[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do I see so many people using Canon EOS DSLR's for video?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
Why do I see so many people using Canon EOS DSLR's for video? From the cheaper T6i up to the more expensive 7D Mark II, they all can only do up to 30fps 1080p footage. That's kinda shitty considering there are other, even cheaper, Mirrorless/DSLRs doing 4K and/or 60fps video, such as the Panasonic G7, and the Sony Alpha a6300.

It just seems like the Canon EOS series are pretty "standard" DSLR film cameras when spec-wise, they're very lackluster.

Is there something I'm missing here as far as appeal for film?
>>
>>2888457
L lenses?
>>
>>2888457

5d2 was a landmark in our field.

Canon is well known for holding back progress and making you pay dearly for things "only a professional" would want.

Others are catching up.

What's your fucking point?
>>
Battery life?

Maybe they also shoot pictures with it and just do video because they can do that without getting another camera for that

Who knows?
>>
>they all can only do up to 30fps 1080p footage

because 1080p is all you need. unless you have a monitor that can handle 4k, (and maybe 1% of the population does), the difference between 4k downscaled and outright 1080p is negligible. the only real benefit is being able to crop in if you have shaky footage, but that's an awful crutch for a beginner to become dependent on.

4K files are much larger and more difficult to edit with, especially if you only have a mid-range computer. just like buying an expensive full frame digital medium format, if you're going to go 4K this early in the game, it should be for a specific purpose. and at that point, you'd be better off opting for something like a red or c300.

the entry level canon's are popular for video for more than just 1080p. its just a very user friendly entry level camera that, most importantly for a beginner, works intuitively and right out of the box, and there's really nothing wrong with that. ergonomics and camera design are factors people on /p/ seriously underestimate... in that regard the 80D is by far one of the best entry level cameras for a film student who's creating shorts to learn moreso than to enter into the tribeca shortlist. compared to something like the a6300, its way less of a pain in the ass to use and won't overheat every 3 minutes.
>>
>>2888482
That's very true. As far as the t6i goes, the battery life isn't very good from my understanding, but the more expensive EOS camera have a very solid battery life, especially in comparison to cameras like the Sony Alpha series.

>>2888483
You make some really good points. I've always liked the idea of re-framing my shots in post if need be and shooting in 4K offers that, and I figured a camera that can handle 4K, will shoot more stable 1080 handheld, but then again, there's mounts for that.

I would argue that a lot of other cameras are just as user friend out of the box. But, the fact of sony EOS series being a popular cameras definitely does help with availability in the used market, especially with lenses, and resources available. You only lightly mentioned it, but the overheating thing is a good point. I forgot about how the smaller cameras tend to overheat and, as far as I've heard, the Canon's don't really have problems overheating. It just sucks that there isn't too much statistics on overheating, its kind of hard to find info on which cameras have overheating problems.
>>
>>2888483
>4k downscaled and outright 1080p is negligible

Wrong.

I work in the film industry and edit a lot of projects. It matters.

On low scale projects using premiere, 4k helps with edge sharpness.

Your argument is like saying an 8mp picture is fine and there's absolutely no need for anything more because you're gonna crop it anyway. You're telling a photography board this. Edge sharpness matters, so does total resolution.

Mid-range computers can handle 4k editing, use 1/8th scaling on premiere for heavy parts of the project, then check frames at 1/4th for quality. Export in the format you need for the end result.

Also, if your system can't handle editing this way, it wont handle 1080.

>opting for a red or C300 if people want 4k
>RED
>50k+ camera system

Your inexperience shows.
>>
>>2888512
It's funny how everybody online seems to jerk it to the RED, and yet nobody I know who's actually in the industry thinks much of them.

As far as I can tell, the Alexa seems to be the weapon of choice right now. Is that what you're seeing as well?
>>
>>2888518
Not him but; they're both absurdly high-priced systems that you might primarily spy on the sets of blockbuster films, even though they're much less expensive than digital camera systems of years past. the tendency in the industry has seen a move to smaller, lighter cameras that provide 95% of the image quality at 1/20th the price, and can be mounted easily on any kind of stabilization equipment or even drones, dramatically reducing the cost of rigging and manpower, whilst allowing a greater variety of camera movements and tricks than ever before.
The RED and Alexa are both nice cameras, but I can't say I have a burning desire to want to use them, for various reasons.
>>
>>2888518

REDRAW is an amazing format and RED does not deserve the flak they get. They have a proprietary compression format for their RAW files, to make post more manageable while preserving bit depth, luma/chroma at reasonable scales. Their first cameras were shit but now the weapon 6k is really doing well in the field. I wouldn't mind owning one, but that's easily a 70k+ investment. I don't run a rental company so it doesn't make any sense.

Arri will always be good, but very, very expensive. People like using them because "it just werks". Old hats have habits that die hard.

Sony also makes really decent gear.

At this power level of film making, it all just depends on the best tool for the job.

For low-end jobs, it all depends on what you can afford. IMHO, people matter more than gear, and spending money on a good G/E team, art, scriptie, production and an ace DP is much more important than having the nicest RED or Alexa with panavision glass and a fucking technocrane on set.

I've seen fucking magic happen with sticks(tripod), hand made tools and a steadicam op. Lighting was perfectly creative and art department was this giant dude who would have small conversations with the director about the small things. He was a 25+ year veteran who really knew his shit and made the movie that much better. Did it matter that if we used CFAST 2 cards at a 5/1 compression with a 25,000 Cooke prime at that point? No. What mattered was storytelling and ingenuity. It was all shot on a more inexpensive platform.. It's making money right now in the open market and I'm really proud of this production.
>>
>>2888521
You in Hollywood? I wonder if I know that art department guy. (My dad's been a set designer/art director for almost 30 years, so there's a good chance I do.)
>>
File: swag.jpg (29KB, 331x414px) Image search: [Google]
swag.jpg
29KB, 331x414px
>>2888526

Yeah, I'm in Hwood.

Use your dad to get in.

Don't even think about not trying.

I know you know this, but get used to the idea of working 12-15 hour days while asking for more. These horrible work schedules only come once in a while, but they pay really well.

Your dad knows a shitload of DP's, directors, producers and people in other departments you might be interested in.

Work with your dad to learn about set etiquette and how its all done. If hes retiring, ask him to hook you up. Just be ready to WORK.
>>
>>2888518
the reason people on forums were so infatuated with REDs, is that they provided "cinema quality" equipment in a price bracket that was affordable to an indie movie production.

Its insanely good for its pricepoint, but it isnt close to Universal studio Standards. There you have the industry insiders' scepticism.

also, the affordabillity is why industry
>>
>>2888530
All solid advice were I trying to get into the industry, but I've spent way too much time around it to subject myself to the bullshit. I've got connections way above my dad's level, too, but I've got a career in a totally different field.
>>
>>2888554
Apologies, I misread your post.
>>
Because the 5DII.

It was the first very widely used consumer camera for commercial and professional video.

So, Canon became kind of the "go to" system for semi-pro video.

Things like that kind of stick.
>>
>>2888483
>not future proofing you work because it's not worth a damn
>not using 4k as a supersample and get way better 1080p video quality than canon shits out.
>probably because his work is not worth a damn.
>>
One, 1080p/30 is all you need for what many would consider solid youtube video.

Two, lenses for canon are a hell of a lot more available, and much cheaper, than their sony counterparts, if those counterparts even exist.
>>
>>2888479
>Canon is well known for holding back progress and making you pay dearly for things "only a professional" would want

You mean like offering a full frame sensor for five years after it was already common on the market?

Oh wait, that was Nikon.
>>
>>2888457
They can shoot RAW with Magic Lantern.
>>
>>2888679
Are you even trying? If your work is so important, why don't you go with a dedicated video camera? Stop your lame ass "arguments".
>>
>>2888457
Well canons video is still pretty good and anyone who knows what they're doing can make some pretty good stuff on even a t3i or some shit, not to mention the lenses, you honestly don't need a gh4 or a7sii to take good video
>>
>>2888554

what field are u into i'm just curious
>>
Lenses
Magic Lantern
Ubiquity
>>
>>2888457
my point of view:
started with a 20D cause i had it for cheap, got a 60D for video cause i was at that point already used to its logic and
>magic lantern
god that thing is awesome, it basically makes a camcorder out of a dslr
>>
>>2888457

Dual pixel AF

>muh 4k

Nobody even has 4k TVs or monitors.
>>
>>2891725
When the XBox360 could only do 720p they also said "nobody has a 1080p monitor/TV anyway!
It's an early-adopter thing
>>
>>2888679
>implying anything a 15 year old with no life experience churns out would be worth a damn

literally no 15 year old in existence's short film is worth a damn. 99.9% of college film student's shorts aren't worth a damn. but waste the money on a RED if you think it'll save your shitty script and poor directing.

the point made is just get a fucking camera that shoots and runs longer than 5 minutes.
>>
Dear,
>>2888679
please listen to
>>2891731
get a few friends that do something special and let them do that. Doesn't matter if it's skating in a halfpipe or YoYo-ing
When I asked my LARPing friends to do a short show at a RenFair, I learned more about directing, composition and planning than in College.
You have to be able to organize people and know what looks good.
Go out there with a shitty camera and make it work.
All this technology bullshit doesnt matter. It just enables you to do what you excell at. If you can't do anything, It's worthless.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.