[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is exposing to the right bullshit or what?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (8KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 251x201px
So is exposing to the right bullshit or what?
>>
No. But most of the time, your DR will spread through your histogram anyway. So it's not always applicable.
>>
If you shoot raw and avoid clipping it's not. But a newer technique is to shoot a burst of shots, align and average then. 4 shots will take you from a real ISO 100 to the noise levels of ISO 25.
>>
>>2911503

That's not a newer technique at all.
>>
>>2911511
newer than ettr
>>
>>2911535

Nah, image stacking with the purpose of averaging has been around for a long time. I used to do it with my old canon a80 back in 2004.
>>
>>2911564
cool story
>>
>>2911566

The salt is real.
>>
>>2911535
>
>>2911564
>>2911566
>>2911590

cool faggotry, lads.
>>
>>2911489
ettr comes from the idea that a sensor is performing better in resolving bright information than dark. or rather the sensor handles read-outs with high amounts at a greater distance from the electronical noise level than read-outs with low amounts. while this is mostly true, one shouldn't underestimate that sensors also can have trouble with high amounts (for different reasons). so in most cases the best resolving occurs in the mid-area. with a slight tendency to the lighter side.
so, as a tendency it is a good idea. rather a little brighter than a little darker. but objectively seen the win of quality is marginal.

... in the programing world there is a good term for stuff like this: micro-optimization.
>>
>>2911564
2004? Ettr has been around for decades before digital cameras existed.
>>
>>2911610

Oh yeah, with all of those sick histograms and raw files that film produces.

Yeah, I get it. Expose for shadows, develop for highlights. "Expose to the right" didn't exist until the 2000's, laddy.
>>
>>2911594
It really only works at ISO100 anyway, because at ISO200 you've already thrown half your photons away... what exactly are you optimizing then?
It also mostly pertains to older cameras with limited DR and noisy shadows, as it used to be easy to recover the highlights on those sensors, but something with a Sony chip in it like the D810, A7RII or similar has all of its DR in the shadows, meaning that all you have to do exposure-wise is make sure the highlights don't clip; the rest can just be recovered.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.