[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what memory card reader does /p/ use? I just got a new computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

what memory card reader does /p/ use?

I just got a new computer and I'm looking around for one that will last me a good while, either as external (preferably) or internal to install into my computer.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width4299
Image Height2920
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2011:05:23 23:17:35
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length135.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2400
Image Height1500
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
What are your requirements?

Card types, portability, durability, size????????/
>>
>>2906819

My current camera uses Compact Flash but I'd prefer one with all memory card types.
>>
Why won't you use a cord that comes with your camera instead?

It's much safer and you don't need to remove the card from the camera.
>>
transcend usb 3.0
>>
>>2906808
>>
>>2906845
>$100

Lol no
>>
>>2906846
First of all, you're engaging in one of the most expensive hobbies out there. Are you a pleb who bought a prepackaged computer? Also, learn 2 ebay.
>>
>>2906824

The times I used it, it had a lot more unnecessary loading rather than me just popping in my memory card and seeing the photos instantly. I just got used to it and prefer doing that.

>>2906825

Saw that one on Newegg for $12, doesn't seem bad.

>>2906819

I'm not really too demanding. Something that will get the job done, it's not gonna get used every single day. I had a memory card reader built into my last computer and it was rather convenient. Just built a PC and my case has the slot for it, so I thought about putting one in there, although I've been reconsidering just buying an external one for the sake of being able to take it along with me.
>>
>>2906808
Some hama "does it all" USB2.0 kinda thing
Picked it up for like 15bucks at the local electronics store.
>>
i just use the card readers on my printer
>>
>>2906824
>Why won't you use a cord that comes with your camera instead?
so much this!
t. Canon5DMIII master race
>>
I have some generic flashdrive-sized USB3 SD reader. It works OK, but I have a UHS-2-compatible body now and would like to get a reader that takes advantage of the cards. I'm going to the camera store tomorrow and might pick one up, actually. (IIRC the good Lexar UHS-2 cards come with one.)
>>
File: er_photo_188689.jpg (146KB, 800x845px)
er_photo_188689.jpg
146KB, 800x845px
>>2906808
The one that's in my screen.

Converting NEF to DNG takes way longer than reading from a shitty USB 2.0 reader so speed makes no difference to me.

Equipment MakePhase One
Camera ModelP45+
Camera SoftwarePaint.NET v3.5.10
Image Width2688
Image Height1400
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUnknown
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2010:07:30 15:13:39
Exposure Time1347/673498 sec
ISO Speed Rating100
Light SourceOther
Image Width2688
Image Height1400
>>
>>2906824
Not OP but this would be me preferred option except Lightroom is buggy at recognizing my D800.
>>
>>2906847
>you're engaging in one of the most expensive hobbies out there

hahah no
>>
>>2906825
same, 65MB/s read speeds
>>
>>2906808
Lexar SD+CF USB3 reader. It's simple, fast, and doesn't have a billion slots for dead formats.

>>2906824
I broke the USB port on my 5D2 after a few years of doing it that way. USB is not designed for constant insertion/removal, while your memory card is, I have no idea where you got the idea that it's safer... especially if the camera uses SD cards, god help you if you managed to somehow break the connection on that before anything else, like the card itself.

>>2906847
>First of all, you're engaging in one of the most expensive hobbies out there
Yeah, nah. Cameras last a long time, and lenses last even longer, which also hold their price fairly well. The only consumable is when you're printing. I can list a ton of hobbies where not only the entry price is higher, but also siphons a ton of cash just for upkeep, additionally many hobbies don't produce anything of permanence, they're purely for recreation and enjoyment.
>>
>>2906808
>what memory card reader does /p/ use?
I use a bunch of Chinese USB stick readers.

Got a few USB2 ones at first and then eventually for the instances where it mattered a USB 3 one, but it's not like I systematically use that one since it's almost always more that Lightroom bottlenecks at processing those 24MP RAWs rather than me needing more speed at transferring files.

Maybe when I switch management software, it'll be different at some point.
>>
File: B0156499-y720px.jpg (139KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
B0156499-y720px.jpg
139KB, 480x720px
>>2907023
I see it the other way around:
I use the USB port in the camera so that I'm not constantly exposing the sdcard and it's bay to potential contaminants and wear/corrosion of the contacts... actually mostly becase it's more convenient, and USB3 socket design is a little more robust than previous ones.
If I ever manage to 'break' my usb socket I'll still be able to use the sdcard in a reader. That doesnt necessarily work the other way around though.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera Softwaredarktable 2.0.3
PhotographerAndrew Wade Eglington oh-hi.info
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)132 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:08:13 21:27:43
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating3200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length88.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width480
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>2907035
have you ever tried, oh I don't know, not breaking your shit?
the usb cable is another thing to have to carry whereas using the built in reader on my mac is so easy
>>
>>2907037
>his mac still has a card reader

get with the times grandpa.
>>
By the way, you people know that you can get SD card with WLAN transmitters that will share the photos you take?

The actually storage component inside these will be a microSD.

Can be useful in a lot of situations and also kinda avoid using a SD reader for most.

>>2907023
> USB is not designed for constant insertion/removal, while your memory card is
Micro USB2 has a design life of like 10k cycles or more, by spec.

Pretty sure SD slots have less than that and maybe not even a specified design life.
>>
File: ezshare.jpg (132KB, 800x800px)
ezshare.jpg
132KB, 800x800px
>>2907042
Pic related. There are a bunch of brands, Chinese ones start at $15-20 which is obviously more than a stick, and they will AFAIK never max out the bandwidth available on a 802.11n connection.

But it's quite great for being lazy about not removing cards and also kinda enables you to have image review capabilities as you shoot on a higher resolution computer or smartphone screen and so on.

Of course you don't need this thing extra if you have WLAN and remote control / file transfer features in your new camera anyhow. It's just something interesting for people here who don't.
>>
>>2907042
>Micro USB2 has a design life of like 10k cycles or more, by spec.
How did they get that amount though? sit a person down to do it until it broke? use a machine the repeated the process automatically? things don't really work out like that in real life, but it never got tugged on or abused to the best of my knowledge.
Worst of all, the USB port is soldered to the main board, which is a lot more expensive to replace than the CF slot, at least CF slots are broken often enough for it to be a routine fix.
>>
>>2907049
Automated test jigs which repeatedly cycle the connector mating process, test contact resistance and force required when mating. Mating cycle rating specifically tests wear on the contacts and retention mechanism only. Misuse isn't part of the testing and is never factored into the rating.
>>
>>2907049
> How did they get that amount though?
Passing 10'000 isn't the tested value of a port, but the minimum required to be compliant.

The respective test procedure is called EIA 364-09. Not that you or I should really care other than it being unplug / replug test cycles. It's a standardized automated test.

> Worst of all, the USB port is soldered to the main board, which is a lot more expensive to replace than the CF slot, at least CF slots are broken often enough for it to be a routine fix.
... you just switched to CF slots breaking more often right now?

Anyhow, that's fine with me, but really, a CF slot is much harder to solder than a microUSB or whatever you have. CF has like 50 pins, USB like 6.
>>
OP here. Lot of good points being brought up which is giving me more to consider.

And for the sake of sharing, I mainly shoot with a D200 which only uses CF.
>>
>>2907057
Let me reiterate, the USB is more fragile, but I also know of almost no-one who actually uses it to transfer photos. Statistically, a CF slot is more likely to be damaged if you try to force it or put it in backwards by accident.
The CF slot is on a separate board, they just a replace the whole thing instead of soldering anything, I don't think annoying actually performs real physical repairs anymore, it's easier to just road the whole component.
>>
>>2907049
Did you know smartphones also use micro USB?

People plug their phones in for charging every day. - doesn't cause many issues.
>>
>>2907063
>road
*replace
in other words, no one would just solder a new USB on to the mainboard, you have to replace the whole thing.
>>
>>2907023
>USB is not designed for constant insertion/removal

Full size USB isn't.
Mini USB isn't.
Micro USB is.

It is the main reason they switched from mini to micro.
>>
>>2907074
You have no idea how many phone chargers my boss goes through, it's a miracle the port on his phone still works, it's more beat-up than a two-bit whore in Detroit.
>>
>>2907063
>Let me reiterate, the USB is more fragile,
It is not. I am pretty sure CF slots are less robust / long-lived, actually.

> The CF slot is on a separate board, they just a replace the whole thing instead of soldering anything
Depends on your exact camera and if they do that, the custom component used and the NEED to use the specific shops that do have this part wont be cheaper than soldering on a new USB port anywhere they do simple electronics repairs (or doing it yourself - it's not a really tricky part to solder).

Anyhow, if you prefer to use CF slots like this and it works for you, fine. But I don't think you're on factual ground with this preference.
>>
>>2907081
I had tons of mini/micro USB devices break on me, not just that camera, but never any CF cards. I'm just assuming that bent pins are a common issue given how many people talk about it on forums.
>>
>>2906847
But that's not motorsports.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.