[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aperture Confusion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: DSC00413.jpg (357KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00413.jpg
357KB, 1000x666px
So got my first "good" camera outside of point and shoots. I'm trying to be a big boy and not shoot in auto mode. So the internet says to use Aperture mode for shooting. So on my first outing with the camera I put the camera in A mode and messed around. I do have some questions though, When you open up the aperture you getting a shallower DoF, I understand this, on my kinda crappy kit leans I shot some a F3.5 (the most open I can get with this lens) and do like the effect for some shots but a lot of the stuff i'm gonna want to take pics of is landscapes stuff like pic related. At what point does the DoF open up so you get "everything in focus"? I used F5 a lot since it looked good on the camera screen.

I also have some shutter speed questions, I saw some humming birds and wanted to "freeze them" in time so to speak, what kind of shutter speed am I gonna need to do that? In general what speed of shutter should I be using for hand held shots? How slow can it get before it gets blurry?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareILCE-6000 v2.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:10:05 13:56:39
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness10.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length16.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
google hyperfocal distance, shoot at no slower than 1/focal length.of a second
>>
>>2681020
/thread
>>
>>2681020 +1
Basically, focus to the infinite and go for an aperture of ƒ9 ~ƒ11, even if you have to bump the ISO.
Are you french? I swear your picture is in France.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
PhotographerDavid MORNET
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:10:05 20:54:49
>>
File: DSC00361.jpg (158KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00361.jpg
158KB, 1000x666px
>>2681024
Nah, Amerifat here. Took in a city park in my area.

But thanks for the info, I was always worried about going to a higher aperture because im used to my shitty point and shoot giving me noise at anything about 800ISO. Guess i'm gonna have to trust the camera more and when I take these wide open shots to let the ISO go up.

Still need to figure out what shutter speed I should being and when I should be using it. Like in my first post about the humming bird, how fast do I gotta go to freeze it? How slow of a shutter can I do for off hand shots? Guess stuff like this is gonna come with time. Gonna go to Valley Forge today as soon as my wife wakes up to snap a few more pics and get in a another autumn hike.

Here is another shot from my first outing

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareILCE-6000 v2.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.6
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:10:05 13:27:58
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness5.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
1/2000 or 1/4000 for hummingbirds.
>>
>>2681024
nice ƒ
>>
File: f-stop-depth-of-field.jpg (215KB, 520x555px) Image search: [Google]
f-stop-depth-of-field.jpg
215KB, 520x555px

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2008:05:17 13:04:53
Image Width520
Image Height555
>>
>>2681024
>focus to the infinite

No, it's best to focus at the hyperfocal distance. - the focusing distance that gives you the most DoF.
Which depends on the focal length, aperture and circle of confusion (the latter is a bit subjective)
You can download an app to calculate it.

For example:
18mm, f/11 and a 0.02mm CoF will give you a hyperfocal distance of 4.76ft
Focusing there will put everything from 6.8ft to infinity in focus.
If you focused at infinity you will get far less of the foreground in focus.
>>
>>2681028
>Guess i'm gonna have to trust the camera more and when I take these wide open shots to let the ISO go up.

No, try to avoid higher ISO's.

The noise won't be too bad.
But you will lose dynamic range and color accuracy.

For landscapes you'll want as much dynamic range as possible, to capture details in everything from the bright skies to the dark shadows.

If you are serious about landscape photography you're going to want a tripod, and not a flimsy one either.
>>
>>2681070
I do plan to get a tripod, just gotta find a light weight one that I can fit into my backpacking load out. My pack right now is 56lbs without camera so far.
>>
>>2681060
this example is shit because it completely dismisses diffraction which happens with small apertures typically further than f/11, with some lenses even like f/8. even using a tripod you should never really go further than f/14 but it starts to ruin the photo
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.