[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is using a spin rod and reel with a bubble and fly, fly fishing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 20170310_225332.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170310_225332.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Is using a spin rod and reel with a bubble and fly, fly fishing?
>>
>>998610
I don't know, but I do know that that's a nice fish.
>>
>>998610
I never learned to fly fish, never had any interest in doing so. I use a spinrod and rooster tails on trout streams and manage just fine.
>>
>>998729
Very relevant contribution.

>>998610
No.
>>
>>998610
It's not, but it doesn't matter.
>>
>>998610

desu it's how I fly fish, but have had all sorts of cockwombles on the bank kick off over it. I'd been doing the same to catch surface feeding mullet for years and didn't really know what I was getting into at first it just seemed a good way to fly fish without having to spend fortune on new gear. Give it a go I say!
>>
>>998733
Yeah, well fuck you too, bud.
>>
>>998610
Technically no, but who really cares.

That is a nice fish, btw.
>>
>>998610
it's spin fishing with flies. it's still a relevant method though. when you fish with flies you should note that fish don't often tend to swallow them so the set should be quick.
>>
>>998610
Yes, it's fly fishing. No, it isn't fly casting.
>>
>>998610
nice catfish
>>
>>998610
using a fly on spinning gear is fly fishing in the same way air ride and rims is a car build.
its not, and here's why: fly fishing entails using a weighted line to cast a very light fly (try casting a #14 elk hair caddis without a bubble and you'll see why a fly line is weighted)
what you're doing is using spin gear to cast a clear bobber with a dressed hook hanging off of it.

youre still getting a fly in the water but its not fly fishing
>>
>>1000773
>it's how I fly fish
its not flyfishing though
>>1002557
>it's fly fishing
its fishing with a fly, not fly fishing
>fly fishing is the whole process of using fly gear (tying a leader, tying on a fly, pulling fly line out of the reel, casting, mending for a drift or stripping a streamer, hooking a fish, stripping it in)
>fly casting is only the act of casting (false cast, cast)
>>
>>1002680
sounds like you need to get laid lad, or at least flyfish with a bubble float
>>
>>998610
As far as purists are concerned no, as far as laws are concerned usually yes. For example in my province you can only fish Crown reserve waters with a fly, but you are free to put that on any type of rod and reel.
>>
>>998610
Have I done it? Yes. Is it fly fishing? No. Do I fly fish? Yes.

Use what works, catch however you can. If you ain't cheating then you ain't fishing. Hell, I've rubbed cheese scent on a fly to catch fish and thrown live bait out there on traditional gear and checking that rod while fly fishing with my fly rig just to improve my chances.
>>
>>1002680
>its fishing with a fly, not fly fishing
Same thing. You might think otherwise but you are wrong.
>>
Fly fishermen are as cringey as bushcraft LARPer's
>>
>>998610

Hey is that a folding lockback Kershaw?
>>
>>1003263

It looks like the bear hunter 2 which i really like, but I can't seem to find it as a folder. need sauce on it pls preferably tartar.
>>
>>1003016
I used to fly fish. It's not really cringey. It's an extension on the fishing hobby. There is a creek I fish at that is less than a foot of water most of the year but has huge trout. There is no chance of me getting anything on a regular rod. Fly fishing lets me catch them.

I don't do it any more because of the hassle. As I get older I just like to relax in my chair with a jig in the water.
>>
How about putting a split shot weight right above the knot? So it's like a marabou jig.
>>
>>1003016

>I don't like the option of being able to use many kinds of flies - some so light that casting on a regular rod would be nigh impossible
>I also don't like artificial lures that can mimic the weight of bugs/etc much better than spinreal lures
>i r the patricianist

This is how fucking stupid you sound.
>>
>>1002678

This. What distinguishes fly fishing from conventional fishing is that you're casting the line, not the lure. At least, that's what I've read to believe as the standard definition and distinction.

It leads to interesting gray area, however, when you get into tight line, long leader nymphing methods where you don't want any fly line out of your rod guides because of drag. The competition guys use super heavy nymphs and their competition line is the same diameter as 30lb mono. They're casting nymphs, not fly line. Are they still fly fishing?
>>
>>998610

I would say at the very least if you aren't casting fly line then it isn't fly fishing. I don't mean that as an insult I just think that's the basic definition now that so many things (switch, Spey, tenkara, etc.) are popular.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.