/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here do back button focusing? I just started trying it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (121KB, 1700x1378px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 1700x1378px
Anyone here do back button focusing? I just started trying it out and I'm not did if I like it yet.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D40
Camera SoftwareVer.1.10
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern690
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2011:07:20 20:01:18
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Subject DistanceInfinity
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2722444
Not sure*

Damn phone
>>
>>2722444
Yes.
>>
I do, and I love it.
What is your subject material?
>>
>>2722491
Street and portrait
>>
File: Eaglesm.jpg (395KB, 1000x799px) Image search: [Google]
Eaglesm.jpg
395KB, 1000x799px
I never on a 40.
But on Nikons this is what got me to start using BB focus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzqQskGoURE

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5100
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.6.10
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern12246
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)315 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:03:30 20:58:15
Exposure Time1/1600 sec
F-Numberf/5.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length210.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width0
Image Height0
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used100
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeAF-A
Flash SettingNORMAL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested100
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon G Series
Lens Range55.0 - 300.0 mm; f/4.5 - f/5.6
Shooting/Bracketing ModeTimer/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations12724
>>
I use it...love it. U can focus and keep shooting as long as your subject doesn't move a lot forward or backward... Lets the shutter button be a shutter button and reduces blur due to camera movement when the lens focuses.
>>
I love it. Much more convenient for continuous focus especially, though it functions pretty much like single, continuous, and manual all at once. I haven't changed my focusing mode from continuous even once ever since I got used to back button focusing.
>>
>>2722444
The first time I missed a moment because my camera didn't think it had locked focus and wouldn't release the shutter, I changed to back button focus and have never ever gone back. One button controlling two vital functions seems like a bad idea to me.
>>
>>2722444
I started doing it recently because I got sick of the camera re-focusing every time I went to press the shutter button.
>>
>>2722596
On some cameras you can tell the camera to take shots as fast as possible regardless of perceived focus confirmation. I like back button AF a lot though. Also helps me not accidentally take shots on my F100.
>>
>>2722617
Yes I know this is a feature, but even if you leave the focus where you want it, and then let go and wait for your moment, the second you try to press your shutter to take the photo, the AF starts racking again to try to re-lock, and a lot of times, it'll throw focus off of where it was set, and now you're told the camera to release the shutter anyways, so the camera actively fucks your focus and then releases the shutter.

It's just not the best way to do things. Especially in complex light where the camera really hunts for a while before locking in.
>>
6 years doing photography as a hobby and I didn't even know this was a thing.
Thanks OP for mentioning it, this is dope.
>>2722570
Thanks for the link, this is great.
>>
>>2722570
I like that he mentioned it sucks when you first start using it, trying to get used to it. I'm experiencing that somewhat so hopefully it gets better. The benefits definitely seem worth it.

I've always manually focused, and didn't like AF mostly due to issues that back button focusing seems to resolve. Manual focus just seemed quicker in most situations. Maybe now I can take advantage of my camera's impressive AF!
>>
>>2722661
>6 years doing photography as a hobby and I didn't even know this was a thing.

You never wondered what that very conveniently placed button next to your thumb was for?
>>
The GR has a separate focus button for a different focusing mode. It's excellent and I use it all the time
>>
BBF is absolutely based, and removes the need for AF-S mode (unless you want to shoot focus priority, but now you have a separate mode dedicated to focus priority). it's 100% natural to use on my F100. you don't have to think about focusing, you just hammer the thumb down while you track, and concentrate on shutter technique.

on my consumer tier nikons, however, the ae/af-L button is too far away from the natural thumb position to use as seamlessly on the f100. this makes me sad.
>>
>>2722765
I did, I use it sort of regularly-ish for exposure lock.
And I do use it for sports and shit, like having it in continuous focus, then find a spot, lock it, and so on.
But it never occurred to me to use it like it has been commented here or in the video, as in... af-lock by depressing the button, and as a standard way of doing it everyday.
>>
>>2722661
No problem, link helped me a lot.
>>2722745
I mostly was shooting nature at the time I saw the vid. But after like a day of shooting with back button AF I never went back. Most of my lenses have a MF override that I can fine tune with a touch of a finger, but I only use in a very few situations.
>>
>>2722444
I use it all the time now. It took me quite a while to get used to it as I was so used to the shutter release activating the focus I would forget to press the back button.

To develop the muscle memory to do it I spent ages photographing random moving things (birds, cyclists). After a while you don't think about it.
>>
I'm trying to do it on my camera, but on AI SERVO it seems to have trouble focusing on very low-light subjects, whereas ONE-SHOT will focus on those same low-light subjects just fine? (using Canon 70D)
>>
I'd like to try it, but my camera doesn't have a back button focus setting, only exposure lock or some stupid shit, and that exposure lock doesn't even work when in Manual mode, the fuck? Whatever. Back to holding the shutter half-pressed indefinitely, because that's fun.
>>
Back button focus, and remap DoF preview button to AI servo

winrar
>>
>>2724395
Can't it be modified to be AF-ON?
If it's a Nikon then it can be.
>>
It's absolutely based and should come as default (or at least advertised more). Seriously, I hate it how DSLRs come in the box wired to be expensive p/s cameras. They're literally designed for full manual control as a feature, so why not make that a priority everywhere. It would also finally force all the tards that shoot full auto to finally figure the camera out because it wouldn't even work properly at first
>>
>>2724395
>that exposure lock doesn't even work when in Manual mode, the fuck?

Why the hell would it work in manual mode?

And like >>2724475 said, you can re-program it as AF-ON.
>>
>>2724395
What camera do you have?
>>
>>2723244
That's two variables.
AI Servo vs One Shot
and
Shutter button focus vs Back button focus

Are you saying that when you switch it to back button focus, AI-S doesn't work as well as One Shot, but while you're on Shutter button focus, AI-S works just as well as One Shot?

Or just complaining about AI-Servo mode in general?
>>
>>2724515
Sony e70
its the best
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.