[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

not a gear or a recent photo thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 21

File: image.jpg (31KB, 258x386px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 258x386px
if your photographs have no coherent and defensible theoretical framework behind them, they can never be anything more than snapshits. it's the existence - or lack thereof - of this sort of onto-photographic Begriffsschrift that separates an artist-photographer from a tourist with a camera slung around his neck.

so tell me, /p/, which writers and thinkers are most influential in your work? what are the ideas driving your output? let's chat about this stuff.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width405
Image Height600
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2013:01:20 02:06:15
Color Space InformationUnknown
Image Width258
Image Height386
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
I believe that God is the most influential writer and thinker in my work. The idea that God has made something beautiful drives my output and I always try to include Him in my photos to remind us (which sometimes even includes myself) that this isn't all there is.
>>
btw im especially interested to hear from the people recently calling me a shitposter whose photos are a waste of paper ;^)
>>
>>2703025
Why don't you prove them wrong by posting a decent photo instead?
>>
>>2703025
So your ego is so large you need to start your own thread for people to discuss your shit photos with you?
>>
> ideas driving your output
There's a hundred-thousand streets in this city. You don't need to know the route. You give me a time and a place, I give you a five minute window. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything happens a minute either side of that and you're on your own. Do you understand?
>>
>>2703024
given that a photograph is naturally reductive of the Real, particularly by elimination of everything invisible in perception, how do you attempt to include God in the objects you produce
>>
>>2703029
its a joke, I just happen to think that /p/ could really benefit from some theory threads replacing gear thread/recent snapshots thread no. x

i'm 100% serious about what I said in the OP though
>>
>this sort of onto-photographic Begriffsschrift that separates an artist-photographer from a tourist with a camera slung around his neck.

I probably put the most thought into my holiday snaps, actually. To me, I'm documenting what I perceive to be the essence of the place I'm in. All of the choices I make are derived from this notion.
>>
>>2703034
have you read kracauer? he was very concerned with stuff like this - the idea that people attempt to use photography to supplant memory as a recording of something's "essence," and that the format's limitations meant that the idea of memory itself was being challenged in a certain way. you may be interested in checking out his writings on photography.
>>
>>2703018
My work isn't really influenced by writer or thinker or philosophy. I'm much more shallow than that, in that I want to capture the subjects that interest me, in the visual style of the artists that make photos that I enjoy. I try to pick what I like, and light/shoot/process to somewhat ape what I enjoy out in the world already.

I'm certainly not advancing photography, or being innovative, but as a hobby, it makes me happy.
>>
>>2703032
The warmth of living in God's sight, God's grace bestowed upon the land. You can see it and feel it in the undefiled beauty of nature.

Some have said that nature itself is an ineffable manifestation of God.

Do you see God in this painting? That's what the painter painted.
>>
>>2703040
I assume this is true of most of /p/, but there must also be people on here who consider what they do serious "creating art" of some sort rather than just a hobby - and I'm interested to see what ideas they have about that art.
>>
>>2703045
Even though you're trolling, I think this is still totally legit to discuss.

Even traditional Christian painting relies on motifs and imagery to communicate sanctity or God's presence, so I think if your artistic aims are to represent God you need do more than the most simplistic possible landscape photo. Again, it's supremely reductive and I'd make the argument that it would actually remove the viewer from God's presence more than if he just looked up from your representation of the Real to the Real itself.... a photo is a tracing (to use Deleuzean terminology) one step removed from reality, and is therefore wholly inadequate to represent anything of the sacred.
>>
im influenced by Borges

also, nice tread, cumgobbler
>>
>>2703018
Good question.

For me to answer it I had to think what drives my photography, as I try not to imitate any other artist or draw influence from other photos. Instead I frequently go over my own catalog of around 20k images and decide what elements from different photos I took the most pleasure from or resonated with what I find aesthetically interesting or pleasing.

This slow and self critical methodology would closest, i think, relate to Nietzsche's brand of nihilism; that we have our whole lives to be excellent at something and cannot expect our best results until late in life.
>>
I'm influenced by the Deleuzian concept of the inbetween becomings, manifest in both subject and topia
>>
>>2703052
ya

Ok if most of yall can't discuss theory seriously, why dont you list a couple influential photographers you like

Here's four of mine, off the top of my head and in no particular order:
atget
nakahira
tichy
frank
>>
>>2703061
how is that process reflected in the aesthetic content of your photo objects themselves? would you share a couple on here so we can see?
>>
I like to pick one book and really sink my teeth into it.
Lately it's Under the Volcano which means I get incredibly drunk and stumble into situations that might get me killed.
Use a camera with good AF or set hyperfocal with a wide lens beforehand.
>>
>>2703072
this is where one line of thought has taken me, whenever I go out with my camera I try and apply what things I like to the environment I'm in.

The image in the top left was one I took because of the hobo dude, but enjoyed because of the geometry and simple shapes, which lead to me trying to explore that notion, which you can see in the rest of that column.

each column is a progression of that initial attraction and I've built on the initial geometry by adding a focus on simple block colours, brought about by experimenting with a coloured polariser seen on the image at the top of the 2nd column.

The tree photo in the third column showed me that simple shapes can be found in much more natural settings; repetition and pattern also became more of a focus as I realised the strength in the tree photo lies in the repeating shapes of the branches.

I'm fairly happy with what I am seeing with my progress in this style, and the more I look for the type of images that fit this idea, the easier they are to find.
>>
File: 0292.jpg (1MB, 1920x1971px) Image search: [Google]
0292.jpg
1MB, 1920x1971px
>>2703113
wrong pic
>>
>>2703066
Uncle Terry
Emmet Green
Ed Templeton
Atiba
You
>>
funny enough I just checked the mail and look what arrived after I posted this thread! what a le coincidence!!

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 5s
Camera Software9.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2015:11:12 18:00:43
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness9.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: IMG_1695.jpg (139KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1695.jpg
139KB, 600x800px
>>2703125
oops that file was way huge

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 5s
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image Width2448
Image Height3264
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2015:11:12 18:30:09
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness9.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length4.15 mm
Image Width600
Image Height800
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2703018
>if your photographs have no coherent and defensible theoretical framework behind them, they can never be anything more than snapshits. it's the existence - or lack thereof - of this sort of onto-photographic Begriffsschrift that separates an artist-photographer from a tourist with a camera slung around his neck.

This is pseudo-intellectual babble. Art was around long before Art or Philosophy Departments, before the colleges and universities that house them. It was around before galleries and museums and rich cunt collectors who only want it add value to their estate.

Primitive man was expressing himself quite eloquently on the walls of caves probably long before he had invented enough words to form a sentence. He didn't need a "coherent and defensible theoretical framework." He painted what he felt, he painted from his own experience .... like tourist with some leaves and berries and bones.
>>
Why do photographers have to be influenced by other photographers, or even by the same sensory medium?

I try to convey the same grandeur I feel when I listen to certain pieces of music. Here are a couple I find particularly inspiring:

https://youtu.be/fW00bC-zadg
https://youtu.be/KdELzBV9pyo
https://youtu.be/LsnFvEQYJPU
https://youtu.be/2F9LFRuLi9w
>>
>>2703138
This.
OP is a heroin addict, though, so he's prone to a certain mindset.
>>
>>2703138
lol I bet this sounded great when you wrote it. Except that your "counterexample" doesn't even remotely contradict my post. I didn't say "you must slavishly obey some philosopher or other to be an artist," I said "you must operate based on internally consistent guiding principles."

In fact, cave art is literally used as an example time and time again in semiotics because it's an instance of simple art with straightforward and logical guiding principles. In Saussurean terms it's pure denotation: the drawing of the mammoth is the signifier, the mammoth itself is the signified.

What makes this even fucking funnier is that my own work is heavily inspired by that sort of simplicity. I detest the smug irony with which most of the "great photographers" of the 19th & 20th centuries approached their work. But it just so happens that learning art history, and critical theory, and philosophy, and all the other trappings of the current art establishment is the best way to actually produce works contrary to the grain and be able to speak in support of your efforts without stomping your feet and pointing at the cavemen, whom I suspect will not appear to speak on your behalf.
>>
>>2703170
The way I saw the question was do qualities that we all have defined by philosophers, reflect in our approach and/or results in photography.

The other guy is just being a dick because he realised his work was shallow and pedantic.
>>
>>2703163
Because unless you are blind, you have certainly been influenced by visual art whether you like it or not. Post some of your photographic work inspired by the grandeur of musical pieces and I bet it will look similar to other visual art representative of grandeur.

>>2703169
sorry buddy, did I use the big words and scare you? next time I'll try to keep it Simple English Wikipedia level. good luck chief.
>>
>>2703174
>I bet it will look similar to other visual art representative of grandeur.
Yeah, it probably does, but that doesn't mean that's what inspired me.
>>
>>2703177
I'm definitely not saying you're lying! I believe that music is what inspired you.

But I do think that some manner of visual media *influenced* you on at least some subconscious level, which is what you denied in your original post.
>>
>>2703180
Okay yeah, I agree with that, but we can't really have a thread talking about subconscious influences, can we?
>>
>>2703182
Actually, I'd be pretty interested to see your photographs and compare them to both the music that directly inspired them and the sorts of visual motifs they may have unconsciously incorporated. You should post or link some stuff!
>>
>>2703174
>sorry buddy, did I use the big words and scare you? next time I'll try to keep it Simple English Wikipedia level. good luck chief.
Literati Self Delusion Principle
>>
What a young white establishment male thread this is.
>>
>>2703187
Thanks for your addition to what could be an artistically deep thread, on a supposedly artistically aligned board! Glad you've discovered how easy it is to be aloof and tear others down. Now you should try the next step, which is contribution!
>>
File: melancholy (woodcut) (munch).jpg (61KB, 427x384px) Image search: [Google]
melancholy (woodcut) (munch).jpg
61KB, 427x384px
>>2703186
>>2703187
lol
dude if you dont want to talk art dont go on an art board, not sure what your master plan is here.
>>
>>2703192
You're not really talking about art.
You're talking about talking about art to give yourself credence.
>>
>>2703196
you're right that there isn't much talking about art itt right now, and the reason is that people are doing nothing but shitting things up by arguing about the thread's justification. all I want is for people to post their photos and talk about their artistic processes. I'll start if I have to, but then people like you will just jump on me for being "full of myself" and "starting this thread just to talk about my own work."
>>
>>2703197
Shut the fuck up and start it then, you passive aggressive twit, we're 40 posts in and you haven't even fulfilled your own objectives.
>>
I would say Cormac's The Road and Blood Meridian have inspired me to seize the day.
>>
>>2703198
...what?

>You can't even finish a sentence because I keep interrupting you! You suck! Why don't you just fucking ignore me fucking shitposting and do something good for the board like you've been trying to do since literally the first post in this thread! fuck you! I'm a shitty asshole and it's your fault!
-Translated by Bing!
>>
>>2703202
>implying I am literally preventing him from posting his own photos and explaining his own answer to the proposed question
lol
>>
>>2703114
where is your flickr?
>>
>>2703203
>he sucks because he won't even ignore me shitting all over his thread! What a faggot! NOT shitposting isn't even an option for me that I could ever consider! IT'S HIS FAULT.
-Translated by Bing!
>>
>>2703205
You genuinely think I'm shitposting more than you right now, don't you?

I want to see the strongly opinionated OP fulfill his own demands before I do the same. It's only common courtesy.
>>
File: church.jpg (227KB, 1280x844px) Image search: [Google]
church.jpg
227KB, 1280x844px
>>2703198
fine, ass.

photography is obviously a visual format much more closely tied to the Real than other traditional visual arts, but it's also a format specifically created with self-reproduction in mind. this is stuff that Benjamin was writing about in the early 20th century.

it can also be interpreted many different ways based on the subjective experiences of the viewer, since it is a reductive format easily interpreted w/ Saussurean/Barthesian signs & denotation/connotation. a photo of a tree may represent some platonic tree, but a million meanings can be extrapolated from that based on the subjective experiences of the viewer.

since I'm interested particularly in exploring the fractal, self-replicating aspects of photography, my goal is to remove subjectivity and produce photos as objective as possible. one such technique is to produce objects which are physically difficult to interpret or to connect to reality. it was this sort of technique (removal of context and form) which made atget attractive to the surrealists. atget is also admirable because he created works designed specifically to supplant the Real, a very post-structualist concept ("documents pour artistes"). i want to produce photos which are objects descriptive of themselves & distinct from the Real (something like hyperreality a la Baudrillard).

if that's not talking about my personal approach to photography idk what is

Vertical Resolution2400 dpi
Image Created2014:05:26 23:37:47
Image Width2179
Image Height1436
>>
>>2703207
i'm not particularly strongly opinionated by the way, I just think that you ought to have some sort of goal when making pictures. otherwise you're not really producing a cohesive body of work.
>>
>>2703210
how does any of that relate to this blurry out of focus shot of nothing
I literally can't even tell what I'm looking at.
I think you need to over-intellectualize things a lot less, and focus on what your photos actually look like a lot more, unless you actually think people are going to read a thesis for every photo you take.
>>
I would say Tim Birkhead and properly also John Marzluff.
>>
>>2703213
Why is a body only cohesive if its glued together by some philosophical mumbo-jumbo you've used to justify why your photos are technically lacking?

Why can't it be cohesive simply for employing common visual themes? Cohesive points of view and editing styles?

Why is everything you post justification for art, and so little of it actual art? Good visual art does not need a thesis statement, even if it might be improved by it
>>
>>2703207
>You genuinely think I'm shitposting more than you right now, don't you?
How many inflamatory off topic posts do you have in the thread? I now have 3.
>>
>>2703214
>MUH COMPOSITION
>Not made with over 1000 dollar worth of gear? >Into the trash with it!
>>
>>2703210
This is bait, right?
>>
>>2703214
>>2703217
we are no longer living in the 19th century.

it sounds to me like your issue isn't with my work in particular, but with the fact that the art world in general has moved beyond making pretty pictures and on to exploring interesting ideas.

anyway, if your art is tied together by pleasing aesthetics then it sounds like you DO have a cohesive concept - an emphasis on aesthetics. it just so happens that that idea is not particularly cutting edge any more.

>>2703222
read a book dogg
>>
>>2703218
One less than you, until this one-
faggot
>>
>>2703223
>read a book dogg

https://youtu.be/OjO0QVuZcE8
>>
File: texplainthejoke[1].jpg (130KB, 674x510px) Image search: [Google]
texplainthejoke[1].jpg
130KB, 674x510px
>>2703223
>read a book dogg

That's not the issue, I'm just not a fan of your pseudo-intellectual bs. You typify everything wrong with contemporary art in my opinion. You seem to be the sort of artist engages what I tend to think of as intellectual masturbation, someone who retreats into intensely personal symbolism, iconography, or theory to the point that you exclude any viewer who doesn't first take the time to listen to you prattle on for a few paragraphs. All too often (but not always, so I'll refrain from jumping to conclusions in your case) this happens in an effort to disguise a lack of actual talent or inspiration.

The problem is that nobody is going to feel anything upon viewing your art. You have to explain it, or at least explain your theoretical frameworks for them to 'get it'. There is no visceral reaction, only a slow, dull intellectual reaction after the fact - if the viewer reacts at all. As I think someone earlier in the thread already stated, good visual art does not need a thesis statement, even if it might be (and I would say is likely to be) improved by it.

The fact that your VISUAL art is literally worthless outside of the context of you VERBALLY or TEXTUALLY explaining it, is a problem. The art is worthless on its own, and honestly not worth much more within the context of your intellectual frameworks, since not only are those frameworks bland, non-compelling, and uninteresting, but the way you have chosen to express them is equally bland, non-compelling, and uninteresting.

So no, the problem isn't the fact that you're not making "pretty pictures", it's that your ideas are uninteresting, and you "explore" them in uninteresting ways.
>>
>>2703223
There's nothing cutting edge about 2deep4u modern art, either.
The art world has moved beyond being relevant at all. Just commodity. The art with the most to say this generation has nothing to do with the art establishment, it's coming from outside of it.
>>
>>2703232
So fucking much this.
>>
>>2703018
I only really read books with pictures and numbers in.

"I paint what cannot be photographed, that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence.": Man Ray
>>
File: plant.jpg (226KB, 1000x740px) Image search: [Google]
plant.jpg
226KB, 1000x740px
>>2703232
Thanks for writing this out! This is a much better post than the rest of this thread imo. I understand if you don't think my work is particularly evocative, but the fact is that aesthetics is not something I put particularly strong emphasis on when making photographs. I didn't make this thread so that everyone will love my work, I'm posting in the hopes of inspiring some discussion.

Although, one thing to note: the background information I'm providing here ought to be common knowledge for anyone familiar with modern art. It's nothing that would need to be explained this in-depth to, say, a gallery owner or magazine editor. The reason I'm posting it is *because* people here ought to know this stuff, and they don't.

>>2703233
You're right - this isn't cutting edge. But it's a lot more cutting edge than the usual discourse on /p/, which is generally stuck in a mode where the only consideration is composition and gear. People on here really ought to consider this sort of thing, because screaming "pretentious" at the first whiff of modern art is a sure way to be dismissed as immature and ignorant anywhere but 4chan and Reddit.

Horizontal Resolution208 dpi
Vertical Resolution208 dpi
Image Created2015:01:30 14:59:22
Image Width1000
Image Height740
>>
>>2703185
I don't really curate my Flickr, I just use it to dump photos of things I don't want to forget. I'm working on condensing things down into a set. But sure, pre-emptive defenses aside, here are my photos:

flickr.com/jikklor
instagram.com/jurphy_
>>
File: long.jpg (52KB, 600x298px) Image search: [Google]
long.jpg
52KB, 600x298px
>>
>>2703197
I had already started... You didn't have the courtesy to reply.
>>
>>2703204
I don't have one. As I said, I've got another 40 years to go before I can confidently say whether my work has any value.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147KB, 1500x1500px
>>2703018
>get a load of this plebtrician
>implying you need a philosopher's influence to produce good photography

Life is the world's greatest poet
>>
File: TheFather.jpg (442KB, 1516x1241px) Image search: [Google]
TheFather.jpg
442KB, 1516x1241px
Depending on the type of photography you shoot, I think the 'framework' behind your photographs can for the most part be added retroactively. If you shoot street, then a lot of your shots will be down to luck and not because you are seeking to shoot something specific.

Though if you actively set up your shots in a studio or wherever, then i guess you can't help but either imitate other artists or be influenced by ideas of academics or intellectuals you know or enjoy.

That being said, at the moment I've been reading some Barthes some Bázin, Laura Mulvey, Semiotic Theory. But I don't think they're 'influencing' me in the sense you mean. More that it helps my analysation and honestly appreciation of photography in general, and I guess helps me be more selective in the shots that I take and the ones that I discard.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Image Created2015:11:08 17:24:29
Image Width1516
Image Height1241
>>
>barthes
>reading what a french charlatan has to say about a field he knows shit about

wew lads

its like reading the horoscope for astronomy knowledge.
>>
>>2703114
>>2703113

Thanks for sharing this,
I was about to start taking the piss because you're moopco, but you put forward your approach non pretentiously and have a body of work that is clearly thematic and improving. Why do people have such a problem with you again?
>>
>>2703387
>people

fyi just the dyed hair daddy issues girl and the whiteknight order
>>
>>2703037
I haven't, I'll have to give it a look. I imagine it's related to hyperreality - how fiction is derived from reality, but also comes to influence our perception of it.
>>
>>2703388
Don't forget the pretentious know-it-alls who want to shit on everybody, either because they're jealous, or because they never shoot (and therefore have no sympathy for people actually taking risks and making mistakes).
>>
>>2703386
Bait?

Attacking the personal attributes of the guy who argued the death of the author? Can't tell if serious.
>>
>>2703123
ay m8 you a skate photographer too?
Check out Grant Brittain
>>
I like making pretty pictures. and reading theodor adorno
>>
>>2703032
I found your comment very interesting. Can you recommend any reading on the reductive nature of photography?
>>
I don't see a middle aged asian dad on vacation with a D3300 in a fanny pack as any less of a photographer than anyone else. If you're taking pictures, you're a photographer. The widespread availability and ease of cameras has given rise to an arbitrary and needless imaginary wall between "artists/pros" and people with iPhones being considered "snapshits".

If you get a great shot, it dosnt matter what it was on, what your intention was or your level of experience. All pictures are photography.
>>
>>2703441
Agreed. And you don't need to read any unscientific artfag nonsense either.

If something triggers your interest, then it probably also has some interest / entertainment value to other people.

Of course this idea doesn't please some artfags, who think whatever artfag theories they read are more helpful in creating photographs than the engineering behind a camera, and just our human perception.
>>
>>2703441

A pro is someone who makes a living off of something. There is no imaginary line. You can't call yourself a pro basketball players because you play pickup games on the weekend. You call yourself a pro because it is your fucking job.
>>
>>2703464
Then why do camera communities describe gear as being pro or not pro, and further more who gives a shit?
>>
>>2703473
I suppose it's just an easy indication of different levels of gear; whether it's weather sealed, whether is has the thumbwheel on the body, etc.
>>
>>2703388
Yeah, no, most people don't really like you.
It's your personality when you're not editing yourself to seem nice.
>>
>>2703473
Different levels of reliability by using better materials

Different levels of customer service (if a fairly new canon L lens goes faulty on you, contact canon and be fixed up and ready to go within 24 hours in most of the world)

different product lifespans (10k guaranteed clicks vs 150k).

pro gear is made to be used every day and put through hell, consumer gear is made to be used at the weekend to snap shirleys baby shower.
>>
>>2703473

Because the gear is aimed at professional market, so people that make their living off of it.

or

Meaningless gear wars designed to disparage people or people upset with their gear not being the best

Who gives a shit? Nobody should really care too much. Some people wouldn't even want to be called an artist. Some people who hate it as a job, but love it otherwise. It's totally fine to not consider yourself an artist, even though you like taking photographs. If you have the money and inclination to buy a Hasselblad medium format digital camera and take 'tourist pictures' and pictures of your kids bully for you.
>>
>>2703494
Lol, that wasn't me that wrote that reply.

>editing myself to seem nice.

Are you sure you don't actually like me, but get super wound up when I troll? Or are you presuming that trolling is my default state and sometimes I tone it down so i can get internet friends?

Either way, you butthurt.

Moopcoon
>>
>>2703502
I think the theory that you sometimes forget to take your medication for your mental health conditions and have bad days where you freak out is most plausible.
>>
>>2703510
Lol.

You guys take me so seriously, look at how much you couldn't resist writing back. My success as a troll has surpassed all my expectations.

You're so wrapped up in me that you think I'm knee deep in xanax, and the only possible explanation for me encouraging half the board to hammer shit into their keyboard is that I'm ill and forgot my meds.

I'll concede though, toying with plebs is important to my artistic process. thankyou for your services.
>>
>>2703516
Today seems to be one of those days.
>>
>>2703516
>I'll concede though, toying with plebs is important to my artistic process. thankyou for your services.
That's something you have in common with that chick you hate so much.

I'll ask again. Why don't you two just fuck already?
Or kill yourselves. I promise not to call the cops.
>>
File: DSC_0450.jpg (88KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0450.jpg
88KB, 900x506px
>>2703522
A day for toying with plebs? Nah, I was building a lens and you guys make for great procrastination whilst glue dries.

I usually set aside whole days if I'm ill or otherwise bed bound.
>>
>>2703546
>I usually set aside whole days if I'm ill or otherwise bed bound.
I forgot about that.
This is clearly why you're so bitter AND salty. You're still annoying but now I feel sorry for you a little bit as well.

Still, though. Kill yourself?
>>
>>2703545
>Why don't you two just fuck already?
Cos you're a butters hick Isi, now stop nagging me.

>>2703550
My illness has made me neither bitter nor salty, would you be bitter if your government came up to you and said "really sorry, but you can no longer work, you're going to have to have all the free time in the world, we'll give you a 25% pay rise from what you were previously on to help ease the transition, here's a couple of grand in backpayments as you have been ill a while."

I'm most salty about going on holiday for 3 months this winter to India and still being paid whilst I'm out there, that really sucks.

People that feel sorry for me are morons, or just jealous.
>>
>>2703557
You're just an entitled little shit that gets everything for free just like that chick you're always bitching about then.
Glad we got that cleared up. Fuck off back to the IRC now please.
>>
>>2703546
You did that like two months ago according to your facebook.
Didn't that pink haired daddy issues girl tell you where to get the adapter you used to "build" it? I think I was in IRC for that!
>>
>>2703545
How's the shack in the woods treating you?
>>
>>2703563
Guess again. I know who you mean though and I remember how you "defended" him on IRC although you clearly don't give a shit about him. Nice to see I was right about that too.
>>
File: 1420823136406.jpg (86KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1420823136406.jpg
86KB, 1920x1080px
I like how OP asked for influence in photography and general talk about artistic direction and not even 100 posts later this has turned into IRC Middle school drama again. Outstanding work /p/
>>
>>2703560
I'm not allowed in the IRC any more, I hurt a mods feefee's :'(

it's funny you use the word "entitled" the website designed to help brits get their correct benefits is entitledto.co.uk. If you're angry at me for making the most of the services provided by the UK, that just makes you envious homie. In the last year or so I've been on the bene's I've bought a brand new high end gaming pc, a 27" 2k monitor, a sony A7, multiple high quality lenses, heck I've spent over $500 on shoes and I rarely leave my home, a large terraced property in the centre of a UK city, with large private garden, gas central heating, double height ceilings, bay windows and my bills are much lower due to being disabled. My banks a couple of g in the black, and my student loan will be wiped in 14 months time. Oh, and don't forget the brand new car of my choice every 3 years, with tax and insurance.

Enjoy your job homie, what are you, 25? that means you only have around another 100'000 hours to go before retirement. 100'000 hours doing something you don't enjoy in order to make someone else more wealthy. wow, that sucks.

>>2703562
Lol, another person that likes to creep round my facebook, you guys need to get out more.
Yeah, I did the first version a couple of months back, then did this version tidier, added some thick grease to the helicoid and turned some wood for the finished fascia.

How come Isi is now referred to as the "pink haired daddy issues girl" did I miss a memo?
>>
>>2703575
Out of curiosity, who do you think said >>2703563
>>
>>2703030
What drive you have
>>
File: ddd.jpg (351KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ddd.jpg
351KB, 667x1000px
>>2703401
nah, just a skateboarding photographer

I know of his work, it's p cool

Horizontal Resolution360 dpi
Vertical Resolution360 dpi
Image Created2015:11:13 21:38:29
>>
>>2703018
What's wrong with snapshits?
>>
>>2703582
moopco
>>
>>2703808
Nope.
>>
>>2703819
Well, I'm pretty sure our little hermit only searches the archive for his name once in a while and doesn't actually browse the board. I'm also pretty sure we should just leave the guy alone.
>>
>>2703821
All these presumptions around me.
I'm here most days, you just don't notice until isi does, at which point she'll shit post whatever thread I'm In to oblivion.

Girls got issues.
>>
>>2703829
We weren't talking about you, idiot.
We almost never think about you at all actually. You should fuck off.
>>
>>2703830

>>2703563
>>2703575
>>2703582
>>2703808
>>2703821

Clearly not about me

>>2703387

Nor is this comment and the resultant conversation.

Oh isi, I'm sorry you feel so intimidated by me you have to pretend I'm not here.
>>
>>2703830
Triggered
>>
>>2703018
SUBJECTIVE
>>
there is no conceptual prerequisite for photo, you dummy
>>
>>2703833
I'm 99% sure that's multiple people, and none are isi
>>
>>2703939
reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it, are you from like china or alabama or something?
>>
>>2703961
>Oh isi
Yeah, I have reading comprehension. I see you responding to my post, and some other posts that are not mine, and saying "oh isi" to them

thank you for your consideration dude whos got issues
>>
>>2703365
??? then where can I find your other work holy shit or a higher resolution version of the.... red and blue building image>=?
>>
>>2705599
You can't.
You're welcome to enquire about buying prints.
>>
File: KaiManWong_ProTogCheapCam.jpg (28KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
KaiManWong_ProTogCheapCam.jpg
28KB, 426x426px
>>
>>2703114
Ive saved that photo of the priest in my inspo folder before, i dig it.
>>
>>2705741
He doesn't want to post a larger version because it's been photoshopped to hell and back, and it's very obvious at large resolutions.

Saw the before/after on his flickr
>>
File: rsz__mg_3269.jpg (151KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
rsz__mg_3269.jpg
151KB, 1000x667px
>>2703210
http://cargocollective.com/michaelmeyer/Photos

Ahh you were the anon that created the thread about binding. It's Interesting to read what you write here and then look through a collection of your photos as a whole.

I see what you are saying about the difficulty of interpretation, and its an interesting concept. Just recently i have been reading the Tate Modern book on Daido Moriyama, i see a lot of similarities between his work and what you are trying to achieve, most notably your use of intense grain as well as your shots of the tunnels, canned fish and urban decay.

I have only been taking photos 7 months, but i feel drawn down the path of which you are speaking about, thinking of collective themes, motifs and framework that is the caterpillar stages of artistic photography.

The thing that I have noticed, is that as a beginner i have pushed away thoughts of all these things you talk about as i am out taking photos, and instead i have been almost moving unconciously, snapping the shit that appeals to me, it is only when i sit down and look through my photos after that i begin to notice a motif, mood or style that is transgressing my photos as a whole.

I guess the next scary stage for me is know i must keep shooting with this idea that i cant help but know a certain style is burgeoning. Whether this will conciously affect the photos i take or not, im unsure.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 600D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:11:18 09:40:12
Exposure Time1/80 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
File: rsz__mg_3373.jpg (149KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rsz__mg_3373.jpg
149KB, 667x1000px
>>2705928
I guess a couple more just to exemplify what im on about.

I can see goodstuff in my photos, i just dont have enough right now to really create a proper body of work.

2/3

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2015:11:18 09:40:51
Exposure Time1/100 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
File: _MG_3133.jpg (801KB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_3133.jpg
801KB, 5184x3456px
>>2705936
3/3

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2015:11:18 09:39:22
Exposure Time1/60 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2705922
Printed it last week at A4, looks great.
Also very little photoshop was used. It's pretty much all done in lightroom.

Thanks for stalking me though x
>>
>>2703242

Congratulations on actually stimulating a relevant discussion on this board, first time I've seen it in my short time here
>>
>>2705948
>very little photoshop was used
stop faffing yourself
https://www.flickr.com/photos/59764929@N04/12978799484/
>>
How does Baudrillard's concept of the Real™ tie in with Deleuze's concept of -becomings, if it even does?
>>
>>2705996
>How does Baudrillard's concept of the Real™ tie in with Deleuze's concept of -becomings, if it even does?

>implying pondering that will help your already helpless snapshits
>>
>>2705997
>implying what you just said was any more worthwhile you little shit
Why don't you just fuck right off pleb and go back to the gear thread you little pixel peeping cunt?
>>
>>2705998

what does the french charlatan academy has anything to do with photo you mongoloid
>>
>>2706000
everything or nothing, depending
stop hating things you don't like, tripsfag
>>
my work is heavily based on nicolas cage.
>>
I'm an avid reader. As I would guess many here are. I enjoy novels with a dark and often times cynical view of humanity. I
however have a very optimistic view of the world. Often times I try to capture the naivete or the good in otherwise forboding atmospheres or environments because that's how I often view my place in the world.
>>
>>2703018
>Begriffsschrift

In English, that is the title of a book. Nothing more. You are not impressing anyone by using the odd German word.

That said, you are obviously right. Many people think it is possible to ditch the theoretical framework and just do whatever. "Just feel it, maeeen." NOPE.
>>
god damnit, do you ever say anything thats not entirely vapid? i hate this pseudo intellectual bullshit where people just try to spout fancy sounding bullshit without any actual thought or understanding behind it.
>defensible theoretical framework
you fucking retard, seriously
>>
this thread blows more cocks than OPs mom on a saturday night.
>>
>>2707728
u r just angry she actually gets action as opposed to none...like you
>>
>>2703018
>I think there are only two kinds of photography: artistic and shit.

False dichotomy much?
>>
>>2703560
So I haven't been on /P in a while . . there's an IRC?
>>
> Art
> coherent and defensible theoretical framework

hahahaha. The job of artists is to do art, leave the fuckwit justifications to banker wankers and self-appointed know-it-all critics
>>
>>2705948
It's pretty obvious half that shit is perspective corrected to hell and back. get a lf and do the actual movements and shit instead of fixing your shitty straight on snapshits in Photoshop.
>>
I understand what you are saying OP. A lot of people on my Facebook feed are suddenly becoming photographers after graduating from high school and think that anything that is a step above a selfie is some magnificent achievement. No soul, no thought, no essence going into it. Only "hmmm if I take a picture of this pretty forest maybe I'll get some likes on Facebook!" I'm a newfag to /p/ so I don't know many photographers but as a film fanatic Tarkovsky is a great example of someone who I think puts a good mixture of meaning and feeling into his shots.
>>
>>2703210
>i want to produce photos which are objects descriptive of themselves & distinct from the Real

Can any object be descriptive of itself? Unless it's some physical sculpture of a universal language, or an onomatopoeic word maybe. Also, isn't the point of a hyper-realistic image, that what is real and what is not is INdistinguishable , if so then most digital images surely achieve this, no?

Also, again if your images, or the object within them are to be distinct from the real, then this defeats itself if you aim to be akin to hyper-reality.

Also, I'm not sure that the surrealists aim was to supplant reality. To my understanding, mostly it was express primal urges we all hold, but suppress, mainly through juxtaposition of contrasting signifiers and contexts. And, just for the fuck of it.
>>
the whole point of this thread is masturbation. which is fine since that's what a lot of art and a lot of 4chan is, but to think your rejected submissions for the f#a# infinity re-issue album cover art are above "snapshits" because of your philosophy degree is the height of pretension
>>
This thread sucks more gay cocks than OPs mom and OP combined.
>>
Most people here fail to realize photograph isn't an art and shouldn't try to be so either, but it's nice to see all the butthurt gearfag Westonians in this thread
>>
>>2709667
Photography is what it's practitioners want it to be not what some dickwad on the internet,or anywhere else, thinks it is or isn't
>>
>>2709667
>Westonians
I dont think its fair to compare everyone to Ayya
>>
>>2703138
Right. Theories explain phenomena. Sometimes, they enable us to create phenomena. But they mostly just explain.

The creation of art is a phenomena. It did, and does, go on quite fine without theories. But there is still communicative value with a theoretical framework. We might call it "impressionism" when talking about painting. That style has some rules. The "language" has been set, so both artist and audience are on the same page.

But you could easily just say to hell with it all and not use any framework. Time will show if people understood you enough to actually care what you did. If not, I hope it gave you satisfaction anyway.

In this way, both of you are right.
>>
>>2703018
>the worlds №1 photographre
I stopped reading. too much autism already.
>>
>>2703033
>theory threads
then don't make an elitist autistic ego blog post.
>>
>>2710175
>>the worlds №1 photographre
>I stopped reading. too much autism already.

this.

that faggot shitposter is as bad as the "captured society" faggot. or the dslr scan weirdo.
>>
>>2710049
pls, isi is the biggest westonian, minus the inventiveness.
technical pictures of nothing all day every day
>>
>>2710181

pls, whats technical about shooping and cloning falling stars in a sky shot? the bad taste is evident. more like pseudo-technical gaudy pics of nothing amirite
>>
>>2708284
Why, the image sells as is.
Also it would be impossible as the level of colour correction needed for this effect with the coloured polariser wouldn't be held in film and these filters only come in the tiny cokin a mount. Thanks for playing though.

>>2705979
>what is lightroom?

>>2705907
Thanks man :)
>>
File: PB140230.jpg (330KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PB140230.jpg
330KB, 810x1080px
>>2703214
I would literally buy a photo book that had an image on the left and a thesis on the right every time you turned to a new spread.

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
>>2703126
lol u wear vans
>>
>>2703232

OP GETTING BTFO
>>
>>2703581
you're bragging about being sick and needing government assistance? the things you listed are all regular middle class achievements in the US lel
>>
Photography is fucking faggy

just take photos of cool shit faggot. Stop being a pretentious artist

Image Created2011:02:15 17:02:39
Commentoriginally uploaded @ http://melisaki.tumblr.com
>>
>>2703210
>seriously ascribing an approach to yourself that was used as literal cultural propaganda by John Szarkowski.

You're YEARS too late to seriously adopt this style has it's been done to death by now. You are not Walker Evans or any of his followers.
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.