[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grilling on a public campsite grill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: grill.jpg (233KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
grill.jpg
233KB, 500x500px
I'm embarrassed to admit I've never used one of these in my life. My gf and I are going to a campsite next month that will have one and we wanna use it to grill steaks.

I watched some videos on youtube and got a basic handle on it. I'm gonna fire up some charcoal, get the coals hot, spread them out and cook.

My questions:
Worth buying one of those chimney things to get it started? That allows me to use newspaper instead of lighter fluid, correct? Is chimney + kingsford blue bag the way to go? Or should I just get some match light charcoal?

It's gonna be kinda chilly. Like maybe 50 degrees when we're cooking dinner in the evening. Considering the grill won't be covered while the food is cooking, is this gonna be an issue?

How long to coals stay hot enough to cook food? Potatoes take like an hour to cook on a grill.
>>
>>997980
Shut up, nerd.
>>
>>997977
It'll be fine.
Go with the chimney, it's so much better.
Have a good meal with your gf, if you do a good job she will almost certainly give you a proper hand job.. Using her mouth.
>>
>>997977
Wewlad do not sweat it

First you want to scrape the living shit out of that grill

Throw some charcoal on under the grill, splash some lighter fluid, and hit it with a match/lighter

Naturally you will have hotter spots due to coal placement so figure that out and have meat on the hot spots

Potatoes in aluminum foil or just as is on the top of the grill? I absolutely hate foil but it does help hold moisture and heat for potatoes

If not using aluminum foil I can tell you what I do for baked potatoes; stab potato sufficiently with fork, pour some Olive oil (not extra virgin) and rub it in, pour some Kosher salt (muh shekels) and rub those 2 ingredients in well

90 minutes at 350*F in a household oven, definitely less than that over a campfire/grill but it will depend on the temperature

Worst case you can cut into the potato to determine if it is cooked
>>
>>997983
>too retarded to figure out how to work caveman technology
>calls someone else a nerd

Checks out
>>
>>997980
Everybody starts somewhere dude.
And most skilled "BBQ cooks" are shit as well.

>>997977
>Worth buying one of those chimney things to get it started?
No. Newspaper or egg carton will do. Put it on fire, shove it into the coal, be patient.
If you own a heatgun, have electricity on site and can spare the space to take it with you,it makes a good starter as well. Beware flying ash and sparks though.

>It's gonna be kinda chilly. Like maybe 50 degrees when we're cooking dinner in the evening. Considering the grill won't be covered while the food is cooking, is this gonna be an issue?
If the grill is hot, it's hot. Hover your hand over the grid about 2-3 inches, can you keep your hand there for more than a few seconds? It's not hot enough for most foods anyway. You can't? Well your food is directly ON the grid, so make a guess if it will be an issue.
If your grill gets too cold over the session, just add more coal. Not too much at once though.

>How long to coals stay hot enough to cook food? Potatoes take like an hour to cook on a grill.
Depends on the kind and quality of your coal, but then: see above.
>>
>>997990
If you use lighter fluid and involuntarily end up with uneven heat, you are shit at BBQing.
>>
>>997994
He wasn't asking how to cook he was asking how to prepare a BBQ. If you have to go on 4chan to figure that out then you are genuinely pants on head retarded.

Seriously Op do us all a favor and swallow a revolver
>>
>>997997
Who hurt you today?
>>
>>997997
YOU

NOW FUCK OFF
>>
>>997990
Nah I dont wanna use lighter fluid. I dont like the smell. I've always wrapped potatoes in foil when I cook them.

>>997994
>newspaper or egg carton
Good tip. We go through lots of eggs. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>997999
Checked

And no one. I'm just sick of downies posting threads asking questions that elementary children could figure out
>>
>>997977
>get a coal starter
>dont over fill it with either starting fuel or coal
>wait untill coals turn white on the surface and dont smoke as much
>dump coals out and spread em
success
>>
niggerfaggot
>>
>>997997
Kinda missed the point did you?
Most people never ask and then do shit to their food or their grills. The latter sometimes ending up outright dangerous.
And assuming OP is American, many there never or rarely use charcoal, so it's not unheard of that even adults asking this.

I'm sorry about whatever put you in this mood, Anon. Really.
We are here for you as well.
>>
>>998009
>what is a 5 second google search

You're only aiding these idiots.

Also if he is American and has never cooked with charcoal then that's just down right pathetic and I think he has bigger issues to worry about (seeing his gynecologist) then wondering how to properly light a fucking grill

It's like me making a post "uh hey guyz so uh I'm going camping for the first time and am wondering how to go about boiling some water? I'm pretty sure I need like a pot or something right? What kinda water should I be using? How much? What temperature should I set the burner? Thanks in advance fellas
:)"

>>998007
This man gets it
>>
>>997980
fpbp
>>
>>998024
Friend, I hope that you have a very nice day and spend a ton of time /out/ in the future. Remember, the only way to be less retarded is to ask others. When you have something you need help with, sc/out/s will be here to help.
>>
>>997977
>Worth buying one of those chimney things to get it started?

When I buy tools, I always look at them from several perspectives. Specifically I'm trying to see what else I can use that tool. Those $8 charcoal starter chimneys are pretty damn cheap, built pretty sturdy, and can be used as a wood burning hobo stove if you place a grill over it for cooking.

As you can see from these images you can use it for more than something to start charcoal.

>How long to coals stay hot enough to cook food?

You can normally cook a good amount of food using charcoal without needing to add more. Certainly enough for 2 people.

>Potatoes take like an hour to cook on a grill.

Baked potatoes? You can do those at home then bring them with you to reheat or as sliced baked potato medallions. If you really want to bake them it is faster to bake potato halves. Slice them length ways.

>the grill won't be covered while the food is cooking

Not an issue, but you can bring a pot and turn it upside down over the food.
>>
>>998037
>the only way to be less retarded is to ask others
and when others tell you to look that shit up, you do, become less retarded, and stop starting retarded threads like this
>>
>>997977
I always bring a wire brush and grill on good foil. Im 31 and i cant cook either anon. Was gonna try but everytime i look at my smoker i get depressed. Buddy was gonna teach me and never got the chance. Probably just sell the fucker soon and give it up
>>
>>997997
Op asks how to grill as all men should. Gets btfo by salty anon who cannot cook. Anon calm yourself. Just because he needs lessons manning a grill doesnt mean he needs to blowjob a pistol. Fucks sake contain your autism or at least try
>>
>>998024
Being THIS salty.

Wew
>>
File: IMG_4046.jpg (2MB, 3024x3050px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4046.jpg
2MB, 3024x3050px
>>998110
>implying

Kek
>>
>>998121
It's raw, faggot
>>
>>998121
The warmth of my farts could cook that meat more than you did.
>>
>>998121
looks fucking d'licious
>>
>>998508
i have an issue with biting the fucking cow dude
>>
>>998510
No offense but you have to be 18 to post on this board
>>
I wonder how hard it is to stuff a carboard bag full of charcoal into that grill and then light the bag on fire
>>
>>998109
Best thing to do is start experimenting. Don't go high dollar stuff, but just get to doin. Nothing makes a grill cook like experience.
>>
>>997977
How are you going to get the "chimney thing" out? The grill part moves but doesnt come off. Just go buy yourself a cheap hibachi or a round webber.

Using the public grill is poverty teir.
>>
>>997977
Don't be embarrassed. I never used one of these things until last year. I always thought they were just rusted out things that nobody bothered removing but thankfully I was wrong. First off make sure everything functions, especially the ability to move the grill up and down and there aren't any gaping holes from idiots who overdid it and kick it to make sure it's stable.Then either a) scrape the ever living shit out of the grill, or b0 use some foil with holes poked in it. You might have to clean some ash off depending on if the person who used it before you was an lazy ass or not.

I didn't cook in 50 degree weather. I used some easy light charcoal and paper towels submerged in oil as an initial way to start it. The coals stayed hot for about 30 mins or so for me, I dumped some on probably prematurely though.
>>
yes get a chimney starter. its fucking easy and lighter fluid is for rednecks and ghetto negros...also, who want a burger that tastes like jet fuel?
>>
>>997997
Go gatekeep on Reddit, asshole.

>>997977
OP do us all a favor and have a good time with your gf.
>>
>>998121
You overcooked it.
>>
File: IMG_20170422_200308.jpg (2MB, 2419x2380px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170422_200308.jpg
2MB, 2419x2380px
>>997977
>Get a chimney starter
>Keep it forever because charcoal is superior
>Buy natural lump charcoal
>Spread a thin layer of it out
>Fill the chimney with coal
>Light the paper
>Enjoy

Pic related
>>
>>997977
Op, you do know I shit in those things?
>>
>>999494
>going to all that effort over a fucking hotdog

Stay broke, cheap ass faggot.
>>
>>999505
Degenerate.

Don't breed, kid.
>>
>>999513
Too late.

The irony is you're my son, son.
>>
File: IMG_20170422_195805.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170422_195805.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
>>999509
Enjoy your flavorless meat lazy propane nigger
>>
>>999494
Ya fuckin burned em and ruined em ya maroon wastin coal and Killin da planet
>>
>>998510
This type of over moderation is what ruined /ck/
We cant call a guy a pleb for eating well done meat here?
Really?
I hope this mod was just passing through and not a member here on this board.
This is a bummer man.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.