[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thatching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: Thatch-01.jpg (130KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Thatch-01.jpg
130KB, 480x640px
Is thatching wirth the trouble?
>>
File: IMG_1053.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1053.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>999628
With plenty of resource's sure. But a more reliable roofing in my opinion is half logging. Use wedge's (can be made of wood or metal is you prepared) and split a log right down the middle, check the grain of the log to insure it does not twist when splitting. Lay the logs on top of one another to form a long tile.

Thatch is useful for bedding and as insulation in walls that are either held in with sticks or clay depending on your climate.
>>
>>999653
WOW what knife did you baton that in two with?
>>
>>999707
Mora
>>
Any information folks could provide to thatching/building shelters in a Minnesota climate/materials?
>>
>>999847
>Minnesota climate
That can bery immensely. I was hunting morels on the Iowa border yesterday and it was 70 degrees, now I'm up by Canada to trap beaver and it is snowing.

Find some large cedar or oak and split it with a froe to make shingles.
>>
File: 1490758084906.png (644KB, 1109x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1490758084906.png
644KB, 1109x1600px
>>1000074
Yeah I know, it's 60 in the cities right now and snowing just a couple hours up north. I'm just trying to get any information on shelter building, specifically for surviving winter. I'm kinda taking a break from life and going to live up there for a year or so. I'm pretty experienced with survival, but I don't know jack about building a good shelter.
>>
>>999628
It is worth the trouble if you are in an area with little to no trees, aka prairie/farmland.

splitting and wood tiling your roof takes alot less time if you have lots of trees to cut and process

clay for areas that have little rainfall, can be mixed and turned into clay roofing tiles.

stone tile can be done if shale is of the right quality/shape/size, and the roof is strong enough/at the right angles

Thatching will require maintenance/regular replacement AND will be a fire hazard/hard to insure without proper treatment.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.