[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THE CONSUMER P+S CAMERA MARKET HAS JUST BEEN KILLED

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 6

File: iPhone 7 Jet black.jpg (73KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
iPhone 7 Jet black.jpg
73KB, 1200x630px
RIP in pieces

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/07/iphone-7-7-plus-announced-dual-cameras-zoom-bokeh/

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:09:07 11:22:21
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1200
Image Height630
>>
>>2919599
Wow, we didn't know about this 6 months ago....
>>
>>2919599
Digitally faked bokeh looks like garbage.

Cell phone photography will never look good only scrape by.
>>
>>2919599
Holy shit the bokeh looks gross too. and I''' never care anyway, since my sweet delicious bokerino is produced by glass only.
>>
>>2919607
SOCCER MOMS WILL LOVE IT
>>
HTC one m8 had dual cameras, looked like ass.
>>
File: 1440434254679.png (166KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
1440434254679.png
166KB, 431x431px
>just
>>
>>2919625
Their approach didn't have anything to do with actual optical zoom. Plus, HTC used crappy 4mp sensors back then - which were clearly inferior.
>>
>>2919599
Not really a telephone anymore is it? It's just a cheesy bit of bling, a "look at me" accessory. It's crap as a camera, crap as a music player, keyhole internet browsing and a bunch of shitty bloatware designed to sell you shit you dont want and steal your data.

The only things it is good for is making phone calls, messaging and taking notes. Can do all that just as well on a cheap Samsung
>>
>>2919607

i can grantee you can't tell the difference

when i get mine in a few weeks, i'll snap some shit with my 5d mark iii and my iPhone and you won't even be able to tell the fucking difference you pretentious little hack
>>
>>2919671
>grantee
Can't even spell
>>
is the sensor size the same? same sensor? fuck off
>>
>>2919675

be cuz spelling is important for photopgrahy how???
>>
So legit question here, is the 56mm lens going to give us a more noticeably shallow depth of field than the regular 28mm one without the digital bokeh? For the purposes of video, for example.
>>
>>2919680
It's important for your credibility you illiterate twat
>>
>>2919682
From what they showed in the presentation, no
>>
>>2919682

been trying to figure this out.

it shows in the live preview, but i assume it computes after the shot had been taken, so probably not. i doubt they have the capability to run it 30fps
>>
>>2919599

Sample photos are:

-Chink nigger
-Tumblrina
-Nigger
-Nigger
-Small white male head cropped
-Nigger crotch
-Tumblrina
-Nigger X3
-Blonde Nigress

Wow it really made me think.
>>
>>2919697
why do /pol/ tards always get triggered so easily?
>>
>>2919682
It'll (probably) still have a 7.21 crop factor, do the math.
>>
Bokeh samples look disgusting. Worse than mirror lenses.
>>
>>2919706
>easily

They put a lot of effort into those SJW photos anon.

>read "nigger crotch"
>no way, that can't be real
>click link
>scroll down
>tfw one of the same photos is a nigger's crotch
>>
>autistic amateur photographers complaining about apple again

your hobby is now accessible to everyone, get over it
>>
Everything looked good until i saw the prices.
€799 for the reduced version. €179 for the Bluetooth earplugs.

Apple GTFO
>>
>>2919747
>accessible to everyone

The double-lens iPhone costs twice as much as my camera.
>>
>>2919706

I was trained in SJW skills. I was trained to look into everything, that everything was political, that ideology was everywhere, specially in mass marketed artifacts, that there was always an agenda behind every text you reach or that is thrown at you. Now, of course, SJWs will turn off their paranoid skills when faced to someone with their same narrative, even if its a supranational mogul like Apple aping in the tumblr trends to ensure maximum profit and market reach.
>>
>>2919749
>€799 for the reduced version

That was about what i paid for the Pentax 6x7+105mm 2.4+Grip+Import tax+20X rolls of Portra 400NC.

Fuck Apple in the ass.
>>
>>2919727
>because the Nok's battery life is geting closer to the 2 day mark now

you do realize that an iPhone isn't going to last you more than 2 days unless you turn off fucking everything and don't load any extra apps, right?
>>
There are - really - a smartphone that have a better sensor than a compact camera? A U$100,00 compact or a cheap one? Not trolling, I am really curious if some phone can have a better sensor.
>>
>>2919766

Nokia 1020.
>>
>>2919766
Midrange and higher-end phones have the same kind of sensors, around 1/2.3", with relatively fast prime lenses (f/2.5 or faster is not unusual). Some have image stabilization. So quality-wise, they're as good as your typical small-sensor compact camera.

Obviously, a high-end large-sensor compact like Sony RX100 will destroy any phone at IQ, and the lack of zoom is limiting.
>>
>>2919682

> is the 56mm lens going to give us a more noticeably shallow depth

No. It's only 56mm equiv. Even 60mm equiv on a "large sensor" compact P&S will not give you shallow DOF.

>>2919766
Depends on the compact camera. There are some really bad ones out there. Is there a phone with a better sensor than the lx100? Not close. RX100? No. Ricoh GR? No. Some bottom shelf compact? Yes, probably.
>>
sexy phone
>phone
>p
>>
>>2919599
The phone has no headphone jack
Also prob fake photos, Apple uses pro photos in next to all of their ads
Fun hobby: go to an Apple Store and on their test iPhones, upload the gallery photos into an exif reader in browser and it'll tell you what gear they used because Apple legally couldn't remove the copyright data lmao
>>
>>2919697
God forbid a company uses models that accurately reflect their demographics instead of maintaining some sort of white bread 1950s fantasy.
>>
>>2919599
Wait, does this mean you have to hold the phone vertically to have a horizontal aspect ratio?
Won't these photos look weird in portrait orientation?
Won't the stitching fuck up often?
Doesn't this wide ass fov look kind of dumb
>>
I was pretty frustrated when I found out that it was a digitally simulated bokeh, but probably should've known better. I'm needing to upgrade my phone soon, but the price and size of the plus is just ridiculous...

The real question is—are they just trying to increase their Jappo marketshare?
>>
>>2919809
No. It's not a stereo camera. You hold it the same as any camera
>>
>>2919834
Simulated bokeh has been a thing for a while, but with only one lens we had to do a weird two picture technique that only worked on static subjects. This is the same thing but its supposed to be as easy as a normal shot. Sounds neat but it's not nearly enough for me to drop Android and pay appletax for a new phone I don't need.
>>
>>2919762
but can u make phone calls with ur pentacks???
>>
>>2919845
pretty sure you can glue your smartphone to the back of a 6x7 pentacks
>>
That's pretty impressive. I assume next will be some sort of aperture control.

Maybe being able to select from two or three options from a menu.

Also, a real telephoto equivalent lens would be nice.

Interesting time. While I'll never give up my dslr it would be nice to have something of that quality while I'm just going about my day.
>>
So I read in one article that the depth mapping relies on face/body recognition so you probably wouldn't be able to use the artificial dof for anything other than portraits. Do you think this is the case? I was really hoping to get the 7+ but the dual camera is actually seeming pretty limited by the software.
>>
>>2919888
probably the only thing the typical iphone photographer would want it for, nothing wrong with that
>>
>>2919888

I'll bet it's just some sort of phase detection or stereoscopic bullshit using the two lenses.
>>
>>2919892
So it could apply to inanimate objects?
>>
>>2919894

Probably? Hard to say until it comes out.
>>
lmaoing @ people editing pictures in their perpetually broken iphone screens.
>>
File: average g poster.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
average g poster.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>2919897
HEY! Take that back, they are water-resistant now
>>
>>2919899
>water-resistant now

already better than the A7ii LOL.
>>
>>2919845

i dont need to call anyone, the P67 makes them bitches flock automatically to my dick, you worthless insect.
>>
>>2919808
You're right.
The only people who still care about Apple are brand obsessed.
i.e. can't stop buying Air Jordans or shooting Sony.
>>
>>2919808
it's actually because most white people don't mind seeing blacks in photos. blacks hate white people and therefore hate to see them in advertisements

apple is just appeasing the more demographic with the more aggressive hatred in an attempt to maximize market share.
>>
>>2919968
Almost as bad as being anti-brand obsessed
i.e. can't stop hating Apple or Sony, just because they're Apple or Sony
>>
>>2920109
I've never seen anyone hating Sony for being Sony. People hate it for all their products being badly engineered crap incessantly shilled online.
>>
shoot film
give no fux about this shit
>>
>>2920115
>yfw iphone beats every film compact at iq
>>
>>2919671
will the iphon have better dynamic range than the 5dmkiii?
>>
>>2920118
my 1/1.7" compact resolves more detail than 35mm film, and it's smaller than film compacts. it's quite pathetic. film can do nothing right.
>>
>>2919599
Hasn't this been done before by huwai and some other makers ?
>>
>>2920173
Apple's use of two cameras is somewhat different, but yeah, they aren't bringing anything particularly new to the table.
>>
>>2919747
>your hobby is now accessible to everyone, get over it
That's true. People are practically giving away medium format film cameras for free.
>>
>>2920118
But does it beat film at the feels?
>>
>>2920189
Apple has 200+ million fans who won't accept anything that doesn't feel like Apple.

Does film have that? I highly doubt so.
>>
>>2920118

iphone vs leica summilux noritsu koki scan

keep dreamin punk
>>
>>2920205
>noritsu scan
>horrible JPEG jaggies, tone banding and artifacts
>dreaming
I'm pretty sure it is a nightmare
>>
>>2920216
>being this jelly
>>
They are calling 56mm *telephoto*??!?

I mean, yes, it's *slightly* longer than a 50mm, but come on...
>>
>>2920252
when you're shooting 28mm, 50mm is telephoto for you
>>
>>2920173
>Hasn't this been done before by huwai and some other makers ?

Several times by different companies.
Results were never good.

Apple bought a company who did a new type of processing for dual cameras.
But in the end they didn't even implement their system.
I suspect they had high expectations for the new system, but when it disappointed they didn't have enough time to change the dual camera design so they just left it in.
>>
File: le hasselblad face.png (22KB, 418x559px) Image search: [Google]
le hasselblad face.png
22KB, 418x559px
>>2920205
>film compact with a summilux

>noritsu koki scan is good

Did you forget to take your fluphenazine again?
>>
>>2920252
56mm is approximately what iPhone tell adapter lenses brought you to. This means you can attach the adapter to reach 85~105
>>
>>2919607
>Digitally faked bokeh looks like garbage.
I think you mean Gaussian blur looks like garbage.

But it doesn't have to be the case, especially with dual cameras.

Consider 2 possible scenarios:

1. The longer lens focused on minimum focusing distance, takes the first photo, in order to produce some *real*, optical bokeh. Then it focuses on the subject and takes the second photo. The second lens is used to triangulate the distance of the subject, in order to isolate it and "paste" the bokeh shit behind it with some automated masking.

2. Since you have 2 cameras, you can triangulate any distance on the frame and create a distance map. Then, in software, use some very basic Ray tracing to calculate what real bokeh would look like. Quite later, As processing power increases, you could create and run models of any lens you like, simulating their aberrations and every other characteristic that affects bokeh, creating simulated bokeh which is far beyond indistinguishable from the real thing.
>>
Is this the beginning of the end for mirrorless? Outside of my "photo" circle anyone I know with a mirrorless bought it because they wanted more advanced features than a phone but without the hassle/weight of a dslr.

Now with a phone offering dual lenses and apps allowing control over features like shutter speed, white balance, iso I figure many people would rather just have the phone.

Thoughts?
>>
If you had to choose between either a Ricoh gr 2 or iPhone 7 exclusively for photography which would you buy ?
>>
>>2920492
The sensor is still tiny ass in these phones . also for some people using a touch screen and relying on a digital display is a deal breaker . For the average consumer a decent phone camera like the one in the 7 is nice to have .
>>
>>2919599
welcome to 2009
>>
>>2920510
leica md
>>
>>2920525
Fine fine but between an iPhone 7 and a mirrorless?
>>
>>2920526
gr 2 seriously tho, its as big as my 6s plus+case. unfortunately this is gimmicky of apple but they did improve battery life, waterproof, ios10 and the iphone since 5s has been good enough for food pics and group pictures. never messed with mirrorless except the leica q which is dank as fuck
>>
>>2920532
>waterproof
lol no, water resistant and waterproof are two entirely different things
>>
>>2920535
can be submerged for like 30 minutes i heard
also
https://youtu.be/yWYHHNADK04
it was water proof and they dont even advertise it
>>
>>2920540
>Still, Apple won't cover water damage on the iPhone 7 under the warranty, so you're better off keeping it out of water when you can
wow
>>
>>2919766
Depends what you count as a smartphone. Panasonic has one that's really a fixed lens 1" sensor compact with a phone grafted to the back of it, but it's bulky as fuck, crazy expensive, and the phone part is mediocre and outdated.
>>
>>2920187
Medium format film is outdated trash kid
>>
>>2920326
It's just blurred dude. The mapping that's done just identifies faces then blurs the rest. Check out the sample images, especially the one with the lights on the wall. Looks like shit.
>>
>>2919599
>shit glass
>shit sensor
>shit low light
Why invest in this when you could invest in a good p&s
>>
>>2920546

I wish it wasn't a shitty phone. I read it even has adjustable aperture.
>>
>>2919667
>crap as a music player

wut?
>>
>>2920557
bait.png
>>
>>2920671
The default iphone music app is pretty terrible
>>
>>2920492
Nah, people go mirrorless because they want the quality and options of a DSLR, but without the archaic flappy mirror and with a far superior electronic viewfinder.
>>
>>2920671
>>2920675
It's not the app that's the issue,
It's the fucking awful dac's and amp.

Get a sansa clip mini (old version with squarer nav pad, will only cost $10) load it up with the same music as your iphone, use the same headphones, and compare back and forth.

Now cry at your realisation about how apple cheaps out on everything.
>>
>>2920679
>awful dac's and amp

Get over yourself. If you believe that a sansa clip has a better dac than an iphone and that it would matter you're delusional. Combine that with the fact that there's no way the sansa clip has a better amplifier considering the battery size and constraints of the device

If not lets see some actual benchmarks measuring the devices to back it up because everything you've just said is audiophile hearsay drivel that you probably picked up on /g/
>>
>>2919599
adding a 2nd camera doesn't make your phone snapshits resemble non-phone snapshits.

And the iphone camera sucks just like the ishit itself sucks.
The galaxy S7 and nexus 6p and several other phones have much better cameras than the ishit.
>>
>>2919599
If it has good high-ISO performance I don't see a problem.
>>
>>2920699
>ishit
you make a powerful argument
>>
>>2920679
I believe you, but it doesn't bother me, and probably wont until I try something better.

>>2920675
I stopped using my iphone se for music because even my ipod touch second gen has a better app
>>
>>2921563
and ipod has better battery life and it still has the original battery
>>
>>2919599
As much as I hate iPhones (or at least the way they're marketed) I've always thought of them as having the best camera.
Not sure why they upgraded the camera again and made no other improvements.
I think P&S have been dead for a long time.
I wouldn't bother with one anyway. Then again I'm the sort of person who wants the best tech available or nothing at all. I don't see the point spending $500 on a P&S knowing from day 1 that the photos will always be just OK.
>>
>>2919680
Oh please stop
>>
>>2919697All the manufacturers do this, they always show non white people in their photos because they can't get them right, ho many people in photography actually know the real skin tone of people in some village in south america ?
>>
File: 1410279319595.jpg (94KB, 600x526px) Image search: [Google]
1410279319595.jpg
94KB, 600x526px
>>2919599
Wow. The same thing LG did with the G5 and Huawei copied.
While there was Google Lensblur for years.
>>
Oversatured samples with DoF nowhere to be seen: http://petapixel.com/2016/09/12/first-real-world-iphone-7-plus-photos-nfl-us-open/
>>
>>2919808
do you honestly believe that reflects the demographics?
>>
File: 1449771224849.jpg (78KB, 750x558px) Image search: [Google]
1449771224849.jpg
78KB, 750x558px
>>2923638
Why would they not use their target group in their Marketing?
>>
>>2923601
Didn't they say that feature would get delivered at a later date through a software update?
>>
>>2919599
Too bad the iShit 7s will only produce 120x80 pixel images that aren't worth shit for actual prints.

Also sensor size.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.