[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STUPID QUESTIONS THREAD - QTDDTOTT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 42

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread.

Previous Thread >>2887425
>>
Why does "DSC" in the camera filename means?
>>
>>2909818
Digital Still Camera
>>
I'm looking to buy a camera so I can record decent/high quality HD videos to post on YouTube as well as take some pictures when I travel to different countries.
I've got a budget of about $500-$800AUD. So I know I'm not going to get the most amazing camera but I want something that isn't trash like my previous $99 Polaroid digital camera.
I don't really know all that much about cameras so I haven't been willing to go into a store and buy one with out finding out a little more about them or at least getting some recommendations.
Besides wanting to be able to shoot some good HD video I don't really have any requirements but a camera like the Canon EOS M10 with a rotating monitor could be quite helpful with recording my videos. But again it's not super necessary.
What are your suggestions /p/ ?
>>
>>2909823
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/dslr/canon/canon-750dkis-24mp-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55mm-is-stm-lens/707749/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/dslr/canon/canon-m3kisb-eos-m3-body-plus-ef-m-18-55mm-lens/711657/

These?
>>
How's Howling as the DJ at Titanium?
>>
>>2909839
Went to Titanium Friday night, it was fantastic.
Best club experience I've ever had.
>>
why are picture frames always at weird ratios? I can't find any that use 3:2

most of mine are uncropped or at least hold the same ratio, that's why I shot them through the viewfinder

but all I can find are 10x8 or 9x14 and shit
>>
>>2909897
Picture frames are based on standard print sizes, most of which are the 4:5 ratio. This is a holder over from when 4x5 and 8x10 film were the standards, and everyone sold 8x10, 11x14, etc size papers. the 2:3 ratio is much less popular for frame sizes, even though most modern cameras take pics in that ratio. 4x6,5x7, 8x12, and 12x18 are all 2:3 ratio sizes, and you might be able to find some 8x12 and the smaller sizes in stock frames, otherwise you'll be needed a custom frame, or to buy a larger frame in a different format and use a matte.
>>
>>2909951
this is helpful, thanks. especially 4x6,5x7, 8x12, and 12x18 so I can just know what to look for instead of constantly sizing up dimensions
>>
Does it make sense to buy MFT lenses or the "m43 is dead" meme is real ? Thanks.
>>
>>2909897

You're supposed to be matting your prints.
>>
>>2909963
yeah but even the mats are weird dimensions

I've never had anything printed or enlarged before, I just wanted a frame with maybe 3 matted bits but can't find any cheap and quick 2:3 ratio ones near me
>>
>>2909965

You should be cutting your own mats as well.
>>
>>2909823
bumping for this sort of question.
I want to start making videos for YouTube but I don't want to make shitty webcam/phone camera quality videos.
Don't have a heap of money to spend probably around the same budget as this guy really.

>>2909837
>https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/dslr/canon/canon-m3kisb-eos-m3-body-plus-ef-m-18-55mm-lens/711657/
Looks pretty cool, is it any good?
>>
>>2909850
Shiiet. I'll check it out sometime then.
>>
>>2910145
>Looks pretty cool, is it any good?
as long as you're not shooting sports or any moving subjects for that matter, you'll be fine.

Pair it up with any STM lens, and you'll be best-in-class auto focus for video work.
>>
>>2910145
>I want to start making videos for YouTube but I don't want to make shitty webcam/phone camera quality videos.
The camera that was literally designed with people like you in mind is the Canon 80D. Might be a bit spendy for you though. The 70D is an older version that might be within your budget.

That said, if you really, really want your videos to seem higher quality, video isn't all that important: sound is. A good mic and learning how to actually use it will do far far more than if you were using some seven figure studio rig.
>>
>>2910148
>Canon 80D
Just went looking online for this, first price I found was $1,700.
That's about $1,000 over my budget.
>>
>>2910151
I'd seriously spend that on an audio set up. I really can't stress how important aq is, especially on something like youtube.
>>
>>2910153
I know, I've got a decent budget for audio too. Have my eye (or should I say ear) on some pretty good audio equipment.
Just wanting to buy the camera first so I can add anything left over from the camera budget into audio and a few other things.
>>
>>2909818
>>
Lenses have their widest aperture at their minimum zoom. Is there a lens where this is reversed?
>>
>>2910247

No, but there are expensive zooms where it maintains a constant aperture throughout the zoom range.
>>
File: nikon.png (362KB, 898x706px) Image search: [Google]
nikon.png
362KB, 898x706px
New here, looking at getting myself a decent camera that me and my gf can use on hiking and car trips. I'm looking at pic related, what do you think? It looks like it does everything that I want but I'm concerned about the zoom which is only up to 3.6x. Do you think that will be a problem?
>>
>>2910243
kek
>>
>>2910252
Nikon is kinda shitty at compacts. Canon, Fuji, and Sony are your best bets for compact cameras.
>>
>>2910255

That's actually the brand new, fully sick Rx100 killer.
>>
>>2910257
This is why I'm considering it. Others look nice but this is the newest and seems to have some good features at the pricepoint. Everything else is a year or two old.
>>
>>2910146
Cool maine hope I'll snap you there.
>>
>>2910252
You'd be better off with something like this >>2909837
>>
How do you compact photos to post them on 4chan without losing quality ?
>>
>>2910390
FFS read the goddamn FAQ
http://pseudosticky.wikia.com/wiki/Pseudo_sticky
lurk moar, faggot
>>
>>2910393
thanks bro
>>
File: A Real Psychopath.jpg (41KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
A Real Psychopath.jpg
41KB, 618x412px
>>2910393
>getting mad at someone in the QTDDTOTT
>>
>>2910393
He had actually really good question because newfags here always post fucking 5mb files..
>>
Where is the /p/ book?
>>
File: 1430227774335.jpg (147KB, 887x960px) Image search: [Google]
1430227774335.jpg
147KB, 887x960px
>>2910393
>>
>>2910912
it was made btw, still exists, its not even that bad, rather good.
>>
if pictur don't do, what it does?
>>
>>2910928
I mean last year's book which Iggy said he would finish this year. I know they have some good stuff in the books which is why I want to take at look at last year's. Care to share a link?
>>
>>2910965
nah
>>
>>2911047

You've got some hilariously fucked up priorities, kiddo. The best /p/ books by far were the two without curation.
>>
File: _DSC0011.jpg (3MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0011.jpg
3MB, 6000x4000px
>Using Nikon D5300
>1/5 Shutter speed
>5.6 Aperture
>1000 ISO

Is this normal? If I take a picture with lower ISO or faster shutter speed, everything gets too dark. Any suggestions?

Pic related.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.6
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1106
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:08:26 00:21:22
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/5 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1000
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2909837
>https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/dslr/canon/canon-m3kisb-eos-m3-body-plus-ef-m-18-55mm-lens/711657/
Just bought myself one of these. If only I knew something about photography... shit.
>>
>>2911100
Yes. Buy either
>a tripod
>a lens that opens more than Æ’3.5-5.6
>a flash
>led T8 tubes
>a better camera
or stop shooting handheld in your basement.
>>
>>2909817
What are some photography books I can read for a beginner?
>>
>>2911211
Any guide by Tom Ang or Scott Kelby will do.
>>
File: 1470859979633.png (46KB, 164x156px) Image search: [Google]
1470859979633.png
46KB, 164x156px
Do most flashes work on most cameras? And why the fuck are they so expensive it is a little light.
>>
>>2911047
Wait a minute. That's a screenshot of the photos from the 2015 book? What the fuck?
>>
>>2911229
LED lights works fine aswell, depending on what you do.

It's just a matter of adding light to a scene.
>>
What do you use for getting pictures off your camera and basic editing? Should I use the shitty software that came with my camera (Canon CameraWindow) or just drag and drop them from the SD card into a folder manually or use something else?

I've got RAW files so I need to turn them into jpgs somehow and do basic cropping and color adjustment and stuff like that, I have CS6 so I assume I should use that? Does that mean I should use Bridge to import the photos, or does it not matter?
>>
>>2911440
I forgot to mention, I have experience using Lightroom, but that costs money so I don't have it on my own computer. So I'm looking for something similar to that, I guess.
>>
>>2909823
>>2910145
Get a t2i, a wide angle lens and some sort of workhorse lens, like a 24-135. and an external microphone. Shouldn't be more than $700 for all that.

T2i is a really nice camera video wise and super affordable at this point.
>>
How much is a good amount to pay for a macro lens?

>>2909818
Question I never even thought to ask.
>>
>>2909823
get good at lighting. you can use an older camera with 1080p and have it look great with the right lighting
>>
>>2910252
http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/compact/gr-ii/
>>
>>2911229
You'll mostly run into issues using TTL. I use an SB 800 on a Canon 5D MKIII. I can't use TTL, but I didn't use TTL when I had a Nikon anyways. Otherwise it works fine.
>>
>>2911075
t. RPT poster
>>
Is it worth getting lightroom if I already have photoshop cs6? It probably just depends on my personal needs but I want to know if there is any distinct advantage.
>>
>>2911807

I'm actually the guy who starts an argument in pretty much every RPT about how bad RPT's are for the board and how they're bad for your own photography.
>>
What's a good upgrade from the kit lens for a Canon EOS50D?
>>
How do i post exif data? Do i have to spoiler them?
>>
>>2912031
You don't.

It's embedded in the file. If it's there, it'll show up on this board on its own.
>>
>>2912033
Oh, thanks.
>>
I am getting interested in photography and I was wondering if weird to ask someone who used to model in high school (she was known for modelling) to model for me to practice? We hung out a couple times but we were never close or anything. Just wondering how retarded it'd be for me to ask.
>>
>>2912045
what's the worst that could happen?
>>
>>2909957
besides all your """meme""" talk, it is to say that mft will be around a couple more years. no worry.
>>
>>2910960
tequila
>>
Why do colours look so shitty on chrome and can you fix it? (Use a mac have googled and tried things but they never seem to work)
>>
>>2909817
I own canon rebel xsi from 2005ish. they dont make it anymore . Says it has a 12 mp sensor. My iphone has the same size. Is this considered "outdated" technology? Should I upgrade to a newer model with a bigger sensor?
>>
>>2912875
Same size? Lol no.
>>
>>2912876
the apple website says iphone 6splus is 12 mp.
>>
>>2912875
>>2912903

The physical size of the sensor is what really matters.
Not the megapixels.

Your DSLR has a respectable APS-C size sensor.
Your phone has a pathetic little 2/3" sensor at the most (probably smaller).

Do you think your 12MP pictures are too small?
Do you need more detail?
Then maybe upgrade.
If not, then don't. (or buy a better lens instead)
>>
File: sensor-size.jpg (65KB, 400x279px) Image search: [Google]
sensor-size.jpg
65KB, 400x279px
>>2912903
Resolution isn't size. Iirc, iPhones have a 1/3" sensor. That rabble has an APS-C sensor. Go to the url in the corner of pic related and read their tutorials.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2008:04:18 12:04:02
Image Width400
Image Height279
>>
>>2912909
It's actually pixel pitch and physical size that matters, and then whether you want to optimize for detail or light gathering and to what degree.
>>
>>2909957
It's not dying, but it should be.

By buying MFT lenses you're only prolonging the suffering.
Stop buying, put it out of its misery, it's the humane thing to do.
>>
>>2912912
No, pixel pitch is irrelevant except in video.
>>
>>2912909
thanks! this thread is for questions just like this
>>
>>2912917
Just remeber:

There are no stupid questions.
Only stupid people.
>>
>>2912914
I'm assuming that you don't understand the relationship between pixel pitch, pixel size, and sensor area so I won't get too pissy with you, but you're 100% wrong.
>>
If i use a digital camera to meter for a medium format film camera will the picture have the correct exposure or does a digital sensor act differently than film?
>>
Is the Smena 8m a good cheap camera for taking double exposures?
>>
>>2913047

Depends on the sensor.
>>
I want to become a nightlife photographer. I'm 20 years old and work in a bar 4 nights a week so thats stopping me getting out and shooting what i want to shoot (parties/raves/events). I have the gear, I have the know-how, I just dont have a compatible job at the moment. Do i quit my bar job and find a random day job and pursue my current goal of being a nightlife photographer?
>>
>>2913299

Are you in Europe? How are you 20 and working in a bar?
>>
>>2913300
straya
Nearly 21 and been doing it for nearly 3 years
>>
>>2913299
Can you just go into clubs and shit to take pictures or do you have to work for the clubs?
>>
>>2913311
>do you have to work for the clubs?
That.

Most clubs will give you a set pay/wage per session, but shitty ones will try and lock you down for hourly rates (not realizing 99.99% of the job is post-processing).

Not the guy you've replied to, but currently working in two different clubs, for a total of 5 sessions a week.

I charge one club (two sessions) a $200 session, but the other one (three sessions) is trying to bargain with me. Might move on from them if they Jew too hard.
>>
>>2913311
>Can you just go into clubs and shit to take pictures
In a lot of places, that's a good way to get booted.
>>
File: smirk.jpg (22KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
smirk.jpg
22KB, 620x330px
>>2913375
Don't forget camera gear rekt and shrekt.
>>
>>2913299
Bar work is easy money brah. See if you can do both (maybe work on odd days etc.).
>>
New to all this. How do you know when black and white is a good idea? My thoughts are when contrast is more important than colour, but wondered what you all thought.
>>
Does leaving my camera like this will harm her?
>>
>>2913602
You know, the camera should be left in the box, never touched nor ever turned on. Laying it on a bare shelf might cause the bottom plate to scratch, which may lead to losing a resell value in the future.

You are treating your camera like a baby not like a fucking tool it is. Take pictures with it and use it instead of worrying about harming it with putting it on a shelf, but try not to drop it, the lens might get misaligned.
tl'dr: It will be completely fine.
>>
Buying a tripod for the first time. What are some essential things to know? Best brands? Brands to avoid? Minimum i should be spending for a great one?
>>
>>2913657
It's not a Leica, anon.
>>
>>2913660
>What are some essential things to know?

Never go for the cheapest tripod ever. A good tripod costs more than $100 - I'd even say $150 and more.

>Brands to avoid?

Sunpak and other cheap BestBuy-like brands.
>>
>>2913660
What's your budget? What are you using it for?
More info is needed anon.

>>2913602
>her
>>
>>2913678
I want a portable one to be able to take long exposure in the city (Washington DC).

I guess my budget would be $150, but i much rather spend something closer to $100.
>>
How can people buy cameras on ebay when 100% of them don't mention the shutter count?
>>
>>2913300
18+ in the states to work a bar
>>
>>2913792

Depends on the state.
>>
What is a cheaper camera than Ricoh gr 2 that is as good or better . Or should i just buy it ? already own a dslr btw
>>
What's a good entry level camera for around ~$300-$400? Will be using it for when I travel
>>
>>2913835
>>2909837
Here you go bro
>>
I want to print and frame my pictures. Should I edit in the white borders so the frame doesn't cut out the actual image, or is this not usually done?
>>
I have inherited a D750 and a couple of lenses. I know nothing about photography, but have always enjoyed looking at it. I have always been interested in taking it up but never did for some reason.

Should I sell it or should I use it to learn how to take pictures? Is it too "advanced" to learn on or have I got myself a golden opportunity? I looked up how much they sell for and I couldn't believe it.
>>
>>2914037
Dude you won the lottery. Keep what you have and it'll keep you good for years. No camera is "too advanced" for a beginner because the things you need to learn to use it are the things you need to learn in general for the technical side.

First thing, sit down and read through some tutorials like the ones at cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm to give you an idea of how it all works, then read through your manual (this part is boring as fuck, but it helps you apply what you've learned elsewhere).

If you get bored with reading, slap that fucker in P, then go take some snapshits with the different lenses just to see how they look. Change over to A or S and see what happens when you spin the dials. Etc.

But you scored good.
>>
>>2914037

It's a hell of an opportunity. You've been given a camera with basically unlimited potential, and I'm sure the lenses are great too.

Go for it. Read the manual, cover to cover, twice. That should give you a massive head start. Then, shoot what interests you, and shoot often.
>>
>>2914037
>"inherited"
>D750
>couple of lenses

So you mean you stole it or it has fallen off of some truck?
>>
>>2914041
>>2914044
>>2914048

Thanks. I'm quite a bit more excited now. No, it wasn't stolen. It belonged to a relative.

I'll probably be taking pictures of wildlife, the sea, countryside and old architecture since I live in a rural area. One of the lenses was 35mm but I can't remember what the other was.
>>
Is it worth saving for the T5i vs the T5 for babby's first camera?
>>
Does anybody have a neewer or yongnuo flash?
Do they need any extra gear to be used wirelessly with nikon?
>>
In low light situations which is better/how is it diferent, to up iso on location or expusure in Post?
Is it the same for vídeo?
Thanks, togos.
>>
>>2914070
If you want vídeo then yes. Same for the rotate screen, which proves useful most for video, so were back at the first anwser.
Also, cant tell you about the tx series, but the t5i is basically the same as the 4i and 3i if im not mistaken. So if youre buying used thats something to consider.
>>
>>2913994
No, don't do this. Go out and buy actual mattes for the picture frames. It'll look a thousand times better.
>>
>>2914260
Increasing ISO will raise the tension at the read-outs of the sensor. Ofc this will also raise noise. Raising blacks in post however will simply display darker values as lighter ones.

Considering this, it should be clear that raising ISO is the better idea, since raising in post will not generate any kind of new/more data. Still ISO gained data is flawed, but it's at least somehow more data.

lighting > aperture > shutter speed > ISO > post-adjustment>>2914262
>>
>>2914357
Eh, not quite that simple

ISO is literally raising the gain (amplification of the signal). While amplification is a process that raises the noise level, it doesn't necessarily raise the level of noise to an amount that it becomes noticeable in any way. When this becomes a problem is when the N of the SNR overpowers the S and the noise becomes measurable and perceptible (and then the amount that is perceptible is important). Over time, through clever tricks, the amount of gain that can be applied without overwhelming the signal with noise has been increased and will continue to be increased for quite some time.

Since I'm almost out of room here and don't feel like talking about how ISOless files work, google that up to see why in some cases it doesn't really matter if you underexpose and lift later or if you get it in camera through some method, but basically it's strongly linked lowering the detection floor of sensor sites plus a few tricks in the file encoding.

If you're into information theory/signals processing, modern cameras are amazing with some of their solutions to problems of things like receptive bandwidth limitations. If you want a much better understanding on how this stuff works, look into signals processing.
>>
>>2914370
I was giving a brief recommendation. and inspite of your semi-detailed explanation my original statement is still valid. what you may not lose in noise you will still lose in dynamic range. you will lose SOME quality, but what I said was that it's still better than raising values in post. which you didn't contradict.

so, I halfwhat appreciate your additional information but maybe next time you firstly could mention that it is an addition and secondly respect the original statement ... and get rid of that uber-teacher tone...
>>
Is there a special kind of tripod that I need to hold my flash? Will any normal camera tripod do?
>>
why does my peepee come out yellow?
>>
>>2914496
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=983557&gclid=CMmvo5ir684CFRJZhgodIOsMwQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051678402%2C&Q=&A=details

You can probably find them cheaper somewhere else.

>>2914501
Because you need to shake it more so it will come out a different color
>>
If the distance on my lens' focus scale says 1 meter. From where is that distance measured? The mount? The end of the lens?
>>
>>2914260
There have been some detailed explanations on this, but it depends on the sensor of your camera. For instance, older Canon cameras like the 5D2 benefited greatly from being shot at optimal exposure, while newer systems using Sony sensors can be safely shot at ISO100, pushed four stops, and you'll get almost the same result as if you had shot at ISO1600 in the first place.

Video is a different ball game because of the compressed signal. You really want to nail exposure because it will look like shit if you try to correct it too much in post, save your latitude for grading. Even if you mod a camera to shoot RAW video, you still won't have as much leeway as with a photo.
>>
>>2914523
From the sensor plane. Most cameras should have a Ф symbol somewhere on the body that signifies where the sensor is located along the z-axis (back to front depth), all focus distances are measured from that point.
>>
>>2914525
oh nice. thanks
>>
Why can't I connect my phone to the PC with a shitty USB cable?
It charges well but when it comes to MTP connection to transfer files only the OEM (samshit, moto) white short cables seem to work.
What's the difference? Does length of the cable play into this?
>>
>>2914387
You're missing the unspoken implication that there isn't a hard and fast hierarchy like you stated here:
>>2914357
>lighting > aperture > shutter speed > ISO > post-adjustment

Like if my intention is to control motion blur in natural light, my top factor becomes shutter speed. I can't control the lighting beyond trying to capture when the subject is in the best possible light during the conditions that I'm afforded. With respect to sharpness, I might find myself being forced into a more narrow aperture for a wider depth of field (to facilitate focusing because shooting at optimum sharpness settings for my lens/body combo doesn't matter if I can't get focus), which forces me into using a higher ISO, which still mightn't be enough and I might still have to do some raising in post.

With the exception of working in studio conditions where you do have control over everything, photography almost always involves some level of compromising something for something else. The goals of the image combined with both the aesthetics of the photographer and the limitations of the gear inform what compromises be made. Someone shooting a 5DmkIII will have different limitations and at times need to make different decisions because of these limitations than someone shooting a Fuji XT1 because of ISO invariance
http://improvephotography.com/34818/iso-invariance/
As an aside on that point, raising in post doesn't "add information". It's, especially in the case of ISOless systems, just manipulation of the information that's already there. ISOless systems have better encoding and lower floor detection rates which means that there's more actual signal present in these lower levels than in ISO variant systems.

>tl;dr The best choice is determined by what you want to make.
>>
>>2914530
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+connect+samsung+phone+via+usb
>>
File: MetalHandGrip_X-E2:s.jpg (52KB, 686x230px) Image search: [Google]
MetalHandGrip_X-E2:s.jpg
52KB, 686x230px
>>2913602
Yo dog... I gots dat X-E2s mayne... black.

Forreal, get dat big nigga hand grip extension.

Also... get a mafuckin skylight filter, nigga... jesus christ teh fuck u doin?

Why you still usin dat kit strap? Dat shit is scratchy as hell.

U betta be takin dat battery out when u ain't usin it...
>>
>>2914588
?? and now? why are you me telling all this I already know?

and for the record: my order of preference is the one to achieve the highest possible quality under ideal conditions. so it is a reference, not an obligation. ofc reality forces you to make compromises, but it helps to know which of them are a better and which a worse idea. otherwise you want e.g. shoot in a bluebox and need fast shutter speed, but instead of adding light you just raise ISO .. a possible compromise, but not a good idea tho. so don't tell me the mentioned order isn't a good thing to reference.

also, who da hell claimed that raising values in post would "add information"? I was saying the opposite, just the same you repeated.

overall you are preaching to the choir and I really don't get why you are doing this ...
>>
Do full frame lenses also work with APS-C cameras? For example, would a Canon EF lens work with an 80D (which is an APS-C camera)?
>>
>>2914748
yes, you can use larger format lenses on smaller sensors, as long as you can adapt the mount (larger flange diatance on shorter only).
>>
>>2914732
Calm down friend. It doesn't matter that *you* know it, what matters is that the person you were answering doesn't know it and you weren't clearly communicating it.

Yes, having an idea of what affects an image in what way is important, but it's also important to understand how much and why these things affect the image.
>>
I have run across vintage photos (1920s) where the main subject is shiny and stands out, while the background and other people are subdued, almost like they were scuffed over with sandpaper (best way I can describe it). Does anyone know what this method was called?
>>
>>2909817
Where can I learn basic photography terms and functions of a camera? Like I have no idea what exposure means
>>
Hey guys i have a probelm while filming with my Canon T5.

While taking picture it's perfectly fine, but when i'm taking videos, there's black dots on the screen and the video. I checked everything i could and i still don't know what causes this? I'm a bit new to DSLRs so maybe it's an easy fix but i don't know...
>>
>>2914928
did you try to google or youtube "basic photography tutorial" or "photography beginner tutorial" or the like?

also: community college.
>>
File: 1344828722749.jpg (3KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1344828722749.jpg
3KB, 126x126px
>>2910243
>>
File: ussr.png (3MB, 1329x751px) Image search: [Google]
ussr.png
3MB, 1329x751px
Is there a setting on digital camera so they won't pick up a lot of detail like pores and red spots on faces? I have a Nikon D3200.

Would getting a film camera be better? Are there any compact film cameras you would recommend?
>>
>>2915152
>Is there a setting on digital camera so they won't pick up a lot of detail like pores and red spots on faces? I have a Nikon D3200.
Only if you're shooting JPEGs, there's usually a sharpness setting, otherwise use post-processing and filters to smooth skin.

>Would getting a film camera be better?
Only if it's medium format or bigger.
>Are there any compact film cameras you would recommend?
Mamiya 7 II
>>
Where is a good place to get photos printed/framed/canvased/etc?

Also what software should I used for .raw?

I took some really nice underwater pics in Hawaii and want to display some in my house but I'm a total noob

Thanks in advance
>>
>>2915252
Walgreens.
>>
>>2909817
Where can I get a JPEGmini torrent?
>>
File: IMG_20160902_143341_581.jpg (188KB, 1227x1595px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160902_143341_581.jpg
188KB, 1227x1595px
I bought an old camera off of ebay and it came with two of pic related inside, one a bit heavier than the other. Is this a special kind of spool or placeholder for film?

Camera ModelParis
Camera SoftwareMediaTek Camera Application_
Equipment Makeulefone
Image Created2016:09:02 14:33:27
Color Space InformationsRGB
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
Focal Length3.50 mm
White BalanceAuto
Image Width2736
Light SourceOther
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Exposure ModeAuto
Image Height4864
FlashNo Flash
Exposure Bias0 EV
ISO Speed Rating579
Digital Zoom Ratio1.3
Exposure Time5001/250000 sec
>>
>>2915846
It's a reusable film canister, genius. The heavier one has film in it.
>>
>>2915848
There's no film spools included with the camera it seems so I assumed it was one.
Thanks, though.
>>
what does turning the thing on the lens of a camera do? one makes it zoom in but what's the other bit do? I can't tell?
>>
>>2916839
Depends on the lens.

Could be focus or aperture control.
>>
>>2916839
That's the focus ring, you use that if autofocus is disabled or you have a manual lens.
>>
Best P&S for under $750? I want it to be a DSLR replacement for when I am traveling but don't have room for a full DSLR body and lens(es).

I take a lot of photos in the forest with areas mixed in shade and sun, so it should have good dynamic range. Good quality video would also be nice, as it would be my primary video camera. Also, I'd rather have the lens be fast, than with long zoom, if it comes down to the two.

Suggestions?
>>
>>2916907
Sony RX100 mk3 ticks all your checkboxes.
There is also a mk4, but it's more expensive.

It's small enough to fit in your pocket, which makes it a nice addition to a DSLR.
But there might be better options if you go larger.
>>
I mostly shoot street and documentary photography. My documentary work focuses largely on street cultures and resistance movements. Can Anon recommend me some good photographers who shot similar to inspire me (ex. Boogie, Martha Cooper, etc.)?
>>
>>2916848
>aperture control
what is this?
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 500x332px
>>2916938
Some modern cameras lack these due to camera-controlled aperture, some have both with a green "A" on the lens whech changes it to auto.

Image Width500
Image Height332
>>
>>2916959
Oh alright! Thanks for letting me know.
>>
Why are old photos using Kodak Ectochrome so vivid, so clear, so real even though they were taken in 1940s?
>>
Never mind I figured out it was slide film ...
>>
File: IMG_00094c.jpg (358KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00094c.jpg
358KB, 1000x667px
Is there any point in viewing your photos at 100%? Does it tell you much about acceptable sharpness or image quality?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 450D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Elements 8.0 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:07:24 12:08:21
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePartial
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length90.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
is a used d7100 good for starting learning and practice? don't want to overspend for a first dslr but don't want it to be totally unusable either
>>
>>2917706

too much power for u
>>
What are some good places to exhibit your work?
I've got an instagram and a tumblr page.
What else do you use?
>>
>>2917706

D7100 is a great camera. Assuming the shutter count is low and it's a good price, go ahead. You can grow into it.

If you don't need to squeeze every last bit of detail out of your subject in shit light (like birding, for example) don't be afraid of older cameras like D300. There are a lot of them out there for very cheap thanks to the D500 release. Often you'll find low shutter counts for the D300s, which saw a lot of purchases for video use. They still take excellent quality photos, and are built to last.

Also don't forget to look for D90 and D7000. I'd avoid things like D3300, D5000, etc because you'll end up wanting to replace them as you advance. You'll want the extra wheel and top display. Also, they don't work with all lenses (no AF motor).
>>
whats a good way to reduce the size (in mb) of a photo without destroying the qual?

example: i have some of my photos saved on to my phone but can not post them as they are above the size limit
>>
>>2919146
just read the sticky properly, ignore me
>>
How do I calculate my shutter time for shooting star trails on iso 100 35mm film? I'll be in an area this weekend with almost no light pollution if that matters. To clarify, I want the actual trails on the stars and they would preferably be as long of trails as possible. Im also shooting black and white.
>>
File: screenshot.png (141KB, 1098x608px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
141KB, 1098x608px
is this a suitable buy for someone who wants a tripod that is sturdy and of at least mediocre quality? It doesn't need to be perfect just something that I could use in many situations and not have it restrict the quality of my photos (thats my job).
>>
>>2919821
The focal length matters the most. that being said, you won 't get much done with 100ISO film. Whatever your focal length is, divide that by 500, and that is, in seconds, how long you can expose without noticeable star trails.
>>
>>2919849
I'll be using a zoom at around 28mm focal length and my goal is to get star trails not eliminate them. I already knew about the 500 rule but that does the opposite of what I want.
>>
>>2919871
wow I barely read your post. Hopefully your camera has a bulb mode, but I'd say you'd be fine with an hour or more.
>>
File: e45.png (47KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
e45.png
47KB, 1400x1000px
Please don't murder me if this is the wrong board but can you help me on how to fill a template such as this one in Photoshop or some other tool?
>>
>>2919824
That looks pretty terrible, at least bump the budget up to $250 and get an 055.
>>
>>2914530
>using android

some micro usb cables are so cheap they don't include the whole set of pins, just the ones required for charging
>>
When you print or enlarge stuff, where do you buy frames? Do you always get matted ones?

I can't find any around me with a 2:3 ratio
>>
>>2920163
2:3 is not the standard for larger printing unfortunately, the 4:5 ratio is what everyone uses. You can find 8x12 frames in some photo/frame shops, the one I work in often carries them. The other option is to get a larger frame in a different format and and then use a matte.
>>
>>2920194
I guess I'll try for 8x12's then

I wanted bigger but that required a matte and that adds another layer of complications, getting a frame and then a matte that fits it but with the appropriate space inside
>>
>>2920196
The easiest thing to do is ask for an 8x12 print, get an 11x14 frame, and then have them cut a 11x14 matte with an 8x12 window. Otherwise just order whatever 8x12 frame you like online.
>>
>>2920201
that seems the best choice

Are there any good sites for mattes, or do people have to get this stuff made custom at shops?

I'm surprised that the 2:3 ratio is so underused for frames. Even on big sites like Tesco that have 800 frames
>>
>>2919944
This

055 Is great, at least in my experience with the alu version
>>
shooting in raw format, what is an apporpriate sized micro sd memory card to get if i want be able to take hundreds of photos without offloading them onto a computer?
>>
File: 928379592.jpg (4MB, 3219x2041px) Image search: [Google]
928379592.jpg
4MB, 3219x2041px
Are there any resizing programs that will let me say:

If <Image> is portrait then resize width to 1080p and keep aspect ratio

If <Image> is landscape then resize width relative to 1920 and keep aspect ratio

I have a bunch of "4K" photos that my dad scanned in somehow (they were .tiff as well), but the images are old as shit and half of them are out of focus.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image Width3219
Image Height2041
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUnknown
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2016:09:09 15:24:34
Image Width3219
Image Height2041
Unique Image IDDEE68FE356F845F2947E995665F093C6
>>
Ok, I feel really dumb asking this, but...

I come from a video background and only recently started getting into stills.

Would shooting video on a medium format camera be any different than shooting on a typical 35mm equivalent?
>>
>>2920604
Well, only two MFD cameras actually shoot video, the Pentax 645Z (which I own) and the Leica S 007.
The 645Z really only has video as a "why not?" feature, as it's absolutely terrible, the real reason live view is there is for the sweet 16x magnification you get for precision focusing.
The S 007 does 4K and is properly equipped for everything you need video-wise, but it uses 1:1 pixel mapping in 4K, so you'll get about the same "physical" frame size as if you were just shooting a 35mm camera in the first place. At least it's usable though.

As a stills camera, the 645Z has the better sensor and more features all around, like a tilt-screen and dedicated mirror lockup knob. You get access to a whole array of legacy film lenses you can nab for really low prices, or some really amazing new lenses like the 28-45mm.

The S 007 is faster and more responsive, but minimal in every aspect, as Leica cameras tend to be, and 50% more expensive. All the native lenses are also absurdly expensive, but are simply amazing in both sharpness and rendering quality. Its very easy to adapt other medium format lenses to the S, and some adapters even offer full electronic control, but the real reason to own this camera is for the S lenses.
>>
>>2920620

Oh I got it now, cheers for clearing that up for me.
>>
>>2920533
Lightroom allows you to set the length of the longest side on export. basically what you're asking for.
>>
>>2920664

I think in this circumstance he would want shortest side.
>>
I have a D3100, and was looking at whether or not I should upgrade.

Problem is, I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for in a camera, which makes me think I should stay with the D3100 for a while longer so I'm not just spending money for the sakes of spending money.

Thoughts / advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>2920664
>>2920683
Thanks, longest side was what I was looking for.
Didn't even think to try lightroom for some reason, I was trying to set up a photoshop batch.

I ended up finding an online utility that had a longest side option and didn't require uploading the images.

https://bulkresizephotos.com/
>>
I've been looking for an image for a while but cannot find it, I think it's a fairly famous self portrait of a photographer in a mirror in what looks like a studio and a nude model in front of him but she's out of focus, there's also another model closer to the mirror and possibly in focus. Does anybody have it? I know i'll kick myself when I see who it's by, but google turns up FA
>>
I've only been into photography for like 2 years, but love it, though I feel like I'm shit. I got a 5dMark3 for free by a friend because they're going to be disabled. I feel like shit for showing my pictures to someone with them knowing I use a 5dM3, even though I'm not good at photography. How do I deal with this dilemma
>>
>>2920867

git gud
>>
>>2920760

helmut newton
>>
>>2920867
First of all >>2920887
Second of all, there are rich Arab princes with $40,000 Phase One cameras as their hobby gear and don't produce anything of value, so remember that no matter how good or dumb you think you are, there is always someone better or dumber than you.
Feeling sorry for having gear that you think is too good for you is a shitty excuse, show your stuff and take critique, or you'll remain a beta faggot.
>>
I own Nikon 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 primes. The 50 is slightly shorter, physically. I'd expect the opposite given their focal lengths. What's going on?
>>
>>2921051
Focal length is measured from the sensor, so 28mm would put the focal point inside of the camera?? The fact is that wide-angle lenses have to reproject the light gathered by the front elements in a way so as to clear the mirror box, so you have both wide and telephoto components in the same lens; a more sophisticated way of putting a wide-angle conversion lens in front of a normal prime basically.
>>
What is a normal focal length? It should be 43mm full frame equivalent but AFAIK you can't buy 43mm prime lens. Why is that? 35mm and 50mm are almost the same distance away from 43 but I hear some people say 50 is the normal and other 35.

Also does anyone have some good examples of compression and extension effect that you get when moving away from normal focal point? I can tell when looking at the pictures that they look "weird" and I recognize wide and tele lenses but somehow I can't put my finger on what it is making them "weird".
>>
>>2912045
why not practice with one of your close friends then after you're not a total noob ask her
>>
>>2919928
try GIMP, it's free
>>
The lcd screen on my Ricoh gr 2 has 2 white pixels only in live view mode , but not when I look through photos I've taken on the lcd screen or any other menus. Why is this ?
>>
Fuck
But that boards too shit for this pure, harmless, comfy goodness
Could I post it to /trash/ instead? Would that work out
>>
If I have a 1.6 crop sensor, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm fast primes, would I be better off buying a new FF body instead of a fast 24mm and 85mm?

Thinking of buying these two lenses but I could buy a ff body for the same price.
>>
If I want to get into photography as an art form, as a mere viewer, who are the essential artists to check out? Who are/were the pioneers/forefathers of it? Is photography categorized into genres like music or literature or whatever?
>>
>>2921654
will tell you what I know. Yes there is genres :

Wildlife photography : things you would see on national geographic documentaries, for example, close up of pumas

Macro photography : Photo of insect taking all the frame, for example.

Sport photography : the name speaks for itself. You need some expensive gear to do some shots most of the time.

Landscape photography : you must have guessed what it is

Astrophotography : sort of landscape photography, centered on the sky and its stars/galaxies etc..

Street photography : candid photos, showing everyday life.

Portrait photos

Fashion photography (hell this one is shitty)

Products/food/architectural photography

Photojournalism

and many more, i guess
>>
>>2921654
Well, to start with you really want to look into early photographs (pre-1920's) as those represented the golden age of photography as an art form. I have a book called Photography: The Masters by Scala that's a fairly good primer on such works, and of course you should also perhaps get books on specific photographers like Edward Steichen or whoever you think fits your tastes.

If you're thinking of getting into photography yourself, think about the type you want to specialize in as your gear may vary widely depending on what you want to do. Still subjects in a studio simply need a lot of resolution, while landscapes also tack on dynamic range as something to worry about, and architecture tacks on tilting and shifting on top of that. Anything involving low light needs good high-ISO performance, but if it's also with moving subjects, then you're looking at a camera that's fast as well, and if it's also far away than get ready to open a second mortgage.
>>
>>2921654
http://photo.net/history/timeline
The names within here are a few big wigs/ important people for various reasons. Look at their work, and google should recommend similar people.

My favourite photographers are a lot coming from the Dusseldorf school (have a google for some names) and documentary guys like Alec Soth.

/p/ isn't a great place to ask about this kind of stuff, because most of the denizens here care more about gear and drama than actual photos (just look at the catalog for example).

Would recommend checking out some photography documentaries, they got me interested in a lot of different artists and styles when I was cutting my teeth. A few off the bat:
13 Lessons in Life with Saul Leiter
Finding Vivian Maier
Manufactured Landscapes
>>
My fx camera (D750) came with a dx 35mm and an fx 50mm.

Isn't that a bit redundant?
>>
What is light metering? Can you link any tutorials about it?
>>
>>2921716

yes
>>
>>2921750
Great.
>>
Not a stupid question or anything but just a very obvious observation: 35mm is DEFINITELY not wide enough for nightclub photography.

Gave my Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART a whirl at work but immediately switched back to my Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 II. I just wanted some bokehliciousness and dayum shame didn't bring my Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC :(

Might get a 12mm or so f/2.8 prime now though.
>>
>>2921933

Nah, 35mm is basically wide normal.

12mm is meme tier, though.
>>
File: Prince_Gong.jpg (2MB, 2278x3301px) Image search: [Google]
Prince_Gong.jpg
2MB, 2278x3301px
What are the best websites to view lots of photographs by less famous but still important artists? Wikipedia rarely has more than a few for most artists mentioned in, for example, this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width4080
Image Height5689
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2014:01:18 13:53:32
Image Width2278
Image Height3301
>>
File: Puzzle_1473543971957.jpg (414KB, 704x1901px) Image search: [Google]
Puzzle_1473543971957.jpg
414KB, 704x1901px
What lens mount is this?
>>
>>2921935
Not wide enough brah.
>>
>>2922063
Canon FD.
>>
>>2922063
Canon FD mount, which they used from 1971-1992, although the EF mount was already introduced by 87.

Honesty the shittest mount you could have gotten this lens in, because it's got one of the shortest flange distances of any SLR at 42mm, meaning you can only reasonably adapt this onto mirrorless cameras.
>>
>>2922071
>you can only reasonably adapt this onto mirrorless cameras.
I was planning on doing this

I found the lens at my grandmothers house, since she had a bunch of old film lenses and im using them on my g5k. Ill probably get an adapter for this one to then.
>>
>>2922054

please respond
>>
>>2909817
does anyone know if the current nikon 50mm 1.8 works wither older nikon models like the fm2?
>>
What should shutter count be for new digital camera right out of the box?
>>
I am torn by a deep desire to be an entitled "muh rights" asshole street photographer who doesn't need to interact with his subjects except to offer a smile and a 'thank you' and by the overwhelming opinion that I've read online that a good photographer should engage his subjects with conversation and out-goingness to earn their trust. The source of my anxiety stems from me coming to agree with the latter opinion, despite retaining my desire to be the former.

My stupid question to this thread is: do you guys have any advice to dealing with this existential crisis?
>>
>>2922341
I think you might have social anxiety, find it difficult to talk to strangers etc. work on that first?
>>
>>2922341
one is advice for a street photog, in the moment type shooting
one is more advice for candid, more directed type shooting

crisis averted
>>
Hey /p/ any advice on light photography? I'll do it in our photography class.
>>
I have a Godox DE300 flash, which is 220v marked, and worked on Aus 240v power.

I'm now in Tokyo and wondering if this will work on the 100v local power.

As they advertise 100v and 110v versions online I've seen, so I am wondering if it's just switching power inside the unit, and they just label them differently rather than bothering to produce different versions.
>>
Do airlines hassle you got necking a DSLR rather than putting in a bag? Planning to carry-on my entire camera kit (about 20lbs in lenses alone) as well as my laptop and accessories (another 4lbs on top). The camera is a Canon EOS 6D with a 24-70mm f/2.8 (another 4lbs extra?)

Flying economy obviously as business/first class would allow me to carry-on more stuff...
>>
>>2922605
low cost carriers might fuck you up
>>
>>2922606
It's a $326 return flight to Tokyo, so yeah pretty low-cost. Just read up on the airline carry-on rules and I have a 15lbs limit with two bags :(

Hopefully they'll allow me to carry my camera outside the bag
>>
How can one add white borders to a picture? Do you create a photoshop image bigger that your picture and add your picture on the middle?
>>
>>2922651
Open the Image -> Canvas size menu, make the canvas bigger than your current image size and set color to white or whatever, done.
>>
>>2922659
Thank you
>>
>>2922610
post results
>>
>>2922651

lol don't
>>
Has anyone taken any continuing education classes for photography at a college? How do you filter out classes that you know are going to be a waste of money from the ones that you think you'll actually learn a lot from and actually challenge you to improve yourself? What's your experiences with classes in general.
>>
>>2922938
Go talk to the faculty
>>
>>2922071
>mirrorless cameras.
you make it sound like they're a bad thing
>>
How do you know what's the right iso and shutter speed for the situation?
>>
>>2923177
Still/stationary subject = slow shutter speed, low ISO
Moving/sports subject = high shutter speed, higher ISO

And of course also depends on what aperture you choose.
>>
>>2923190
Thanks anon, but what about the lighting? How do I know what's the right settings if the subject is too dark, bright etc. Do you just adjust the settings until you get the right one?
>>
https://youtu.be/jJkuCzgg7fo

I fucking love the colours in this video and would like to have somthing alike for photos

Is it possible to achieve them without editing software, just with a camera/specific lense?
>>
I want to do a series of contact type prints where I put objects on the paper and expose it. I need to do 5 or 6 frames and I want it to tell some kind of story but I'm completely drawing a blank on what to use for it. It needs to be small because paper is expensive and im using half sheets of 8 1/2 x 11
>>
>>2923191
you usually have a small light meter thingie on your dslr that tells you if youre over or underexposing. it varies if it measures the overall brightness of your picture, or just takes a sample from the center, you can usually change this in your settings..
>>
>>2923290
Huh, I see. I'll try looking for it. Thanks babe.
>>
File: Canon_EOS_1300D_cover_ndtv.jpg (81KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Canon_EOS_1300D_cover_ndtv.jpg
81KB, 800x600px
Canon EOS 1300D.

Is it an okay-ish pick for a beginner who is only starting to learn, to improve and have it for general use?

I am in tight budget and by no means I am not looking for something amazing.

Just got a chance to get brand new one for reasonable price.
>>
Is there any reason to not get one of those wifi capable sd cards if you've got a camera that lacks wifi?
>>
File: file.png (3MB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 1600x1066px
How do you make everything so crispy clear? I want to take shots like this one, like everything is just so CLEAR.
>>
>>2923921
Shoot in good light?
Don't shoot hand-held?
Don't use a shit camera/lens?
That image isn't what I'd call "crispy clear" anyway.
>>
>>2923942
Thanks cutie pie.
>>
>>2909817
I'm a newbie with camooras and i'm about to drop my money on a Sony A6000 because phone cameras a shit, also small digital cameras a shit and featurewise cheaper cameras don't look compelling enough.
Not looking for a DSLR because of portability issues.
Any tips for a total newbie with his rooty tooty point-and-shooty?
Any other alternatives?
Should i off myself?
>>
>>2923969
>Any tips for a total newbie
Get a DSLR. Don't fall for the mirrorless meme.
>>
>>2923231

No, dingus. It's all color grading.
>>
File: 94271_550x814.jpg (77KB, 550x814px) Image search: [Google]
94271_550x814.jpg
77KB, 550x814px
How close can you get to this pic with post processing?

>inb4 black point curves and direct flash

Is there a good way to achieve high contrast without fucking up the colors?

>inb4 curves on luminosity

When I try to go for bright skin tones I get weird colors at for example the hairline. It will turn orange and it is ugly.

Film the only option? Not really a great option for nightlife photography. Maybe a Fuji? Or
R I C O H?
I
C
O
H?
>>
>>2923921
>muh in focus pictures
Kys
>>
>>2920727
Why would you upgrade if you aren't having any problems with it? If you really feel the driving, materialist desire to acquire stuff, then buy a couple of nice lenses or something.
>>
File: yea.jpg (996KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
yea.jpg
996KB, 1440x960px
>>2924255
Well I tried, any tips?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image Created2016:09:14 00:42:42
Image Width1440
Image Height960
>>
>>2923969
Taking pictures without an optical viewfinder is cancer
>>
>>2924298
I use an Stofen Omni-Bounce diffuser on my Speedlite angled at 45°. Direct flash is too harsh especially in a dark environment.

Tighter and portrait crop would be a start. Then, yes use curves to soften up the highlights and crush the blacks. Also, big tip for party or nightclub photography is to use a more aggressive form of noise reduction (preferably in post). It'll dull out some of their imperfections (acne, wrinkles etc.).
>>
I have been a hobby photographer for a while, and I am decent at it. People that don't know about photography really like my stuff. It's not very technical though.

I want to move on and start doing modeling photography. What are some resources I can look at for dealing with a live person so it will seem I have some clue what I'm doing with the girl?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (96KB, 1088x912px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
96KB, 1088x912px
I just bough a nikon nikkormat EL off ebay and I was wondering if pic related would fit on it, I'm trying to get into photography so I know basically nothing. I can't find anything that directly mentions my camera at least for shutter cables. Link also related http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Genuine-Nikon-AR-2-shutter-release-cable-/322255874157?hash=item4b07f2686d:g:xD4AAOSwMgdX0dGU
>>
>>2912913
Why is MFT supposed to be dead
>>
>>2924260
>muh autism
Go fuck yourself cause no one else wants to.
>>
What is a good first camera.
>>
>>2924812
Canon T2i
>>
>>2924856
reasons? just being catious
>>
File: huh.jpg (124KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
124KB, 1200x800px
Playing with a Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Is the blur around the white masks just from DoF at a low f-stop? It's not CA? I'm super new to this

Camera ModelNIKON D7100
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Color Filter Array Pattern966
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:09:14 18:19:33
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias-1.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width1200
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Is there 4:3 film?
>>
>>2925310
It's CA. The purple and green fringing of high-contrast areas are before and after the in focus plane are typical of low to mid range lenses at fast apertures. Even some of the ultra fast lenses also suffer from some form of CA.

Solutions; don't be a Bokehwhore (stop down for optimal optical performance) and/or enable in-body CA reduction. You can also fix these fringing in post but that takes time and any form of digital CA reduction will lessen overall image sharpness.
>>
>>2925358
Okay, thanks. That's super helpful. I noticed it wasn't as bad when I stepped down. I guess I'm a bit disappointed cause I expected optimal performance at 1.8 but reading reviews I see that's not the case. 2.8 or higher seem to work much better. What would be a safe f-stop to stick at? 2.5? 2.8? I should play with it more. Would I only go down to 1.8 when I absolutely need the light/bokeh?
>>
File: focus.jpg (91KB, 872x582px) Image search: [Google]
focus.jpg
91KB, 872x582px
>>2925358
>>2925368
I also noticed that autofocus wasn't 100%. Is that also from being at a low f-stop? Or the lens just being stupid
Left is auto at 1.8, right is manual focus at 2.8

Camera ModelNIKON D7100
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Color Filter Array Pattern1034
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:09:14 19:45:51
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating360
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width872
Image Height582
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2925368
>>2925377
All lenses perform optically the best stopped down. Typically at f/5.6 or f/8, you'll get optimal sharpness and detail with your in focus subject.

Only a few and more expensive lenses will be explicitly be sharp wide open, the most affordable of them all being the most recent of Sigma ART prime lenses. At $750 a pop or more though, they aren't your typical poorfag lenses.
>>
>>2925377
Might want to take some time doing some focus micro adjustments via the in body settings.
>>
>>2925388
>>2925391
Ok, so don't be a bokehwhore and take a look at CA and focus settings. Thanks a lot!
>>
>>2915821
trial version lets you do 20 pictures a day for free
>>
What's the maximal resolution you can scan medium format film, in regard to increasing quality?
>>
File: wz1iCfz.jpg (205KB, 1142x969px) Image search: [Google]
wz1iCfz.jpg
205KB, 1142x969px
How do i get colors like this? I have fuji x-t1 so i have alot of film simulations, or can i do something like this in post process?
>>
>>2925829
i generally have in mind this a bit flushed out of colors look of film
>>
>>2924703
Thx fampai
>>
I currently own a Canon 550d. My first camera.

Friend keeps telling me to upgrade.
Why should I upgrade? What am I missing out on?
>>
>>2925545
Thanks lad!
>>
>>2925829
lower saturation?
>>
>>2926268
The fact that you don't know why you need to upgrade right now is reason not to upgrade.
Depending on the type of photography that you do, some cameras and lenses are more optimized to perform to give you exactly the type of quality and effect you are going after. You don't need to invest in expensive upgrades if you are still starting out. Focus more on your technical skills and understanding of the medium. Once you've gained the necessary experiences, you'll slowly come to a realization that you'll need to expand your toolset; and rather than asking why you should upgrade, you'll ask, what equipment can benefit me to achieve x or y.
>>
/diy/ here, and a noob in the photography realm. Is it possible to make your own tripod? I mean, I know it's possible, but what do I avoid, and what do I strive for? My gut tells me there are things to consider that I'm not even aware of yet. Enlighten me? I have googled this, and vibration reduction comes up a lot. Is this a materials issue only, or is there a best construction method to achieve this? Sorry if this is too involved for a stupid questions thread, I don't want to prune a thread for a stupid question though.
>>
>>2927229
Well, wooden tripds are a thing, for sure. Yoiu could Google "Berlebach" - maybe it will help you get some ideas on how to tackle the issue?
>>
>>2927244
Thank you very much! Gotta work on my Googlefu... Those look very doable for me. Would I be correct in assuming these are considered cool for nostalgia, but probably medium level for functionality, and their biggest drawback is weight, followed by speed of shot setup?
>>
>>2927257
well, the weight is probably the biggest issue, but in astudio setting for example that is not a primary concern.

Wood does have an advantage over the basic Aluminium when it comes to vibration damping, and is less suspectible to compression pressure than carbon, so it's not all "worst of all worlds".

But it is niche, because weight is so often a concern, and something like a Berlebach isn't really any cheaper than stuff made from more contempory materials (so yes, there is also the nostalgia factor for that audience).
>>
>>2927285
>vibration damping
Not /diy/ guy but I did an image search for Berlebach. Nearly all the things attached to the tripods were big heavy refracting telescopes.

I had read about the pros and cons for aluminium and carbon fibre in telescope tubes (thermal stability vs rigidity). If I ever update my old eq5 mount I'll certainly look into a wooden tripod. Not any time soon unfortunately.

Thanks anon.
>>
I've only used film for ''serious'' purposes until now. I'm looking for a decent digital camera that I can buy second hand. What would be good options? What are the main things to look (out) for? Thanks in advance
>>
>>2927464
I should mention that I have a collection of OM series lenses and I've read they can be used with Olympus digital cameras when an adapter is used. According to Olympus, this will however result in unsharpness of the edges and vignetting. Does anyone have experience with this? I'd like to stay within the same lens system, for obvious financial reasons.
>>
File: x talks cameras.png (39KB, 1350x626px) Image search: [Google]
x talks cameras.png
39KB, 1350x626px
I just saw this on /x/

It got me thinking what others must think of photography
while not a question, it raises questions
>>
>>2927523
Idk, I think non-photographers can be divided into those with too little respect for photography ("lol it's just pressing a button, the camera does all the work") and those with a bit too much ("Photographers spend hours focusing their lens")
>>
File: ._..png (231KB, 291x345px) Image search: [Google]
._..png
231KB, 291x345px
How dangerous is it to bring my Canon EOS 6D and Tamron 24-70mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 VC USD lenses to the beach with mild winds?

I can smell the sea salt in the air so there must be mist/spray right?

How do I deal with it to make sure I don't get Sony-a7-level corrosion?
>>
>>2927523
>>2927546
Amy from Vintage Space explains this is much more greater and scientific detail; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ksUQfEzMoM

tl;dw;

They were using film. The moon is a very VERY bring subject (essentially a giant reflective mirror for sunlight/try focusing at the moon with a DSLR, tell me if you can see the stars without editing).

Essentially, the exposure was set to handle the moon's brightness/extreme levels of exposures. Therefore, the film must had very low ISO AND very fast shutter speeds, which means pretty moon pictures and unfortunately, no stars.
>>
>>2927557

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 600D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.8
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2012:11:14 16:30:05
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.82 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length40.00 mm
Image Width610
Image Height407
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
File: 20160918_130500.jpg (2MB, 2620x1491px) Image search: [Google]
20160918_130500.jpg
2MB, 2620x1491px
Do you like this photo? It's one of my first tries with a new DSC someone mentioned in this post, Thanks man! (Used simple picasa adjustments for the highlights)

Camera ModelSM-G903F
Equipment Makesamsung
Image Created2016:09:18 13:05:00
Image OrientationUnknown
FlashNo Flash
ISO Speed Rating40
F-Numberf/1.9
Focal Length3.70 mm
Exposure Bias0 EV
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Time1/50 sec
>>
>>2927647
Fuck off lying nigga
>>
Any suggestions for cheap steadycams? Im a begginer and really want just to try some things at the moment rather than go balls deep and spend a good amount of money.
>>
Simple quick question lads: DX vs FX. I get the image circle made by DX lenses are smaller, but is it simply a smaller version of the same image or is the field of view smaller?
>>
>>2928717

Field of view for a 17mm dx lens is the same as a 17mm FX lens, but the DX lens doesn't project a large enough image circle to cover the same amount of area an FX lens can. So using the 17mm dx lens is like using a 17mm fx lens, but the edges and corners are all black.
>>
>>2928726
Ok so if I wanna use an FX lens on a DX body, I have to apply the crop factor to the focal length, but the field of view will still be the same?
>>
>>2928729

Yeah, you have to apply the crop factor.

Focal length is focal length. The camera it's mounted to doesn't change that. The only reason you can't use DX lenses on FX cameras is because they don't project a large enough image circle to cover the frame.
>>
a
>>
File: dust.jpg (410KB, 1000x598px) Image search: [Google]
dust.jpg
410KB, 1000x598px
Going to be going to an off roading race track this weekend and was planning to take my canon f2.8 70-200 lens until my friend says it's pretty dusty. It that something i should be concerned about or should i take the lens anyways?

>>
>>2931914
You could get dust in interior lens assemblies which'll be a royal pain to get out (at worst, you'll have to send it to get it cleaned professionally), but these will mainly only be visible at tighter apertures and did you buy that lens to use it or just have it as a conversation piece?
>>
>>2931915
>did you buy that lens to use it or just have it as a conversation piece?
That's how i felt when he said it but as i thought about it i didn't want something to ruin a $2k lens, don't even have a uv filter for it but i don't expect dust to scratch it or cause any lasting damage. How much is pro cleaning usually.
>>
I want to get into film photography. Is it dumb to jump right to medium format? Can I get that shit developed at Walgreens, or do I have to send it off to someplace special?

I'm thinking about the Pentax 645
>>
>>2931937
Jumping straight in with 645 is a great idea. It can give you far more than 35mm in terms of things you can't really do with digital (or that are very hard / expensive).
>>
>>2931956
Thank you. What kind of stuff can I do? And do I have to bring it to a special place to get it developed?
>>
>>2931918
>That's how i felt when he said it but as i thought about it i didn't want something to ruin a $2k lens,
You won't ruin a lens with normal dust. Only the microfine shit like the colorbombs used in color runs will be cost prohibitive to clean out even if it gets in there enough to be a problem in the first place. If it gets bad enough, usually it's less than $200 for a cleaning, and even then it takes a LOT of dust to affect images unless you're shooting at like f/22 all the time.

Seriously, USE YOUR GEAR.
>>
>>2931962
You can do being patrician tier and taking borkey whoring to the next level. US Anons can help know where to develop it...
>>
>>2931962
>develop
Start off with black and white and do it yourself.
(Color is still pretty easy to develop, but not as forgiving when it comes to temperature, and it's generally more spendy to purchase than b&w). You'll need to drop around $100 extra bucks to get a decent setup plus a bunch of chems, but they'll last you a really long time and massively pay for themselves.
>>
>>2931982
Thanks for the info
>>
File: download.jpg (4KB, 188x182px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 188x182px
Is there any reason to take off you lens and cap your camera body and lens when you're storing them, say for whenever youre just not using it? Or is lens on camera for long periods of time fine
>>
>>2932058
The only reason i could think would be if you're lens+body doesn't fit into a case well.
>>
Why does /p/ hate lens hoods and camera straps?
>>
>>2931962
I go to a small but very useful camera store near my house that can do everything.

If you cant find a place like that where you live look up places you can mail in film and get back dev'd film with good scans a few days later. Kind of a pain in the ass but since it isnt 1985 anymore it may be your only option.

As someone whos hand dev'd plenty of black and white rolls I wouldnt want to fuck with color. Mostly because I dont have room for all that shit atm
>>
>>2932091
We dont, we just hate people who treat them like memes. Hoods are good for protecting your lens and eliminating weird glare.

Anyone who buys fancy straps is a fashion victim.
>>
Poorfag here, what version of photoshop is free?

I've been googling CS free and all it gives me is counter strike and mobile news.

Adobe's website isnt much help either.
Frustrating.
>>
File: IMG_20160924_152401.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_152401.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
Father in-law is letting me borrow one of his cameras while we're visiting them. I've only ever had a mobile device camera. Using the "intelligent auto" blows every picture I've ever taken out of the water. Wife and I are now on a road trip west and the night sky is phenomenal. It literally looks like one of those photographs where you can see the milky way. I can't for the life of me figure out how to capture it though. Any help?
Camera is an NEX-5N and the lens says Sonnar E 1,8/24 ZA by Carl Zeiss.

I might have to pick up a "real" camera when I get back home.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
22KB, 480x360px
Why is m43 considered so bad? I have an aps-c canon but recently saw the new Olympus E-M1 Mark II announcement. It seems really solid. up to 6 stops of image stabilization, 20 megapixels, high levels of waterproof, etc, plus great video capability. It seems like the whole package aside from the smaller sensor size.

What kind of disappointments would I face if I switched systems?
>>
>>2933103
Nevermind. Sort of figured it out.
>>
File: 1529_D3300_left.png (326KB, 700x595px) Image search: [Google]
1529_D3300_left.png
326KB, 700x595px
Is Nikon D3300 is a good DSLR for a beginner? I mean the price tag is very appealing and it has nice stats compared to some other DSLR's, even more expensive ones. Is there anything I should know? Would you recommend it to a beginner?
Can't buy anything full frame because I'd have to wagecuck for a few years where I live in, and I don't think I need a full frame DSLR as a beginner.
>>
>>2933350
it's pretty well regarded as one of the two or three cameras everyone recommends as a first DSLR, I'd say you can't go wrong
>>
File: 1474495743782.jpg (472KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474495743782.jpg
472KB, 1920x1080px
Where do you guys torrent from?

I need Adobe Premiere for Mac but all my usual torrent sources have been shut down.

Thank you in advance if you can help, absolute life-saver.
>>
>>2934913

NEW THREAD
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.