[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Work shown here vs. postmodern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: photo.jpg (566KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
566KB, 1000x667px
Recently, I have seen a number of exhibits of "new" photographers whose work is VERY DIFFERENT that most of the work I see here. Many call themselves "postmodern", but their work appears to be of very low quality and frequently has disturbing imagery and/or messages. Their image are frequently banal, or just plain ugly.

I'm wondering, why those people are having shows in important galleries/museums, but it appears that most of the people I talk with don't like the images, but for some reason, they also look down on those of us doing work that features beauty and peace.

Any thoughts????

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:07:21 15:27:29
>>
art is very frequently ugly, morbid and confronting as it is appreciated for it's emotional power.
>>
>>2887255
This is the black square on white background by Malevich, it's one of the first works of art that try to exclude all classic features of what is considered art by most people. Most of the people back then didn't understand it, neither do most people today. You are on the same level of understanding art as most people 100 years ago, you sure are qualified to discuss it on 4chan.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2004:08:02 10:00:48
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2930
Image Height1948
>>
I can type up a tl;dr on this if you want?
>>
>>2887265
not OP but do it because I'm interested
>>
>>2887266
Not gounna lie I did pre-type it because I'm a sad fucker. this leaves out a LOT and is very reductive but here we go

Postmodernism initially developed as a sort of tool to deconstruct homogeneous theories of culture and identity. These theories/movements worked from artificially limited and often downright unrealistic standards of viewing the world, the most notable being a movement called logical positivism. PM as a movement was intended to be wholly abstract, just a tool to find holes in other older theories.

Google “moral relativism” to get a watered down, simplified example of where PM is coming from. PM argued that we can’t really access the truth, only come close to it. It argues that things like good vs bad, true vs false, are relative.

In the art world everyone from good artists to absolute plebs used PM to deconstruct how we see art - through art. and so it’s often quite meta, and looks at how, ultimately we choose how we read an artwork - how the meaning isn’t in the author’s intentions, but is in the work itself (and therefore people read those signs differently).

The result is that despite some interesting work made there’s also this attitude of “anything goes” where because art is thought to be subjective, anything can be good art and whether something is a clever statement or just an accidental act of incompetence is a matter of your judgment.

an example of PM being badly applied is the pick-and-choosing of the theories by third wave feminism, who take the ideas of culture and gender being relative, but ignore the moral relativism (because it doesn’t fit the moral narrative).

that said, also see >>2887258

a lot of artists don’t consider the above philosophy stuff when making work and it’s simply the current state of philo.

/p/ is by and large formalist - they don’t care about meaning, only pretty shapes and one-offs. as a result proper series of work don’t come up all that much
>>
>>2887272
I think I sort of understand what you're saying. I need to do more research. Cheers
>>
>>2887262
lol 10/10
>>
>>2887272
youre confusing postmodernism, with poststructuralism and deconstruction though..

there is no postmodern philosophy, there is no intention behind postmodernism, no core group of people who wrote a manifesto. Postmodernism /was/ an art movement that started as a natural reaction to both personal and cultural identity becoming detached from heritage.
>>
>>2887318
also, contemporary photography is Not postmodernist photography..

http://chateaushatto.com/exhibition/ultimate-paradox-the-photography-of-jean-baudrillard/

this is.

weve moved beyond postmodernism years ago
>>
>>2887323
>Giclée print
the pretension is real.

not bad photos, they literally look like the same style of photography that everyone on /p/ shoots

also you could argue that any art from the 1980s onward is "postmodern" because we are living in an irreversibly postmodern world. any previous school of thought are long dead
>>
>>2887328

>irreversibly postmodern world

this makes me sad

nowadays schools of thought are only artists' personal styles
>>
>>2887328
>same style of photography that everyone on /p/ shoots
except theres actual direction and content behind these photos.
>>
>>2887338
of course its better than anything I've seen on /p/, but its still a really generic style of shooting that's been done to death
>>
>>2887343
>of course its better than anything I've seen on /p/
lol okay, my delusional newfriend
>>
Good thread guys
http://photo.net/philosophy-of-photography-forum/00e2zq
>>
>>2887262
A relative of mine was a student at the Surikov Art Institute ages ago, and they know a lot of interesting facts about famous art pieces having been around to see them in the fresh. The story of the black square is quite interesting, since it's only a black square on the surface; it's a "failed" painting that Malevich painted over in black so that it wouldn't be an eyesore in case he wanted to start a new one on top of it, but was surprised when his guests actually commented on it, and decided to start including it as part of his exhibitions out of morbid curiosity. Even if there is a figurative or literal statement somewhere in there about art, there is also a real painting.
>>
>>2887579
stay mad /p/ poster
everyone here is shit
>>
File: Jean-Baudrillard-Las-Vegas-1996.jpg (1MB, 1800x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Jean-Baudrillard-Las-Vegas-1996.jpg
1MB, 1800x1224px
>>2887328
>>2887343
>>2887579
are you kidding? those photos are absolutely gorgeous.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
Image Created2015:12:01 17:40:19
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance1.93 m
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length58.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1800
Image Height1224
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
This one is raadddddd.

OP, mind posting an example of what you're talking about?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image Width1224
Image Height1800
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
Image Created2015:12:02 11:13:24
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance2.26 m
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length58.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1800
Image Height1224
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
because they're interesting ideas that seem like some sort of response to theory and history of art photography, aside from the fact that it doesn't sound very postmodern
>>
>>2890079
>>2889852
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.