[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /out/, I need to buy a new bicycle as my current one has been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

Hi /out/, I need to buy a new bicycle as my current one has been damaged beyond repair.

I'm probably looking to pick up a used bike on ebay, as I'm not made of money and they're super expensive for something half way decent.

I very infrequently cycle on actual trails, so I'm considering a hybrid, but I'm unsure. I normally cycle to and from work on a bobby, uphill, broken back road.

Could I get some general bike info and recommendations? What I should look out for or avoid? Thanks.
>>
>>998008
>>>/n/
>>
File: IMG_20170104_161639_409.jpg (1MB, 1369x1369px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170104_161639_409.jpg
1MB, 1369x1369px
>>998008

Well as for getting a hybrid I cycle my full sus trail bike to work up and down a shitty back road, about 2 miles each way, without any major issues and I'd comfortably go way further so if you want something to have fun on but are worried you won't be able to ride it to work I'd put that thought to rest. It is of course up to You, just saying it works just fine for me.
>>
>>998090
Suspension just sucks energy on pavement though, and on non technical trails you can make up for it with skill. I'd much rather ride a hybrid on easy or moderate trails than ride full sus mtb on the road.
>>
Yeti 575 if you can find one cheap, fuck the age.
Buy some cheap shit wheels with skinny tires for going to and from work.
Buy some Mavic 717s with highrollers for fucking around on.

I Built my 575 and it cost me almost £5,000 but look on Pinkbike, fuck eBay.
>>
>>998008
>Pinkbike
Where are you?
What's your price range?
>>
I fucks wit hardtails damn near exclusively(not counting my dh/freeride bike that rarely sees the light of day). You can find a good hardtail for much cheaper than a full suspension bike and would fit your needs just fine.

Specialized Rockhopper or Commencal HT AM are both solid choices.
>>
>>998008
Wal-mart unironically has good road bikes for like $80. They probably have good mountain bikes too.

I would try craigslist too, people can really undervalue good bikes.
>>
Surly Troll is virtually bomb proof. I've had mine for awhile and use it for touring mostly.
Really it's what ever your budget can handle. I've been able to build a few bikes for less then a grand and have bought most if not all of the components on eBay. Usually doing that you're going to get what you want rather than what comes with the bike.
>>
>>998114
Their hybrids, road bikes, and cruisers are fine but you probably aren't abusing any of those on singletracks, all mountain and Enduro trails, and dirt parks like an MTB. I've taken a walmart mongoose on my usual trails and ruined em most times.
>>
>>998148
Their hybrids are perfect for biking trails in the woods i never even iset a mtn bike for trails lol
>>
>>998158
Never even use a mtn bike*
>>
File: 17METAHTAMRBK_1_2000.jpg (497KB, 2000x1280px) Image search: [Google]
17METAHTAMRBK_1_2000.jpg
497KB, 2000x1280px
>>998158
I trust what you're saying bro. I just personally would prefer a quality hardball mountain bike for trails than a cheaper hybrid. I have an easier time commuting on my mountain bike than I have trail riding on a hybrid. However, if it gets you /out/ and riding and having a good time then I can't hate.
>>
>>998108
>i fucks wit

goddamn it you nigger
>>
>>998202
Nah. Lol I'm white. Grew up poor as all fuck in the south though.
>>
>>998187
Haha yeah, I ride my hybrid to work. 40 miles commute total every day. I always take the mountain bike trails through the parks to keep it interesting.
>>
>>998279
Hell yeah bro. Whatever gets you out and riding.
>>
Mtbr.com
Find everything you need, if you want cheap but still good components (90% of any frame cheap or expensive will last a while)

Bikesdirect.com
Just look at what you need and weight and parts it has, SLX components are very fucking solid, I do downhill and I have SLX cranks (from like 5 years ago) and besides a couple dents they are straight and true and haven't let me down, I'm still on the OEM bearings.
>>
>>998187
>I just personally would prefer a quality hardball mountain bike for trails than a cheaper hybrid.

Depends on how hard the trails are and how skilled you are (I suspect people who start with long travel suspension never learn how to hop a log or pick a line). And OP says he's riding mostly roads. Not all hybrids are cheap.
>>
>>998527
That response was intended for the guy talking about Walmart hybrids.

I'm all for getting whatever bike best suits your needs and wants. I'm also just speaking from personal experience and preference. I'm a disabled veteran so I'm not currently working and have a few mountain bikes for hitting trails when I'm not fly fishing or for riding to my psychiatrist appointments. Ride what you like.
>>
File: nishiki hybrid.jpg (103KB, 1305x633px) Image search: [Google]
nishiki hybrid.jpg
103KB, 1305x633px
Got this for Three Fiddy last week. I like it so far. Only had Wal Mart bikes before that didn't last too long.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nishiki-adult-anasazi-hybrid-bike-16nisanshknsz15xxdsb/16nisanshknsz15xxdsb
>>
File: pic.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>998008
Joining in, Pic related, need a new one that I could bring on the bus, what's the best folding bike for a broke ass?
>>
>>998114
>Good mountain bikes
No. If all OP wants is to ride up a fire road or equivalent to get to work, they'll work. but for the love of God don't take a Walmart bike on a technical trail.
Vid related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkMnk_eCDQU
>>
>>1003202

That said, for very moderate terrain, it would probably be perfectly ok. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3eUfZuo5Bg

Just make sure you go over the setup yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3eUfZuo5Bg
>>
>>1003205
It will probably break down fast though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtbj4V5x4U8
>>
I want to start cycling but I live in a flat area so I'd mostly focus on trails. What do you guys recommend as a beginner bike?
>>
>>998008

pretty plese go to /n/

they have a bike buying general.
as a bike enthusiast I urge you to make a informed decision
>>
>>1003202
How frightening
>>
90s rigid mtb with semislicks
>>>/n/bbg
>>
>>1003879
>>>/n/bbg
Stop being a fucking niggerfaggot and being so vague you fucking niggerfaggot
If by 'trails' you mean singletrack, then either a 90s rigid mtb from Craigslist or a used trail bike from pinkbike.com/buysell
If by 'trails' you mean paved cycle paths, then any of the following:
Kona Dew Plus
GT Tachyon
Trek FX
Specialized Sirrus
Cannondale Bad Boy
Giant Escape
Salsa Vaya
Surly Straggler
All-City Macho Man
Kona Jake
>>
>>1003879
Oh and if you mean paved trails, a cheap option is an OTS (old ten speed steel road bike) from Craigslist
>>998114
Lolno, go fuck yourself. If you are going to spend $80, get a used bike on Craigslist, not a BSO from Walmart.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.