[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Focus issue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 11mmTEST.jpg (201KB, 1542x695px) Image search: [Google]
11mmTEST.jpg
201KB, 1542x695px
I seem to have a focus issue with my new Tokina 11-20. It's mounted on a Canon 1000D(XS)

The camera is on a tripod.

The lens is wide open F/2.8, at 11 mm. I manually focused on the T on the box using liveview for the "manual" shot.

Then I manually focus the lens to infinity and let the camera refocus using the center cross point, centered on the T.

I called the shop, they're willing to give me my money back, but they're out of stock. Basically I can't get a replacement any time soon (no competitors either).
>>
So?
Get your refund and use the gear thread next time
>>
>>2882910
Typical backfocus. Most DSLRs have AF microadjustment option for such cases, the PDAF and the AF drive PID loop is not always aligned especially on third party lenses. Do the microadjustment on backfocusing and you will be alright.
>>
>>2882944
1000d doesnt have microadjust
>>
>>2883111
Bummer. Still it looks like backfocus.
Does it also backfocus when you set the focus to close focus and then hit the AF?
>>
>>2883113
Yep it does

I took one shot for reference
Two shots where I set focus to infinity, let it AF
One shot where I set focus to closest, let it AF

The focus was 100% the same, it seems super accurate, just wrongly calibrated

>>2882942
Well I was wondering if that's expected. If another lens was even gonna be better.
>>
>>2883128
Bring the lens and the body in for service, they can adjust the focus issue. I think it is in a service menu.
Or just deal with it and focus manually, shouldn't be a big problem either through liveview or by zone focusing.
>>
>>2883111

Then you're likely going to go through lens after lens before you find a perfect one. If you ever do.

How often are you going to be shooting an 11-20 at 11mm, f/2.8, at that close of a distance for an actual photo? Ever? So often that you can't use LiveView focusing on those occasions?

I own a mark I Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. I owned it for YEARS before I realized it had serious AF issues. Not just back or front focus (which I can adjust on my model DSLR), but inconsistent AF. It will literally jump back, front, correct and do so randomly every time you hit the AF button.

Why did I never see it? Because it's an UWA landscape lens that I shoot at f/8 or f/11. Even when I shoot street (city architecture) handheld at night with it at f/2.8 the distances and DoF are such that it can be "off" yet the image is pixel sharp. I only saw the AF issue when I happened to specifically test for it.
>>
>>2883138
I guess this is what I was wondering.

I was just told an AF test isn't accurate if the target focus point isn't perpendicular to the sensor... So that means I should never expect accurate AF in a real world scenario?
>>
>>2883559
It will be accurate enough in it's own way. I say don't worry too much about it. You can go out and shoot a few scenes, landscape, street, close subjects, compare the results. I think you can still work nicely with the limitations.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.