[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

super 8 friendly discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: large_super8camera.jpg (273KB, 980x653px) Image search: [Google]
large_super8camera.jpg
273KB, 980x653px
Redpill me on Super 8, /p/.

I'm a millenial filmmaker who's recently been captivated by the look and feel of 8mm, and from my research it seems super 8 is the cheapest option, as spools are far more difficult to get developed.

That said, I found a super 8 camera at the thrift store today (Bauer C2M) but I wasn't confident enough to buy it because I have no idea how to tell if it's working or not, nor where to get film and where the cheapest place to get it processed is (I live in a small town, not likely I'll find a place nearby
>>
>>2899205
It's ridiculously fucking expensive. 3 minutes of film costs around $50 to buy and develop. Just do the effects in post, it'll be easier and way cheaper
>>
>>2899205

I have a few Canon 814 cameras, it is fun to shoot.

>I wasn't confident enough to buy it because I
have no idea how to tell if it's working or not

check the AA battery compartment
check the light meter battery compartment
put batteries in it
press trigger and it will work or not.

>nor where to get film and where the cheapest place to get it processed is

expired film off ebay is cheap
B&H has reliable stock - (last time I checked)
Super 8 sound - expensive but custom and they dupe it to DV for you when they develop it.

A handfull of labs around the US still develop it - youll have to google it.
you can develop it yourself in a bucket, it gets really scratchy and gritty but I kind of like the look.
if you do a reversal bleach for B&W be careful, it can burn your skin quite badly.

>>2899215
it can be done cheap but you have to do a lot yourself and settle for expired film

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeResearch In Motion
Camera ModelBlackBerry 9360
Camera SoftwareRim Exif Version1.00a
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2014:08:02 15:26:28
Exposure Time0 sec
Subject Distance0.00 m
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash Function
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2592
Image Height1944
>>
File: kodaksuper8head.jpg (42KB, 640x513px) Image search: [Google]
kodaksuper8head.jpg
42KB, 640x513px
When is the Kodak meme 8 coming out? It was announced in January and then nothing.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3000
Image Height2155
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:01:06 08:26:32
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width640
Image Height513
>>
even 16 mm film looks like shit.

What kind of retard not simply going for le retro asthetics would spend so much for 8mm?

>captivated by
there's nothing to be fucking captivated by unless you're a faggot who uploads trite poorly filmed and edited documentaries of farmers or whatever the fuck with shitty le inspirational music in the background.
>>
>>2899205
Super 8 truly looks like fucking garbage
All of the cameras for super 8 are fucking garbage
All of the super 8 videos are fucking garbage
16mm is one step up if you want to do film recording, something still commonly used for some modern tv shows
Super 8 in the past was marketed to poor families that just wanted to record parties, it has no positive qualities
>>
>>2899205
There's nothing to be captivated by, you hipster. Super 8 was meant to be affordable and usable by even the dumbest poorfag in the past. The frames are as small as a pinky nail, so the quality isn't very great. I like the look, because I spent a very long time digitising my grandfather's old films, bit I recognise that this is merely nostalgia.

Filming with super 8 now, for any serious application, is a pure waste of money. It's fun, but it's not even barely feasible to use. Even if you wouldnt edit *at all*, a 1 hour documentary/movie would need 20 cartridges + development, so it would cost you around $1000 just to make a shitty piece of moving image no one is going to look at with pleasure. Save that money, buy a digital camera and add le hipster effects in pp. Just buy a single cassette and use it for fun and put all this stuff to rest.
>>
>>2902311
>I like the look, because I spent a very long time digitising my grandfather's old films, bit I recognise that this is merely nostalgia.
I mean

you might literally find it aesthetically pleasing?

not to endorse the ridiculous waste of money that it is, but I think you're being a bit dense about appreciating a look or style here.
>>
are there any good super8 cameras that shoots proper 23.9 frames/second
>>
>>2902033
>16 mm film looks like shit
your mom looks like shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-81VRVQXw
>>
>>2902033
>even 16 mm film looks like shit.

But it doesn't unless you're using a fucking painters bucket to develop it.
16mm is expensive coming out the ass since many ameatuer filmmakers go to professional labs but if you have the Dongs quality of footage isn't hard to achieve.
>>
>>2902314
Yes I find it aesthetically pleasing because it fits the timeframe. Old things look old because everything in it is old. I saw footage of a long dead great aunt in her 40s driving in a 60s car, on film. It makes sense, it all fits. But filming 2016 people and things on film just doesn't look right. Sure you can do it for the whole contrast between old and new thing but that has been done countless times already. Don't get me wrong, it's fun as hell so go ahead and have fun with it, but it doesn't really have a place in serious applications.
>>
>>2902323
Black Swan was shot on Super 16? Interesting!
>>
File: arri416.png (241KB, 715x400px) Image search: [Google]
arri416.png
241KB, 715x400px
>>2902554
yes
>>
>>2902383
>>2902383
>But filming 2016 people and things on film just doesn't look right
maybe to you.

I said, in that post itself, that it can be a formal taste rather than one tied to time.

such applications are as serious as you choose to make them

you really limit yourself.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.