[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manual lenses for street.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: DSC06791.jpg (2MB, 3936x2624px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06791.jpg
2MB, 3936x2624px
Hi there /p/
Been doing some amateur shooting since a couple of years. I mostly enjoy street, and a little bit of landscape.
I recently upgraded to a full frame camera, but all my lenses are still crop, and soon i'm going to buy a full frame lens.
I would just go on and get the 55 1.8 zeiss, but i find myself really wanting to try a manual lens, like loxia 50.
I never ever used a manual lens before, but from what i've read and seen, i think i would enjoy manual focusing a lot.
I must admit though, i am a little bit worried that maybe it won't be fast enough for street photography? But in the other hand, most of manual focusing photographers that i have read from, seem to say that it is easily fast enough for that purpose.
Any thoughts on this? I am definitely willing to put a lot of practice to it, but still, am i ever going to be able to focus on say a cyclist, or rollerblader moving towards me?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7M2
Camera SoftwareCapture One 9 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)45 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:07:29 17:07:28
Image Created2016:07:29 17:07:28
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/1.4
Brightness6.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length30.00 mm
Image Width3936
Image Height2624
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationHigh
SharpnessNormal
>>
f8 and be there.
Honestly, MF isn't that hard, know your lens, know your DOF for your aperture and you'll be focused in a second.
>>
People managed without AF for a good long time.
Practice and anything is possible.
Do it.
>>
>>2906668
They also had tools optimized to deal with using manual focus, specifically things like rangefinders, true distance scales, and focusing screens.
>>
>>2906673
>tools optimised to deal with using manual focus

>rangefinders
>accurate after a day

>true distance scales
Lenses still have those, considering OP seems to be cucking himself to Sony and mentioned the loxia, he's definitely got access to those

>focus screens
Yup, they got smaller for DSLRs for sure, however we also gained liveview, zooming in the EVF and SSJ2.

Honestly, the biggest issue is nu-lenses which all seem to have some degree of focus by wire and no hyperfocal distance scale.
>>
F/7,1-11

be happy
>>
File: DSC06297.jpg (783KB, 2812x1875px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06297.jpg
783KB, 2812x1875px
>>2906646
>>2906691
What if i like the focal plane rather narrow?

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7M2
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image Created2016:06:28 16:51:51
Image Created2016:06:28 16:51:51
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Brightness7.0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2812
Image Height1875
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationHigh
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2906714
Then learn to focus and be prepared to get it wrong every now and then.

Thin depth of field in street shooting is a fucking meme even more so than street shooting in general. When it's at the point that the surroundings are blown out, you're only taking creepshot portraits of people.

If you're looking to photograph someone moving at high speed in close quarters though, you're gonna want to stop down anyway, regardless of how much you think bokeh is cool because it has a nice japanese word attached to it.
>>
>>2906813

fucking gold star post, 10/10 would copy and pasta. have my (you) and my upboat.
>>
I only own and shoot manual lenses on my Sony. The focus peaking makes focusing quickly super easy after a bit of practice. Other than that, this >>2906813
>>
>>2906861
To add one more though that I forgot to mention. People seem to really underestimate the importance of intuitively learning your gear. If you use a lens enough you'll intuitively learn how much of a turn of the focus ring it takes to focus on a particular distance. This isn't something you actively think about, it's more of a muscle memory thing from lots of experience with that particular lens. Usually it will get your pretty damn close nearly instantaneously, at which point a micro turn in one direction or the other with the assistance of focus peaking or a split prism will nail the focusing completely.
>>
>>2906813
To be honest i'm still not sure if i like bokeh or not. Most of my shots are rather sharp across. But sometimes i like the dreamy feel blurred background can add. Im very new to photography and shoting wide open makes it easier to compose, so maybe thats why it is appealing to me...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tammy_z/
>>
I shoot an adapted old Zuiko 28mm f3.5 on my X-T10 because I sold my XF 35mm f1.4, and haven't received my Fuji 27mm yet. So it's about a 40mm equivalent. I've also tried some of my 50mm's, but I'm not comfortable shooting a 50mm and at 75mm equivalent, it gets even harder.

It's okay. I'm just scale focusing really, f8 and set the distance beforehand and snap. Peaking really helps when I'm shooting wide open or trying to nail focus, but I'm still slower and less accurate with it than with a split prism on an SLR, and way slower than with a rangefinder. I do miss some shots I would get with a rangefinder or especially autofocus, but then again, my shooting style is kind of hectic I guess.

So yeah, it's totally doable, but personally if I have autofocus available, I'll rather use that. And also obviously the wider your lens, the easier it is too.
>>
>>2906813
>If you're looking to photograph someone moving at high speed in close quarters though, you're gonna want to stop down
Why do you say that?
>>
>>2907096
because it is likely they will have moved from your point of original focus by the time you hit the shutter, and thus a deeper DOF (stopping down) would give you more leeway for error and possibly be the difference between an OOF image and a in-focus one?

IDK, I don't do street myself, but this is the logic I could see behind that.
>>
>>2907096
>http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm
>http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
>https://www.pointsinfocus.com/tools/depth-of-field-and-equivalent-lens-calculator
These tools may help you to understand, if you're fairly new or haven't shot many bokeh shitter portraits you may not have paid much attention to depth of field and minimum focus distance yet. Minimum focus distance and depth of field at a certain aperture depends on focal length and sensor/film size. Stopping down will increase your depth of field and when used near minimum focus/close focus distance you'll have a better chance to get the shot.

If you want to shoot someone with a lens moving towards you at high speed and it's wide open on a longer lens, be aware that you're going to get a thinner depth of field. With that comes the likelihood of not hitting the shutter at the right time. Maybe you have a crutch like a motor drive or continuous shutter on digital where you can spray and pray.
If you're manually focusing on this person/object and they're moving towards you at speed, you better hope that you're either moving with them, tracking or a fucking god.
>>
File: DSC04416.jpg (2MB, 4802x3191px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04416.jpg
2MB, 4802x3191px
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think i will get the loxia. Now to save some money first, hehe. Can't wait! I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it a lot!

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelNEX-6
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image Created2015:12:26 11:26:56
Image Created2015:12:26 11:26:56
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Brightness10.6 EV
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width4802
Image Height3191
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2906813
>taking creepshot portraits of people

Thats my favorite kind of street
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.