[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

white border

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: test.jpg (2MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
2MB, 3300x2550px
What's the matter of using white border around a photo? Does it really helps to concentrate on the image or it's just some sort of artistic shit?

Here's photo of mine with white border.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareMicrosoft Windows Photo Viewer 6.1.7600.16385
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:07:10 13:07:23
>>
File: untitled_20151121120532-2.jpg (262KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
untitled_20151121120532-2.jpg
262KB, 1600x1063px
And here's the same one but without the border.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelFinePix X100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:07:10 13:43:58
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness5.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length23.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2880164
Put your trip back on isi.
>>
>>2880166
Don't know any isies.
>>
>>2880164
it doesnt do anything, it just creates an annoying border which takes away from the image
>>
>>2880164
>uneven borders
kys
>>
>>2880169
But somehow it really separates an image from the background. Here on 4chan for example we have this bluish bg.

>>2880172
Did that just for the test in LR print module.
>>
>>2880164
I think it's meant to emulate what a print looks like. Most prints have white borders before they are cut off or the print is out in a frame that hides it.
>>
>>2880194

lol wut? That's not true.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (363KB, 1402x831px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
363KB, 1402x831px
adding a white border makes your image float when viewed in it's own tab

>>2880169
>>2880172
>>2880194
idiots lol
>>
Are you ISI? even if you are. don't use white boarders. they're lame.
>>
File: img094.jpg (566KB, 797x1250px) Image search: [Google]
img094.jpg
566KB, 797x1250px
>>2880164
I use borders on pretty much every image that I share on the web. The reasons for this are many, but here's a few:

I'm a printer, and I always give my printed photos a border. I emulate this in digital sharing with a border.

White borders help give context to the tones of the photograph. Try going into Lightroom and turning on the "Soft Proof" option that turns the background white. You may be surprised by how your perception of the colors and tones changes. It's just like a good matte in a frame.

Many websites have strange backgrounds with different colors and patterns, I find that the border helps give the photo a "float" over anything that may make the sides of the photo harder to interpret.

Finally, I think that borders, of all different colors, sizes, and proportions, can do a lot for the overall tone of the presentation. Thicker borders can give a different feel than thin borders. Giving a color photo a thick colored border can help tie together a color theme.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width5525
Image Height8874
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Horizontal Resolution6400 dpi
Vertical Resolution6400 dpi
Image Created2016:04:27 14:32:23
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width797
Image Height1250
>>
>>2880386
is there a convenient bordered export feature in PS or LR or did you make a template?
>>
>>2880400
I created an action in photoshop. It's important to figure out exactly how wide you want your border, in proportion to the image size. I like a 50px border on my images that are 1200px on the longest side. I have actions that resize the edge to 1200 (one action for horizontal and vertical, since there is no "longest edge" option) Then I have an action for the border: Image->Canvas Size->Check Relative-> add 50px to each side. You can click the actions on individual photos or use File->Automate->Batch to perform them on selected photos.
>>
>>2880400
just make a new file slightly bigger than your image and put your picture into it
>>
>>2880386

Also you're like 20 and have a big ol' crush on isi, so there's that.
>>
File: DSCF0479_v1-4.jpg (595KB, 1250x847px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0479_v1-4.jpg
595KB, 1250x847px
>>2880441
>like 20
ok
>big ol' crush on isi
lol

None of that has any bearing on why someone might want to have a border, or not have one.

Please head on over to the isi thread so you can complain elsewhere, maybe take a photo on your way.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)53 mm
Image Width4952
Image Height3288
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2016:05:19 01:13:45
Exposure Time1/1800 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Brightness10.3 EV
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1250
Image Height847
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2880386

shit was informative, thank u
>>
>>2880466
Different poster here. How do the white borders in this image give "context to the tones"? Because that sounds like hyperbolic art student wank to me. Especially when taken in conjunction with this photo because the tones there are garbage.

It absolutely reeks of a poor digital BW conversion and the slider abuse only makes it worse. I mean shit, just look at the blown out sand compared the highlights you tried to rescue. So what does the white border add to these tones other than an air of pretension?
>>
>>2880918
>digital BW conversion and the slider abuse only makes it worse
Talking of hyperbolic art student wank
>>
It replicates the white spaces that would ideally be around the photo if it was hung in a gallery. Supposedly could help you focus on the image by minimizing clutter on the screen.
I personally hate it, mostly because of isi.
>>
>>2880466
If you want to use a white border here - I'd consider edge burning the bottom a bit. Otherwise,the base of the image gets confusing. It would be better with the colored background of this site without that definition.

Borders were just part of doing business with darkroom prints, with the stages used to make prints.

Managing the tones at the edges was something we thought about a lot more.
>>
>>2880983
you talk with such power of authority, but everyone knows you're just a middleaged leica gearphile
>>
>>2880386
>2011+5
>listening to tripfags
sage goes in all fields
>>
its because traditional silver prints have borders

anything else, e.g. "the image needs space to breathe", is just needless bullshit justification
>>
>>2880164
originally it's because a lot of prints used to have white borders, so a lot of digital images with white borders are out of place, imo i hate it from how much the iphone photography community on instagram appropriated it
>>
>>2881307
fake and gay digital borders were a thing long before iphones existed, megapleb.
>>
>>2880263
only when you use chrome
in firefox safari, opera and so on it's still pretty distracting
>>
>>2880164
Elevates a snapshit to instant art
>>
>>2880405
As stated/implied by others, white borders were a by-product of darkroom printing as the edges of the paper being under the easel sides would not be exposed to light. I always trimmed them off and matted on black to lead or draw the viewer into the image.

Digital images on a web page get floated on different backgrounds that cause the viewer to see colors differently depending on the color of the background.

IMHO, laying in a black border would improve the image view, but IRL I have been too lazy to do it, but now thanks to this Anon, we have a PS Action to automate.

Thanks Anon!
>>
>>2880164
It's tacky.
>>
It's an area to hold without leaving fingerprints.
>>
>>2880993
I'm sorry that you have to go around feeling this insecure. They will drop one day, I promise.

>>2881292
Explain why framers use mattes - other than to charge more? To some degree, borders and framing affect how you see an image. "Digital frames" just got memey and lumped in with sparkle GIFs and selective color.

>>2881507
Just out of curiosity - if the image had a very dark edge, did you keep the white border before mounting or just use a white mount?
>>
File: after dermworx application.gif (937KB, 425x230px) Image search: [Google]
after dermworx application.gif
937KB, 425x230px
>>2883595
>shitting on sparkle gifs

I think you're just afraid to jump in to an untapped marketing scheme. Think about it BJ: this could revolutionize your product photography.
>>
>>2881507
Not sure if you meant to reply to me, but I'm glad you like the automation.
>>
borders look like shit here, deal with it
>>
>>2883619
I'd buy that - my turtle is looking a little dull.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.