[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D3300 Manual Focus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: where_r_u_goin.jpg (909KB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
where_r_u_goin.jpg
909KB, 6000x4000px
Can anyone give me advice on focusing manually with this camera? It's a bit different than with a SLR especially since the AF-S 35/1.8 I use doesn't have a focusing ring.

Why bother? Sometimes AF is too slow, I'd like to just walk around at f11 and just know that everything in the shot is in focus.

Related, is it worth buying AF-D lenses? How about older ones that will fit the mount?

Thanks. Sorry if this question didn't warrant a new thread.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern804
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:13 05:20:13
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: unusual.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
unusual.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
>>2791712
>Nikon
>manual focusing on an entry level body
Well, there's your problem.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:03:14 16:30:26
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width500
Image Height500
>>
File: drunkbrosingingkeithsweat.jpg (917KB, 4537x3630px) Image search: [Google]
drunkbrosingingkeithsweat.jpg
917KB, 4537x3630px
>>2791725
That's what I'm sayin, they don't make it easy. Wondering if I should just autofocus on something 10 feet away or so then switch it to manual.

Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Image Created2016:03:13 05:51:29
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating1400
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2791712
manual focus with a dslr is a pain, even with manual focus lenses

try using back button af
>>
>>2791733
I have trouble with back button because I use my left eye to look through the viewfinder, and especially when I'm wearing glasses, it's hard to get to.

Is it possible to lock the back button for an extended period of time or do you have to continuously hold it down?
>>
I have the same problem with my 3200
>>
> Walk around at f/11 so everything is in focus.

Do it, then, you incompetent. M or A mode, set focus at 10 feet, done.

Manual focusing on an entry level dslr... Good luck without DOF preview, which your camera doesn't do.
>>
>>2791728
The bike in that image looks like it's soft because of motion blur not missed focus.
>>
Use an AF lens, use the distance scale on the lens, or learn to live with the focusing screen you have.
>>
>>2791712
>AF-S 35/1.8 I use doesn't have a focusing ring.
Sure it does, it just doesn't have a distance scale.
> Sometimes AF is too slow
No, it isn't. You're too slow. Unless you're jumping from near to far, the center point on a D3300 is dependable enough and certainly better than fiddling with manual focus on a crop body with pentamirror prism.
> I'd like to just walk around at f11
Like the others say, just do it. f8 and be there.
>is it worth buying AF-D lenses? How about older ones that will fit the mount?
AF-D lenses feel like ass to manually focus. Also the 35/2D isn't as good as the 35 DX optically. Using a 35/2 AIS on my D3100 isn't great either; either I'm praying to the zone focusing gods, or I'm missing critical focus entirely.
>>
File: scottnaaliyah.jpg (874KB, 4435x3168px) Image search: [Google]
scottnaaliyah.jpg
874KB, 4435x3168px
>>2792325
>>2792282
so i'll just autofocus on something ~10 feet away then flip the lens into manual? seems like good advice

btw when i say slow i mean the AF will hunt in low light and sometimes that few seconds makes the difference.

are there any older lenses you'd recommend? i wouldn't mind picking up something a bit wider. tokina 11-16 is on my radar but i'm curious if there are any older ones that are worthwhile.

Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Image Created2016:03:14 01:01:56
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2791712
>>2792363

learn to use it then famiglia. it's fucking 2016 mate you should know better than to blame your equipment

the DX 35mm f/1.8G is M/A, meaning automatic with manual priority
so when you half-press the shutter you should give it a second to hunt, and if it doesn't find it should be at least focused somewhere near your target. you can then finish focusing manually (also as soon as you turn the ring you can shoot)

it's also good to turn on the rangefinder in the settings so you can focus manually with more precision
also remember to use the center point and, if you want, AF-C so it's continuously tracking your subject and it doesn't lock the shutter (AF-S will keep hunting until your subject is static)
>>
>>2791712
>>2792363

this is the AF system on the D3300. same as the one in the D200 plus 2014 processing capacity but less features, I mean come on it's an entry level body

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Nikon+Multi-CAM+1000

read
>>
>>2792968
I'm not blaming the equipment, I think the d3300 is fantastic for what I spent; I'm a noob and trying to learn how to use it better. Either way I appreciate your advice.

>>2792975

I'm not sure what your point is
>>
>>2792363
I think you should practise holding the camera steady or use a faster shutter speed.
1/40 is a bit slow for people, even if they're still. Try 1/80 to 1/125
>>
>>2792980

sorry for being straight-forward I meant for you to read a bit more about how it works and you'll get a better grasp on how to use it better

for instance >>2791712, if you've used the standard settings (single-point AF and AF-S) you should've focused with whatever AF point you want to focus on, on a target with high contrast (such as the pizza in her hand) and then recomposed the shot or whatever
why? all points other than the centre one perform mostly contrast detection, only the centre point can really resolve proper phase detection AF in low-light

another example, here >>2791728 you should've used the 3D-tracking AF-area mode with AF-C focus mode again with whatever point you wanted
why? because the 3D mode does a splendid job in calculating movement and predicting correct focus for moving targets using all points available

don't be fooled mate the D3300 is a beast, sometimes we take things for granted nowadays eh
>>
>>2792363

this one you just straight up fucked up though

another tip, turn on auto-ISO (you can easily find it in the shooting menu) and set your minimum shutter speed to something such as 1/60 sec and maximum ISO to 6400. you can then use aperture mode (A) as if it was program (P) and "control" ISO and depth of field with the dial

with ISO 6400, f/1.8 and 1/60 sec you can shoot up to EV 2 (that's dark as fuck, night streets are EV 5 or 6 or something)
but on the other hand you lose a bit of dynamic range
and you don't have to worry, 6400 is good enough to print up to 8" by 10"

pretty neat eh
>>
>>2793006

for instance, this one is EV 3, and you used ISO 1600, f/2.2 and 1/25 sec, and you got some camera shake in your shot

if you were using the settings I said here >>2791712 you'd just need to adjust aperture to f/1.8 (don't be afraid to shoot wide open the DX 35mm is fucking decent), you'd have these settings: f/1.8, 1/60 sec, ISO 3200

so half the blur I guess
>>
>>2793017

ah I done fucked the reference
>>
>>2792982
>>2792993
>>2793006
Slick, thanks for the input anon(s).

Btw I usually keep focus settings on AF-A and auto-area AF. Is that a mistake? I've never really tried 3d tracking.

As far as prints, will 6400 iso look good in color at 8"x10" or just black + white? Either way that's awesome, I've been paranoid about going over 1600 iso, probably looking too much into the noise in LR.

I'll go out and take some more pics after dark, we'll see if I've learned anything.
>>
>>2793017
good point. i'm mad that i fucked up these portraits (>>2792387) but trading cigarettes to learn a lesson is well worth it
>>
File: dontleturgoodgirlgobad.jpg (400KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
dontleturgoodgirlgobad.jpg
400KB, 1000x667px
Went out to smoke and took this. Actually looks pretty good for such a high iso, color me surprised

Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:03:14 20:59:56
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating6400
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: 01.jpg (22KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
22KB, 480x270px
>>2791736
I don't know how it is on nikon but it auto-focuses while the button is pressed. As soon as you let go, it's manual again.

You don't even need to focus on the subject.
Let's take the blurry bike pic. If you know where your subject is going to be, point the camera at the ground where they're about to be, press the button until it's in focus, then wait until the subject enters the frame and take the shot.
>>
>>2793161
>actually looks pretty good for such a high iso
well it was taken at night after all
it is nice tho
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.