[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone become a free lance photographer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: -DSC6365.jpg (155KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
-DSC6365.jpg
155KB, 600x400px
I am looking to do some freelance work to make some money on the side. I took some pictures for a friend of a house they were selling (they paid me 50 bucks) and it only took an hour.

How do I find work? What skills do I need? Do I just need to know how to take pictures, or do I need to know editing? (I know no photoshop at all). I don't want to look unprofessional. I would kill to make a measly extra 200 bucks a month.

Currently I have a Canon 5D Mark III with these lenses (all manuals):

Nikkor 135mm, 85mm, 35, 50mm, 28-105mm

I probably need more lenses, or at least an auto-focus I bet (they cost so much!).

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1114
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)39 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution2576 dpi
Vertical Resolution2576 dpi
Image Created2012:03:05 16:58:50
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length26.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width600
Image Height400
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2851167
It depends.
>>
Those lenses should be fine for now. You don't NEED autofocus in many cases...though it would probably be best if you want to break the habit of using live view and zooming in to ensure sharpness.
Now obviously some lenses are better than others in regards to sharpness, wide-angle(for interiors, some landscapes) etc. but honestly, don't worry about that shit.

Figure out what you're good at and whether you can do it with what you have. The most important part of paid photography if the confidence that you can get a job done.

You got paid for the house photos, which means that they aren't shit. Perhaps contact real estate agencies about photographing new listings or improving existing ones? Comb through local listings and ask yourself if you can do better. If you can, call the agent...cold calls are the best you can do in the beginning.

You can also consider selling stock...I suggest looking that up on YouTube. Lots of videos on it.

tl;dr you can photograph anything, with anything, and make good money so long as you take the photo well.
>>
>>2851179

I have enough background in film to be able to get the lighting, focus, all good for crisp pictures, even indoors.

But I wouldn't be able to touch up the pictures at all (and for houses I don't see why I would need to). I am not interested in doing glamour shots and crap, but I will do anything for money. I will just let them know ahead of time that I don't color-correct/touch up pictures.
>>
>>2851179
>gear gear gear blah blah, don't worry about it
This.

I know a guy who made over 5k a month with a point-and-shoot. His composition and use of available light was AMAZING, and sold well both to stock companies and private clients, despite the pajeet-tier $200 lower-shelf best buy camera.
>>
>>2851183
>youtube.com
>"HOW TO USE [program] TUTORIAL"
Whatever you can afford, be it Photoshop CC, Lightroom, or some other off-brand freeware garbage. It can be googled, and there is a playlist on YouTube explaining EVERYTHING about it.

Don't let yourself be limited by such stupid obstacles.
>>
>>2851188

It's not that. I just don't have time. I also write scripts, write short stories, and a million other things. I do have all that on my list though. Even an hour a day is hard to spare unfortunately.

Basic photoshop is on my list soon.
>>
If you want to get into it as proper freelancer, editing is going to be a must-have. If you're too busy, either hire an editor or work out your priorities for photography as a business versus the things you do for hobbies (scripts, short storeis, etc.)
>>
did not know that you can use Nikkor on a Canon-body.
>>
>>2851167
>I have a camera worth 3 grand with Nikon F to Canon EOS adapters and manual focusing lenses
>asking for advice on how to make pocket change
this is clearly b8
>>
>>2851202
If you want to make money so badly don't contradict yourself and spend time doing something you're probably not making money from
>>
>set up 3 lights
>shoot portraits for babbies, proms, fb, assorted BS
>make $15k a mo

it's mostly marketing
>>
>>2851171
Underrated
>>
>>2851186
I would love to see his work. Not even doubting you, it just sounds like I could learn a lot from his shots.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.