont bother with the effort of the other shit like macro and all, this will give you quick good quality scans

youre welcome
>>
>>2920726
Bad advice. Unless he can afford something like Epson V700, he'll get 4 MP scans with crushed shadows and shitty color.
>>
File: slide.jpg (1MB, 1000x693px) Image search: [Google]
slide.jpg
1MB, 1000x693px
>>2920744
here's an example of a Slide scanned with a V600. Not the best but for archiving it's more than enough imo

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3909
Image Height2709
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:09:09 17:28:23
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height693
>>
>>2920765
That's 0.7 MP resolution, bruh, and a slide that doesn't have deep shadows.

Also, even a used V600 is like four times OP's stated budget.
>>
>>2920106
I bought a second hand coolscan with a slide tray feeder accessory for digitizing our old family snapshits.

It was like ~10x your budget, but honestly, if you have 1000's of pictures to go through, you're going to want to pay for the convenience of maximum level automation. I guarantee you will go insane doing any kind of manual feeding job.
>>
OP here.
first thanks to everyone for their help and advice about this.
Soooo.....the general opinion seems to be that i either save up for a higher quality scanner or make do with a lower quality one.

if £50 isnt an ideal budget what would be an ideal minimum budget [note i'm a full time carer so im currnetly on less tha £100 [$132] a week benefits].
>>
>>2921323
If you don't already have a digital camera that you can put a macro lens on, a scanner is your best bet. A used Epson V300 (~$80) is alright for on-screen viewing and smaller prints, but if your goal is archival, I'd suggest to save up for a used V500 (~$200) so later you don't get the urge to re-scan everything again with higher quality.

Do note that if you have B&W negatives or high-contrast slides, you do need a V500 or better something with an even higher density range, otherwise you'll get flattened highlights or deep shadows.
>>
>>2920860
this is the way to go. Sure used Coolscans go from $700 for a 5000ED to $3000 for a 9000ED but you can sell them for what you payed once you are done scanning.

I have a Coolscan 8000ED I bought for $1000, it has served well an is working right now on some 120 I shot over the summer.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.