[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does the 5d mark ii still take good photos?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 4211402098_0fb53ea128.jpg (78KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
4211402098_0fb53ea128.jpg
78KB, 500x333px
does the 5d mark ii still take good photos?
>>
Nah, it stopped taking good photos like 5 years ago. No one really knows what happened, either. Just one day, poof. Gone.
>>
>>2878907
Same thing happened to mine, mkiii got released and it just stopped worken
>>
I think it died the day the D700 came out
>>
>>2878905
depends what you're going to use it for, OP.
I'll warn you now, that's a big and heavy camera that sticks out wherever you go. If you're planning on street photography or anything where you're shooting handheld and weight is going to be an issue, look at something like the Sony A6000, instead. Canon also draws the attention of thieves.
If you're shooting on a tripod and don't mind lugging around a very large and heavy camera, it might work great. Before you pull the trigger and buy it, make sure you know what lenses you're going to want because that's where you will blow your budget
>>
>>2878910
Funny how canon do dat. Money grubbers
>>
>>2878905
NG used to use it till he got a 5ds earlier this year. It's perfectly fine unless you're going for nightclubs or prioritise low light performance. High-ISO is fine up till 3200 but comparatively it's shit if you're looking at D700, or anything newer.
>>
Forgot to type the name
>>
File: 1449594550111.png (421KB, 412x429px) Image search: [Google]
1449594550111.png
421KB, 412x429px
>>2878917
tfw i just literally sold my 5d2 on ebay and got a d700
>>
>>2879070
>>2878917

Why? Not trolling, just literally can't see why anyone would ever want to switch from a 20mp ff body to a 12mp one?
And please don't say ISO performance, because only an assclown needs more than 1600, and even light that bad should be shot with flash.
>>
>>2879074
>I don't need more than ISO 1600 therefore no one does!
>>
>>2879074
noise, the 5d2 is lovely with video I still like it but it's noisier at it's lowest iso which is 100 than the d700's 200 iso, 20mp is great and all but, I care more about image quality than how much detail i can extract from shadows, I'm also planning on investing in Nikkor glass, already have, will be buying a d810 next year and the 1.8g 20mm nikkor, canon has nothing like it, also cann primes which aren't overly expensive are trash comapred to nikon options, such as voigtlander or some of the nice nikkor glass

speaking of the d810, the canon 5dsR while 50mp, is again... fucking noisy as fuck compared to the d810, sure it can capture more detail but it's ass noisy, nikon really has just got better choices not that I don't like many cabnon products, also the feel of a nikon dslr like my 700 is so much much tougher than the 5d series which feels plastically by comparison, might get the new d500 down the line too, kicks the shit out of the 7d mii
>>
>>2878905
The 5Dii OP it is a fine camera indeed, OP. I use one with a battery grip. I use it not only for street but I also carry it over mountain and dale and rarely use a tripod. Oh and I can be out for 3 or 4 days without having to worry about batteries. You won't last 3 or 4 hours with a Sony so any weight savings you might have gained are squandered with all the extra batteries you'll have to carry. And despite having one of Canon's older AF systems it is still faster than any mirrorless camera on the market today

Yes, I'm afraid >>2878984 is full of shit, if you venture into areas where people steal cameras a Sony is no safer than a Canon any camera is game. If you do find yourself having to defend your investment a swift 5Dii to the side of the head will do considerably more damage to the head than it will to the camera. A sony will not be so robust. As for lenses, well he may have a point ... Sony doesn't offer many choices, with Canon you have room to grow
>>
>>2879074
man even at 1600 there is a noticeable difference, esp. in the shadows and blacks.

>>2879079
I agree with this fella, the 5d2 I bought came with a battery grip, 2 batteries that are all used up, pretty fucking bad condition, but they lasted me 4 days (still running on 92% both of em now, another 4 days later), quite a few of shutter actuations as I was bracketing. Weight isn't a biggy for me, may be for you. I have a bag and shoot landscapes, can carry it fine when hiking /out/.
>>
>>2878905
Yes. Do you?
>>
>>2879077
>noise
niqqa, it's almost double the resolution?!
I shoot a fucking 550D and get usable files at 1600.
I don't understand digiplebs who feel the need to drag fucking HDR illustrations out of their raw files shot in the dark.
Choose to capture the scene in front of you, or choose to light it. File raping is the last refuge of the non-tographer.
>>
>does the 5d mark ii still take good photos?

Nope. 12 months after the 5D Mk III was released, the forced obsolescence function on the PCB kicked in and nuked the image quality on every 5DII in the world.
>>
>>2879098
Well I'll start caring about your opinions when you start actually producing goof images on your hikes "/out/" because you're a prime example of a fat delusional milennial.
>>
No.

Canon built in a timed obsolescence feature as others state.

It created banding and noise in the red channel even at low ISOs, a basic autofocus system without 1,000+ selectable cross-type points, an unacceptably low FPS, weak DxO ratings and no 4K video.

Also, the roman numeral II is lower than III - which means that the III is one better.

The D800 is 798 better and the D800E is 798+E better.

5D2 is old news, brah.
>>
>>2878905
Anon, the original 5d still takes photos that fall into the "really, really, really, really, really good/ fucking amazing photo" category.

The mark II is the next step up from that.

What does that tell you?
>>
>>2879175
>The D800 is 798 better and the D800E is 798+E better.
Top fucking kek.
>>
>>2879077

Let me guess: you're comparing at 100% in PS?

When compared at equal viewing or print size, the 5D2 and D700 are nearly indistinguishable in terms of noise. I would give the D700 a slight edge, but nothing to pick one camera over the other.

They're also pretty damn close on DR (the D700 does not have the infamous Sony tech), with the caveat that the 5D2 has a banding problem when pushing deep shadows.

>speaking of the d810, the canon 5dsR while 50mp, is again... fucking noisy as fuck compared to the d810,

No it's not. Noise and DR edge go to the D810, but not by huge margins. On the flip side, the 5Ds and 5Dsr record more detail, but not by Earth shattering margins that would make one trash a D810.

>might get the new d500 down the line too, kicks the shit out of the 7d mii

LOL no. It is newer and therefore Nikon one upped Canon on a few points. But it does not "kick the shit" out of the 7D2. I do wish Canon would refresh the 7D line sooner rather than later, and give it a huge RAW buffer and a new on-chip-ADC sensor like the 1DX II and 80D have. But it's still a very competent and capable body.
>>
>>2879321
>you're comparing at 100% in PS?

Or on the internet where everyone looks at any interesting photo at 100%?

"Equal viewing or print size" is an obsolete concept.
>>
>>2879155
he had some shots that were neat in his last thread, I remember pink hill one. As for opinions I'm an /out/fag as well so it is good to have that from another.

>>2879175
>>2879098
Hello tripfags, does this red banding thing easy to edit out? On here, some photos are clean so I assume the camera is good for low iso. And t b h the highest I will go is 1600. How is cameras weather sealing, there is lots snow here in Norway and cold.
>>
>>2879335
For got to add, I have 550D and few EF lenses, is it worth the upgrade to 5d mark ii or should I save for 6D. I do no video.
>>
any camera these days takes good photo's, i shoot nikon
>>
>>2879335
>upgrade
I don't know, never used 550D, I assume you're in forest trails so you get lots of animals to shoot alongside landscape, keep the crop.

>banding
Very visible if you push in pp, or shoot high ISO, can't do shadows or blacks for shit :/ or maybe it's just mine. Good weather sealing, been in heavy rain and fog with weather sealed lenses, no damage done at all. Dropped it too, rolled down a rocky mountain a couple of meters, it has dents by the rubber flaps but that's about it, very rugged. Kept out in -2C for half an hour, did fine, I'm sure Norway is colder than that though. If you're /out/ in forest area, no point getting it, there are already lots of better cameras out there. The main reason I bought it was because it was cheap as fuck.

> iso
Did you see the stars/road from my thread? That was 1600, not so clean but defs usable. No noise reduction, again though, there are better cameras out there for ISO > 400

and thanks anon.
>>
>>2878905
Well, i mostly use the 5D mk II for photo and the 5D mk III for video in my profesionnal use. The most important in photography are the lens and light. Don't forget this
>>
>>2879345
Ok thanks omi i remember the star and road photo. Still too much noise to what I get on 550D I think I'll save until for 6D or 7D then it's cheap on eBay and both look rough. I don't mind crop or full frame. yes mostly I'm in forest area but not many animals.
>>
It's a fabulous camera. Yes newer cameras will perform better but it was good when it came out and it's not that it has gotten worse but rather cameras have gotten better. I have no real complaints about it. The only reason I've switched up to a 5Ds is because find myself making 20x30, 24x36, and 40x60 prints which the extra resolution of the 5Ds is very nice for.

Do you have any detailed questions?
>>
>>2879335
It is a picky thing that shows up when you have shadow detail to bring up, especially actual shadows with cooler color temp. It is more a limitation of the camera than an issue you will get in every photo. Bright scenes with shadows are the killer.

But

>>2879362
Is right. I personally think it is the most important digital camera- maybe ever. They sold a ton of them. Was a revolution when it arrived. Had a long life cycle and was used everywhere. Made SLR video a viable commercial alternative. Good enough to be the only camera you ever need for most people and now makes full frame accessible to most any enthusiast on the used market. Hall of fame.
>>
>>2879362
>>2879367
>>2879345
Well since all of your reviews are similar I guess I'll just buy that :) thanks bjdrew omi and natureguy
>>
>>2879328

The fuck you talking about? Nobody is browsing social media looking at 22, 36, and 50 MP images at 100%.
>>
>>2879321
>LOL no
it does tho
>>
>>2879433
m-muh flickr
m-m-muh five hunned pee exxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.