[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /p/ bring home the bacon.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

We all love photography, we are all familiar with gear, and we know how to shitpost. But how the fuck do we make money. Do you make money on shoots? What do you do, how did it start? Do yo u make money elsewhere and snap shit on the side?

I thinks /p could benefit from a intelligent thread and share our business knowledge to make photography a living like so many others do.

That being said I am interested in the commercial side, so products and studios and whatnot. I have assisted for a little bit, but fucked up somewhere and have not been called back. Networking is a huge aspect of the photo biz (anyone interested in starting a /p Slack ch.??) but how do you talk work as a lover of photography as well? Do you even talk about potential gigs, and if so when?

I have so many questions and think that there may be more you out there with similar ones.
>>
I suck more dick networking and trying to network than I do taking photos. Go to wedding shows, photography meet ups, email photographers in your town, if your in college out university than check if there any clubs.
>>
>>2886477
I think that where do you live has a great influence in which kind of photography you´ll be able to make a profitable business of. The sad truth is that most of commercial work is focused in LA and NY. Not only most big companies, with real budgets, the ones we all dream with are in those places but the production companies, eq rental houses, etc are there too. Many companies fly just to shoot even if they´re not located there.

You wanna play with the big boys? You have to move to the big cities.

Assisting is a great way to start, probably your best chances are there. You´ll probably something every single time you get a gig, if you don´t, it means you´re working for the wrong people.

Ideally you´ll freelance assisting while building you´re own portfolio on the side, now you have a team of professionals looking to expand they´re own skills (the people you meet while assisting) and you have better and more refined skills.

Once you have a decent portfolio is time to knock doors and sell, sell sell.

It sounds like a long run, but somebody said.."don´t worry if something will take a very long time to be accomplished, the time will pass anyway" or something like that
>>
you´ll probably LEARN something*...
>>
Goddamn, why have there been like five "how make $$$ with mug camrah" threads in two days? It can't all be the same guy, can it?
>>
>>2886477
I work at McDonalds whilst I do Computer Science at uni. Wew.
>>
>>2886561
rest assured that the rest are not me

>>2886554
This confirms how I thought it might work, but never considered the amount of effort over time. Just have to hit harder, longer.
>>
>>2887131
I just started using this site and it's amazing to me how much bitching and nagging i see from people that don't have anything with substance to say. Fuck them, if you're not helping you're in the way. I deeply feel bad for them because they are only projecting their own fears and frustrations. Somebody that is happy and satisfied doesn't have the need to make others feel shitty.
>>
Play music, do live sound and record bands. I'm fucking poor and mainly living off student benefits & loans. I don't even like live sound to be honest.

Looking for a job in IT right now. Started going to school for it 3 years ago, gonna graduate in a year. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a fun career.

I love photography but I have no interest in trying to make it a job.
>>
>>2886477
Studying journalism right now, so we'll see what happens

>>2889805
>people are bitching and nagging
>bitches and nags about it

wewlad
>>
Studying photography, working as a photographer and retoucher.

So far most of the photography jobs are weddings. I couldn't see myself doing weddings before I started and learned that it was actually a good job: I want to be a journalist when I graduate and weddings are the baby version of real world stress situations.
>>
I snapshit on vacations and weekends when I'm not away on my construction job. Posted a few pictures on /p/ but never got a comment off any
>>
>>2886477
I was considering taking up photography as a hobby actually. It seems like it might be fun and considering the clients I already have from my freelance IT work I could gain a lot of clients that way as well. I have no idea what camera to get though ? Maybe the D3300 from Nikon to start with with the 18-55 kitlens ?
>>
I shoot furniture, it's nice as I don't have to interact with people and stay in shape lifting things.
>>
>>2893804
you should learn what you're doing before you find "clients" you fucking bored housewife
>>
File: 1137-2927.jpg (886KB, 1440x954px) Image search: [Google]
1137-2927.jpg
886KB, 1440x954px
I'm sure this is common knowledge by now.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
>>2894641
This is a thread about how people make money from photography.
You only read the topic line, you fucking retard?
>>
>>2894693
>Do yo u make money elsewhere and snap shit on the side?

faggit
>>
>>2886477

I have found that work comes mostly by word of mouth. Websites, social media, and shit are good to show clients but by the time they get there they are probably already interested in hiring you because someone told them about you.

That said, my bread and butter is real-estate, it is quick and dull work, not very glamours. Few clients give a shit about my fine art work, and are the type who decorate their houses with Ikea poster prints.

I also do some reproduction work for artists who want good shots of their work. I most of these clients in college.

once or twice a year I'll get an interesting project, but it is rare.
Being a photographer is over rated man.
>>
>>2894641
Embarassing crushed blacks, Zucchero.
Also what kind of input is this : "lol everyone knows, this doesn't deserve a tread..."
Not every photographer know how to advertise his work and jump in the pro world. Fuck you again.
>>
File: IMG_0218.jpg (490KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0218.jpg
490KB, 1536x2048px
>tfw everyone can learn to press a button

>never take outside classes beyond school
>never will meter
>never will use studio lights
>never learn to photoshop retouch

I remember hiring an assistant photographer and one of my requirements was proficiency in using the pen tool - no one passed.
>>
>>2896107
You mean the pen tool in PS? Who doesn't know how to draw some fucking lines? The damn thing makes it so easy to make shapes that flow, it practically does all the work for you.

I work in a print lab, photos are my personal projects now but I'd like to make a job out of it, shooting for magazines or something like that.
>>
>>2896113

Exactly, everyone sticks with LR but will never touch PS; people never realize that you have to do know more tools beyond your camera to get the shot you want.
>>
I work an unrelated job to photography and shoot on the weekends/holidays.
>>
>>2896144
To be fair, I learned to use the pen tool when I learned how to do vectoring, in order to make anime wallpapers and other graphic arts stuff. But the pen tool is awesome if you want to create smooth selections of certain areas. In CS6 they even put a "Selection" button in the main dialogue up top. LR only goes so far, I almost always start out doing some basic stuff in LR and then move to PS to finish it up. Do they not teach people how to fucking use photoshop in school?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.