[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to uni to study Press and Editoral photography BA then

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (21KB, 430x279px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 430x279px
Going to uni to study Press and Editoral photography BA then a masters in Investigtive Journalism. Might as get a PhD since the gubbernent pays. What should I do?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width430
Image Height279
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2903918
Theres a photojournalist that started a thread if you haven't seen it yet. Perfect person to ask.
>>
>>2903918
>PhD
>photography

wat?
>>
>>2903933
Dr. Ken Rockwell.
>the horror
>>
study sociology, anthropology, macroeconomics, or even journalism instead of getting a BA in photography. you dont need a BA to take pictures and build a portfolio, if anything pursuing the BA will likely make you lazy and assume you won't need one.
>>
>>2903943
you just know that he would get a degree from an online college and start telling everyone hes a doctor
>>
>>2903956
before you get on my case and you're REALLY set on photography as a BA, start it as a minor if applicable. You'll get all the useful clsses you need while getting a useful degree in a more relevant major, such as the ones ive already listed.
>>
>>2903956
i feel like those degrees you just named would only give an incredibly small advantage in being a photographer unless youre an mlg eric kim "streetog" who needs every thing to help you photograph, i think op's decisions are the best degrees for photographers considering that most of the shit you need to know is learned from experience
>>
>>2903961
As long as he doesn't claim to be a gynecologist.
>>
>>2903965
ok first off
1. you're the OP
2. real experience, aka going on craigslist and offering to act as a photographers assistant, is far more valuable than "classroom experience".

by saying
>the shit you need to know is learned from experience

and then equating it to a photography degree is exactly what I was warning about. using the degree as a substitute for actual experience is going to lead you to a useless degree and no portfolio to show for it.
>>
Hi,

l made thread that loosely answers your questions if you haven't already gone onto it

>>2903645

But I'll make my answer to your question as strong as possible.
Photography degrees are unbelievably superficial, they cannot teach you anymore than what you can teach yourself through books and the online space. Sure, do it as a major or minor in your BA - but I don't think you'll get the result you're looking for in terms of getting work in the field.

My advice - if you really want to have a degree, do something like anthropology, literature, or politics - but you don't even need that - take the exorbitant amount of money you're going to spend on your studies and use it towards going overseas and making a portfolio, building confidence as a journalist, learning basic language, and building character.

From the experience of my colleagues and good friends, every media agency will look at your degree and say "ahh thats neat, so wheres your portfolio?"
>>
>>2903918
>phd in journalism
300k starting right?
hahahahahaha.
>>
Honestly, even if journalism is your dream job, it's not worth it to even get a bachelors in journalism.
>>
http://pseudosticky.wikia.com/wiki/Pseudo_sticky#Studying_Photography-should_you_do_it
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.