[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Organising pictures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: app-xnsoft-512.png (58KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
app-xnsoft-512.png
58KB, 512x512px
Yo /p/, asking on /b/ and /r/ has proven utterly useless,so I'm going to the source!

I've been using specific names for images and folders with sub-folders to organize all my pictures from 4chan, the internet and from my personal and traveling pictures.

Problem is it's not enough anymore to keep everything tidy and I really do enjoy classifying my stuff... But aside from my OCD, thing are getting really messy with my current system.
How do you guys tag your pictures?

I'm using XnView as in image viewer and it has categories, but they don't seem to modify the image EXIF, thus making category useless and not compatible if I ever change to a new software. Microsoft XP tagging system is not bad since it allow you to quick search your computer (really nice to find reaction image or thread related pictures), but it's way to tedious to tag everything manually or even in group using the ctrl key.

Is there an image viewer that allow you to create a taglist and just browse folders while checking boxes to tag each pictures?

I'm searching for something elegant, which mean useful and yet easy to use (also open source or freeware if possible)
>>
File: app-xnview-512.png (22KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
app-xnview-512.png
22KB, 512x512px
>>2695968
>Update

I used to have Adobe Bridge on my old Mac and it was able to do exactly that and tag image properly. Since the most recent cracked version is not Windows 10 compatible. I might just download it and buy it for a couple of months until I get my shit sorted properly.

I'm ready to bet there is freeware that allow efficient tagging, but I can't find one...
>>
>>2696025
>Update

Trying Picasa 3.x right now. It has a quick tag interface but it's only a couple of tags that get stored and not a full edit-able list. I'll see if there is a way to mod or change that for another tagging layout
>>
>>2695968

Bumping my thread one last time for tonight, I know this is a slower board and wont spam it. If anyone has useful insights to share about picture viewer or digital asset manager, metadata editing (tags and keywords in perticular), ty in advance for sharing.
>>
You can try Diffractor
http://www.diffractor.com/
>>
Digikam is my favorite. Though it has some stability issues for me.
>>
There was this one guy on /g/ that had the same problem as you did and wanted to organize his 4chan folder with tags, so he wrote a program to do it. You might want to check it out:

http://hydrus.tumblr.com/

My main gripe is that it's database-based instead of using existing folders. At least that's how I remember it. It's been a long time.

Personally, I just use folders for 4chan (whatever's convenient, primarily sorted by board) and Lightroom tags for actual photography.

>I'm using XnView as in image viewer and it has categories, but they don't seem to modify the image EXIF, thus making category useless and not compatible if I ever change to a new software.
I don't think this is a problem. Images I tag in Lightroom show up as categories in XNviewMP, so I'm pretty sure that this is a common metadata type that's not going to go out of fashion.
>>
>>2696620
>>2696439
>>2696505

Ty for you help I will check them out. Categories in XnView do not write any metadata on the image it is applied onto, but it might read metadata applied from another source such as lightroom.

How does tagging work in light room? Do you have to do it manually for each picture or is it possible to set a list of check boxes just like in bridge?
>>
>>2696439

That program seem out of date as fuck and windows 10 wont even let me run it as there are no version that are compatible. Such a shame it looked great
>>
File: xnview-iptc-metadata-editing.jpg (43KB, 531x546px) Image search: [Google]
xnview-iptc-metadata-editing.jpg
43KB, 531x546px
>>2695968
>I'm using XnView as in image viewer and it has categories, but they don't seem to modify the image EXIF
Forget about the internal 'categories' XnView uses, use the IPTC metadata editing capability of XnView.
Edit > Metadata > IPTC data
You can even do batch operations on metadata with XnView. IrfanView also does all the above.
Not all image formats support writing metadata though - JPEG, PNG and GIF will work.
>>
>>2696721
>How does tagging work in light room?
You select a bunch of images (ctrl+click, shift+click; the usual), select the tags you want to apply (or write new ones in a box, separated by comma) and press "sync".
There's a list of keywords, they can have hierarchies, and your most common keywords are suggested in another box.
>>
>>2696793

I tought PNG didn't work, must have changed? Good thing anyway. I found how to edit ITPC in XnView some time ago, but the interface didn't seem practical for the type of work I was going to do with it.

>>2696854

I think I might have wanted to go overboard with tagging. I think the picasa interface will be the best to tag picture that have a wide range of variety and require a lot of different tags, no batch processing. Putting to much tags is the same as putting none, you end up not finding what you are searching for.

I will probably get the student deal with the adobe suite as I'm an art student and I'm used to work with PS for all my digital work. I'll get to try lightroom and bridge and I'll switch when the time come. None of the cracked version I foud are windows 10 compatible cause PS6 and the suite programs are now kinda old.

Interestingly enough, I can remove folder from the windows search query, making sure nasty stuff will not pop up when I'm with other ppl looking my computer.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.