[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I haven't taken a good photograph in a year lads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

I haven't taken a good photograph in a year lads
>>
>>2812281

get yourself a film p&s. it literally saved my life.
>>
That's fine most people haven't taken a good picture since they started
>>
>>2812286
thats not the problem. they love their photos. anon has a selfsteem crisis.
>>
>>2812281
You definitely need a new camera :^) I recommend Pentax :^)))))))))))
>>
To bad. Sell your camera. Get a hooker.
>>
take a break
only use primes (or stick to a certain focal length on your zoom)
mf only
go somewhere new
shoot some film

good luck anon
>>
>>2812290
This. I hate all my photos because I think I'm bad.
I critique my friend because he asks for it and although he's improving he's still no better than I am. That guy loves some of his photos and looks up to me.

It's all about how you view your own work. I rarely post something that I'm not at least 75% happy with.
>>
>>2812349
You want someone to stroke your ego? Fuck off.

Figure out why you don't like your own photographs. Try some experimental shit like macro or sports or something. Take a break from photography for a little bit. Shoot and develop your own film, and for God's sake get enough exercise.

You're feeling in a rut, and it's probably endemic to your entire life rather than just photo.
>>
>>2812365
>>2812365
>You want someone to stroke your ego?
No. Nowhere did I even imply that I want that. It's probably the opposite of my life view. I don't use flickr/500px/instagram/deviantart/facebook and I don't need approval from others.
>Fuck off.
Rude t b h.

I know why I don't like my own photographs, it's because I want to do better, I want to be better.
My work's too lazy compared to those I look up to.
>Try some experimental shit like macro or sports or something. Take a break from photography for a little bit. Shoot and develop your own film, and for God's sake get enough exercise.
This is awful advice. The only good suggestion is the break.
>You're feeling in a rut, and it's probably endemic to your entire life rather than just photo.
Nice, do I have to pay you for that piece of advice?
For some people, it's just about standards and what they hold themselves to.
>>
>>2812281
Why do you take pictures? What do you want your pictures to do?
>>
>>2812349

Congrats on being self-loathing and narcissistic at the same time
>>
>>2812370

you cant live off your pure personal appreciation of your stuff. we need feedback and to be appreciated by peers.

i think you should tell us whats wrong with your photos, im sure youve given that plenty of thought.
>>
>>2812386
>Congrats on being self-loathing and narcissistic at the same time

thats 99% of all artists, t b q h. why do you think theyre all alcoholics and self abusers.
>>
File: 00mosley2.jpg (23KB, 490x313px) Image search: [Google]
00mosley2.jpg
23KB, 490x313px
>>2812384

Look good
>>
Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.

Ira Glass
>>
Take a trip somewhere. If you're poor, get a bus ticket to somewhere new over a long weekend. If you can afford a little more, fly interstate for a week. If you can save a bit, fly overseas for a month.

Get excited about taking pictures somewhere new - look forward to the trip for a month before and spend time carefully considering what gear to take - hopefully the less the better, but whatever floats your boat.

Spend hours looking at photographs people have shot at your chosen destination and previsualise the kind of shots you intend to get.

Get your sorry backside out of bed early enough to use the good light and lack of people if you're into sights and sites; plan your day around the busiest times for foot traffic if you're into street; hit up local photography forums or Model Mayhem etc, if you're into portraiture.

Get excited about the trip, and then when you're on it you'll be excited by the photographs you take. Get home and don't look at them for a month.

Try that, OP.
>>
>>2812479
I think you can do better than that, OP. Think about aesthetics you like, and find a photographer that encapsulates the styles you like. You'll eventually touch on something that resonates with you, even if you can't put it into words.
>>
>>2812370
>I know why I don't like my own photographs, it's because I want to do better, I want to be better.

This is a huge issue for all creative people. It really messed up my drawing/painting progress for years. Now that I'm 28 I just start to figure this shit out.
As long as you have some aesthetic standards and some taste, god forbid some education on understanding composition/art you will see that your work is lacking, you will never be satisfied with your pieces. With drawing and painting it's much worse because it often takes more thatn a day to finish a piece and I ended hating and abandoning mid work many times. I have no real advice for you besides that you need to embrace that your work is shit and you wont be satisfied now. Because you just know better. And that's good, that makes you grow. But for fuck's sake - learn to focus on something else than that or it will destroy you creatively. Focus not on making a good photo but on learning, developing a certain skill, trying something new out. Don't expect good results because you know you won't like it already. Just focus on other aspects, take a chill pill and wait untill your hobby becomes your hobby again and you can get some pleasure out of it. If your case is anything similar to mine it will get better.
>>
>>2812925
Oh and I forgot maybe the most important thing:
Comparing yourself to other artists is setting impossible standards to yourself. Just fucking stop it. That shit is toxic as fuck, trust me. It can lead to a complete creative block. It's ok to look for inspiration but if you can't do it without constantly going "aw man, he's so much better than I am, I will never be that good what's even the point" then take a break from internet and looking at art for a while.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.