[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

backseat camera dev

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 8397428371_fa05710b48_b.jpg (202KB, 1013x570px) Image search: [Google]
8397428371_fa05710b48_b.jpg
202KB, 1013x570px
Now that ``small size'' is no longer the sole domain of small sensors. APS-C and FF sensor cameras can now be as compact as cameras with compact sensors. ~This kills the MFT~

Besides, there's an ergonomic limit to how small a camera should be. We needn't resort to camera the size of a tiny Minox camera for small sensors to stay relevant.

I think Pentax had an idea in the right direction, but horrible execution. If you can't compete on size, compete on unique styling. So they made the MX-1 compact. Which unfortunately looks like a half-ass MX. Where's the pentaprism?! So they went for unique retro style, but then threw it out the window halfway. They ended up with a product that didn't please any crowd.

They could've made it a compact sensor SLR, that's actually about the same size as the original MX. Usually when companies do retro style, the big sensor forces them to make the bodies HUGE compared to the original designs of old. Autofocus on a lens also adds significant bulk to the lens design. This is where compact sensors got the edge against APS-C and FF. They have smaller lenses even with modern AF design, on account of having normal focal length equivalents at much shorter actual focal lengths and less glass needed to produce a smaller image. For this reason, APS-C and FF will never ever successfully miniaturize their lenses as much as they have with their bodies.

Can you imagine what the MX-1 could've been if it had a TTL optical viewfinder, separate dials for shutter speed, exposure compensation, and ISO? Even with a compact sensor, at this size with a fixed compact zoom, it would've been amazing. Certainly no Fuji mirrorless, but still unique enough to set itself apart. There's so many neat interesting things you can do with compact sensors that would be prohibitive with APS-C and FF.

What are you backseat camera dev ideas?
>>
>What are you backseat camera dev ideas?

I'd make a contax g2 with a full frame sensor that has a better viewfinder that can still use the godly g-mount lenses
>>
>>2887889
>APS-C and FF sensor cameras can now be as compact as cameras with compact sensors.
Gearfags only looking at body size again, I see. It's all about system size. Body size isn't even a consideration until you look at the big magalloy chassis DSLRs.

>>2887999
So an autofocusing Leica. Leica BTFO when?
>>
File: download.jpg (340KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
340KB, 1000x667px
>>2888006
>So an autofocusing Leica. Leica BTFO when?

1996, when it was released

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-T1
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera X-T1 Ver1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)53 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2014:07:24 19:48:24
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness2.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3456
Image Height2304
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationNormal
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeManual Exposure
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
>>2888006
Did you even read?

> APS-C and FF will never ever successfully miniaturize their lenses as much as they have with their bodies.
>>
>>2888008
what's the point of an autofocusing rangefinder? isn't that basically a normal autofocusing mirrorless like x-pro?
>>
>>2888011
>what's the point of an autofocusing rangefinder?

snappin photos

>isn't that basically a normal autofocusing mirrorless like x-pro?

you could say that except the g2 is 'full frame'

I haven't used the g2 as I only have a g1 but it's easily one of my favorite cameras to use because of how smooth it is. Even with the inferior g1 autofocus it's just gorgeous
>>
>>2888014
What I'm wondering is if an actual rangefinding mechanism has any advantages for autofocus compared to the current technology.
>>
>>2888018
Well it would probably be easier to produce and more reliable but aside from that the system the g2 uses is already pretty smooth and refined aside from using screw drive for the actual focusing of the lenses
>>
Doesn't work like that. Pick up any of your digital cameras and look where the sensor is. Now pick up a film body and look at the film plane.

Put a mirror in there and it'll never be as small.
>>
>>2888032
the point is that it doesn't need to be the smallest camera body in the market anymore in order to compete with aps-c or ff
>>
>>2888008
Autofocusing digital rangefinder

my bad
>>
>>2888050
Literally Xpro2. Many have already made the Contax G2 comparison as well.
>>
>>2888160
b-b-but not a real rangefinder
>>
>>2888027
Sadly the Contax mechanism is way more complicated and less reliable than what mirrorless cameras use. You're talking about a pretty substantial amount of optics and moving parts to make an RF work

On-sensor focusing is also super simple and works with any lens, while a separate RF requires some kind of linkage to connect the lens to the RF system. The actual AF mechanism of modern mirrorless lenses is shockingly simple compared to screw drives or even ultrasonic focusing, too. (The trend now is for electromagnetic focusing, where the element just slides straight forward and back on a magnet, with no gears or helicoids or anything.)
>>
>>2888179
I'm not denying that it's more complicated and less reliable. I actually said that current technology is definitely more reliable and cheaper

For 1996 technology the autofocus on the g2 is fantastic
>>
>>2887889
i want a mx-1 mirrorless apsc.
>>
>>2888181
Oh gotcha, I read your post the other way around.
>>
Tbh I don't really know why MFT would make sense to me personally. APS-C is pretty much the same size and weight, with better high iso performance.

Full frame mirrorless to me is a lie, the lenses are still fuckhuge so the compactness of the bodies is lost. Unless you only adapt rangefinder lenses or something.
>>
>>2888340
Because you've never picked up a GX85 and 42.5/1.7 or 20/1.7. Asides from a lack of an affordable true wide angle, those two lenses could cover 80% of my needs for a travel camera. That setup is small as fuck and I don't shoot at night.

M43 doesn't make sense as a primary system for most people, of course.
>>
>>2888428
Tfw no Panasonic 10mm f4 for $400
You can still get a shagyang 12 f4.
>>
>>2887889
I would love to have a full frame digital Olympus xa
>>
>>2887889
big sensors still need bigger lenses, if not bigger bodies
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 447x346px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 447x346px
>>2888444
Do you double dare me to adapt this lens to my a7?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width447
Image Height346
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2888446
an f/900 megamacro
>>
>>2888447
(with the appropriate extension tubes for a full frame image circle of course)

actually with such a high f-stop would it not have infinity focus anyway? just essentially a pinhole with some glass in the way
>>
>>2888340
>APS-C is pretty much the same size and weight
Except not really tho
>>
>>2888448
>f=1:1.9
>>
>>2888433
The 12/2 for $320 burgerbux?
>>
>>2887889
>~This kills the MFT~
except not really tho
>>
>>2888428
I had a Panasonic setup for a while. (GX1 + 20mm and kit lens.) It was quite small with that setup, but I found 20mm a pretty awkward focal length for everyday use.

I think the biggest issue with the GX85 setup isn't anything to do with the setup itself, but rather that an X-E2s with one of Fuji's pancakes is only incrementally larger, and that gets you into a much more all-around usable system.
>>
>>2888591
>but I found 20mm a pretty awkward focal length for everyday use.
>can't shoot everyday with a 40-45 eqv
It's literally the everyday snapshit focal length.
>>
>>2887889
I really wanted to like the MX, but no viewfinder was a big issue. You think they could have slapped an evf on top. Hell Olympus did with their OMD and that was around the same time.
>>
>>2888591
>not being able to interchangeably shoot at 35-50mm equiv

git gud
>>
>>2889082
>>2889140
I don't like 50 either, and while I use 35 frequently, it's not for snapshits.

I guess maybe it comes down to personal preference, and how you define "snapshits." "Normal" lenses are great for straight documentary photography for personal use, stuff like taking a picture of your lunch or an interesting sign you saw or something, any photo in which reproducing the subject accurately is the goal of the photo.

I don't really shoot photos like that except when I'm paid to do it, though. Maybe it's a habit left over from working as a photojournalist for a few years, but I only shoot photos when I think they'll be compelling to an audience of strangers, and I find it very difficult to do that with a normal lens. I prefer the "immersion" and ability to take in an entire scene of a wide or ultrawide, or the ability to pick things out and isolate them that a telephoto provides.

To me, a "snapshit" is any photo I take outside the context of a planned photoshoot or event, but I'm still trying to create interesting images when I'm doing them. I suppose that's not the same thing as a "true snapshit."
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.