[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woodstoves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: sticks_and_debris.jpg (932KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
sticks_and_debris.jpg
932KB, 1280x853px
1. Can you get a good cooking fire with sticks and forest debris (smaller sticks and dry leaves)?

2. How much debris do you think it would take to hard boil 4 eggs? Try to measure it out in "plastic grocery bags".
>>
File: rocket stoves.png (852KB, 849x1097px) Image search: [Google]
rocket stoves.png
852KB, 849x1097px
>>995829
It depends on the stove. Normally a meal on a rocket stove is only a handful of sticks about 6-8 inches long and as thick as your finger. Then again it depends on how windy things are, what you are cooking, how wet/dry the fuel its, if you are using a wind guard, the type of cooking vessel used, etc.

>How much debris do you think it would take to hard boil 4 eggs? Try to measure it out in "plastic grocery bags".

Like 1/20th to 1/15th of a plastic grocery bag of debris.
>>
The oddly specific nature of your second question has mad me reluctantly curious.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>995829
Rocket stoves dont gassify.
Get one of these , not sure what they are called.
>>
>>995840
Those don't gassify either. It isn't large enough to gassify and it isn't forced air. It needs to be much taller to have a strong enough draft or it needs a fan to give it draft enough to gassify. There's not even a hint of a blue flame in those small ones that are not forced air.
>>
>>995846
This. It's not a true gassifier, it's just a more efficient stick stove.
>>
>>995846
>>995848
They do gassify . It works on a vacuum created by hot air rising in the sealed outer area
>>
>>995875
That's just a chimney effect. The color of the flame tells you how well it is working and what types of gases it is making and burning. It needs to have at least some blue flames and those do not.
>>
>>995896
Its venturi effect.
take a closer look. flame shoots out the 1/4 inch holes in the top
>>
>>995902
>Its venturi effect.

Yup.

The flames are still red-orange.
>>
>>995904
Blue flame does not mean gasification.
It only means that you have reached a certain temperature. gasification can occur at much lower temps than blue flame
>>
>>995829
Is a stove something that I need? I plan on cooking on an open fire if need be a U pit. Should I invest/build one? I don't do anything much more than one nighters
>>
>>995912
You should probably read up on the subject before replying next time, kid.
>>
>>995915
No need unless there are laws in your area about open fires. Or, you live in an area with lots of tree roots on or near the surface. I normally dig a few inches into the ground to check for big roots before building a fire on the spot.
>>
>>995960
You are the one falsely asserting that gasification requires blue flame.
The blue flame comes form the forced air that some units have.
You can achieve blue flame with a simple forge and bellows , no gasification needed.
>>
>>996048
We are talking about woodgas stoves, not forges. If you can't keep up with the conversation please leave.
>>
>>996515
mentioned forges to dispute the assertion that blue gas is the result of gasification.
Please work on reading comprehension
>>
>>995960
He's right though.
>>
>little tin can wood burning stove is a woodgas stove

Horse shit. It merely has a novel flue and nothing else. They are as effective and efficient as a rocket stove. In fact, they are rocket stoves in that they have a second burn of flue gasses since the flue is getting hotter than a normal stove. That's all. You can updraft, down draft, or whatever and it still won't be an actual woodgas stove. Woodgas stoves are a completely different thing. You can draw and post all the diagrams you want, they are not really woodgas stoves.
>>
>>996600
>>996600
>they are rocket stoves in that they have a second burn of flue gasses
All stoves that do this are woodgas stoves.
>>
>>996620
This conversation's getting very mixed up. Woodgas is created and combusted in any stove, even in a campfire, but to a smaller degree. No stove is purely a woodgas stove unless there isn't actually solid wood in the combustion chamber, but I've never heard of a stove that operates like that.

It's a spectrum; some wood stoves create more woodgas than others because of greater heat and draft.
>>
>>996770
We are specifically talking about small gasifier stoves colloquially called "woodgas stoves."

Gasifier stoves create carbon monoxide, hydrogen and carbon dioxide (woodgas) without actually burning the wood; after which those gases are what are burned.

People just don't understand the concept and apply the label incorrectly. They do the same with rocket stoves. It is so bad that now even wikis and "nu-experts" are saying it is correct. It reminds me of the batonny chop chop trend.
>>
>>995833
>>995840
>>995846
>>995848
>>995875
>>995896
>>995902
>>995904
>>995912
>>995960
>>996048
>>996515
>>996559
>>996600
>>996620
>>996770
>>996818
This thread reminds me of that time I came home from school and asked my parents what was for dinner They started arguing, first about dinner and then about the cost and dietary relevance of specific foods. After about an hour, they finally came to my room to give me an answer: "we're getting divorced". That was when I started cooking for myself.

>>995829
>Can you get a good cooking fire with sticks and forest debris
Yup
>>995829
>How much debris do you think it would take to hard boil 4 eggs?
Since it seems like you're planning on using pine wood and a crude fire pit, it'll probably depend on how much moisture is in the wood you burn.
>>995829
>Try to measure it out in "plastic grocery bags".
You'll have to convert the measurements from woodsman to consumerist on your own, but you're looking at about 1-2 deadfall branches, depending on how much water you plan on boil them in.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.