[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travelling Advice Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: Chris_McCandless.png (160KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
Chris_McCandless.png
160KB, 350x263px
How feasable is it to travel across America hitch-hiking. I'm an Anglo /out/ist male and have read about Chris Mccandless. He got around with practically no cash however this was in the 70's/80's. Today is different and I know not much is free these days.

What alternatives to hitchhiking are there. I want to travel from East to West.

Thoughts?
>>
I am actually planning to hitchhike the us, a lot of the information i have got is from hitchwiki which is really good.

I think although it is harder to hitchhike today and a lot harder to jump freights it is easier to connect yourself with people that can help, like workaway.info where people offer bed & board in exchange for work or couchsurfing where you can stay in peoples homes for free, theres also a section on the app for meeting other travellers.
>>
>>20804
differs by region and by state
for example, you'll get harassed by cops for hitch hiking in new jersey

also you can't hitch hike on interstates, so very long distances are hard
>>
>>20806

How easy is it to free load on a freight train?
>>
Go to homeless general with this shit you retards.
>>
This. Also kys before you end up hooked on smack in LA. Just save us your shit posts.
>>
File: hitchbot-before-and-after (1).jpg (69KB, 908x343px) Image search: [Google]
hitchbot-before-and-after (1).jpg
69KB, 908x343px
Here is loveable hitchbot before and after. Designed as a social experiment by researches at a Canadian university, he hitches rides. He enjoyed travelling throughout Canada, the Netherlands, and Germany, everywhere he went people took him cool places, posted photos with him on social media, etc.

2 weeks in the USA and he was found limbs torn off, decapitated, beaten, and left roadside in a gutter.

Don't hitchhike in the U.S.
>>
>>20804
I've been doing this during the summer for the last couple of years. Bigger cities are harder to catch out of than small towns despite less traffic, no one has ever asked me to pitch in for gas, some people have even offered me money and train tickets despite me telling them I didn't need anything. Best advice I can give is to make sure you have a few days' worth of food in case you get stuck someplace remote, and to make sure the driver isn't drunk when you get into the car. It's a lot of fun.
>>
>>20804
Extremely feasible m8. Hitched from Austin,TX to San Diego, CA. Took 3.5 days,14 rides, and made 200$ in unsolicited kick downs on the way. Just like anything else, be prepared and have a plan.
I highly recommend using hitchwiki. Useful for laws by state and gives user submitted rundowns of regions and cities. Plenty of other great advice and a decent forum.
>>
>>20809
Or jacking it in San Diego. It's more likely than you think
>>
>>20812
>and made 200$ in unsolicited kick downs on the way
You sucked dick?
>>
>>20807
It's an easy way to get thrown in jail
>>
>>20810
Why do you insist on comparing a stupid fucking toy with a hitchhiking person? I don't care if someone broke a "social experiment", hitchhiking in the US is still safe for people.
>>
>>20816
According to FBI stats you're way more like to be the aggressor in a crime than the victim if you are hitchhiking there's been less that 200 hitchhiking related murders in the past 30 yrs
>>
File: 1435020156260.jpg (54KB, 384x635px) Image search: [Google]
1435020156260.jpg
54KB, 384x635px
>>20817
Sounds super easy to keep track of how many vagrants were killed when nobody reports them missing.
>>
>>20814
People will hand you money whether you look like a vagabond or not.

Certain rides will assume the worst or that you're living a frugal journey back to your town. Twenties, a lot of joints, beer and other small favours are passed on with the life of the road.

My favourite was being dropped off in Swift River by a working family man who enjoyed lifting heavy weights, and listening to strange music. Before I got out of the vehicle, he sinks his hands into a bunch of quarters, nickels and dimes and domes them in my hand. He tells me to go buy a coffee, wait out the thunderstorm and gives me two loafs of whole wheat bread with some processed cheese. Then waitress inside gave me free expired pudding and t old me to hide them before her boss sees them.
>>
OP, google bicycle touring.

Get yourself a touring or old road bike (steel frame) and some cheap (but decent) saddlebags. (i recommend front and back if you're going long haul)

There's plenty of online instructions on making dirt cheap waterproof panniers (some out of kitty litter buckets, or dry bags).

You can ride the bike or walk it, and it makes hitching rides pretty difficult... but you can be a dirty smelly vagrant looking type and as long as its clear you are "bike touring" and not just a bum, most people will thinks its really cool, cops wont hassle you (more often than not they will help you) and so many random strangers will go out of their way for you.

I went from Seattle, WA to Tijuana, MX.
life changing experience.
>>
>>20804
Ride a bike, nigga.
>>
>>20820

I was considering this. I've done bike holidays before but always had a village/town to stop in. It'd be sweet if I can spend nights /out/.
>>
>>20804
>He got around with practically no cash however this was in the 70's/80's
Then he died.
>>
>>20804
He also died because he mixed up two plants, and also mixed up a moose and caribou. The best thing you can do is be smart. Instead of beating it to hentai, read a book and underline or take notes or whatever you feel is best. Knowledge is what keeps survivors alive. Stupidity an ignorance is why people die /out/.
>>
>>20818
>Getting in a vehicle with someone where you feel comfortable with them
>Knowing where you're going so you don't end up in a basement.
>>
All other arguments aside if you're too stupid to find the containment thread you have no hope of leading any sort of fulfilling life in the first place, dumbass.
>wants to live /out/ and travel
>doesnt even check the catalog
>>
>>20826
Quit pushing people to your child enticement thread you pedo
>>
>>20824
He was slowly starving anyway even without the seeds, and how the fuck can anyone mix up moose and caribou?
>>
File: Into_the_Wild_(book)_cover.png (71KB, 220x348px) Image search: [Google]
Into_the_Wild_(book)_cover.png
71KB, 220x348px
>>20824
>>20828
I can actually recommend reading Krakauer's book Into the Wild. It gives you a much more nuanced view on McCandles than the movie does. Krakauer also kills some of the myths that has been going about him and his dead, one of them beeing that he mixed up a caribu for a moose. That one thing was actually because of Gordon Samel and Ken Thompson who insisted that the animal was moose which led many readers of Krakauer’s Outside article to insist that McCandless was ill-prepared and ignorant.
Another thing is the mixing up of plants - which the movie portrays as the cause of his death. The funny thing is that Krakauer in his book (which the movie is loosely based upon) rejects that theory completely. There was a lot of testing done and - as I recall - the latest explanation was that McCandles did know what plant he ate (makes sence since he actually writes about avoiding the toxic, similar-looking ones in his jurnal), but that the plant had a small concentration of a certain toxic in its seeds that was not described in any books at the time, but would in large amounts weaken one severely.

The last thing that I'd ad is that saying that McCandles was unprepared or studpid is a gross simplication that never the less thrives since it's an easy explanation. Again, I can highly recommend reading the book.
>>
>>20829
Unfortunately Krakauer is a confirmed hack, apologist, embellisher, liar, and fraud. He wasn't there but he and he alone has the inside scoop? Puhlease.
>>
>>20830
I dont say that Krakauer is the only one entitled to have an opinion on McCandles but could you elaborate your claims?
>>
>>20806
this is an incomplete answer. pedestrians arent allowed on controlled access highways. this includes all of the interstates (designated I-#, like I-4 or I-675) and some sections of the US numbered highways (US-#, like US-1). state roads are general OK for pedestrians to be on but there are some exceptions. A basic rule of thumb is if the speed limit is >55 pedestrians are not allowed on it.
>>
>>20829
McCandles wanted to die.
>>
>>20827
>i like my board to be shitted up with duplicate threads full of incorrect information
>i better tell that guy he's a bedo because reasons

I don't know what the fuck you're on about, but people need to learn to use the catalog.
>>
Bump for interest! Thinking about doing the same thing, I am from the East also.
>>
>>20820
How was it life changing?
>>
>>20833
I don't think so
>>
>>20834

People like you should consider taking a long walk off a short pier.
>>
>>20834
Dude, not everyone is a pedophile. In fact most of us are disgusted by your behavior and lifestyle. Castrate yourself
>>
>>20804
>this was in the 70's/80's
McCandless left on his trip in 1990 and was found dead in 1992.
>>
>>20840

>Accident
Learn to accept mistakes cuckon
>>
>>20841
Wut?
>>
>>20841
Learn to read you fucking faggot
>>
If your gonna Hitchhike keep yourself clean. I will not pick up someone who looks like a bum. But if i see someone who looks like he tries to take care of himself then ill give him a ride. I used to hitchhike on a regular bases. If your just doing it for an adventure then it can be fun and you can meet lots of cool people. but be prepared. Do not carry weapons because cops will harass you and arrest you if they find them on you.

But as it was suggested be prepared to get stranded in places for several days. lots of states will not allow you to walk on interstates, so learn the laws if you can carry your phone so you have internet access. a couple battery backups. Use your best judgement.
>>
>>20844
Adding to the cleanliness portion about hygiene. It's not only important to keep your hygiene up to standard for rides, but also to remain social with the people you talk to on the streets. Take pride in your hygiene, and avoid looking like a tramp in urban areas as it makes people nervous.

Simple sponge baths, quick towel rub downs, fapping in the toilet or brushing your teeth will always lead to an easier ride. But as the poster above me said, be wary of certain rides. There will be times where your stomach will tell you not to enter the vehicle, and it can save your life or your anal virginity.
>>
>>20845

>anal virginity

Enjoy your box life normie
>>
>>20846
I was oblivious to an old man's intentions when he brought me to his house, and let me sleep on his couch. Starving in the middle of nowhere and being offered the opportunity to sleep on a couch was perfect at the time, but when he thought he got me drunk, he tried to pull some shit on me and I freaked the fuck out thinking he was gonna rape me.
>>
>>20836
I lost my anal virginity
>>
>>20824
didn't read the book huh?
>>
>>20804
Hitching across America is easy and awsome if you absolutely love to suck dick more than life itself.
>>
>>20850
Yeah, you can survive off cum alone if do 40 dicks per day. Who needs a mess kit?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.