[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

binoculars for stargazing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: FQ2gEr5h.jpg (126KB, 1024x561px) Image search: [Google]
FQ2gEr5h.jpg
126KB, 1024x561px
hi /p/
lately i've been reading a lot about galaxy and astronomy and i like to try some amateur stargazing too.
did any of you guys tried stargazing with binoculars in a city before?was it worth it?
also which binocular you think is better.a 10×25 or 8×32?
>>
binoculars don't have the light gathering for stargazing AFAIK. Get a telescope.
>>
>>2886228

Celestron has some good cheap ones specifically for this.

10x25 and 8x32 are generally going to be poor, as 25 and 32mm don't gather much light. 10x50 is fine.
>>
>>2886228
Binoculars are literally a pain in the neck for Astronomy.

The idea of binoculars for Astronomy is fine (both eyes gives a brighter immersive view) but keeping them steady and viewing comfortably is another matter.

Even with a tripod after a few minutes you will crink your neck. There are elaborate mounts and 45 degree setups using mirrors that help but I don't think they are worth it.

I've owned plenty of binoculars over the years and now have a good quality 20x80mm pair but have pretty much given up on them for Astronomy.

That being said cheap 10x50s are good for hand held casual skygazing and learning to navigate the night sky. Avoid anything that has red "ruby" coatings on the lenses. It's usually there to hide the poor engineering inside.

I'm a city dweller too and binoculars will open up the night sky but don't expect too much. A cheap pair and a planisphere is a great start.
>>
>>2886560
>and learning to navigate the night sky.
This is the one big benefit for starting with binoculars. Stargazing is fun, but actually learning the basics about navigating the sky is huge. I agree that, long term, binoculars aren't the answer, but for learning to navigate I think they're great.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.