[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horizon and shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: horizons.jpg (161KB, 1200x340px) Image search: [Google]
horizons.jpg
161KB, 1200x340px
Hello /p/,
I want to discuss about the position of the horizon in a sea/lake composition.
My question: is the centered horizon boring if the composition looks good? I don't fell i want to lose my space in useless sky, and when i don't have a good subject in the water, it is boring too.
Which one of the three is better?

I know that the example I'm bringing is boring *and lacks of a subject*, but it's not the point of this thread (well, you can always shit on my photos, find it useful)
>>
>>2906559
If the composition works, then who cares if it's boring?

Look, if someone's only complaint about your shot is that you're using a "boring" composition, then they don't have anything to say about your composition.
>>
the third has the most interesting composition

>but it's not the point of this thread
stupid. it depends entirely on the example. there is no general rule that fits all images
>>
File: 1608191818.jpg (110KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
1608191818.jpg
110KB, 600x399px
>>2906564
Why the third?
The bottom of the pic, in theory, is completely useless. I know i can easly crop the photo, but when i'll be taking the next one, should i care of including the bottom even if on the bottom there's nothing intresting?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-G7
Camera SoftwareSILKYPIX(R) Developer Studio 4.4 SE 4.4.3.3
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:08:19 20:35:47
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length31.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4592
Image Height3061
RenderingCustom
>>
>>2906571
I personally like water. Like the other poster said it doesn't really matter where you put the horizon but rather how you want to convey the story in your image. When I look at the water and the docks I think of travelling in northern Ontario relaxing by a nice quiet lake. I would have recomposed to remove the tree on the right side of the image though.
>>
make the subject the focus point, if the sky is shit and boring then you dont need it in the photo so get more foreground

if the sky looks great and there is fuck all in the foreground then fuck the foreground

if the main focus is a bulding and the sky and foreground look shit then centre the building

etc etc etc
>>
>>2906571
the water is more interesting than the blank white sky
>>
File: 1608191919.jpg (88KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
1608191919.jpg
88KB, 600x399px
>>2906573
I thought the same thing for the three: fact was that it was huge and tall, and I had to cut the people on the boat and the duck.
You can see, btw, the tree in another pic i took later on, it is the highest.
In the first I was waiting for the duck and for the people.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-G7
Camera SoftwareSILKYPIX(R) Developer Studio 4.4 SE 4.4.3.3
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:08:19 20:54:01
Exposure Time0.4 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length14.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4592
Image Height3061
RenderingCustom
>>
>>2906559
>is the centered horizon boring if the composition looks good?

Yes.

Centered horizon only looks good if it's a deliberate part of your composition.
For example when doing a reflection.

>I don't fell i want to lose my space in useless sky

Negative space is often great to emphasize the rest of the picture.
>>
>>2906585
> Negative space is often great to emphasize the rest of the picture
This is a good one, appreciatethat.jpg
>>
>it's a "which of these three crops of the same photo have the best composition" episode

Wew
>>
>>2906578
I like this way of thinking.
So basically focus on the subject and fuck whetever looks bad if compared to the rest.
>>
>>2906588
>implying this happens often enough to warrant a reply of this nature
>implying this thread is worse than "I bought these cheap chinkshit lights, are they bad?" Or the asston of other, easily Googled questions

Fuck off shitlord.
>>
>>2906596
exactly

all this keep the horizon centred and verticals straight etc is a load of balls

angles make photography interesting

and cropping out shit you dont need like a blank sky will enhance what is in the photo without half the picture being taken up by nothing
>>
>>2906588
Nobody forces you to reply if you don't like.
You just keeping it bumping on top on this way.
So if you think that this is not interesting, please go back sharing your nudes on /b/, that are always appreciated.
>>
>>2906597
>>2906610

lmao triggered right in the pussy
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.