[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living in nature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

Have any of you ever lived, alone or with family, in a wilderness area?

It's always been my dream to live in a rural cabin like pic related, in the middle of a natural park. Been thinking about it though, and I worry that I'd get really depressed if I ever had that level of isolation. Don't you get really lonely without even indirect human contact? I think personally I'd need to be within a few miles of a medium-sized dwelling or I'd just go crazy.
>>
>>997286
I worry about the same thing. Seems like a good idea now, but will you go mad when it gets real?

Technoprimativism needs to be more of a thing. If you could pull off some internet connection, your chances of madness would decrease immensely, but autism will likely increase proportionally.
>>
>>997341
This. You ever talk to a truck driver? They get out their amd get weird and wont shit the fuck up. I work alone and honestly hate dealing with people. If i wasnt married id be in an off grid cuckshack
>>
>>997286
Maybe you should try solo hiking before asking this question and starting a thread about it
>>
>>997286
I went to my off the grid cabin alone. Thinking it would be quiet and relaxing.
It was not. I went insane. Was extremely bored. Jerked it 50 times a day. Startes talking to myself.
It sucked.
>>
>>997353
I live in central London, there's nowhere to solo hike at the moment.
>>
I lived on the edge of interior Alaska for a while and met a lot of folks that lived off grid. Even the weirdest, scraggliest hermits would come into town once in a while to have a beer or see some friends.

We're social creatures, we need even a little group contact every once in a while.
>>
>>997382
Damn that sucks. You should visit the US. Pretty sure yellowstone is bigger than all of the UK
>>
>>997947
Yellowstone is 8,000 square km compared to the UK's 242,000 square km so not quite, though I understand what you're getting at. I've never visited the States but I've always had a fascination with the Pacific Northwest in particular. Spent a summer in Alberta a couple years ago and Banff and Jasper were pretty much heaven on earth. Would like to visit Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and BC too - so much natural beauty in that part of the world.

If I'd grown up there I could just live in a city or town and then have a cabin for weekends and holidays, but it's not so easy being a Brit. I'd have to take a big leap into moving out there, and there's every chance it would only make me miserable. Plus I don't know how I'd cope with the long freezing winters you guys have.
>>
>>998060
Move to Australia. I'm an aussie who just moved to the uk and idk how you guys stand it. So miserable here, beaches are shit, mountains are shit, weather is miserable, wages are shit, overpopulated as shit, and it's almost impossible to get a big property that no one can see into. Also everyone wears tracksuits. Glad to be leaving.

Jk is nice country but no good for /out/
>>
>>998086
I don't say this to be rude, but even though I love travelling I've never really had the desire to visit Australia. Most of your wilderness is far from comfy and completely uninhabitable. There are still some places in Aus that I'd like to visit some day, but it's way down the list for me - I'm afraid I'd much rather go to New Zealand. That's not to say that England is any better though.
>>
>>997347
Go live in a cabin and leave the wife at home. Soon your house will be the cuckshack.
>>
>>997341

> implying i don't want my very own crazy shack in the woods.
>>
>>998093
Try Finland or Sweden during summer. Just don't go far far north during midsummer, the sun won't set and there's a billion mosquitoes waiting for fresh blood.. But overall the nature is clean and hospitable, also the water is safe to drink pretty much everywhere.

Also to OP, my family owns a couple of cabins in the countryside/wilderness(almost everyone does in Finland) and I spend a week or two in both each year with my gf. It's super comfy.
>>
>>998155
this. being around people makes me crazy. i am at peace when i am alone with books. although it's funny, as much as i hate people, when i was homeless in the past i lived by train tracks and i honestly loved it when the train came by. it was my company. but yah nah, give me a solar panel and kindle and i'm gone
>>
>>998170
That sounds very comfy, not had the opportunity to visit Scandinavia yet, although I'd like to soon. Will you give me a cabin please?
>>
>>997286
I live in a static in the lake district (UK) about 15 miles from anywhere noteworthy. It's on a farm with one neighbor. I have electricity and pluming also get the net with a dongle so it's not totally off grid or anything

But Still it was kinda tough at first, the hardcore will call me a pussy but meh. A dog helps and a love for the fells too. In the spring and summer i wild camp too. It took a while to settle in and time to get used to it being a city boy. But now i wouldn't have any other way, hunting gardening growing veg small livestock. After 2 years here i found a gf who loves it here too.Sex, bj's living out the way from the BS perfect life.

If you don't have that much to lose and love the outdoors Go for it.
>>
>>998336
What do you do to make money out of interest?
>>
>>998346
For nestle, it sucks and it's a fair drive away
>>
Lived in Daniel Boone National Forest for 3 months solo.

Rough(very it was 4 or 5 years ago) gear list
-kelty redcloud 110L
-8x12 tarp
-4 litres of wayer containers
-small fishing pole
-ruger 10/22 with box of 500 rounds(WAY MORE THAN NEEDED)
-set of wool socks and overalls for random shit weather
-skinning and fillet knife
-med kit mostly consisting of rubbing alcohol and bandage wraps
-a dickload of socks
-salt and spicy salt
-very nice waterproof 0 degree sleeping bag(didnt get nearly that cold)
-wool blanket
-2 person 3 season tent
-500ft of paracord for random uses
-plastic bags for sinking meat in cold creeks to preserve

Could probably go into more detail thats just off the top of my head
>>
>>998356
Water containers*
>>
I plan on doing this in 3-4 years, already bought a 5 acre piece of land in Alaska (near a lake) been doing a ton of research, would bring 2-3 years of food just until the 1 year sub-sistent living restriction comes off (after a year your considered a resident and can do so).
But I would get my hunting and fishing license up there so I could get a tag and fish some in the mean time. Along with a dog or two.
Now just slowing selling off my items/electronics to put in my savings for when I do. But land is mine, now just a couple more guns in bigger calibers (I have 22lr/.223BA, 12 gauge (18.5/28 inch barrels). Stocking up ammo and brass and I'll end up shipping it (fucking expensive) but i also have reloading gear (all new) that I'll end up using(I have ~14k of spent brass and about 7k new).
Been looking around if anyone is serious in joining, we can talk price and split the land and be roommates or you can build your own cabin on my land. I'm in nor cal currently.
>>
>>997370
Get a dog.
>>
>>998409
I had one. He died recently. Every time we went to the cabin, he would get 1,000,000 ticks.
Even when i gave him meds or a collar. He would get sick and still get ticks.
RIP in peace puppers. No more ticks. Only sleep
>>
>>998411
Rip to your puppers. There is ways to keep them off but not the best for your dog either way. I'd recommend buying one wherever you end up going because usually they breed them and they have higher tolerance to that shit.
Also depends on the area, I have a rat terrier rn (it was my moms dog but she couldn't care for it anymore) I thought him how to hunt rats (he was already going after them right away and smelling for them) and he got a tick on his chest and I ripped that fucker out before it dig deep (this was a couple hours after wards) and he's been fine since.
But when I move to Alaska I'll have to sadly give him away to a friend.
>>
New Zealand is fantastic in the south Island with the best views
>>
>>998336
For some reason I've still not made it up to the Lake District, even though it's perhaps the nicest /out/ region in the UK. Not been up to the Scottish Highlands or Snowdonia in Wales either, all 3 are on my list for this year. With the exception of the Highlands though, I don't think any of them are even close to being as remote as the North American national parks (although maybe that would be a good compromise for me).

Was it expensive setting up out there? From what I know about the region, it's a place where lots of rich people like to retire or have a holiday home, so I'd have thought that makes land/property quite pricey.
>>
>>998411
A little off topic but an awesome alternative to stopping those pesky ticks is giving your next pup a teaspoon of Nigella sativa oil with his/her food a day before your outdoor adventure, and every day there until you leave.. Our pup has been tic free ever since I've introduced it to his diet! Makes coming back from our hikes not such a double downer.. I sympathise with the loss of your buddy, they're the best companion for any outdoor adventure
>>
>>Your right, there not even close to being as remote the US national parks, But it abit of wild camping in those areas would be a good place to start, Just to find out how much you want and enjoy to be /out
>>
>>998675
Yeah I guess, I think my ideal place would be somewhere a few miles out of town, maybe on the edge of a national park rather than right in the middle of it.
>>
>>997286
i would want to live with someone else. plus i could read and write all the time. my main problem would be being miles away from the nearest hospital
>>
>>998408
Once I get out of the army I'm totally moving up there
>>
File: out.png (3MB, 1655x930px) Image search: [Google]
out.png
3MB, 1655x930px
>>998060
I grew up in Colorado and I live in Wyoming now. The winters are long and freezing in Colorado (snow on the ground for 4-5 months straight with 2-3 more months of melting snowfall), but there are enough people and social things going on that it's doable. Wouldn't recommend it for someone not used to interior continental winters, but you can work your way up to it.
Wyoming is completely different. It's a bit colder, a lot windier, and the winters are longer, but it's mostly the lack of human interaction that gets you. I'm a reasonably sociable guy and thought I would be fine living away from people for a while, but this last winter I would only see people once or maybe twice a week, and even more rarely talk to them. Mostly I was just staying inside and shitposting and trying not to think too much about suicide.
The Western U.S. is beautiful in the summer though. If you're thinking about visiting I would recommend summer for all those states you listed as you'll never run out of things to see and do outdoors.
Pic related from Rocky Mountain National Park in October a few years ago. Even better in the summer in my opinion.
>>
>>997382
>>997947

It's not exactly wilderness per se, but take a week or a couple if you can and do one of the Scottish highland tracks. Very senic. A night bus up to Scotland is pretty cheap if thats an issue. If the West Highland Way or the Great Glen Way are too touristy/busy for you to get the individual experience you want, maybe try the (unofficial) East Highland Way? Yes, you'll be seeing other people, but only in passing and you'll have a lot of time to think to yourself.

That being said, the kind of temporary catharsis you get from a nice weeklong trip would probably wear off if you went full hermit for months or years on end. No personal experience but I would think they are two different animals.
>>
>>997394
This. Its just about managing the social contact on your own terms.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.