[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boot Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 31

File: boots.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
boots.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
Hey /out/, /k/ here. I just got a research gig that necessitates being in the VA woods all summer. What does /out/ recommend for woodland boots that can stand up to creeks, mud, and the like? Pic related, got some belleville goretex and some low end bates already, but don't know if they'll suffice.
>>
>>17376
Careful. It's really easy to accidentally trigger those old vets. Best to just not wear boots at all.
>>
File: sabatons.jpg (86KB, 694x443px) Image search: [Google]
sabatons.jpg
86KB, 694x443px
>>17376
>2017
>Not wearing sabatons
>>
>>17378
I listen to sabatons instead
>>
>>17379
Nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtxujoHtNYY
>>
File: tumblr_n7a0s2Qeh21qbeksjo1_250.gif (2MB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7a0s2Qeh21qbeksjo1_250.gif
2MB, 220x165px
>>17376
Dude just pay the woolongs and get a pair of Salomon/Merrill/Red Wings, don't waste your money on uncomfortable service boots.
>>
>>17381
the ones I got aren't uncomfortable at all (wear my bates daily like an autist) but are any of those waterproof but breathable?
>>
File: LTBRNSND.jpg (167KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
LTBRNSND.jpg
167KB, 900x900px
>>17376
>>
>>17382
Yeah man they all make a breathable styles. Use goggle and take a rook.
>>
I'm looking at these anyone else got recommendations, I'd be going around very wet mountains
>>
If u r looking for army style boots s2v is still a great option.

All these faggots pretend their merrels are great for the 9 months they held up but for christd sake half of them are running shoes material.

There are great non military boots out there but be prepared to drop half a paycheck. Redwing is the cheapest of those.
>>
File: Danner Lookout 8'' Black 800G.jpg (492KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Danner Lookout 8'' Black 800G.jpg
492KB, 2000x2000px
>>17386
Those seem pretty good. Not OP but here is another pair I'm considering Danner seems pretty well liked.
>>
>>17387
Looks like a good boot. I haven't used it so i don't know though.

If oakley still offered their pre 2010 boots i would recomend them all day. The pair i bought in2009 finally got a crease in the vibram sole, but im probably going to trash them istead of resoling them since the back of the left is starting to go.

I hate bates but i can attest that they last. And every danner i had was great.

I can also swear to the lord that every meme hiking boot brand i ever bought stank after getting wet once and fell apart in a year.
>>
Waterproof is a fools idea. That waterproof isn't going to help when the water is pouring in when above the opening. Ability to drain and dry quickly while wearing is key.

Belleville makes some of the better mil boots. Prefer the Hoplites coyote myself
>>
File: image.jpg (155KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155KB, 640x447px
>>17389
Would it help in the case of waterlogged ground and extended periods of rain
>>
>>17390
Not really. Waterproof bots are great for the occasional puddle or a few yards of deep snow.

No one uses them in sapper or ranger school. You just take 4 pairs of socks and the 2 lightest pairs of boots you can find.

Hey if u got all day and can make a fire w/e. But most operators i know prefer boots that drain.
>>
File: Sievi_Boots_(2).jpg (25KB, 310x233px) Image search: [Google]
Sievi_Boots_(2).jpg
25KB, 310x233px
>>17376
>>17390
>>
File: snapping-ankle1.jpg (62KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
snapping-ankle1.jpg
62KB, 640x640px
>>17392
>>
File: howtochoosebootsoutstyle.jpg (133KB, 1009x378px) Image search: [Google]
howtochoosebootsoutstyle.jpg
133KB, 1009x378px
Some advice to purchase boots from a based anon.
>>
>>17389
> Ability to drain and dry quickly while wearing is key.

Sure if you're on dry ground most of the time with the occasional soaking/water crossing, but when the ground is wet everywhere ability to dry don't matter for shit.
>>
>>17393
Don't buy the 5$ ones from wal mart next time.
>>
>>17395
Thats where you are completely, absonfuckinglutely backward fucking wrong, kiddo.
>>
>>17397
>kiddo
Sure is mad in here
>>
>>17398
Ok. Wear your """waterproofs""" in a swamp. And to make it fun, lets saya your swamp exercise is timed and the fastest guys get 300 dollars a month more. And this race lasts 3 weeks.

Nigger literally no one uses waterproof boots in the field.
>>
>>17385
heavy
e
a
v
y
>>
File: 20170321_151800.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170321_151800.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
My Lowa Renegades have been through just over a year of rigorous farm/woodland work and still holding up fantastically. Great for me all 4 seasons, and not a drop of water gets through them. Very comfortable fit, and never too hot never too cold. Highly suggest to anyone who needs non-steel toed boots. Best I've owned.
>>
File: trango trek.jpg (70KB, 740x493px) Image search: [Google]
trango trek.jpg
70KB, 740x493px
>>17376

My booty
>>
Is there such a thing as stylish hiking boots? Or just stylish boots that you can also hike in? Hiking boots are ugly as fuck.
>>
>>17403
Functionality is sexy.
>>
>>17401
1/4 inch floor planks
Raising seedlings inside

Let me guess. Your "farm" is a half acre in a suburb outside tacoma?

Go walk through calf high water. Tell me how your cheap ass plastic sole boots held up.
>>
>>17405
Not him but you should seriously fuck off outta here.
>>
>>17405
theyre flowers I planted with my girlfriend.

Obviously something you'll never experience.
>>
>>17403
>>>/fa/
>>
>>17405
>I've never been around actual farmers and farmworkers before
Not that guy, but let me tell you some shit. This is gonna sound really weird, and really crazy, but just hear me out.

Like, farmers live. Listen up.
Farmers live in.
Are you paying attention nigger?
Farmers live in regular houses.
That's right. Crazy revelation right? Like they do home landscaping, have hobbies, kitchens, etc as well. In fact farming is pretty high-profit as far as industries go, so many of them who are large scale farmers/ranchers actually can afford to decorate their home however the hell they damn well please. Or at least their wives/girlfriends can.
>>
>>17405
Why are you acting like an angry retard?
>>
Glued soles are for faggots.
>>
Any non-meme boots with a zero drop sole?
>>
File: IMG_0383.jpg (86KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0383.jpg
86KB, 800x533px
>>17403
Depends on what you mean by stylish.
Danners or hanwags maybe?
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>17378
>2017
>Not hiking on clogs

What are you doing with your life?
>>
>>17414
spending all the money on drinks and women
>>
>>17414
i found a pair of those on the job one day.
>>
What should my gf get? She probably won't go on anything more then a 1-2 night trip in pretty modest trails.
>>
>>17416
What do you do
>>
>>17418
surveyor, little abandon house next to a river. we run into a lot of abandon stuff.
>>
>>17376
Where in VA?
>>
>>17419
That's awesome. Probably one of the greatest jobs ever. My friend, family friend rather, was a surveyor in northern Quebec. Hes in his 60s now currently living off grid. Hunts and grows his own food on a lovely lake in northern Quebec. He's told me so many stories of fighting off wolves and solo nights /out/. Don't let the profession die out.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (87KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
87KB, 1920x1080px
mfw all the boots in this thread look like shit.

Get these. My boots. Walked through mud and water with these stayed dry.

Merrell Polarand 8

yw
>>
>>17378
kek
>>
File: 2011_0729temp0002.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2011_0729temp0002.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>17413
>Hanwags
Hanwag is best wag.
I use the Alaska GTX. would recommend.
>>
I'm loyal to blackhawk combat boots. I got a pair of their ultralights and wear them every day.
>>
>>17424
Second this
>>
File: cowboyboots.jpg (78KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
cowboyboots.jpg
78KB, 620x465px
>>17376
I wear cowboy boots for work and /out/. Comfy, thick brush proof, water proof, last for ever.

The Wild West of the US was tamed by men in these boots. They're top tier footwear.

>inbf some fag who's never spent any amount of time /out/ in cowboy boots.
>>
>>17376
Hey, /out/ers do you think I should go with Danner or Timmys? These are the two boots I was looking at:

http://www.danner.com/men/hike/mountain-600-4-5-brown-red.html

https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens-hiking-boots-shoes/mens-euro-hiker-boots-wheat-91566231
>>
>>17427
How does cowboy boots hold up in rough uneven terrain? Like with balance and stuff.
>>
>>17422

>Implying Merrell makes quality boots anymore
>>
>>17429
>cowboy boots on uneven terrain

Traction is top notch despite little tread. Balance is all up to you. I suppose there is a short adjustment time, the NEED to be broken in. After that you'll treat you well.
>>
>>17424
Third this

Heavy as fuck tho
>>
Get some sanuks, ive got enduros but everything ive seen about the statton boot seems solid and comfy.
>>
File: Boots-754083.jpg (61KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
Boots-754083.jpg
61KB, 590x350px
>>
File: Bates Lightweight Boot.png (480KB, 751x712px) Image search: [Google]
Bates Lightweight Boot.png
480KB, 751x712px
Newbie here.

What would these be good for. The woods, mountain, hunting, or maybe all/none?
>>
>>17385
Redwing loggers
>>
File: IMG_8788.jpg (82KB, 688x580px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8788.jpg
82KB, 688x580px
Danner Boots
>East Ridge is great
http://www.danner.com/men/hunt/east-ridge-8-brown.html
>>
>>17434
Fucking lol
>>
File: 656539-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg (43KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
656539-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
43KB, 480x360px
I like my new Timberlands. Haven't worn them for longer than a few miles yet, but they're comfy and pretty light, so I expect they'll hold up fine on a longer hike.
>>
>>17427
I'm looking to uograde my footwear and this looks promising. How breathable is it? How does it fare against the rain and water?

I'm from NYC and am trying to improve my /out/ skills. Will I be a massive poser faggot if I get these?
>>
This is so fucking gay. If the soles are glued, they are not real boots. If you are worried about "breathability", you're a fag. I've been wearing full-leather uppers with wool socks every single day for over a decade in Texas with extremely high humidity. I'm never uncomfortable. I just deal with it. Learn how to be a fucking man.
>>
>>17435
those will tear apart in less than a month. other anons have poster better boots and you'll be sure to trigger some mahween wearing those
>>
>>17437
Seconding Danner. Have the Elk Hunters with insulation. Coziest boots I've ever worn, and the bob sole works great for muddy terrain.
>>
>>17378
>Sound of 2 dozen empty beer cans on a line dragged by a bicycle intensifies
>>
File: boot.png (221KB, 420x528px) Image search: [Google]
boot.png
221KB, 420x528px
corcoran 10" matterhorn boots for 3 seasons and a pair of muck boots with cleats for icy winter conditions.
>>
>>17389

There's always this fucking guy.

Google: gaiters

If you're hiking on soggy ground in consistently wet and cold conditions (PNW this time of year for example) yes, you want a waterproof boot paired with gaiters.

Properly fitting gaiters will even keep water out of your boot while fully immersed for a reasonable amount of time.

Military needs don't translate 1:1 to needs as a civilian. A guy doing the Ranger course probably can't wear gaiters (whether you have waterproof boots or not) even though they make obvious sense to anyone that's walked more than 100m into a coastal rainforest.
>>
>>17399

Nigger, most normal civilian people dont go hiking for 3 weeks straight in a swamp.

Sure drainage is better than waterproof if you might have to hike up a river for 6 hours straight. Most of us would just use a canoe or kayak for that instead of arguing about how to play army best.

If you're hiking muddy trails in wet conditions, yes, waterproof boots are superior.
>>
>boot thread
>no sock thread
Fuck it, dualpurpose time.

Any recommended brands for lightweight >70% wool socks? Live in a semi-tropical environment and I've started hoofing the ~3 mile trip to work.

Price isn't a huge issue, but I'm not gonna spend $20 for one pair of socks either.
>>
File: Capture.png (278KB, 481x698px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
278KB, 481x698px
Hey /out/ists, I recently came across a free and used pair of newbalance "all terrain" shoes literally a day before I was intending to buy some new mids for hiking. I'll be doing moderate Pennsylvania mountains and trails. Will they hold up or should I still get some new ones? Pic kind of related the model is older.
>>
>>17448
Darn Tough Socks

>Price isn't a huge issue, but I'm not gonna spend $20 for one pair of socks either.
Still Darn Tough Socks. But if you're gonna be a fag then Costco has packs of merino socks that are decent.
>>
>>17450
ugh, right at that uncomfortable pricepoint

guess I'll pick up a pair to give them a shot anyway, thanks for the rec
>>
are there options which are more /fa/core?
>>
Red pill me on why skateboard shoes are no good. I had to wear them on an emergency walk of fifteen miles and they aren't that bad
>comfy
>wide footing can walk on mud with ease
>stylish
>can easily climb things with wide footing
>pretty durable construction
>can easily traverse fallen tree bridges with wide footing

Am I the only one that thinks that skateboard shoes are /out/ shoes?
>>
File: merrell.jpg (265KB, 1187x1187px) Image search: [Google]
merrell.jpg
265KB, 1187x1187px
Are Merrell boots good? I'm looking to buy a pair or hiking shoes/boots but I'm not sure what brands are best.
>>
>>
>>17402
Same. Only boot that fits my narrow ankles and wide forefoot.
>>
>>17454
moabs are widely considered great boots. lots of spec ops guys use them.
>>
>>17454
comfy, light, grippy, gotta buy one each year
>>
>>17457
Yea I've seen quite a few group guys use them. I've also seen them wear sketchers though so idk
>>
>>17453
>Not waterproof
>No ankle support
>>
What is the /out/ opinion on these?

We get them issued here in the Army, and I was wondering if I need to buy own or these will do fine.
>>
File: sal.png (305KB, 1211x649px) Image search: [Google]
sal.png
305KB, 1211x649px
Are these salomons (or salomon in general) any good?

I have some no-name boots that are about 8 years old (not much use) and looking to get a new pair.

Germanfag
>>
>>17462
sorry, forgot link:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00ZLMO4Y0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=FD307QJ54WS3&coliid=I2BISX710190UE&psc=1
>>
>>17449
What're the reviews like? Post link to the page
>>
Ankle support is a meme. Unless you're retarded you should be fine with low cut shoes. Prove me wrong
>>
File: glorious_wop_boots.jpg (179KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
glorious_wop_boots.jpg
179KB, 1200x1200px
What I wear. These are great in rugged terrain.
>>
>>17466
Hows the goretex?

It's supposed to be breathable but waterproof right? Is that the case?
>>
>>17454
Merrel Moabs are great. I've owned three. One pair I got from a thrift store for 3 bucks and I'm sure it was years old and I've worn it for a year and it's still great.

Sierra trading post has them for much cheaper than the other retailers.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/merrell~b~13400/
>>
>>17460
Both of those things are memes.

You don't need waterproof for the majority of terrain and most shoes' WP will fall apart.

Ankle support is rarely necessary unless you're totally DYEL and can't support your own body weight.

BTFO
>>
File: sport-insole-1pr-facing-down.jpg (267KB, 2082x1120px) Image search: [Google]
sport-insole-1pr-facing-down.jpg
267KB, 2082x1120px
I have a pair of keens but the insoles aren't great. What you you recommend as replacement insoles?
>>
>>17467
Waterproof af, lightweight, breathability is questionable though. Unless I'm wearing a really good pair of socks, I still get clammy feet.
>>
File: SIDAS_ACTIVE SOLE MID.jpg (697KB, 3506x2327px) Image search: [Google]
SIDAS_ACTIVE SOLE MID.jpg
697KB, 3506x2327px
>>17470
Depends totally on your feet and person to be honest.

I went to a flashy sports store and bought this pair of insoles for my specific size and foot arch,
>http://www.sidassport.com/nos-produits/running/semelle-3feet-activ-mid-400-2.html
In hard foam / gel combo or whatever it is (construction is hard foam but has a gel part at the heel). Still a bit to hard to march on asphalt but my feet are very comfortable in my shitty non ergonomic china boots thanks to them. Top fabric got loose after 4 weeks of commuting use though, so its hard to recommend a 30€ "quality" insole thanks to that. So just go to a shop that either specializes in foot care or that has big focus on shoes and insoles and try out models until you find one that fits nicely in your boot (a major annoyance in the fit will stay, a minor annoyance in fit will most likely go away after a few usages).

If you gonna stand still or move around in urban areas more then I think you should try out a gel insole.
If you are only out in nature then a hard foam insole will do.
And the foam/gel combo is better than both in 80% of all circumstances but costs twice as much.

Don't dwindle to much on it though, just buy and try until you find one that fits your feet and walking style primarily.

If you have trouble with your feet/legs then you should probably try out two insoles at the same time, one that is hard foam and one that is gel.
>>
>>17430

Implying Merrell aren't the best boots going
>>
>>17469

This anon is right

Ankle support is total horse shit in shoes.

Waterproofing is shit too and will just make your feet more clammy.
>>
>>17474
Walking a lot on stones and rough terrain "requires" stiff sole and raised heel but fucks up the foots natural movement, so you need ankle support to compensate for heel striking etc. When front/mid foot striking the ankle and muscles are already engaged and you wont twist your ankle.
>>
>>17473
Merrells are fucking garbage but cheap. Anyone who has put any amount of time into them knows that they disintegrate with a quickness.
>>
>>17476
i have contradictory anecdotal arguments
>>
>>17419
How do you become a surveyor?
>>
>>17478
just go to a office and ask if they are hiring. rodman don't really have to know much.
>>
>>17479
then you run the equipment, then a crew. It's starting to be replaced with one guy n a robot. But they still need people.
>>
>>17462
I've got a pair of the GTX Quest 4D and they're the comfiest things I wear. I actually end up wearing them a lot in the city because they're great for trekking around.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5039-492/Quest-4D-2-GTX-Hiking-Boots
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.