[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpack General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 59

File: stratos.jpg (84KB, 499x1500px) Image search: [Google]
stratos.jpg
84KB, 499x1500px
I'm looking at getting my first backpacking pack. Currently looking at the Osprey Stratos 50 (pic related) or the Osprey Aether 60. I've never really gone backpacking before but I've heard 50-60L would be good for weekend or multi-day backpacking. I'm leaning more towards the Stratos because I would rather pack lighter. Any recommendation? Also, is AG just a meme or should I be looking into AG models?

Also general backpack questions and whatnot
>>
File: MEAN_OPERATOR.jpg (110KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
MEAN_OPERATOR.jpg
110KB, 720x960px
>>15306
Wouldn't more straps and stuff be good? In case you suddenly want to bring a sleeping bag and a tent etc.

I like my Bergans Viking 90L+. It's so adjustable
>>
File: Savotta Jääkäri backpack.jpg (163KB, 656x900px) Image search: [Google]
Savotta Jääkäri backpack.jpg
163KB, 656x900px
>>15307
I mean for a zombie apocalypse backpack I would be getting pic related but I'm just talking about a hiking and camping pack where I'm not looking tacticool af.

90L would be way too much for what I'm thinking of.
>>
>>15306
go buy the cheapest 50l you can find. starting with a 50 will help keep you from overpacking too much as a beginner, starting good habits early, and using a cheap pack will help you learn what features you want in a pack (what the pack has that you like, has that you don't like, and wish you had but doesn't) without feeling bad about having spent a lot off the bat and wanting to buy a better suited pack in a season or two. then, when you actually know what size and features you want and have in mind a couple packs that fit your desires, find a store that keeps them in stock, load them up with some weight, and wander around the store in each of them for half an hour or so and see how they really feel on you.
>>
>>15309
Agreeing with this guy. Got a 35L for $25. It weighs under 2 pounds and is big enough for anything I need. I have a 55L that I never fill to full capacity.
Be mindful of how much the pack itself weighs. Some of them are unreasonably heavy.
Ospreys are nice for the lifetime warranty, but I've never destroyed a backpack that much.
>>
>>15306
OP, are you me?

I'm thinkin' Stratos for my next buy.
>>
>>15306
backpacks are one of the most preferential /out/ things I find. But I'd recommend looking at a deuter rise. I have a rise pro 34+ and I can say you might want something in the > 45 range if you plan to be out for more than a weekend. But I also find it very versatile and well thought out and most importantly comfortable.
>>
File: teton scout 3400.jpg (140KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
teton scout 3400.jpg
140KB, 1000x1200px
>>15309
So like (pic related) one of these cheap Amazon Teton Scout 3400 packs? I think that one is like 55L and has a bunch of good reviews. It's $70. Anyone have experience with one of these?

>>15310
Yeah I think 35L might not be big enough but I'm going to see about a 45-55L that I can test out.

>>15311
Yes.... I am you. I forgot our login for Amazon tho, send me those details so we can get that Stratos to my house. I mean your house. I mean our house.

>>15312
I definitely want something that isn't too big for a weekend trip but that I can also pack for a multi-day trip if need be.
>>
File: 20170125_214658-picsay.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_214658-picsay.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
If you're going to spend $70 on a cheap 50L pack, make it a good one. The kelty redwing 50 is used by a bunch of anons here, I love mine.

It's not perfect, but it's miles better than most for the price. The new model is like $130, but the last model you can find much cheaper on Amazon, sometimes as low as $60, and sometimes it goes on woot.com for less.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R6B7EG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_HulTyb2RB9GK1
>>
>>15306
Depends widely on what you intend and how you want to travel.

I have done 3 nights in spring with a 35L bag by not carrying a full tent or stove or pots.
I have done 3 nights in winter with a 70L bag carrying full expedition kit.

In summer you could easily pack 3 nights into a 35L bag if you don't fill it with a fat tent or cookware.

Keep in mind that a 70L bag could replace a 50L or 35L if needed, but the reverse is not true, so if you're going to be doing multi-day trips I generally think that bigger is better unless you intend to buy multiple packs, since this opens more possibilities without immediately buying more gear.

Personally I have:

11L pack - summer daytrips
35L pack - spring-fall 2-3 nights, winter daytrips
70L pack - multiday around 4-14days
90L pack - 14day+ expeditions
>>
File: VXK0eEG.jpg (69KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
VXK0eEG.jpg
69KB, 640x320px
I would highly recommend the Russian SPOSN Tortilla rucksack.

You can get them from Grey-shop.com, most of their stock is the same shit the russian military use, so you know it's not cheap shit that will break
>>
>>15306
I guess I went the other direction than a lot of the anons here. My first bag was a cheap walmart bag that couldn't have spent more than $30 on. It was basically just big enough for a camelbak, some food and a tarp tent if that was my thing.

Eventually I wanted to do a few nights with the gf, so I got an 80L from Kelty. I'll never need more backpack and if I want to pack less, I just pack less. I don't even use my small pack right now, and it'll probably end up an emergency bag for the truck when I get around to packing it.

Here's a picture of me being an idiot.
>>
File: kelty-redwing-50-review.jpg (221KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kelty-redwing-50-review.jpg
221KB, 1200x1000px
>>15314

I own 2 redwing 50L packs, the new models. They are far from perfect but they are solid packs to give to friends.

I live in florida so there's no need for fluffy sleeping bags and lots of layered clothes BUT the side pouches and outer quick stuff pocket would be great for layer changes.

My two gripes with the redwing 50 new model are:
- the waviness of the shoulder straps feels like it puts pressure on my corroded artery. Not much just enough to give me a headache until i re-adjust them.
- there are no pockets on the hip straps to store my phone / camera for pictures and my leatherman for quick multi-tool access.

The things I like about it are as follows:
- the pack can be unzipped like a suitcase to get at the bottom without unpacking.
- the pack has molle straps sewn to the underside where I can securely attach my sleeping pad and longer tools.
- The padding & ventilation for your back feels much better than other packs i've used.
- I love how its just black, with no fancy accents or bullshit so concealing it in a bush is easy.
- the pack fits without any gimmicks; just tighten or loosen 2 straps in seconds. It fits everyone that i've given it to instantly.
- it weighs less than other similar priced, similar volume packs

https://kelty.com/redwing-50/
>>
File: 894629.jpg (25KB, 313x440px) Image search: [Google]
894629.jpg
25KB, 313x440px
>>15318

I also had (but returned) an ozark trail 45L pack (walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-45L-Montpelier-Ad-Pack/49332921) it was good for a quick, cheap pack but I felt it was a timebomb waiting to screw me on the trail.

I then purchased a north face 65L terra pack, which i still have. It is a very good pack except for the weight and adjustment needs to be done off the body, and the adjustment latch could snag and become loose.

If the pack weighed less, I'd use it more.
>>
Looking at upgrading in the near future here. I've been using an ALICE pack for about 5 years now whenever I go hiking or camping. I'm looking at the Osprey Aether bags right now, but I'm unsure on which size would be a good purchase. What would you guys recommend?
>>
File: eggman does not approve.jpg (13KB, 167x243px) Image search: [Google]
eggman does not approve.jpg
13KB, 167x243px
>>15320
the size that holds all your shit.
>>
>>15318
Oh sweet I see they finally got rid of that stupid spine pincher.
>>
A couple of really cheap backpacks I've been looking at:

1. Mardingtop 50L - $70
2. Mountaintop 70L+10L - $80
3. WASING 55L - $50
>>
>>15320
It depends on what activities you have in mind and in what climate.

My go-to backpack is 70ltr. That's more than enough for 2-3 day trips in the spring/summer/autumn, perfect for 2-3 days in the winter and for longer 7+ day hikes at other times and just a little small for longer, more seroius winter trips - but will do.

Of course ultra-lighters could do all theese things with about 10-20 liters less in each category, but they are not most people.
>>
>>15306
First pack I bought was 60L from my local army disposals and it's lasted 9 years. A 60L pack carries all the things I need plus a bit extra depending on what my plans are, usually I just take extra water and dry food.
>>
File: v69mj sm.jpg (143KB, 500x789px) Image search: [Google]
v69mj sm.jpg
143KB, 500x789px
Osprey? Really?
>>
>>15326
>8lbs
Why? My entire sleep system; tent, pad, sleeping bag, hammock, bugnet, and tarp all weigh less than that. JFC.
>>
>>15323
They're all just Chinese made knockoff garbage.
>>
>>15326
Why would anyone carry something like that? It's awful.
>>
File: banchee.jpg (87KB, 638x745px) Image search: [Google]
banchee.jpg
87KB, 638x745px
50-60 is a really versatile size and great for your first pack (presuming you already have like a 20-25) for smaller trips.

this is what i use. i love it. it does exactly what i need it to very well and is really well organized.
>>
>>15315
backpack lists? backpack lists!

me:
>rei flash 18
light daypack
>osprey manta 28
heavy daypack
>rei pinnacle 40
beater cragging pack/overnight pack
>gregory baltoro 75
multiday pack
>osprey poco plus
kid hauler

wife:
>gregory or nathan trail running pack
i've forgotten which brand
>gregory 30l
>deuter 45l

kid:
>deuter jacko
>>
>>15306
Anti Gravity isn't a meme. Get the Atmos instead of the Aether.
>>
File: 1406245164480.jpg (36KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1406245164480.jpg
36KB, 600x450px
>>15316
>the same shit the russian military use, so you know it's not cheap shit that will break

vatnik please
>>
>>15328
Where do you think name brand backpacks are made?
>>
>>15334
But they at least have a company behind them, a warranty, and a good reputation.

There's a big difference between a name brand pack made in china, and a cheap generic knockoff made in china.

It's like saying a Samsung phone is the same quality as a Goophone i6 (it's a real phone).
>>
File: 15257478504_6db84f75eb_o.jpg (3MB, 2413x2616px) Image search: [Google]
15257478504_6db84f75eb_o.jpg
3MB, 2413x2616px
>>15329
>Why would anyone carry something like that?
Operator wannabes. Git gud with the times, anon.
>>
>>15330
This is a very reasonable post, OP. I wouldn't go much bigger than 50L or 60L. But what it really boils down to is what your goals for backpacking are. What sort of climate will you be backpacking in? How long will your average trip be? Do you want to pack as light as possible, or bring unecessary but nice creature comforts?
If you don't really know these answers, I would recommend what was said earlier and just get a 30L-50L cheap backpack so you can figure out for yourself what you want in a pack. Once you know the features you want and the ones you don't, it'll be much easier to find the right backpack for YOU.
Don't be afraid of "cheap Chinese knockoffs". Especially since this will likely be a 1 or 2 season pack until you upgrade to one more specific to your needs. I've had a lot of luck with my REI Flash 30 clone from AliExpress.
The main thing I would emphasize is that a lot of packs are HEAVY. Pay attention to the base weight of the pack. Don't screw yourself over by having an 8lb starting weight on an empty pack.
>>
>>15335
Sure, if I were paying $100+ for a pack, I could see that. And there are certain items I wouldn't risk to the unknown.

I personally have never had any issues with the generic brand gear i do get though. Reading reviews on anything before purchasing is definitely advised, however.
>>
>>15337
Be very afraid of cheap Chinese knock offs.

When you're 10 miles from anywhere, and your pack strap breaks, and you have to walk 10 miles with your pack on one shoulder, you'll know why you should have spent another $10 on a name brand pack.

Trust me in this, I lived it.
>>
>>15339
For the $10 difference, you're absolutely right. But for me personally, that chance is worth the $70 I saved (I currently use a no-name clone of a more expensive name brand pack). I pack rarely more than 20lb. I'm admittedly not a hardcore backpacker, but for my needs the pack suits me fine.
>>
Alice frame with a small garbage bin strapped to it.
>>
>>15337
OP here, I will mostly be doing trips in WA state, so cold and wet. Average trips will probably start out as weekend trips but I want to eventually do longer trips and eventuallyally thru hike parts of the PCT and then eventuallyallyally the whole PCT but that will likely be far down the road as I don't have time or funds for that right now. Right now I'm feeling like I want to pack light with just the essentials and maybe some light comfort items.
>>
>>15328
I said they were cheap I didn't say they came with a warranty. And yes most of your gear is made in China. Deal with it.
>>
>>15309
I disagree. I bought into the uberlight fad and got a 20L pack for day hiking. It's always packed full and I can't bring everything I want. I have to decide between bringing books or a hammock because both won't fit
>>
>>15342
Oh okay, I'm in WA too. I'm assuming you're west of the mountains. You should be fine with 35L-45L. You don't have to pack much in Spring/Summer. Looks like there's plenty of good recs in that size range here. Start cheap to get a feel for it imo then move up to something fancy down the road if you feel like it.
>>
Packs are all made quite well these days, if you're spending $200+ it will definitely not let you down. 50l is a good size for multi day hikes, however it depends on how much you pack, what other equipment you have etc.
if budget conscious you can always find a used pack on gumtree thats only a couple of years old as I've found they don't hold value all that much.
>>
hey guys which brands make some good 3rd party ruck systems in ACU/OCP or Tan?Ranger Green? I don't care for the standard issue ruck for my NG unit TA-50, my unit SOP is "wear what ya want but you'll carry it" so i'm good on getting a 3rd party one
>>
File: 1445984800932.jpg (67KB, 614x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1445984800932.jpg
67KB, 614x1024px
>>15339
>knock offs are only $10 less than namebrand
you know how i know you've never actually bought a backpack?
>>
>>15319
Tnf packs are sub par at best friend

>>15320
The aethers are great packs bro. Super light and comfortable. 70L is pretty flexible. Can't remember the name of the
pack but mountain hardwear makes a 70L that's light durable and fully waterproof. Around 350CAD

>>15311
>>15306
If you're willing to go a little bit smaller, i highly recommend the kestrel 48. I tried it on the other day and it's much like the aether; light and comfortable. It also comes in a 68
>>
>>15349
Airspeed > Airscape

Ever since owning an Osprey with the Airspeed harness, I can't go back to anything else.
>>
>>15348

be a man of your word
>>
>>15348
A cheap generic pack on amazon is about $60.

A kelty redwing can be had for $70 (got mine for $60).

Do some research friendo.
>>
>>15348
Wasing 55L pack (generic knockoff) $49

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DZK68IO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_IRSTyb8QXA6JP

Kelty Redwing 50 (name brand) $66

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009R6B2ZA/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R6B2ZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_iTSTyb0GGFA3H?vs=1

There's not that much difference. Maybe it's more than $10 difference for some packs, but the point remains the same. Spend slightly more, get much better.
>>
File: challenger.jpg (25KB, 317x606px) Image search: [Google]
challenger.jpg
25KB, 317x606px
My newest acquisition, gonna take this innawoods and cities around the world with me. Wanted something that looked a little less conspicuous.
>>
bumb and test.
>>
I know OP asked about backpacking packs and I am dumb as a doorknob but camping has always interested me and I've finally got the funds to get /out/ more; does anyone here have any pack suggestions for carrying a tent and some other fuckery for a 2-3 day camping trip? No idea how many Ls I'd need, but I'm not looking to bring the kitchen sink.
>>
>>15356
see >>15309
>>
>>15357
im one of the folks that disagrees with buying the cheapest bag you can find because you are playing against a clock. find an older model of a well reviewed bag on sale or a gently used one on fucking ebay or something.
>>
>>15358
i didn't say the cheapest NEW backpack. my beater crag pack was a thrift store score.
>>
I'm doing a two week hike with some first time hikers. What size backpacks do y'all suggest? I was thinking 55-60L
>>
>>15350
To each their own. I tried the atmos and absolutely hated it. The strap compounds on bags like the kestrel and aether are god tier
>>
>>15360
Depends on your gear
>>
File: 81eN0REfx2L._SL1500_.jpg (233KB, 777x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81eN0REfx2L._SL1500_.jpg
233KB, 777x1500px
>>15313
Also thinking about getting that one. Anybody got experience with it?
>>
File: IMG_3479.jpg (256KB, 2000x1800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3479.jpg
256KB, 2000x1800px
>>15306
>tfw feel so insignificant and emasculated with my tiny 11L daypack....
>tfw lightweight memeface
>>
File: 58602_188_01.jpg (555KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
58602_188_01.jpg
555KB, 2000x2000px
what do you guys think of this? 55 liters
>>
>>15363
My buddy has one and He say's its really adjustable and it dosent put the weight on his shoulders, Plus it comes with a free Rain cover.
>>
>>15365
Just make sure that the hip belt is good. Can't really see anything on this pic
>>
>>15363
They're good for short people up to 5'9", but it starts to get a little uncomfortable for people taller than that
>>
>>15367
>>15365
I own a Rush 72 and it's a decent bag
Weighs ~5 pounds (a bit on the heavier side,) has plenty of pockets to organize small items
The hip and chest strap on it work great to keep it comfy
A tent can be attached to MOLLE webbing on the bottom, or secured on the side with the compression straps
If you don't mind people giving you a hard time for using le military backpack, it's not a bad choice
>>
File: halp.jpg (59KB, 1200x1235px) Image search: [Google]
halp.jpg
59KB, 1200x1235px
>>15306
This a copy pasta of my thread in k; I'm planning on going innawoods and i font want to fuck my back over in the long term, so I'm putting a good amount of money to my pack. Pic related is the pack I've got my eyes set on but half k is a lot of money. I've been told Hill People Gear and Mystery Ranch are good, and not as expensive to the point that I can find some on ebay. Any tips? I only want to buy a pack once in my life so I'm set on this pack being worth every cent it costs. Thanks!
>>
File: mil tec assault.jpg (30KB, 749x573px) Image search: [Google]
mil tec assault.jpg
30KB, 749x573px
>mil tec assault backpack
im pretty fuckin happy with it . aside from what people tell about it . 36L is all that i need
P.S. not operator wannabe , ruck just looked good to me
>>
>>15371

For extra bushcreds, you can probably get your own trollface.jpg brand "Yakeda" Molle-webbed bag from alibaba.com for like 25 USD. Same form factor as your bag.

Pic related
>>
>>15344
>buy the cheapest 50l you can find
Isn't 20l like a school backpack??? Of course it won't fit shit.
>>
>>15318
The headahe isn't due to carotid artery pressure, simply because it lies too deep in the neck, making it so muscle tension would be the main cause of pain. Should straps with a lot of weight strain the trapezius muscle making it so you have a headache. Simply load more weight on the hipstraps and your problem should be cured.
>>
>>15363
I'm about 6'6 210lbs and own the 65l version (4000). I got it on sale for $67 and it's great. I've loaded it up with 40lbs no problem, and it's adjustable for my height.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8KB, 195x259px
>>15370
>>
File: packLineup.jpg (149KB, 1135x447px) Image search: [Google]
packLineup.jpg
149KB, 1135x447px
This is my current lineup:
>older model Osprey Atmos 65L
>Kestrel 48L
>Patagonia Ascensionist 25L
>Daylite

I don't backpack but I need a large pack for my dayhikes as a park ranger. I generally use the Atmos in the Summer since it's got the best weight distribution (although the cushioning is completely worn out on mine) and it's when I have to carry the most gear, usually in the 40-60lb range.

I switch to the the Kestrel during winter patrol or if I have an easy day during the warmer seasons.

I use the other two packs as daypacks. The Patagonia one was kind of a vanity buy but it's a nice lightweight pack. I use the Daylite more often especially if I'm going trailrunning since it has a nice snug fit.

Will answer any questions about these or similar packs.
>>
>>15375
Gangsta. Thanks anon. Definitely buying.
>>
>>15349
>TNF packs are subpar

I gotta disagree. Overpriced- yes. But if you can get a good discount on one the new weight/air whatever system they got going on is really great, they organize well, nothing on them breaks for unreasonable reasons, and the straps are comfy as fuck.
>>
File: unaweep 4800.jpg (219KB, 800x567px) Image search: [Google]
unaweep 4800.jpg
219KB, 800x567px
>>
>>15377
I'm just starting to get into hiking and really want an osprey. I mainly want to hammock and do 1-3 night hikes. I probably wouldnt bring much cooking gear and pack fairly light and just use prepackaged shit like a bag of tuna or potted meat. Any suggestions?
I'm 5'9 170 pounds 33 waist, fairly in shape from weight lifting quite a bit.
>>
>>15381
>really want an osprey.
>Any suggestions?

yeah, don't get hung up on a specific brand name. go into a store and try some different ones on, with weight in them. find one that fits your body the best.
>>
>>15369
people really do that? why tho
>>
Also looking for a bag. Mostly for something that I can keep with supplies. (Bug out bag basically)
Would also use it also for any outdoor trips.
>>
>>15382
Same as the other guy basically, just 6'6 and need a pack that can have rocks put in it as I'm a geologist.
Don't know why everyone in /out/ of all places thinks that everyone has access to a store to try things out, I would probably have to drive at least 4 hours to find any semblance of store that allows you to try anything on.
Been looking at the atmo for a few years but am worried about the padding issue since its been brought up before, going to grad school soon so I need a pack that can be put through 10 years or so.
>>
>>15385
>Wants to buy a backpack without trying it on.
A backpack that doesn't fit is hell. Even if it's REALLY close to fitting.
>>
>>15386
Never tried anything before buying because the only place I know that allows fitting is a shitty strip mall that only sales 2 brands.
Have a daylite (doesn't matter as much since it is such lightweight) and all the boots I've had have worked fine.
Literally have not seen backpacks being sold in a store before, even if there is a local one I can find I'm not going because I'm aspie as fuck.
Probably will end up just ordering a backpack and sending it back if it doesn't fit well.
>>
>>15385
>6'6
all the more reason to figure out a way to try it on. most packs aren't designed for your height. especially if you're putting a heavy load in them.

if you absolutely can't try them on in a store order a couple together from a company with a very good return policy, and look up on line how to adjust them properly.
>>
>>15388
That's a big reason I was thinking osprey, rei seems to have a nice return policy.
Of course I've been looking at reviews specifically for people as tall as I, now I just need to find a good place for reviewing boots.
>>
>>15389
>boots
the only thing worse to order online than backpacks...

honestly if i were in your position i'd make a list of everything i wanted to try out and suck up the 4 hour drive.
>>
File: 1477599950104.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1477599950104.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>15389
>>15385

>>15390
>Pic fucking related
Yeah, for real son, especially with your size, getting boots and packs online is a mistake.

I'm tip-of-the-bellcurve medium-sized (5'10", 170lbs, 10.5D shoe size, 32x32 pants). Literally everything on the planet is made with me in mind. And it's STILL a massive pain in the ass to get correctly-fitted shit.
>>
>>15391
>>15390
My pant size is 32 at the waist and 36 length, have never found pants that fit me in store from an actual real brand.
13 shoes but with a narrow foot so it's odd to find shoes, ordered some running shoes a couple years back that fit perfectly, made sure to research them exhaustively to figure out exactly how they fit.
Shirts are the worst though, it's almost impossible to find clothing that is made for tall people that aren't fatasses (180lbs), medium tall doesn't cut it sometimes and even those are rarely made.

Didn't come in this thread to whine or make excuses, just curious how important backpack sizing really is.
The aspie issue really is a bigger deal than a 4 hour car ride, even if I don't blow my brains out from the stress of driving in a city no way in a hell am I talking to an employee at a store and let them watch me try something on.
I've never even bought something that wasn't self-checkout or online.
>>
>>15392
With weight it's the difference between being sore as fuck and rubbing in all the wrong places or having completely pleasant hikes where you barely feel the weight anywhere but your legs.
Seriously packs that aren't fitted right are fucking terrible. I am not exaggerating. Even if I bought the pack elsewhere I still go to REI and have them help me with fitting it because just having another set of eyes and hands that know what they're doing makes a world of difference after a few miles with 45lbs on your back.
It's a the packs you're looking at are hundreds of dollars. You really wanna drop the dosh and have an ill-fitting, uncomfortable pack for 10 years?
>>
>>15393
>It's a the packs you're looking at are hundreds of dollars. You really wanna drop the dosh and have an ill-fitting, uncomfortable pack for 10 years?
I honestly don't see me in the foreseeable future being able to just walk into a store and ask someone a question, there's a reason I haven't ever been to a doctor since childhood.
I'll probably look up youtube videos of people fitting backpacks and just make due with whatever backpack I pick, I'm alright with a little discomfort, especially since I shouldn't be carrying too much weight I don't think.

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight, I'll be a bit more careful in how my backpack fits.
>>
Swedish LK35

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWEDISH-ARMY-BACKPACK-W-FRAME-NEW-OLIVE-GREEN-35-LITERS-GENUINE-SURPLUS-/301518065847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4633e090b7
>>
Karrimor SF Sabre 45
>>
>>15392
Former /out/fitter here. Do you know your torso length? That's actually the big measurement for backpacks. It's the distance between your illiac crest and your c7/t1 vertebrae (the ones that make a bump when you put your chin down) it's kinda awkward to measure by yourself but if you can get that number it'll determine your size. S/M/L in backpacks isn't about height or weight, it's about that torso length.

Osprey and REI have some packs with swappable hip belts, too, since you're a skinny guy. Deuter makes some good "one size fits most" packs and from my experience Black Diamond packs fit skinny guys well.
>>
>>15397
>packs with swappable hip belts
gregory, too. moosejaw set me up with a baltoro 75 with a medium pack with a small belt (6', 160 lbs) for no extra charge. they were the only company i found that would do it for free (and they even included the extra medium belt). though i did talk to a real person on the phone to make sure to get what i wanted, and i don't know if their customer service will be as stellar now that walmart bought them.
>>
>>15397
>>15398
Thanks m8s, I've stupidly haven't thought about how that if I get a backpack for my height it will probably be to wide like how shirts and such are made.
Definitely will look for one with swappable hip belts.
>>
I'm a total novice with a stupid question:

can a 50L pack like the Redwing realistically suit a weekend trip?

I'd have with me

Exped Mira II tent (4 1/2 lbs)
Mont XL sleeping bag (2 1/2 lbs)
Thermarest Z-Lite
MSR Whisperlite stove + pot
a gallon of water
a cold-weather jacket of some description
+ provisions

would I need something bigger than 50L? I'm reasonably fit but I don't want to take too much excess stuff
>>
>>15400
>can a 50L pack realistically suit a weekend trip?
yes. i've done multiday backcountry climbing trips (with all the extra gear that entails) with a 45.

and why are you carrying a gallon of water? get a filter, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>15401
I'm scared of that, can you really filter water out of ponds, puddles, etc?

also Australia's pretty dry m8
>>
>>15400
I can compress a *20 sleeping bag, a cannister for a couple small meals, a tent, sleep mattress, bag liner, shemagh, and various knick knacks into the ruck of a 35 liter that has a weird internal profile. 50 liters is more than enough for a weekend, especially if there is any sort of attachment points on the bottom.
>>
>>15402
>can you really filter water out of ponds, puddles, etc?
yes. running will taste better, and murky water will clog a filter faster, but you can still drink it.

>australia
i'd be more scared of this
https://youtu.be/MH_MObR3G54?t=112
>>
>>15402
You should have a filter no matter how much water you have.
>>
>>15404
fuck me dead, I'm never leaving my cum dungeon now
>>
I'm looking for a 50L pack, like a Kelty Redwing but its a little too much money for me. any suggestions?
>>
just got a Kelty Redwing 32L

It's a lot smaller than i thought it would be since I was hoping to use it for overnight hikes and stuff. But it's pretty well made. A little bit worried the straps are thin though
>>
>>15407
Camelcamelcamel.com

Set up a price watch for a redwing pack. At times they're $65 or less. If you can't afford thato. I'd suggest saving longer for a better pack.

Look at the last model redwing, not the newest. You'll save a lot.
>>
>>15409
>Camelcamelcamel.com
different anon than who you were responding to, but you are aweome. thanks for the link.
>>
>>15399
Hey, what did I say? It's not height, it's torso length. I'm 6ft tall, I'm a medium. A friend of mine is 6ft 4, he's also a medium. Another friend? He's 5'9 and he's a large, dude is all torso (seriously, he's weird looking).>>15400
>>
>>15381
I'm the guy you quoted. As >>15382 said, don't get hung up on brands. I like Osprey because of their guarantee and I'm getting a deal on them through my employer. Like anon said go into a store, and try the packs on, don't be afraid to take a long time. Most stores have weights and other junk to stuff into them so you can get a sense for what they'll actually feel like.

Deuter, Mountain Hardware, REI, EMS all make decent enough backpacks that are generally more affordable than Patagonia, Osprey or Arcteryx packs.

>>15385
As the other anons said, you really need to try one on. If you can't go to a store, order a few and return the ones that don't work out. If you're really looking to use this backpack for as long as you say you are then I would get one with a lifetime guarantee. Osprey has been really good to me in this regard, sending me buckles, re-stitching parts, etc. With Osprey it's free if they can just send you the part but if you have to actually send it in shipping can be expensive (I think it was like $18 to ship my Atmos 65).

One guy I met at a conference works as a rock climbing guide, has hiked the AT and PCT, said he was able to get them to send him a whole new pack but I've not been so lucky.
>>
>>15392
>The aspie issue really is a bigger deal than a 4 hour car ride, even if I don't blow my brains out from the stress of driving in a city no way in a hell am I talking to an employee at a store and let them watch me try something on.
>I've never even bought something that wasn't self-checkout or online.
>>15394
>I honestly don't see me in the foreseeable future being able to just walk into a store and ask someone a question, there's a reason I haven't ever been to a doctor since childhood.
ummm, you might want to talk to somebody about that. like, seriously.

and how the fuck did you make it through school and get a job?
>>
>>15411
I seem to be about 22/23 inches torso, most backpacks I'm looking at are suggesting M/L and in some cases XL.

>>15412
I've tried some Kelty and Osprey bags from relatives, Kelty felt weird on my body compared to osprey.

>>15413
My aspie comes to shine with intent.
Very easy for me to talk to people, but if there is even the slight hint of intent I panic and become very de-realized.
Still in uni so haven't had to do any interviews (yet), lord knows I will have to be on something when that day comes.
>>
I'd like some advice. Currently I use an assault pack for day hiking and overnights but my wife has started taking more of an interest in accompanying me recently. Also our daughter wants to go so I'm looking at outfitting us all in civilian gear.
I'm considering TNF even though I hear mixed opinions on the quality but I get a 50% discount on everything they make. Worth it or not?
>>
>>15415

i am >>15330 and >>15379

i used to have the pro discount on TNF gear (alas my friend changed jobs and i lost it) and i really like it. the quality issues with TNF is with some people buying stuff of their "fashion" and "lifestyle" lines for /out/ use. Just like Columbia and Patagonia (and now marmot here and there.. I SEE YOU MARMOT!!!) TNF has a few lines of product and not all of them are actually meant for actual out activity use. Two similar looking black tnf jackets can be VERY different. The one from our local outdoors store will be seemed taped, have heavy duty zippers, and better material. the one from bobs stores will be more suited for dressing like a late 90s east coast rapper.

personally i love the high end TNF gear and with the exception of my shell and the jacket i snowboard in, most of my outwear is TNF. My only issue with them is their price point. they are priced as if they were a tier one top of the line company when its really not. if you are doing overnights and day trips (even through hiking) the gear is really fucking great. if you are climbing K2, Eiger, and Denali--- probably not what you want to go with.
>>
>>15416
Sounds like it will suit our needs. Thanks anon.
>>
is there any backpack that has a way to attach decent sized pouches to the front of the waist belt or shoulder straps so i can put my camera there?

pic related, bundeswehr webbing
>>
An Osprey 70L is my go to pack. It's perfect for winter trips because I have a petite gf and need to carry a lot of shit to keep her comfy. It's oversized for mild weather trips but that doesn't bother me. I'm 6'-4" and fairly strong, and we can't do huge distances because the women will start bitching. Might as well bring a couple more frozen steaks and some beer.
>>
File: 5034394-TRL07.jpg (19KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
5034394-TRL07.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
I was looking in to getting the MEC Serratus 70 Backpack. What dose /out/ think of it?
>>
>>15371
how long have you used it?
Saw a 1.5 yrs review and it didn't look like very good quality.
one of the zippers had broken to the main comp. and the side straps was starting to rip at the joint.

Have you noticed anything with yours? or know of someone who has?

I was thinking of buying one, they're really cheap too
>>
File: yosemite valley floor.jpg (345KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
yosemite valley floor.jpg
345KB, 1024x683px
>>15320
i have a 65L atmos. its more than plenty of space 4-5 days. if you spend some money on decent gear and throw out crap you don't need then you can really make do with a smaller tighter pack vs a clumsy +80L

pic kinda related
>>
File: ZPCG.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ZPCG.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
Found pic related on Craigslist for $60. Gonna go try it on and make sure it's in good shape tomorrow. Hopefully I can talk him down a few dollars. Anybody have experience with these? It's called a Gregory Z Pack, looks to be about 10 years old but good materials and very light for its size (2.5lbs, 50l).
>>
>>15423
not that specific style, but i love my gregory baltoro.
>>
>>15332
>Get the Atmos instead of the Aether.
I've been comparing the AG Atmos 65 and Aether 60. I've been leaning towards the Atmos, but I'd love to hear what your reasons are.
>>
File: WEST_ELKS_DEC12_jpeg-78_600.jpg (48KB, 600x457px) Image search: [Google]
WEST_ELKS_DEC12_jpeg-78_600.jpg
48KB, 600x457px
Anything similar to the HPG Ute?

HPG are out of stock on that sadly...
>>
>>15306
Hey /out/, me and my family are planning to go on a trip to dig sites in southern mexico. What is a good backpack that has 40-50 lts of storage? We are trying to stay around 100$
>>
>>15426
Fjällräven has similar looking backpacks, maybe have a look.
>>
File: body bag.jpg (60KB, 518x720px) Image search: [Google]
body bag.jpg
60KB, 518x720px
>>15427
Bring one of these for each family member. Problem solved.
>>
>>15421
I use mine for about 5 years. The inside mesh pocket has a hole, because I stored something sharp in it. Otherwise no malfunctions. I'm really happy with it.
>>
>>15430
Tnx. I decided not to buy one, they sold it for arrounf 25 gbp, but every review ive seen there are the same problems; bad joints on the waist and shoulder straps. And always some problem with the zippers.

Could it be that mil-tec has a 50/50 good quality on their products?
I realy like the look of those backpacks.
And the molle system is just great.
But for now im gonna stick with my Bergans ;)
>>
Do you guys think this is worth it? I've got a 30l that's too small for some things, so it'd be my multi night pack. The hole isn't that bad and it's a respected pack, though a few years old.

Would I be better off getting a budget new one?

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/spo/5979628998.html
>>
>>15432
link's busted
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (224KB, 1486x1861px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
224KB, 1486x1861px
>>15433
Shit my bad, its pic related, a Gregory Baltoro 75l for $65. Has a small rip on the small left waist-bag thing
>>
Need help! I recently got a $50 amazon gift card and am planning to use that sum to purcahse a backpack. I'm looking for something that I could use for overnight. Ideally it could fit/have attachments for my tent (small, 1 person tent) and a sleeping pad. I currently don't have a credit or debit card so unfortunately the $50 is the current limit. Any advice on what backpack i could get? Thanks!
>>
File: baltoro lumbar.jpg (49KB, 600x293px) Image search: [Google]
baltoro lumbar.jpg
49KB, 600x293px
>>15434
i have a baltoro 75 and i fucking love it. paid $260 new on sale last summer, don't regret it at all. $65's a helluva deal, even if it's the previous generation.

>Has a small rip on the small left waist-bag thing
pocket on the hipbelt, or water bottle pocket? either way, that's a pretty trivial problem (as long as you don't put your car keys in it)
what generation is it? (you can figure it out pretty easily by looking at the style of the padding/grip in the lumbar area-pic related, if it's neither of those it's older). what size is it, and what size does gregory recommend for you?
>https://gregorypacks.com/gregory_fit_philosophy.html
if the size doesn't match, i don't care how good a deal it seems like, DON'T BUY IT. the point of having a 75 is to haul lots of shit comfortably, and if it's the wrong size it won't be comfortable. you can fake a wrong size daypack, but wrong size multiday will ruin your trip.
>>
>>15436
Pocket on the hipbelt, below the zipper on the side. It'd be an easy fix.

It looks like the older model on the left, though maybe even older.

I didn't know/consider sizing on it! Thank you, they'd suck to have it be uncomfortable during a long trek.

At 75l it'd be by far the largest pack I own, the next being a 30l osprey that I use for class and day trips. Is it ever too much room? As in cumbersome from not utilizing it enough?
>>
>>15437
75's big, i bought it because i want to be able to carry climbing gear for multiday trips, and i have a kid who'll i'll have to carry extra shit for when they're old enough to get into backpacking.

however, it has good compression straps and it's easier to have a pack that's 10l too big than 10l too small. just don't fall into the trap of "i have the room, so i'll pack it". that's a good way to end up humping a ton of weight you never use.
>>
>>15426

What features are you looking for specifically?
>>
>>15438
>however, it has good compression straps and it's easier to have a pack that's 10l too big than 10l too small.
Holy fuck, this. My 85L (and 85L is fuckhueg for the record) cinches down extremely well, to the point where it can be used as a daypack comfortably (which is nice for a week+ in the backcountry).
As long as you know not to bring shit you don't need a bigass pack that can compress down and retain weight distribution when not full is great. Not something I'd recommend to a beginner by any means but by the time you're doing trips calling for a pack that size you can use it effectively for shorter trips too.
I currently have a 30L daypack (it also cinches down like a dream when not full), a 50L I use for short trips, and the 85L for long trips or cold weather.
>>
>>15392
>>15394
These posts are way too relatable, it's depressing
>>
>>15439
>looks cool
>has a vaguely masculine name
>>
File: IMG_20170318_151216.jpg (2MB, 3154x2366px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170318_151216.jpg
2MB, 3154x2366px
>>15313
I already have a smaller Teton backpack that I like but I really want to get this one too.
Pic related is what I bought previously, I bought one with the bladder pack because I needed both the bladder pack and backpack and it was a cheap bundle. Bladder pack is okay. The mouth price can be a bit difficult to get water out because of the weird pull up cap designed, if it is misaligned slightly you get half air half water.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-19-21-18-55.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-19-21-18-55.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
Quick guys, buy or not?
>>
>>15444
38 + shipping 20, nah i'm say na dog.
>>
>>15445
get a 20 dollar of amazon no shipping.
>>
For anyone wondering about the squeeking coming from AG packs, I just saw this post over on dreddit:
"I've heard great things about the Osprey warranty but haven't had any need for it until my Atmos 65 AG developed a very irritating creaking/squeaking noise on my last trip on the AT. Searches on google offered no help.

I hit Osprey up on twitter and asked for any quick fix, assuming the warranty wouldn't cover it when they gave me a number to call and said the issue would be covered- no problem. They said that it comes from the "frame rubbing on the pack material" and that their team would "coat the frame with spray paint to prevent the squeaking".

Within minutes I had a cheerful conversation with one of their reps on the phone and shortly thereafter received an email with the RMA number and info needed to send it in.

Now to find a box that will fit it...

But seriously, this is some of the best customer service I've ever experienced with my outdoor gear. I've no reason to doubt the rest of the exchange will be equally as painless."
>>
File: ferrino-overland-60-10.jpg (25KB, 336x600px) Image search: [Google]
ferrino-overland-60-10.jpg
25KB, 336x600px
I have this ferrino 60+10 since 2015. It works fine. i'm looking for something smaller now, a daypack
>>
>>15409
Not that anon, thank you though. Great site, much obliged.
>>
File: crying-indian.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
crying-indian.gif
2MB, 320x240px
> nothing to do
> surf internet
> find deuter Aircontact Pro 60+15 graphite-black
> it's the 2017 model coming out this month
> 100€ less because it's in the low stock sale area
> over budget already because i bought a tent and a jerky machine.
> this must be a error, one time opportunity
> yet decide to sleep a night about it because i only have little in liquid funds left.
> go to bed
> price gone the next day
> not buying was the responsible thing
> don't know how i feel about this
>>
I'm one step ahead of OP I just bought my pack (60l Kelty Redstone) and I'm planning to do a 4 day 3 night with it come April in Southern Indiana. Is there an infographic/does anyone have advice on what to bring? I'd rather not over pack but the trail I'm planning to go on circles a lake so I'm anticipating colder nights. Anyone have advice they wish they'd known their first time or just general tips?
>>
>>15451
carry water bottles, not a bladder. a bladder's convenient for drinking while walking, but once it's empty to refill it you have to unpack your entire fucking backpack to get it out and back in.
>>
Does anybody have any experience with adding pockets/ modifying backpacks? And links to specifics sights or fourms would be great
>>
>>15452
???
Naw.
Bladders>Bottles.
Bring both, refill the bladder when you make camp at night, as you're unpacked anyway.
3L bladder + 1L bottle is the best setup for burning miles.

>>15451
A good warm mid layer, a good long underwear base layer, a pad with adequate insulation, and a bag with the right temp rating should be all you need for cold temps. A good rain layer is also a must.
Bring a contractor-grade 50-gallon trash bag. If you get serious rain, the waterproofing on your pack WILL fail. Pack things that you absolutely cannot get wet (spare clothes, sleeping bag) inside the cantractor bag inside your pack.
Wool socks are GOAT. Buy Costco ones, they're as good as all the overpriced brands you'll get at specialty stores. You can get them off Amazon if you don't have a Costco card.
>>
>>15451
OP here, good on ya for getting a pack. I still haven't got my shit together to get a pack.

About your trip, pretty much what >>15454
said.
I've never been to Indiana so I don't really know what cold is down there but here in Washington it gets pretty cold. Make sure you have a bag/quilt that is rated to 10 degrees below what the temp will be. If it's going to be 40F then get a bag that's rated to 30F. Also get an insulated pad and some long underwear (merino wool) and you will be fine. If you expect rain, definitely recommend the compactor bag to line your backpack. You don't want wet gear, you'll have a bad time. I also highly recommend wool socks, the brand I used is Darn Tough, they are a little more expensive but will last forever. Look for them on amazon.
Make sure you have the essentials:
>Map
>Compass
>Sun protection (shades/sunscreen)
>Headlamp (extra batteries)
>First aid
>Fire stuff (bic lighter, matches)
>Knife
>duct tape
>food and cooking supplies
>water and filtration
>>
File: 71Nlt7bvmiL._UY600_.jpg (67KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
71Nlt7bvmiL._UY600_.jpg
67KB, 600x600px
Is this any good for 1-2day camps?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TTAVTOI/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_4?colid=PDNE14HAOVWL&coliid=I1TNS2SBRA37B2&vs=1
>>
>>15452
>>15454
>>15455

thanks for the feedback, that trashbag idea is a keeper. I'm going April 8-11 so its still a bit early for forecasts but I appreciate the clothing advice. Already own plenty of wool socks but some long underwear sounds like a good potential investment.
>>
>>15306
Invest in quality gear early on. It'll save you hundreds down the road.

I have a ULA Circuit, I'd recommend any of their packs.
>>
>>15456
Haven't owned this bag in particular but I've owned one that was in the same style. The one I had was decent but not good for any sort of camping. Capacity was okay and was tough enough to lug around all my books and laptop for uni, but the straps on the front are only attached by a weak magnet, rather than being fastened into the fabric like the pick would have you believe.
>>
>>15459
O shi

Good info friend
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (152KB, 1028x789px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
152KB, 1028x789px
are reproduction backpacks quality made or are they intended strictly for reenactments or whatever? or should i wait to see if I can find an original sipulisäkki in good condition

perfect aesthetic, and functional enough for a short trip in woods
>>
>>15316
Yea dude Russian Milsurp Packs all the way, I personally love my Ataka-2
>>15306
I would personally recommend looking into Russian Military backpacks.
>Slav space magic
>Cheap
>Durable
>Russians train in the mountains a lot.
Otherwise I would recommend either mystery ranch
>Inb4 richfag comments
Or Deuter hope this helps.
>>
File: 91IMEcG+3fL._SL1500_[1].jpg (250KB, 802x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91IMEcG+3fL._SL1500_[1].jpg
250KB, 802x1500px
>>15306
I'm looking for a new daypack, preferably with an arched, trampoline back, between 20-30l.

Is this Berghaus a good buy for £35 ($44) ? Is Berghaus stuff still good quality, or it's just for fashion now?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019WBLKZG

There are no serious shops here to try bags out in person, unfortunately.
>>
File: arc-black-front-l.jpg (180KB, 660x960px) Image search: [Google]
arc-black-front-l.jpg
180KB, 660x960px
Just ordered a Zpacks Arc Blast and their Duplex tent. Anyone have experience with their gear?
>>
File: DSC04941.jpg (1MB, 2674x1781px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04941.jpg
1MB, 2674x1781px
What size literwise would you guys recommend for high alpine use and multiday tours from hut to hut in one? Any recommendations for a europoor?

>>15307
90l wtf, are you bringing your car in there? Seems like overkill for nearly everything except some zombie shit
>>
File: 456456.jpg (19KB, 220x231px) Image search: [Google]
456456.jpg
19KB, 220x231px
What's the best backpack for someone wanting to travel the world/country? I'd be train hopping, hitchhiking, and stuff. I plan to take a laptop and clothes, that's it. Super lightweight.

It needs to be strong, lightweight (none of the really big bags), and perhaps have some nice anti-theft features.
>>
File: fatman.jpg (71KB, 591x562px) Image search: [Google]
fatman.jpg
71KB, 591x562px
>>15463
Eyy, you followed the link! Good on ya!

Yeah, I have no personal experience with Berghaus, but it seems pretty nice. That freeflow design looks like it'd be super comfy on hot days too.
>>
>>15464
have been using an arc blast for almost 3 years, several months on the trail.

it works great, and as long as you aren't retarded with it, it will last a long time. I use a trash compactor bag as a liner, and pack clothes around any hard point objects in the pack. no signs of wear yet. the outside is in great shape too.

after making the "arc", I tie the extra cord around the line-loc to secure it in place. keeps it from slipping out.

rubbery walled platypus are a pain to get in or out of the side pockets. the old style smooth walled ones work well, as do bottles of course.

I like the belt pouches, and use one for snacks and the other for little gear things (compass, flashlight, etc)
>>
>>15456
These are more /fa/. They are only really good for maybe a day hike but mostly for /fa/ and travel carry on. I suggest you look into military surplus if you want a canvas bag that will do 1-2 day trips. If you can find a veshmesok(not as aesthetic) or an old swedish canvas and leather rucksack you'd be much better off.
>>
>>15380
i love xpac my current bag is an 11 oz frameless

>>15400
you are probably gunna even have a little extra room to fill

>>15464
their stuff is great. I want a duplex pretty bad but I dont have 500 to drop right now. Ive heard almost all good things about the arc blast. Any simple sack type bag like this is going to pretty much be the same, but the carbon fiber rods on the Arc Blast are what make it worth getting. Z packs is a great company
>>
>>15467
Heh, forgot to look for this, I'm a dumb faggot.

Yeah it looks comfy and for a day pack I can manage with a bit less durability if I can sweat less and impress the ladies. But I'm having doubts about which brands are serious and which are just city fashion..
>>
>>15471
I know most sc/out/s swear by Osprey, but I'm assuming you're in Europe and I'm not sure how easy it is to find their gear over there. Also they cost more.
>>
>>15306
I looked at the new osprey bags. I want them so bad but I need gas money and a new car so I'm stuck between High sierra and teton packs
>>
>>15368
Can confirm. Own one and am 6'4.
>>
>>15465
how high alpine and what season ? cooking yourself from time or buy food every meal? how big are you ? i would say something in the range of 50 to 70.

also 90L for winter camping is quite normal, you have a big sleeping bag and often carry it inside the bag. in general you have a lot more puffy gear vs the cold.

>>15466
stuff like the "Venturesafe EXP45 Anti-theft 45L carry-on travel pack" from pacsafe might be good for your task but its jesus christ lvl expensive.
>>
>>15475
High alpine as in up to 5k meter in the alps, so Mt. Blanc is the max. But I'll need glacierequipment. Will most likely stay in huts and eat there, but take some stuff for the way.

Ich have a 65+10l Deuter that I love, but it is way too big for summer season.
>>
File: IMG-20160831-WA0000.jpg (156KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160831-WA0000.jpg
156KB, 900x1600px
>>15476
Here is a pic of my pack and yes I packed too much
>>
File: 24940_1477_f.jpg (126KB, 800x940px) Image search: [Google]
24940_1477_f.jpg
126KB, 800x940px
Not sure if I'll get shit on for this... but oh well.

I bought a Marmot Kompressor Plus bag from Dicks sporting goods a year or two ago. Normal price is $65, I got it for a good deal $30 more or less. The new model was coming out so they were selling the old model. Its lightweight and works as a Daypack for myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Unisex-Kompressor-Black-Backpack/dp/B00M83XOTG/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1490702095&sr=1-2&keywords=marmot%2Bkompressor&th=1&psc=1

I added a 2L Platypus bladder into it... I love it.

Pic related
>>
>>15478
Correction I got an Osprey Hydraulics LT Reservoir - 1.5 Liters from REI
>>
File: ortlieb-elevation-pro-42l.jpg (297KB, 1069x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ortlieb-elevation-pro-42l.jpg
297KB, 1069x1500px
>>15477
>>15476
Then i would guess something around 50L (or a bit more but keep in mind im a almost 190 dude at 90 kg so even my normal clothes take lots more of volume and weight. then like a 165 grill)
i always carry crampons / ice pick are always outside of the pack on top and side.

anways a suggestion for packs are kind of hard because i like to buy high end gear second hand / ebay so it might seem like unrealistic and very expensive. anyways i would like something from the design like Ortlieb Elevation Pro 42L but at 230€ its like retarded expensive.

a Osprey Atmos AG 50 at around 150€ seem to be a good pack too, a friend has a some bigger trekking version and the strap / back area is like a big puffy mesh that is great for people that sweat a lot.

a cheaper option would be something like the Deuter ACT Lite 40+10 at 110€ ( they are releasing new 2017 models atm so shops often have sales) if you want to keep using deuters.

i sure there are like a million cheaper models just as good or better, i just don't check as often as i am a gear whore.
>>
Based daypack coming through
>25L
>hipbelt & sternum strap
>trampoline suspension
>ripstop material throughout
>water bladder / laptop pocket
>bungee external attachment straps
>removable aluminum frame

All for $20, found at Ross, easily best value I've seen in a small daypack
>>
File: 41r6CVAmrUL.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41r6CVAmrUL.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
>>15481
Shit forgot the picture
>>
File: $_57.jpg (22KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
22KB, 480x640px
>>15482
Back
>>
>>15423
In case anyone is interested, I ended up buying it. Just got back from a 2 night trip and it worked well, held all my stuff and was fairly comfortable. Materials feel a little flimsy but I only spent $50 so I'll just patch it until I'm tired of it and buy something else off ebay. Solid 8/10 for the money.
>>
Going to Japan mid-summer, and I'm on the market for a decent travelling backpack, wont be doing much countryside touring, mostly city and riding around trains. I'm looking for something /fa/-ish but mainly durable and practical, something decent sized as well in case I pickup some anime PVC on the way home. Any suggestions?
>>
>>15332
anti-gravity isn't a meme?
the whole difference between internal and external frames is that you can get the weight closer to your body with internal frame. If you remove that benefit, an internal frame is worse than an external.
>>
Got an osprey aether 70 on a medium frame (I'm 6'2 with a M to L torso but preferred the M when I tried it on). 2017 version that comes with a rain cover.

It's a bit bigger than I would normally use but my daughter has been joining me recently so dad has to carry a bit more until she gets a bit stronger.

Did a 3 day in the Lake District and it performed perfectly.

There's a lot of straps that take a while to figure out but internal compression works well.

I'm as yet a bit unsure about the top bag that comes off - seems like a good idea but it flaps onto the back of your head if you don't get the straps just right. I'll probably get used to strapping it down fairly quickly.

I like the fact it comes off though - we stayed at Red Tarn on Helvellyn one night and I used the top pack alone when we ran up to the summit the following morning.

Plenty of little pockets all over for sorting odds and ends out.

The anti gravity claim - absolutely accurate. I way overloaded it just to see (about 35kg of water) and when worn with the hip straps you wouldn't know it's there.

Well, until you start walking up hill and your legs feel it.
>>
I wish somebody made packs for big guys. Not everybody is 5'9, 125lbs. Bottom of 60liter pack rides in the small of my back instead of my hip
>>
>>15488
congratulations not doing any research or trying your pack on before you bought it. osprey packs are adjustable, and gregory packs come in different sizes.
>>
>>15480
Thanks for the advice, I will probably look for the deuter ACT Lite as I have only good experince with them and their service (free repair even for things that were my fault)
>>
Just picked up an osprey Atmos 50 the other week.
Absolutely enamored with it.
Can barely tell its there.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 230x219px
>>15421
i use it everyday for the span of 6 months . noticed nothing so far . and i pack it almost full
me veri likey
>>
>>15489
Congratulations on being a fucking douche and assuming a lot of shit.
>>
File: i dont do drugs.png (47KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
i dont do drugs.png
47KB, 259x194px
>>15493
so you're saying you did research, tried the pack on, and STILL bought one that doesn't fit?

you're an even bigger fucking retard than i thought.
>>
>>15488
I'm 6'5", and I'm a L in Osprey, not even an XL. Are you 7' tall, or just fat?
>>
File: 20150910_152801.jpg (588KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150910_152801.jpg
588KB, 2048x1152px
the AG squeeks, if this does not bother you i would say DEFINATELY go for it, it is a fantastic sustem. but by gthe gods the squeeking!, it is honestly alsmost unacceptable.

ruins the silence of hiking (nature sounds, ruins hiking with outher cause all they hear is squeek.

depsite of this, it is the single most comfortable backpack i have ever worn, the comfort and ergonomics is unparaleled, except for grabing water bottles in the upright position

T. Ospray AG owner
>>
>>15394
>I honestly don't see me in the foreseeable future being able to just walk into a store and ask someone a question, there's a reason I haven't ever been to a doctor since childhood.
Ironic, as that's a very good reason to go and see a doctor immediately.
>>
>>15331
Flash is a piece of shit. Fall apart so quickly, seen 3 of them shred from light use. Get the marmot kompressor instead.
>>
>>15498
i see your anecdotal evidence, and i match it with my own: i've had mine for 3 years, and it's been all over the world, up and down the sierra, and to the tops of mountains and it doesn't have so much as a pinhole, and my cousin's given one even more abuse for 6 years and it's still intact, too.

though i concede that $40 is a ripoff for a flash 18, but if you wait 'til they clearance out last year's colors you can get one for $20.
>>
>>15365
check out a Sandpiper of California bag, they are pretty well built
>>
File: 20170331_162859.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170331_162859.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>15464
Got it in today. Haven't tested it yet on trail, but wow it's nice. Clearly not as durable as my Windrider, other than that I like it so far
>>
Osprey Exos 58 with litespeed suspension or Osprey Atmos 50 with AG suspension.

Which to choose? Leaning towards the exos due to lighter weight. I usu6carry about 22 lbs total for winter, 18 during summer.
>>
File: mammut-trion-element-45.jpg (21KB, 414x600px) Image search: [Google]
mammut-trion-element-45.jpg
21KB, 414x600px
I’m going to Tajikistan this summer and now that I’ve seen this thread I’ve realised I might need a new backpack..

Right now I have a Mammut backpack (pic related) for ski touring and hiking, but it’s only got 2 pockets - main one (open from the top) and a small one on the top, and I don’t find it very adequate due to lack of pockets.

What kind of backpack would you recommend that would be good for backpacking, hiking at high altitude?
>>
>>15402
A Sawyer mini will take anything out of the water except viruses. If your area is known to have viruses in the water I'd recommend aquamira to purify it. You don't want to carry 8 lbs of water unless you have to.
>>
>>15503

I have a Millet that works great, and a Deuter.

These pocketless packs are the new meme fashion, they're dogshit if you need to get things in and out.

Just look at older models.
>>
>>15505
it's a spin off of ul where 2 ounces of material isn't worth the convenience, and the look's become popular. i love the pockets on my gregory baltoro-just the right number in just the right sizes in just the right places.
>>
File: katadyn-pocket-adaptor_large-1.jpg (61KB, 682x460px) Image search: [Google]
katadyn-pocket-adaptor_large-1.jpg
61KB, 682x460px
>>15402
yes i use most water sources in nature. i use tablets they weigh like 1g per L to purify anything depending on time (30 min-2 hrs for hardcore stuff like legionellas). the only problem is they don't help with chemical pollutants. but for that i use a charcoal filter in my drinking tube that i replenish with aquarium charcoal (100x cheaper same stuff, ask a fish guy how sensitive fish are). besides no matter how much water i drink the chance is low i would get a impactful dose from a few L over a few days.
>pic related

>>15503
check the deuter ones for sure the have lots of great offers at the moment since they want to get rid of old stock because of the 2017 model that came this month. at least in my country (due to a error i actually got the deuter 2017 aircontact pro 65+15 for 199€ because they offered it at the same price as the last year version. as they made the mistake to slap the discount on all deuter packs on their website new & old)

>>15505
yeah pocketless packs look nice but are kind of trashy fashion, there is plenty of stuff that makes great use of extra pockets like first aid sets, lunch pack, rain cloak, dirty laundry, camera, flashlight. all nice to have in a easy to find and reachable spot instead of the main compartment. far better to say "hey mate can u give me X it's in the side pocket" instead of rummaging through the whole pack.
but at least the previous "trekking backpack with detachable mini backpack" trend finally died.
>>
>>15507
you run it through a couple layers of charcoal sand charcoal sand. And boil it, you got to be alright, right?
>>
File: crown2_4024_wlid_reduced.jpg (196KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
crown2_4024_wlid_reduced.jpg
196KB, 1400x1400px
>>15306
Got pic related. Can't wait to try it out. I like that they added the hip belt pockets plus the neoprene material is so comf on the pads.
>>
>>15508
yeah should be fine 99% of the time.

the charcoal will absorb the chemicals, also reduce bad tastes / smells like sulfur from swamp water. as its highly reactive and binds them. the sand will catch other bigger particles. both will also reduce the viral/bacterial load a bit.
boiling for an appropriate will kill pretty much all dangerous bacteria and viruses.

even just boiling would be good most of the time. the rest is just for taste and looks, suspended clay in braun water, or the algae in swamp water won't make you sick after boiling. but rice cooked in swamp algae tea will taste like garbage. so you still filter.

there can ofcourse be dangerous chemicals like heavy metals in the water but as said short time exposure is fine unless it's like chemical dumping ground level of pollution or a area where evaporation can concentrate pollution like a seasonal lake, road runoff canal. just be aware where you get you water and what could be up stream.

just like you don't get cancer from one cigaret you don't get anything from 1 L of heavy mineralised water. but over long time issue may arise.
>>
>>15420
Not the best pack MEC makes.

I'd go for the Forge 75, or a Gregory pack.
Thread posts: 206
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.