[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Medical emergency while /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

How do you deal with accidents or sickness while hiking? Let's say you cut yourself badly with an axe. How can you limit blood loss and prevent shock? I'm a klutz and shit like this will most likely happen. How do deal? I don't want to die.

Also, what is the worst medical emergency you've had while /out/?
>>
>>996223
>Let's say you cut yourself badly with an axe. How can you limit blood loss and prevent shock?
You learn what you're doing and take care when wielding the axe so you you don't hurt yourself that badly in the first place.

> I'm a klutz and shit like this will most likely happen. How do deal? I don't want to die.
Learn not to be such a klutz before you go further /out/ than the ambulance can get. If you're still an adolescent or post-adolescent, wait til you turn 25.
>>
>>996223
Proper axe handling technique reduces chance of injury to essentially nothing.
>>
>>996223
The first rule is to use your brain and don't get hurt. Second rule is to not go out alone. Cut yourself with an axe and you'll probably go into shock before you can react if not shortly there after. Wilderness emergency medical treatment is mostly improvising which what your environment is. Best thing to do is get with someone else locally and go out with mock scenarios. Take a class on basic first aid or first responder stuff.
>>
>>996223
I've done some stupid things while /out/ and had to deal with people in bad situations but always managed to get back ok. If something happens take the time to think of a proper solution, if it's a bad injury treat it as best you can and call for help or get someone there to get assistance. Panicking and trying to get out on your own really isn't a good idea, depending on the injury sometimes you're better off to just lay there for a while to relax and think of how to deal with it.
>>
>>996223
scream as loud as you can, someone will hear your cries for help
move quickly, you are bleeding profusely, time is of the essence, run for help if you have to
walk the dinosaur, because you're about to be extinct
>>
>>996223
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XseddmKWugQ&t
>>
Carry a small practical first aid kit. When I say practical I mean filled with stuff to keep you alive instead of sutures and other meme stuff that won't help you.

>few band aids
>aspirin
>Imodium
>Benadryl
>roller gauze
>triangle bandages
>ace bandage
>some sort of tornequet

Then learn the proper way to use them all.
>>
>>996223
I found the WFA course that NOLS offers to be pretty useful. They sell inexpensive kits of various sizes. Course book is "wilderness medicine" by Tod Schimelpfenig.

In short, first apply pressure until the bleeding stops. Then clean and bandage the wound. If it's small enough, close it with adhesive strips. If it's too large, leave it open and clean it regularly. Israeli bandages (available online and popular) have a compression feature built in.

If you're really and truly in the back woods, you do NOT want to use quik clot. The philosophy behind that assumes quick medical care (get shot, get quikclotted, thrown on a helicopter). The stuff can take surgery to remove and will prevent cleaning the wound. Not good if you're hiking out.

Same goes for closing cuts with cyanoacrylate glue (e.g. superglue or vetbond, the latter of which is better tolerated by the body).

Tourniquets are a last resort for uncontrollable bleeding, be ready to lose the limb and/or patient.
>>
>>996273
i am not cutting a tree into logs unless i absolutely have to.
>>
>>996302
You should read up on the newest research into tourniquets. It's no longer considered limb threatening when done properly. They've found it's very effective at stopping serious bleeding, with very little risk of damage to the limb. In fact in my state now every ambulance is required to have a commercial tourniquet.

If you can't get to a hospital within a few hours however, leaving that tourniquet on will most certainly cause long term damage. If you can get to medical care in under a few hours, its fine. Even prolonged tourniquet use has found favorable outcomes in limbs that were effected, but you need to seek medical care asap if a tourniquet is used.

Just remember OP, 99.9% of all bleeding can be stopped with continuous direct pressure, and elevating the injury.
>>
>>996223
>How do you deal with accidents or sickness while hiking?
Prevention first, but I keep a basic first aid kit with a handkerchief, antidiuretics, ethenol and painkillers.
>Also, what is the worst medical emergency you've had while /out/?
Personally? Mild heat stress when I was on a long hike with no local water source. Wasn't much to do but drink some water with a bit of salt when I found some.
>>
>>996223
>cat tourniquets
>swat tourniquets
>quickclot/celox impregnated gauze
>tape
>more tape
>Israeli or H compress bandages
>triangle bandage

If you need anything else you're pretty much fucked.
>>
do one thing at a time. pause often, wait, look, listen, think.
>>
>>996223
>Let's say you cut yourself badly with an axe.
i'm not a woman
>>
>>996273
what a bunch of autism as far as i'm concerned. it's alright he teaches this to kids i suppose, but don't take these vids too seriously. i have been practicing axe handling techniques that would send this guy screaming up the next tree and haven't got a paper cut. all kinds of bad shit happened to me like sprained ankles broken nails, cut from knife while carving... a cut from an axe is pretty hard to accomplish.
>>
>>996548
>do one thing at a time. pause often, wait, look, listen, think.
Make sure to not pause and wait at the same time though.
>>
>>996554
if you are so willing to have disrespect for him you cant convince me you are anything but a petulant child. if you need man-validation, get it elsewhere from a safety thread
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.