[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amateur Photography- For the Phones?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: ss62.jpg (152KB, 980x551px) Image search: [Google]
ss62.jpg
152KB, 980x551px
Question: With the advent of smartphones with high-resolution cameras, is there even a point to point-and-shoot cameras? Should beginners just stick to phone cameras, provided they have a newer phone?
Pic related, I took a bunch of photos of a deodorant stick I found on the windowsill of a library. This is the only one I really like, looking back on them all. I had like 12 in total.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:08:20 14:27:21
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width980
Image Height551
>>
>>2907192
Ah, sorry, first time posting here. Since the EXIF data is on display, I might as well say that I messed with the levels just a smidge.
>>
File: ss152.jpg (157KB, 980x551px) Image search: [Google]
ss152.jpg
157KB, 980x551px
>>2907193
I'll post more deodorant pics I guess
This one is alright I guess. Not too big a fan. I feel like I've fucked up some framing rule, but I know jack shit about photography so I don't know.
I messed with the curves a bit in this one.
>>
File: ss172.jpg (78KB, 980x551px) Image search: [Google]
ss172.jpg
78KB, 980x551px
>>2907197
I had to blur the shit out of the left side of this one because there was a sign in the background with the address of the library
>>
>>2907192
What am I doing here
>>
>>2907200
Looking at some neat deodorant pics at the very least.
>>
>>2907201
>neat
by what fucking standard
>>
>>2907219
A bullshit one? I don't know! I just want some people to discuss the question that I raised.
>>
>>2907192
If you had lurked some more:
When people ask "what cheap camera to buy" we always say "use your phone".

But if you really want to get into photography without spending $500+ you should buy a second hand DSLR.
No modern phone or P&S can even come close to a 10 year old entry level DSLR.
>>
>>2907198
By comparison:

With a proper camera you could have selected a wide aperture and have the background nicely blurred right out of camera.
>>
File: shit stick.jpg (401KB, 758x499px) Image search: [Google]
shit stick.jpg
401KB, 758x499px
a phone camera can be decent in good lighting within a certain range of distance and if you hold the camera pretty still

you will never get the versatility if a dslr to shoot in any given scenario

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width980
Image Height551
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:08:21 01:09:46
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width758
Image Height499
>>
>>2907197
This picture has some pretty eery vibe. Almost like the deodoeant stick is watching me from the windowsill.
>>
File: ss15post3.jpg (117KB, 980x621px) Image search: [Google]
ss15post3.jpg
117KB, 980x621px
>>2907393
I fucced with that one in photoshop
>>
File: LRM_EXPORT_20160819_021626.jpg (5MB, 4191x2358px) Image search: [Google]
LRM_EXPORT_20160819_021626.jpg
5MB, 4191x2358px
Thoughts? Took this with my G4, didn't edit it
>>
I undoubtedly prefer buttons and dials to menu surfing, but compact point-and-shoots failed to differentiate themselves in that way so it really made them pointless.
>>
>>2907192
Ok, Since you are wanting to get into this and proved to us that shooting anything is not below you, for fucks sake you shot deodorant on a library with a iphone, I will answer anyquestions you might have. Your question is kind of a interesting one in the World of photos now. Smartphones lack alot of features that the dslr/mirrorless bodies have. The main 4 I can pick out are the following.
1. Actual zoom
Nothing beats being able to zoom to get the framing you want. "pinch to zoom" i just cropping and not actually zooming. Look up focal lengths effects on portraits to understand better
2. Fstop control
This is pretty important, It gives you the ability to shoot in various conditions and adjust the depth of field vs the fixed depth your phones will provide.
3. RAW
this used to be a thing and still kind of is. Shooting raw allows more creative versatility in editing after the shot. Also allows you to save shots that might have been shot wrong.

4. Its more professional than a cellphone
I am a professional photographer, who specializes in product work. My website ethanmerbaum.com features shots taken with a rx100 a sony point and shoot. Its not about the body, its the technique. You need a minimum amount of features. Hell the rx100 is good enough for Terry Richardson. If you can get a full manual mode and raw you are set. I carry my rx100 with me everywhere. Good conversation piece aside, I also use it to shoot pretty much anytime i'm not in a need for studio lighting.

and for the second part of your question. If you want to truley enjoy the art of photography, you need a p/s or a DSLR.

If you want to just capture memories or make notation photos. stick with an smart phone.
>>
>>2908230
>5MB
resize you fucking faggot cocksucker. read the goddamn rules motherfucker
>>
>>2908366
I'll add ergonomics

Even a point and shoot camera is a huge improvement over a phone IMO, if only for a shutter button. Any type of viewfinder is also a big plus.

The typical 28mm focal length and tiny sensor is the most limiting factor though
>>
>>2908381
forgot that, what better what to take a shot than to push the camera
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.