[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone watch John Zahorian's youtube channel? Dude has inspired

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: jawnzee.jpg (142KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
jawnzee.jpg
142KB, 900x900px
Anyone watch John Zahorian's youtube channel? Dude has inspired me big time. Check it out if youre interested in hiking any of the long trail, or in ultralight in general.

dude holds speed record for Colorado Trail. Anyone have opinion on FKT people? Some hate the idea, say only people with crazy egos do it . I think its cool, I want to FKT attempt the AZT next year.
>>
>>21801
Kill yourself
>>
>Anyone have opinion on FKT people?
if it makes you happy, do it. it has no affect on me. i don't know why anyone would get agitated over someone else enjoying being /out/ in a way they like. same as people hating ul. or hating people like me that like to max out at 10-11 miles a day and have a big meal every night. do your thing and have fun.
>>
Yes, and I own his pack.
>>
>>21803
I agree with this anon, hike your own hike HYOH
>>
>>21804
how is it? can you post a pic of the smaller hole on the bottom pocket? I made an Xpac pack copying his design but I didnt use the bottom pocket cause I didnt want it to be a complete rip off. I dont have any interest in buying one, but thier last run sold out in 8 minutes
>>
>>21804
>Is this pack right for me?
>If your baseweight is over 10 lbs, you should consider a different pack.

lol. my backpack alone is over 5 lbs.
>>
File: Ray_mears_optics.jpg (10KB, 220x176px) Image search: [Google]
Ray_mears_optics.jpg
10KB, 220x176px
>>21801
>i want to fukt attempt the aids drug next year
Ok go ahead faggit
>>
>>21801
That guy is the real deal.
>>
>>21801
so what kind of prep have you been doing for the fkt?
>>
>>21801
Definitely HYOH, but for me FKT defeats the purpose of being outside.

To me, hiking and backpacking is about enjoying nature, to get away from the fast pace of life and strip it down until you're left with what you can carry on your back. It's about relaxing, not racing.

If you want to attempt a FKT, go for it. I just don't think it has any real meaning.
>>
>>21810
its still cold and I live in New england so this last few months have been gear research and weight gain lol. Now that its warmer I have been jogging several times a week. Im in college so I plan to do the PCT nobo between college semesters this year, thats 25MPD average and totally easy. I will do as many 50+ days on the PCT as I can to get to my chops up for the record. Then after I graduate I will probably do another small trail as prep (Maybe CT, or JMT) and just go for it, south bound,

>>21811
I agree to an extent. AZ is my home state and I have already hiked rim to rim and know the state well so Its not like i will be missing out on anything I havent experienced yet. For me completing a FKT is the best way to get major Cred in the Hiking community, and that matters to me. Any joe can casually hike the AT on his year off between college and his soul crushing desk job. But it takes true commitment to hike 43 miles a day for 20 days straight, and people really respect that. Ive never been the best in the world at anything and I see the AZT as a perfect opportunity to prove myself. If I fail then at least Im already home.
>>
>>21812
Honestly though, in the hiking community, a lot of FKT people are looked down on though. A lot of purists see it as blasphemous. They will all say "hike your own hike", but they really don't like the idea of record breaking.

If you're looking for major cred, I don't know if you'll get it. It's a relatively obscure trail and not exactly going to make you famous.

Forget about FKT for a supported hike, let alone unsupported.
>>
>>21813
Yeah that's why I was asking opinions. You could say the same about mountaineering and climbing or a lot of expeditions, it's high risk and not physically enjoyable, yet people do it all the time and are commended for being the first to a summit. I think theres a lot of merit for pushing for a tangable goal and doing something no one else has.

It's an 800 mile trail and it's gaining popularity every year, it's just new, that's all. It's also really well maintained, you could easily mountain bike it.. John Z got big for breaking the Colorado trail record, which is relatively unknown. If I attempted I wouldn't be supported I would stage supplies along the trail and walk to resupply towns.
>>
People astound me. The fact that they can get elitist and purist about how other people walk is incredible.
>>
Good place to ask, I'm planning a 30 mile single-day hike soon, what are some things I should be wary of besides the obvious like blisters and not taking too much shit?
>>
>>21816
Start early and just keep walking till youre done. Wait till summer if you can cause the daylight is longer
>>
>>21801
Is the retard who doesn't carry paper maps?
>>
>>21801
I respect FKTers and am always interested in their gear choices but it doesn't appeal to me personally. I like to hike hard but I also like to enjoy my surroundings.
>>
>>21818
He carried paper maps for the PCT the first time he hiked it and the CDT but he only used his phone for most of his hiking in 2016. If youre on a well maintained trail like the PCT a paper map is really just got piece of mind IMO, getting lost on those high traffic trails is super rare. CDT makes sense cause there's not a super defined route and if your phone scatters ur SOL
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.