[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

in my 21 years of life i have finally researched why the fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: 1476244774728.png (44KB, 104x141px) Image search: [Google]
1476244774728.png
44KB, 104x141px
in my 21 years of life i have finally researched why the fuck bikes are only able to go forward, however that only planted a new question in my mind.

Why the fuck are bikes set up so that they go forward? i understand the mechanism, but i just dont understand what advantage that gets to direct link between the pedals and the wheel.
>>
you'd understand if you ever had your shoelaces tangled on a fixed speed bike's pedals
>>
>>999322
i dont understand because i was not the retard that would forget to get his shoelaces tangled on the bike.
>>
>>999324
So you don't understand basic mechanics and gearing until someone explains it to you as an adult. And as an adult you still don't understand why bikes aren't made with reverse gearing, but you have the audacity to call someone else retarded?

Also take this shit to >>>/n/
>>
>>999321
On a related topic, why do bikes have round tires?

How can I cook a frozen burrito if my mom dosen't do it for me?

And why is op a homosexual?
>>
>>999321
This >>999322

Move to Logan Square and start riding a fixie. After the first crash, you will understand why freewheels are a thing.

>>999482
This^^^
>>
>>999482
>why do bikes have round tires?
why roads aren't made of catenaries?
>>
>>999492
>Logan Square
>living in Chimexico on purpose
>>
>>999516
Nope, gtfo of there 4 years ago.

It's a nice city but fuck the Democrats.
>>
>>999322
Kek. Been there
>>
>>999520
Fuck the democrats. Agreeeeeed
>>
>>999493
Imagine trying to turn on that bitch
>>
File: 1483221100561.jpg (12KB, 480x295px) Image search: [Google]
1483221100561.jpg
12KB, 480x295px
>>999367
you dont get it nigger. If you could read you would understand that i stated that i knew how the mechanism works. I just dont know WHY they picked that mechanism instead of going for a direct ratio.
>>
>>999492
i've rode and crashed bikes several times, never had shoelaces stuck on them and never reallly understood it.
>>
File: 99747603.jpg (147KB, 555x514px) Image search: [Google]
99747603.jpg
147KB, 555x514px
>>999545
>Fuck the democrats. Agreeeeeed
you never would be born without the democrats
>>
>>999597
Could you explain? Draw?
>>
>>999545
Lel I used to vote Dem and all that shit and hate the Republicans. But after I moved away from IL and 10% sales tax and came to FL with no state income tax, I started to hate the Democrats. I realized that it's possible to pay less in taxes and still have roads and schools and firefighters and that all of these Liberal quick fix programs of "tax the hard working middle class and give to those who just don't feel like working or learning a skill" just completely fuck up everything.

>>999600
It's not just about the shoelaces. If you aren't 100% confident on the fixie bikes, it's real easy to fuck your shit up. First time I rode one and realized you had to keep pedaling while trying to turn, it almost rekt me.
>>
File: IMG_3666.jpg (132KB, 920x462px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3666.jpg
132KB, 920x462px
>>999597
>why they picked that mechanism
Are you talking about the roughly 3:1 drive ratio or the freewheel design where you don't have to pedal all the time?

Because the ~3:1 ratio (on my BMX it's a 30T chainwheel and 10T on the hub so every 1 time I pedal, the rear wheel spins 3 times) is for the speed. If it were 1:1, it would be like a super low gear and would be about as fast as walking.

But the freewheel, you just need to ride a fixed gear. It uses up a lot more energy because your legs are always moving. You can't just coast downhill. Kinda destroys the benefits of the bicycle being an efficient mode of transportation.

Look into "Freecoasters". It's a type of hub made for BMX bicycles where you can be coasting in reverse and the pedals won't move backwards. They are more complicated than the typical freewheel but they could probably design something along those lines that allows you to pedal the bicycle backwards.
>>
>>999618
>>999597
Here's a good video about freecoasters. From the finest scientists and engineers in the BMX industry!

https://youtu.be/04O9q8-kRx4

He mentions the slack, that is the one annoying thing about that hub design. When you go to pedal, you have to move the cranks like 1/4 rotation before it starts to bite. You can normally adjust them and make the slack much less so it feels really close to a regular freewheel or casette, but then when you are going in reverse you have to keep your feet perfectly still or else it will catch and start spinning the cranks like a regular freewheel instead of coasting.

Basically you need to ride all of these- freecoaster, freewheel, and fixie- before you really know the advantages and disadvantages.
>>
>>999618
>It uses up a lot more energy because your legs are always moving. You can't just coast downhill. Kinda destroys the benefits of the bicycle being an efficient mode of transportation.
That...... Explains a lot. More friction in one way but less friction in the other.
>>
>>999321
pretty sure fixies go both ways, just like the faggots who ride them
>>
>>999637
Idk if it's about friction, but moreso that your legs actually have a chance to rest and you can coast on a regular bike and your legs never stop moving on a fixie.
>>
>>1000188
kek
>>
>>999321
Its a communist invention! Only by moving forward we can become more progressive. You arent a nazi, are you?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.